What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boston recommendations (1 Viewer)

How many days is the total trip? A week?

if that, I’d do 2-3 days in Boston, a full day and night in Portland ME, and 2-3 days in Acadia. 

of the restaurants I noted above, Craigie on Main is now closed…
I am flexible with timeline.  Will be at least a week...could go 10 days with good reason.   I hadn't thought much about Portland.  Don't really know much about it.

I am flexible with timeline.  Will be at least a week...could go 10 days with good reason.   I hadn't thought much about Portland.  Don't really know much about it.
Rank these in order, most interest to least

see Sox game at Fenway

cool hip restaurant w renowned chef 

technical and rewarding hike, amazing views 

hike to see a beautiful waterfall, places to take a dip along way

visit historical sites, re-learn American history in an interactive way

spend hours walking through mix of small cool shops, good food / drinks, and get lost down small brick-laid side streets

high end shops / restaurants / views, somewhat commercialized but making it easy for you to have fun

Bike around and see an entire city, including great views at times, other times park and slow it down on foot

eat / drink your way through the city, lots of stops to get a bite and a drink, from a donut to a top IPA to splitting a lobster roll to duck-fat fried fries

drive through amazing Mountain Views, winding roads, stop for short hikes, cell phone service optional 

Rank these in order, most interest to least

5. see Sox game at Fenway

7. cool hip restaurant w renowned chef 

10. technical and rewarding hike, amazing views (by technical, I assume you mean strenuous/difficult)

2. hike to see a beautiful waterfall, places to take a dip along way

1. visit historical sites, re-learn American history in an interactive way

4. spend hours walking through mix of small cool shops, good food / drinks, and get lost down small brick-laid side streets

8. high end shops / restaurants / views, somewhat commercialized but making it easy for you to have fun

9. Bike around and see an entire city, including great views at times, other times park and slow it down on foot

6. eat / drink your way through the city, lots of stops to get a bite and a drink, from a donut to a top IPA to splitting a lobster roll to duck-fat fried fries

3. drive through amazing Mountain Views, winding roads, stop for short hikes, cell phone service optional 
lol...boy these answers may vary greatly depending which member of my family you ask, but here is my attempted rank considering the collective whole.  1-most interested; 10-least interested.  

Bumping this thread for some tips and insight.  I am planning a family trip (kids are older 18 and 19 yr) for the summer of '22 that will consist of time in Boston and then onto Acadia NP in Maine.  I am trying to figure out how much time to budget for Boston and some of the "must dos" while there.  We have not been to Boston before.  Interested in decent food, especially anything unique to Boston, historical sites, convenient place to stay. Is there a decent hotel within walking distance of main sites of interest?  Trying to decide if we will fly in and then rent a car for the Maine leg of the journey or just drive the whole thing.  Is it pretty easy to get around Boston without a car...walking, public transport or uber for 4? 

Glancing through this thread, it looks like @wilked suggested a couple of restaurants.  Are these still viable 4 years later?  Looks like the USS Constitution is a must.  Which other sites along the Freedom Trail are worthy of time spent?  We are thinking about taking in a Red Sox game at Fenway (at least 2 out of 4 of us are interested...lol).  Looks like the Yankees are in town during one of the weeks we are looking at.  Tough to get tickets for that series?   I am an old fan of the Cheers TV series...any value to visiting the original or is it a big nothingburger?

2-3 days enough to take in the Boston basics?
Now listen here, Galileo.  I lived in the greater Boston area for 62 years.  Just relocated to Denver in October.  Anyhow, after a half-dozen drinks and a few joints, here's how I would approach it...

First, stay at my favorite Boston hotel, the Copley Plaza Hotel.  It's smack dab in the middle of Back Bay.  Right at Copley Square.  You can valet you car there, as you  really won't need it from that location, and Boston driving can be a bit hairy if you're not used to how things get done around there.  

From Copley Square, you can easily walk to the Boston Public Gardens, the Boston Common where the Freedom Trail starts, or Beacon Hill.  

You're right, the Cheers bar in Back Bay is a big nothingburger.  I'd maybe stop in for lunch just to say you were there, but don't expect too much.  Their fish and chips are good, iirc.

Taking in a Red Sox/Yankees game is a great idea.  Just be aware that ticket prices will go at a premium for the Yankees.  Practice yelling "Yankees Suck!' at the top of your lungs and you'll fit right in at Fenway.

If you want to see the USS Constitution, I'd probably just Uber it there.  

