What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blounts breakout game? (1 Viewer)

RealReactions

Footballguy
If Ridley is to miss this game does blount have a breakout game. Bolden was seen limping so he is clearly not healthy and right now it seems blount is the only one. Or what if ridley is fine and was just nursing a minor injury and plays will it be this breakout game? Just curious on this NE rb situation.

I think Blount's breakout game was 10/31/2010 when he put up 120 yards and 2 TD's vs Arizona.

Unfortunately if he has a good game this week, his only value is if you actually started him this week due to injury or bye week. I don't see him becoming a trustworthy every week starter.

I truly don't think anyone can answer this one. It is too hard to tell with the Pats. If Ridley is inactive,I say role with Blount,but if not,too risky in my opinion. Just my .02. Bolden was seen limping yesterday but practiced today, I believe.

Just curious as a ridley owner. I have ap on a bye and am thinking about rolling out blount just for the week if ridley sits and bolden is on injury report. I have ridley and do not know what to do if he is playing

I can't blame anyone for starting Blount if you're in a bind. He'll definitely get some carries, but I think hoping for some kind of "breakout game" is hoping for too much. Blount is a power runner who doesn't really fit what the Pats do, and I can't imagine the Pats being content to pound the ball for 3 yards a pop all day. He has a role on the team, which is to protect the ball and gain tough yards when the game is in well in hand. Of course, maybe the Pats do get a big lead early and do just that in which case Blount may end up with a stat line of 15 carries for 45 yards and a TD. Or perhaps he breaks another long one which would bump those stats way up, but it still wouldn't be a "breakout" performance as Blount will never have a major role consistently in this offense because that's just not what they do.

I think if anyone has a chance for a breakout game, it's Bolden. His versatility fits exactly what the Pats do and from what I've seen (as a Pats homer who watches every game) Belichick likes and trusts him. If Bolden is ready to go, he could be used extensively in both run and pass situations, which maintains unpredictability and keeps opposing defenses guessing as opposed to the limited skill set and predictability that Blount brings to the table. I could see Bolden getting 10/40/1 rushing, and 7/60/1 receiving, with Blount getting clean up duty. Again, it all hinges on Bolden's status, but between Bolden and Blount, only Bolden has a chance to vault himself into a major role as the starting all-purpose back for the Pats going forward. Even then, Blount, Ridley, and Vereen when he returns will all still have roles in this offense, so all of these guys will have some kind of value. But if I had to pick one of them for the rest of the season it would be Bolden. This week is a huge opportunity for him, I just hope the knee doesn't prevent him from taking advantage of it.

I also want to add that I'm not trying to rain on the Blount parade. I just think that if you're looking for a RB with a chance to breakout and contribute to your fantasy team on a consistent basis for the rest of the season then Bolden may be a better guy to target than Blount. Even if Blount has a big game with Bolden injured this week, I'd still take Bolden long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Bolden came away gimpy after last week's game. He'll play a secondary role, if at all. In Blount this week, think '11 BJGE. Primary between the tackle ball carrier who will rely on volume and goal-line oppty for fantasy relevance. Boom or Bust flex play this week, contingent on those goalline opportunities. I'm forced to roll with him this week, with Martin on BYE, i have a hunch he'll be relevant.

Throw out 2/3 of the playbook if Blount is in the game - I think that Bolden (or Washington if Bolden is out) will have a big game.

Guys that patriots have always been able to adapt - they trouted an end of the Road Correy Dillon and made him pretty valuable. Ridley has been underwhelming - if Blount comes out and does what we have seen him do before (ie a big punisher witha a 3rd gear) he may lock down the 15 touches a week that Ridley previously had.

Don't count him out.

I can't blame anyone for starting Blount if you're in a bind. He'll definitely get some carries, but I think hoping for some kind of "breakout game" is hoping for too much. Blount is a power runner who doesn't really fit what the Pats do, and I can't imagine the Pats being content to pound the ball for 3 yards a pop all day. He has a role on the team, which is to protect the ball and gain tough yards when the game is in well in hand. Of course, maybe the Pats do get a big lead early and do just that in which case Blount may end up with a stat line of 15 carries for 45 yards and a TD. Or perhaps he breaks another long one which would bump those stats way up, but it still wouldn't be a "breakout" performance as Blount will never have a major role consistently in this offense because that's just not what they do.