Since it sounds like you're going in the summer of 2022, I would recommend using one day to take the high-speed ferry from  Boston to Provincetown.  Have a blast at Provincetown.  Hike up the Pilgrim Monument.  Stuff your face full of lobstah at one of the many excellent P-town restaurants. 

Faneuil Hall.  No trip to Boston would be complete without going to Faneuil Hall. Get seated outside and have a few drinks while watching the freak parade. 

Personally, I think Acadia National Park is a bit overrated.  I've been there probably a half-dozen times in my life.  It's nice.  And quiet.  And you can get a good whale watch out of Bar Harbor.  Somehow just not enough action to keep me entertained.  

Have you thought about going south from Boston, say down to Newport, RI?  You could easily kill a few days down there. 

ETA:  Don't forget about Boston Duck Tours.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think Acadia National Park is a bit overrated.  I've been there probably a half-dozen times in my life.  It's nice.  And quiet.  And you can get a good whale watch out of Bar Harbor.  Somehow just not enough action to keep me entertained.  

We did Boston to ANP a few years ago in mid-June. On the way we stopped in Camden for a couple nights. We had dinner in a nice place on the water and sat at the bar. The bartender was from Bar Harbor and knew every bar there like the back of his hand. He made us a list of the top tourist and dive bars in Bar Harbor. We spent 4 nights in BH and went to all of his bars. We'd show the bartender his list and most concurred. 

There was one "dive" bar in particular that I remember the most-  Cottage Street Pub. They have a chalkboard craft cocktail list that we worked our way down and had a blast there day and night...

And we found the Schoodic peninsula to be the most interesting part of Acadia NP, much less crowded and huge crashing waves into the rocks.

If the Yankees are in town, you should consider. You'll need to get tickets 3rd party, but it'll be pretty great to see playoff intensity, and pretty hilarious to see people that angry about baseball.  

Just going to a Sox game, whatever. Getting a chance to peek into that series is a different thing. 

Stay in the Copley/Back Bay area. Beautiful walking, and can walk everywhere you need. 

Did you do one of those Freedom Trail tours that you linked?  They look a little cheesy, but I am sure probably provides better info than I would assemble on my own.
Good lord, no.  Most of the places have on-site tours or handouts.  I have no desire to do that stuff at someone else's pace.  Just wandered in and out of the sites, relaxed on the friendly benches, and ate at the noshies places.  You do know that there's a line on the ground to follow, right?  (The smell of baking in the old part of town is amazing.  Modern Bakery.)  Most of the stuff is clearly labeled for your convenience.  I did do the tour of the Paul Revere House.  It's just too cramped to allow wandering.  Skip the Statehouse.  The architect, Charles Bulfinch is a great one, but that may be his worst work.  Ugh.  And it's not really near the interesting stuff.

I was informed that pizza in Boston isn't good, except for Regina Pizzeria.  I have no idea if that's still true, but Regina was really good.  If you can find the original location in the North End, it's worth it.  Only pizza place I ever saw with a line out the door.  You'll feel like a local, but you do need navigation skills.  

I also enjoyed the New England Aquarium, but that might just be me..

Have fun.

Definitely no need for a car when in Boston. Parking is pain, and expensive when you can find it.

As mentioned above, Regina's pizza in the North End is still amazing and well worth it. Make sure you get this specific location. 

Duck tours, while goofy, allow you to see a lot. Worth it IMO.

Fenway also has tours which I think is worth doing.

The Sam Adams brewery tour, although a pain to get too, is worth doing. It's been a while, but I think minors can go but obviously dont get the samples at the end.

Bumping this for any fresh recommendations. We will be Honeymooning in Boston June 27 - July 1. Staying at a Boutique hotel near Commonwealth Ave & Gloucester St in Back Bay.

We love parks, food and history. Will not have a car, looks pretty doable using MBTA and walking.

Whatchagot?

Bumping this for any fresh recommendations. We will be Honeymooning in Boston June 27 - July 1. Staying at a Boutique hotel near Commonwealth Ave & Gloucester St in Back Bay.

We love parks, food and history. Will not have a car, looks pretty doable using MBTA and walking.

Whatchagot?
I don’t think much has changed in the 18 months….  I’d stick with the above recs 

I will say, that the city is busy as ever, so get any reservations you need in early 
Thanks - thus the bump, figuring we should make any more restaurant reservations today.

We are about 5 minutes from Prudential Center, 15 minutes to Boston Common. Was goofing around with looking at T options Google maps, looks like we can be most every where we want in 30 minutes or less.

Wondering if we should try for a day trip to Provincetown. Ferry is about 90 minutes. Plenty to do in Boston but was thinking it might be nice way to break things up.