I think if anyone has a chance for a breakout game, it's Bolden. His versatility fits exactly what the Pats do and from what I've seen (as a Pats homer who watches every game) Belichick likes and trusts him. If Bolden is ready to go, he could be used extensively in both run and pass situations, which maintains unpredictability and keeps opposing defenses guessing as opposed to the limited skill set and predictability that Blount brings to the table. I could see Bolden getting 10/40/1 rushing, and 7/60/1 receiving, with Blount getting clean up duty. Again, it all hinges on Bolden's status, but between Bolden and Blount, only Bolden has a chance to vault himself into a major role as the starting all-purpose back for the Pats going forward. Even then, Blount, Ridley, and Vereen when he returns will all still have roles in this offense, so all of these guys will have some kind of value. But if I had to pick one of them for the rest of the season it would be Bolden. This week is a huge opportunity for him, I just hope the knee doesn't prevent him from taking advantage of it.

I also want to add that I'm not trying to rain on the Blount parade. I just think that if you're looking for a RB with a chance to breakout and contribute to your fantasy team on a consistent basis for the rest of the season then Bolden may be a better guy to target than Blount. Even if Blount has a big game with Bolden injured this week, I'd still take Bolden long term.
For not liking a power run game Ridley did well last year as did their run game. Guess I don't see how you can say they don't like it.

PPR: I'd rather roll with Bolden if he's active.
injured.
Last I heard Bolden was limping, listed as questionable with a knee issue, and limited in practice. Unless questionable becomes doubtful or inactive, you certainly can't count him out. Maybe he's been limited simply because Belichick plans on using him a lot on Sunday. The limp is obviously a concern, but this may be one of those times where a coach makes it clear to a player that the team needs them on the field and the player is just going to have to suck it up and play. Put yourself in Bolden's shoes. You were an undrafted RB. The coach has made it clear that he, and the team, needs you on the field. If you play and play well you may take over as the #1 RB for the Patriots. If you don't play, you may never have this chance again, on any team, ever again. If I'm Bolden, I tell the coach I'm good to go, I tell the team doctor to give me as much pain killer as possible, and I play through any remaining pain as long as I can possibly tolerate it.

For not liking a power run game Ridley did well last year as did their run game. Guess I don't see how you can say they don't like it.
I didn't say the Pats didn't like a power run game. They utilize it when appropriate but they don't revolve around it, which is why Blount will continue to have a role but may not have a "breakout game" and that's what this thread is about. I guess it depends what you consider a breakout game. I take it to mean that based on one game's performance, the player's value then shoots up due to a dramatic increase in expected production going forward. I don't see that happening with Blount even if he plays well. On the other hand, I can see that happening with Bolden if he plays well, and that's based on the Pats offense in general.I also question whether or not Blount really wants his role to increase dramatically. Seems like the type of player who's content being a role player versus a young undrafted player like Bolden looking to make a name for himself.

Brady has the break out game of the year, the Pats will pass, pass and pass more, Cinni is decent against the run, so I would not expect to much from the running game. Bolden will be golden in ppr

satch said:
ImTheScientist said:
satch said:

I didn't say the Pats didn't like a power run game. They utilize it when appropriate but they don't revolve around it, which is why Blount will continue to have a role but may not have a "breakout game" and that's what this thread is about. I guess it depends what you consider a breakout game. I take it to mean that based on one game's performance, the player's value then shoots up due to a dramatic increase in expected production going forward. I don't see that happening with Blount even if he plays well. On the other hand, I can see that happening with Bolden if he plays well, and that's based on the Pats offense in general.I also question whether or not Blount really wants his role to increase dramatically. Seems like the type of player who's content being a role player versus a young undrafted player like Bolden looking to make a name for himself.
Blount is only one year older, also undrafted, yet has a 1000 yard season under his belt. Some of what you are saying makes no sense. Seems like you don't know much about Blount tbh.

satch said:
MAC_32 said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
injured.
Last I heard Bolden was limping, listed as questionable with a knee issue, and limited in practice. Unless questionable becomes doubtful or inactive, you certainly can't count him out. Maybe he's been limited simply because Belichick plans on using him a lot on Sunday. The limp is obviously a concern, but this may be one of those times where a coach makes it clear to a player that the team needs them on the field and the player is just going to have to suck it up and play. Put yourself in Bolden's shoes. You were an undrafted RB. The coach has made it clear that he, and the team, needs you on the field. If you play and play well you may take over as the #1 RB for the Patriots. If you don't play, you may never have this chance again, on any team, ever again. If I'm Bolden, I tell the coach I'm good to go, I tell the team doctor to give me as much pain killer as possible, and I play through any remaining pain as long as I can possibly tolerate it.
whatever you have to tell yourself to justify starting a pats back.

A lot of us are stuck starting a Pats back this week. I have ADP, Morris and Le'veon Bell out. Will Blount break out? I don't think a break out game is possible in the Pat's offense for Blount. Just to many mouths to feed and Belichick's constantly shifting game plan probably won't allow it. Still, if he runs over the Bengals for 100+ yards (not likely) he could force Belichick to feed him or more at Ridley's expense.

One of the main issues this year is that the Pats (due mostly to injuries and the Hernandez saga) are not moving the ball up and down the field like last year - this obviously leads to less NFL points, which leads to less fantasy points. Take 1/3 of that reduced pie and you get crumbs.

The fact that Bolden was seen limping doesn't tell us much. Every Sunday, we see players limping on the field for a bit and they often continue to play. Does anyone have any further detail on how much he was limping or to what extent he was seen limping?

For everyone saying Cincinnati is a tough run defense, they are 17th in points given up to RBs this season. Middle of the pack at best.

I have Martin on bye and McFadden banged up. In a PPR league my starting RB this week is David Wilson and 1 of 3 Bolden, Joique Bell and McGahee (who I benched). I am interested in the Bolden situation because I would start him at flex with Bell at RB if he's healthy. I'm not sure what the Pats homers think of his upside this week with a banged up knee. I do think he is the most talented RB especially when comparing him to Bount. I'm sure Belichick will go with Blount, that is his style of power back and because I have Bolden.

I think Blount's breakout game was 10/31/2010 when he put up 120 yards and 2 TD's vs Arizona.

Unfortunately if he has a good game this week, his only value is if you actually started him this week due to injury or bye week. I don't see him becoming a trustworthy every week starter.
:goodposting: There may not be another game that valuable although there will certainly be some games where he is a nice contributor - of course the problem is magnified because he plays for Belicheck so you can never guess the real usage for any player. Just don't chase points already scored - like Julius Thomas first game they rarely appear again - doesn't mean they won't contribute but there isn't another 30 point game you can count on ....

Gopher State said:
Brady has the break out game of the year, the Pats will pass, pass and pass more, Cinni is decent against the run, so I would not expect to much from the running game. Bolden will be golden in ppr
Yup.

If Ridley and Bolden are both out...and Amendola is back which is looking likely...it's going to be three step drop dink and duck to avoid Cinci's front seven.

Wouldn't be surprised to see an up tempo approach to offense.

Maybe Blount gets a TD plunge or two, but otherwise I wouldn't count on him.

The best to hope for is the Pat's are up big at halftime and they go with the package they used late at TB. 80 yds and a TD is probably the ceiling.

satch said:
MAC_32 said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
injured.
I'm actually not starting a Pats back. I own Bolden, but not starting him. But thanks for your reply, it was very helpful to myself and many others I'm sure. Very insightful and informative, with lots of perspective.

For everyone saying Cincinnati is a tough run defense, they are 17th in points given up to RBs this season. Middle of the pack at best.
But per NFL.com stats they only give up 99 rushing yards per game, 11th in the NFL. I sure the RB points include rec yards and points in the passing game for RB's, how many rec yards does blount have? Any FF points blount gets will be on the ground, I take the under on 99 yards

satch said:
MAC_32 said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
injured.
I'm actually not starting a Pats back. I own Bolden, but not starting him. But thanks for your reply, it was very helpful to myself and many others I'm sure. Very insightful and informative, with lots of perspective.
It's clear you own bolden. Didn't have to tell us that. I own neither.

satch said:
ImTheScientist said:
satch said:

Blount is only one year older, also undrafted, yet has a 1000 yard season under his belt. Some of what you are saying makes no sense. Seems like you don't know much about Blount tbh.
Blount was undrafted for different reasons than Bolden. Blount had already made a name for himself before he even left college. Unfortunately, it was a bad one. Blount already had his big chance in Tampa and blew it. He had a decent season , but was shipped out of Tampa for a reason. Now he's 4th string on the Pats. I know enough about Blount to know that he comes off as a good power runner who seems content to be a role player on a team that needs him to play that role. There's nothing wrong with that and it's just my opinion. Maybe you can tell me something about Blount that changes my mind.

satch said:
ImTheScientist said:
satch said:

Sorry but you lost us all right here. Most people think Ridley is a fumbler, he averages a fumble every 70 carries, Blount averages a fumble every 50 carries. He wasn't brought in to secure leads late because he can hold the ball, he was brought in because the Pats like to have a power back and he was a cheap back up and probably is the most talented 3rd stringer in the league.