What's your restaurant sweet spot? Comfort vs posh? 
Comfort is fine, the bride is not boujie. Our next dinner reservation here is NoMad but generally we’re like Pig Beach / Hometown BBQ people. Love pan Asian, Asian fusion, Mex, French bistros, etc.

Thanks - thus the bump, figuring we should make any more restaurant reservations today.

We are about 5 minutes from Prudential Center, 15 minutes to Boston Common. Was goofing around with looking at T options Google maps, looks like we can be most every where we want in 30 minutes or less.

Wondering if we should try for a day trip to Provincetown. Ferry is about 90 minutes. Plenty to do in Boston but was thinking it might be nice way to break things up.
PTown via ferry is worth the trip

Comfort is fine, the bride is not boujie. Our next dinner reservation here is NoMad but generally we’re like Pig Beach / Hometown BBQ people. Love pan Asian, Asian fusion, Mex, French bistros, etc.
Copy that. 

Where you are it's worth mentioning Top of the Hub, rooftop restaurant at the Prudential Center. Don't eat there, but worth the elevator ride for a drink and a view. Touristy, great views. 

If you were to do any guided bus tour thing, the Boston Duck Tour is only option. They're an hour and half long, and honestly, if you walking all day, kind of a nice leisurely break. Book later in the day, drops you right off near hotel (Prudential pick-up/drop off location), and can refresh before dinner. 

Right in hotel area, for lunch/daytime/people watching:

Abe&Louie's: steakhouse, which I never recommend to New Yorkers, but great patio for lunch, and a buzzy bar, if you two want to meet some wicked cool locals, kid. 

Stephanie's and/or Sonsie: Have been  popular local spots forever, this is streetside drinks, Newbury St people watching. Snack at both places, rather than meal. 

Citrus and Salt: cool little Mexican place for lunch. Killer lobster roll actually. 

La Voile: Newbury Street French bistro. 

All the above are staggering distance from your hotel. 

Dinner:

Two French spots worth debating for dinner: Ma Maison and Menton. Check them both out. Menton owned by Barbara Lynch, my favorite Boston chef (she's a Southie original actually). Love both places. 

If it was me, I would do a night in the North End 🇮🇹 on Hanover St. Get drinks and some apps at Bricco or Lucca, it's a great street to hit a couple spots on same block. If Cafe Vittoria not crowded, grab an exceptional cappuccino. 

The Seaport area has blown up, and there are great restaurants down there, Row 34 for seafood for example. But the area is all so new and shiny, it doesn't really have the same feel or charm of Boston. If you lived in Boston, it's part of your routine, but to visit Boston, I don't know that it's necessary. It's nice, of course, but a little more spread out, and with only a few days, no tragedy if you miss it.

If you do the Quincy Market thing, I would make a reso at Union Oyster House, and soak up the oldest restaurant in the country. The waitresses are named Patty/Connie etc. and are sweet as heck. 

PTown trip is a really good idea

Copy that. 

Where you are it's worth mentioning Top of the Hub, rooftop restaurant at the Prudential Center. Don't eat there, but worth the elevator ride for a drink and a view. Touristy, great views. 

If you were to do any guided bus tour thing, the Boston Duck Tour is only option. They're an hour and half long, and honestly, if you walking all day, kind of a nice leisurely break. Book later in the day, drops you right off near hotel (Prudential pick-up/drop off location), and can refresh before dinner. 

Right in hotel area, for lunch/daytime/people watching:

Abe&Louie's: steakhouse, which I never recommend to New Yorkers, but great patio for lunch, and a buzzy bar, if you two want to meet some wicked cool locals, kid. 

Stephanie's and/or Sonsie: Have been  popular local spots forever, this is streetside drinks, Newbury St people watching. Snack at both places, rather than meal. 

Citrus and Salt: cool little Mexican place for lunch. Killer lobster roll actually. 

La Voile: Newbury Street French bistro. 

All the above are staggering distance from your hotel. 

Dinner:

Two French spots worth debating for dinner: Ma Maison and Menton. Check them both out. Menton owned by Barbara Lynch, my favorite Boston chef (she's a Southie original actually). Love both places. 

If it was me, I would do a night in the North End 🇮🇹 on Hanover St. Get drinks and some apps at Bricco or Lucca, it's a great street to hit a couple spots on same block. If Cafe Vittoria not crowded, grab an exceptional cappuccino. 

The Seaport area has blown up, and there are great restaurants down there, Row 34 for seafood for example. But the area is all so new and shiny, it doesn't really have the same feel or charm of Boston. If you lived in Boston, it's part of your routine, but to visit Boston, I don't know that it's necessary. It's nice, of course, but a little more spread out, and with only a few days, no tragedy if you miss it.