Maybe you can tell me something about Blount that changes my mind.
Is Blount a capable red zone and G/L back? I ask because I'm still not sure. There will be more chances to do so in a 50% role with the Pats than in his more prominent role with the Bucs. I do think he's motivated, healthy and knows now what happens when you fail in the NFL, so those are pluses. He's going to get the opportunity this weekend to be what Ridley was last year. 50-100 rush yds, no catches and about a 50% chance at a TD. Lowered the TD rate to account for the less potent passing game, but that could actually help his TD potential, IF Blount can prove effective and reliable (no fumbles) at the money stripe. That to me is the $$$ question.

satch said:
MAC_32 said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
injured.
It's clear you own bolden. Didn't have to tell us that. I own neither.
Ok. So does owning neither somehow give you better insight to both? Or do you just automatically dismiss opinions from those who own the player in question because it's simply impossible to have an accurate assessment of a player while owning him?

satch said:
ImTheScientist said:
satch said:
I can't blame anyone for starting Blount if you're in a bind. He'll definitely get some carries, but I think hoping for some kind of "breakout game" is hoping for too much. Blount is a power runner who doesn't really fit what

the Pats do, and I can't imagine the Pats being content to pound the ball for 3 yards a pop all day. He has a role on the team, which is to protect the ball and gain tough yards when the game is in well in hand. Of course, maybe the Pats do get a big lead early and do just that in which case Blount may end up with a stat line of 15 carries for 45 yards and a TD. Or

perhaps he breaks another long one which would bump those stats way up, but it still wouldn't be a "breakout" performance as Blount will never have a major role consistently in this offense because that's just not what they do.

I think if anyone has a chance for a breakout game, it's Bolden. His versatility fits exactly what the Pats do and from what I've seen (as a Pats

homer who watches every game) Belichick likes and trusts him. If Bolden is ready to go, he could be used extensively in both run and pass situations, which maintains unpredictability and keeps opposing defenses guessing as opposed to the limited skill set and predictability that Blount brings to the

table. I could see Bolden getting 10/40/1 rushing, and 7/60/1 receiving, with Blount getting clean up duty. Again, it all hinges on Bolden's status, but between Bolden and Blount, only Bolden has a chance to vault himself into a major role as the starting all-purpose back for the Pats going forward. Even then, Blount, Ridley, and Vereen when he returns will all still have roles in this offense, so all of these guys will have some kind of value. But

if I had to pick one of them for the rest of the season it would be Bolden. This week is a huge opportunity for him, I just hope the knee doesn't prevent him from taking advantage of it.

I also want to add that I'm not trying to rain on the Blount parade. I just think that if you're looking for a RB with a chance to breakout and

contribute to your fantasy team on a consistent basis for the rest of the season then Bolden may be a better guy to target than Blount. Even if Blount has a big game with Bolden injured this week, I'd still take Bolden long term.
I didn't say the Pats didn't like a power run game. They utilize it when appropriate but they don't revolve around it, which is why Blount will continue to have a role but may not have a "breakout game" and that's what this thread is about. I guess it depends what you consider a breakout game. I take it to mean that based on one game's performance, the player's value then shoots up due to a dramatic increase in expected production going forward. I don't see that happening with Blount even if he plays well. On the other hand, I can see that happening with Bolden if he plays well, and that's based on the Pats offense in general.

I also question whether or not Blount really wants his role to increase

dramatically. Seems like the type of player who's content being a role player versus a young undrafted player like Bolden looking to make a name for himself.
Blount was undrafted for different reasons than Bolden. Blount had already made a name for himself before he even left college. Unfortunately, it was a bad one. Blount already had his big chance in Tampa and blew it. He had a decent season , but was shipped out of Tampa for a reason. Now he's 4th string on the Pats. I know enough about Blount to know that he comes off as a good power runner who seems content to be a role player on a team that needs him to play that role. There's nothing wrong with that and it's just my opinion. Maybe you can tell me something about Blount that changes my mind.
How do you possibly think that you know what's going on inside a guy's head that you've never met? Unbelievable.

Most likely scenario is Blount as the main ball carrier with Bolden COP and as the main receiver out of the backfield. Anyone thinking any of these guys (and that includes Vereen and Ridley when they come back) is going to be fully featured is a fool IMO. They're all pretty good at different things and the Pats will use multiple guys each game in roles that suit that week's gameplan.

satch said:
ImTheScientist said:
satch said:
I can't blame anyone for starting Blount if you're in a bind. He'll definitely get some carries, but I think hoping for some kind of "breakout game" is hoping for too much. Blount is a power runner who doesn't really fit what

the Pats do, and I can't imagine the Pats being content to pound the ball for 3 yards a pop all day. He has a role on the team, which is to protect the ball and gain tough yards when the game is in well in hand. Of course, maybe the Pats do get a big lead early and do just that in which case Blount may end up with a stat line of 15 carries for 45 yards and a TD. Or

perhaps he breaks another long one which would bump those stats way up, but it still wouldn't be a "breakout" performance as Blount will never have a major role consistently in this offense because that's just not what they do.

I think if anyone has a chance for a breakout game, it's Bolden. His versatility fits exactly what the Pats do and from what I've seen (as a Pats

homer who watches every game) Belichick likes and trusts him. If Bolden is ready to go, he could be used extensively in both run and pass situations, which maintains unpredictability and keeps opposing defenses guessing as opposed to the limited skill set and predictability that Blount brings to the

table. I could see Bolden getting 10/40/1 rushing, and 7/60/1 receiving, with Blount getting clean up duty. Again, it all hinges on Bolden's status, but between Bolden and Blount, only Bolden has a chance to vault himself into a major role as the starting all-purpose back for the Pats going forward. Even then, Blount, Ridley, and Vereen when he returns will all still have roles in this offense, so all of these guys will have some kind of value. But

if I had to pick one of them for the rest of the season it would be Bolden. This week is a huge opportunity for him, I just hope the knee doesn't prevent him from taking advantage of it.

I also want to add that I'm not trying to rain on the Blount parade. I just think that if you're looking for a RB with a chance to breakout and

contribute to your fantasy team on a consistent basis for the rest of the season then Bolden may be a better guy to target than Blount. Even if Blount has a big game with Bolden injured this week, I'd still take Bolden long term.
I didn't say the Pats didn't like a power run game. They utilize it when appropriate but they don't revolve around it, which is why Blount will continue to have a role but may not have a "breakout game" and that's what this thread is about. I guess it depends what you consider a breakout game. I take it to mean that based on one game's performance, the player's value then shoots up due to a dramatic increase in expected production going forward. I don't see that happening with Blount even if he plays well. On the other hand, I can see that happening with Bolden if he plays well, and that's based on the Pats offense in general.

I also question whether or not Blount really wants his role to increase

dramatically. Seems like the type of player who's content being a role player versus a young undrafted player like Bolden looking to make a name for himself.
How do you possibly think that you know what's going on inside a guy's head that you've never met? Unbelievable.Most likely scenario is Blount as the main ball carrier with Bolden COP and as the main receiver out of the backfield. Anyone thinking any of these guys (and that includes Vereen and Ridley when they come back) is going to be fully featured is a fool IMO. They're all pretty good at different things and the Pats will use multiple guys each game in roles that suit that week's gameplan.
I don't know, I think with age and experience it's fairly easy to know what's going on inside someone's head when you have knowledge of their past behavior, actions, decisions and tendencies. I don't know what's unbelievable about that. It's not so much that you "know what's going on in their head" as it is you know how they are likely to act or behave in a given situation. In this scenario, we're talking about Blount and football. Based on his football related past, I don't think it's "unbelievable" to predict his football future. We have factual past events to consider. Why do you think teams pass on players due to off the field issues? Because it's reasonable to expect certain things to happen in the future based on events of the past. Doesn't mean they "know what's going on inside their head". If a guy consistently shows that he doesn't really care about making the most of his opportunities, it's reasonable to expect that trend to continue.

satch said:
MAC_32 said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
injured.
I think advising owners not to waste their time trying to figure out the pats rubix cube running game is being helpful.