If you do the Quincy Market thing, I would make a reso at Union Oyster House, and soak up the oldest restaurant in the country. The waitresses are named Patty/Connie etc. and are sweet as heck. 

PTown trip is a really good idea

awesome, thank you so much for the detailed response! can't wait.

WRT touristy things, what are the best parts of the Freedom Trail?
it'd be different for me, cuz we had to take visitors around the most famous spots and get sick of em. i always liked the walk from North Church to Copps Hill Boneyahd and down to the Haaahbah. Boston's changed a lot, but i cant imagine the North End has changed as much and would still give a feel of the old city. nice morning walk/find a cuppa

it'd be different for me, cuz we had to take visitors around the most famous spots and get sick of em. i always liked the walk from North Church to Copps Hill Boneyahd and down to the Haaahbah. Boston's changed a lot, but i cant imagine the North End has changed as much and would still give a feel of the old city. nice morning walk/find a cuppa
when folks come here to visit and want that ####, we direct them to the double decker red buses and tell them to catch up to us in a couple days. I ain't taking nobody to Statue of Liberty or Times Square or Top of the Rock/Empire State/Edge.

that said, we are both history dorks and love American history. I haven't been to Boston since 1984 and her since 1989ish. So it'll seem fresh to us.

oops didn’t see DDs post addressing this

Don't know if this would be good for anyone else but I'm thinking of doing this later in the year.

Walking history tour in Boston. Directed more toward adults interested in history. So no theatrics or costumes. 

https://www.therevolutionarystorytour.com/
Wish I had seen/researched this sooner.  Nothing seems to be available on the days I will be there in July.

ETA...found something that appears to be similar (without the costumed guides) through Hub Town Tours.  It has solid reviews and about half the price.  The presentation of the one linked above looks to be woven into a more cohesive story which I am sure is a cool feature of the tour, but I managed to find a spot available for us with Hub Town.   

I have taken out of town guests to the JFK museum quite a few times. 

Also, there are some good Boston Harbor cruises that will give you some history while sight seeing from the water.

I have taken out of town guests to the JFK museum quite a few times. 

Also, there are some good Boston Harbor cruises that will give you some history while sight seeing from the water.
Aww, that’s right in our nerd wheelhouse. Actually just heard a commercial or mention of it on the US Open broadcast and came here to ask.

brun said:
Don't know if this would be good for anyone else but I'm thinking of doing this later in the year.

Walking history tour in Boston. Directed more toward adults interested in history. So no theatrics or costumes. 

https://www.therevolutionarystorytour.com/
walking tours are the rare touristy thing we will do with out of towners. Love walking tours.

and thanks @Galileo those look really great, we’re leaning that way.

FWIW isn’t the price difference the length of tour? 2 hours is around my theoretical max before anxiety kicks in, I prefer your rec for that reason.

I stayed at the colonnade Monday night for work, and Rickie Fowler, Collin Morikawa, Tommy Fleetwood, and several other players were staying there for the US Open. Wish I would’ve been able to do more than fly in for a 4 hr meeting.

Who's got a reliable recommendation for a place to eat near Long Wharf?  Looking to catch a dinner for family of 4 before boarding a harbor tour at Long Wharf north.  Looks like a ton of places in and around Faneuil...overwhelming.  Something unique to Boston preferred and with some local beer flights would be a plus.  Thoughts on any of the places listed below?  Just found these cruising around Google maps

Granary Tavern

Tia's

Chart House

Ned Devine's

State Street Provisions

Bostonia Public House

Who's got a reliable recommendation for a place to eat near Long Wharf?  Looking to catch a dinner for family of 4 before boarding a harbor tour at Long Wharf north.  Looks like a ton of places in and around Faneuil...overwhelming.  Something unique to Boston preferred and with some local beer flights would be a plus.  Thoughts on any of the places listed below?  Just found these cruising around Google maps

Granary Tavern

Tia's

Chart House

Ned Devine's

State Street Provisions

Bostonia Public House
Granary or Bostonia IMO. Can't go wrong with either.

I stayed at the colonnade Monday night for work, and Rickie Fowler, Collin Morikawa, Tommy Fleetwood, and several other players were staying there for the US Open. Wish I would’ve been able to do more than fly in for a 4 hr meeting.
The pool on the roof there used to be the bomb diggity bomb. I have definitely gone to that hotel for some Friday afternoon sun, and left some strange hotel room Saturday morning. 

Users who are viewing this thread