But per NFL.com stats they only give up 99 rushing yards per game, 11th in the NFL. I sure the RB points include rec yards and points in the passing game for RB's, how many rec yards does blount have? Any FF points blount gets will be on the ground, I take the under on 99 yards
That includes facing the Steelers and Browns (post Richardson). Both bottom of the NFL in rushing. Packers put up 150+ yards on the ground between Starks and Franklin.

If Bolden is hobbled, I wouldn't count on him coming in for every passing play.

satch said:
MAC_32 said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
injured.
I think advising owners not to waste their time trying to figure out the pats rubix cube running game is being helpful.
A few weeks ago I might've agreed, but as of right now there are really only two colors in the Rubik's cube. It's unlikely that either Bolden or Blount will be save anyone's fantasy season, but one, the other, or maybe both should be able to at least help a little for now.

Worth mentioning that Blount has a career YPC of 4.6 and scores a TD about every 30 touches despite the fact that almost all his runs are inside.

Worth mentioning that Blount has a career YPC of 4.6 and scores a TD about every 30 touches despite the fact that almost all his runs are inside.
:goodposting:

Blount is a good runner. He's been a 1000 yard, 5 YPC RB in the NFL. He carries character baggage and is one dimensional, but he's a good player. It's beyond absurd to suggest that Bolden is suddenly going to be the guy because Blount is happy to be a backup -- that literally might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on these forums.

Blount is a good runner. He's been a 1000 yard, 5 YPC RB in the NFL. He carries character baggage and is one dimensional, but he's a good player. It's beyond absurd to suggest that Bolden is suddenly going to be the guy because Blount is happy to be a backup -- that literally might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on these forums.
I thought the same. I tried to dig deeper with him but it was going nowhere.

If that's the most bizarre thing you've ever heard on these forums, you haven't been here long.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has said Blount isn't a good runner. You may have taken something the wrong way as an overly sensitive Blount owner hoping for big things, but I think most of us agree that Blount is good at what he does. That's how I feel at least. Blount was a big part of a successful fantasy season for me a few years ago. I also don't recall anyone claiming that "Bolden is suddenly going to be the guy". That would be absurd if someone said it. But again, I don't think anyone did.

Speaking for myself, I did say that I think Blount is content in his role on the team as a power runner when needed. Is that what you find absurd? Is it really absurd that a professional football player is content being good at what he does, and not necessarily yearning to be a do-everything superstar? He had a chance to be "the guy" in Tampa and either couldn't take advantage of it or didn't want it. Not everyone wants to be "the guy". Just because you want him to doesn't mean he wants to.

The Patriots team motto is "Do your job." It's that simple. Blount is already doing his job and doing it well. Why do you assume he has a burning desire to be more than that? Just because Ridley is out doesn't mean Belichick suddenly wants Blount to do a different job. Perhaps Belichick wants Blount to just continue doing his job. He may ask Blount to take on a larger role, but to what extent is hard to say. We do know Blount isn't much of a receiving threat, so he likely won't have much of a role in the passing game which I think we can all agree is a pretty big part of the Pats success. You said it yourself, Blount is one dimensional.

Bolden, on the other hand, is a receiving threat who can also run the ball. That's Bolden's job. So, it's conceivable that Belichick could ask Bolden to take on a larger role, which would simply be doing more of what he already does, as opposed to asking Blount to suddenly become a receiving threat, or completely change the offense to fit Blounts power running style.

This thread is about whether or not this week will be "Blount's breakout game", and all I've tried to say is that based on my interpretation of what a breakout game is, Bolden would be more likely to have a breakout game than Blount based on his skill set and role going forward. Neither of these guys is going to be handed the role of "the guy". The Patriots just don't operate that way. They don't need one specific RB to be "the guy". But based on the way the Patriots offense runs, if both players simply continue to "do their job", and continue to play their respective roles in this offense, it's more likely that while Blount will have an increased role, Bolden's useage and production will see a greater increase than Blount. I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but that doesn't make it absurd. It also doesn't make it true, it's just my opinion. I think both players will see an increase in production, but Bolden's production will likely see a greater increase than Blount's based solely on their respective roles in the offense. Of course, all of this hinges on the status of Bolden's knee.

:goodposting: Blount is a good runner. He's been a 1000 yard, 5 YPC RB in the NFL. He carries character baggage and is one dimensional, but he's a good player. It's beyond absurd to suggest that Bolden is suddenly going to be the guy because Blount is happy to be a backup -- that literally might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on these forums.
If that's the most bizarre thing you've ever heard on these forums, you haven't been here long.Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has said Blount isn't a good runner. You may have taken something the wrong way as an overly sensitive Blount owner hoping for big things, but I think most of us agree that Blount is good at what he does. That's how I feel at least. Blount was a big part of a successful fantasy season for me a few years ago. I also don't recall anyone claiming that "Bolden is suddenly going to be the guy". That would be absurd if someone said it. But again, I don't think anyone did.

Speaking for myself, I did say that I think Blount is content in his role on the team as a power runner when needed. Is that what you find absurd? Is it really absurd that a professional football player is content being good at what he does, and not necessarily yearning to be a do-everything superstar? He had a chance to be "the guy" in Tampa and either couldn't take advantage of it or didn't want it. Not everyone wants to be "the guy". Just because you want him to doesn't mean he wants to.

The Patriots team motto is "Do your job." It's that simple. Blount is already doing his job and doing it well. Why do you assume he has a burning desire to be more than that? Just because Ridley is out doesn't mean Belichick suddenly wants Blount to do a different job. Perhaps Belichick wants Blount to just continue doing his job. He may ask Blount to take on a larger role, but to what extent is hard to say. We do know Blount isn't much of a receiving threat, so he likely won't have much of a role in the passing game which I think we can all agree is a pretty big part of the Pats success. You said it yourself, Blount is one dimensional.

Bolden, on the other hand, is a receiving threat who can also run the ball. That's Bolden's job. So, it's conceivable that Belichick could ask Bolden to take on a larger role, which would simply be doing more of what he already does, as opposed to asking Blount to suddenly become a receiving threat, or completely change the offense to fit Blounts power running style.

This thread is about whether or not this week will be "Blount's breakout game", and all I've tried to say is that based on my interpretation of what a breakout game is, Bolden would be more likely to have a breakout game than Blount based on his skill set and role going forward. Neither of these guys is going to be handed the role of "the guy". The Patriots just don't operate that way. They don't need one specific RB to be "the guy". But based on the way the Patriots offense runs, if both players simply continue to "do their job", and continue to play their respective roles in this offense, it's more likely that while Blount will have an increased role, Bolden's useage and production will see a greater increase than Blount. I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but that doesn't make it absurd. It also doesn't make it true, it's just my opinion. I think both players will see an increase in production, but Bolden's production will likely see a greater increase than Blount's based solely on their respective roles in the offense. Of course, all of this hinges on the status of Bolden's knee.
Are you Blount's shrink or something? You kind of sound like a moron acting like you know what another human being thinks or wants.

:goodposting: Blount is a good runner. He's been a 1000 yard, 5 YPC RB in the NFL. He carries character baggage and is one dimensional, but he's a good player. It's beyond absurd to suggest that Bolden is suddenly going to be the guy because Blount is happy to be a backup -- that literally might be the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on these forums.
If that's the most bizarre thing you've ever heard on these forums, you haven't been here long.Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has said Blount isn't a good runner. You may have taken something the wrong way as an overly sensitive Blount owner hoping for big things, but I think most of us agree that Blount is good at what he does. That's how I feel at least. Blount was a big part of a successful fantasy season for me a few years ago. I also don't recall anyone claiming that "Bolden is suddenly going to be the guy". That would be absurd if someone said it. But again, I don't think anyone did.

Are you Blount's shrink or something? You kind of sound like a moron acting like you know what another human being thinks or wants.
:lmao:

Resorting to name calling? What are you like 10 years old?

What I think Blount thinks or wants is irrelevant. It's about what Bill Belichick thinks and wants. He lets players know what their job is and he expects them to do it. When they do their job, Belichick is happy, the team wins, and therefore the players are happy. It's not a situation where every player is trying to outdo each other and be "the man". They operate as a team. Blount was told before he got to New England what his job was going to be and he accepted the position. No, I don't think Blount has a burning desire to be the star RB for the Patriots. Yes, I think he's happy to be a role player on a winning team and appreciated by his coach and teammates because that's what he signed up to do, so why should I think otherwise? Do you have inside info to the contrary?

Users who are viewing this thread