What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boston recommendations (1 Viewer)

Who's got a reliable recommendation for a place to eat near Long Wharf?  Looking to catch a dinner for family of 4 before boarding a harbor tour at Long Wharf north.  Looks like a ton of places in and around Faneuil...overwhelming.  Something unique to Boston preferred and with some local beer flights would be a plus.  Thoughts on any of the places listed below?  Just found these cruising around Google maps

Granary Tavern

Tia's

Chart House

Ned Devine's

State Street Provisions

Bostonia Public House
Are you already eating in North End at some point in your trip? If not I’d definitely do that. I like Carmelinas a lot 

Who's got a reliable recommendation for a place to eat near Long Wharf?  Looking to catch a dinner for family of 4 before boarding a harbor tour at Long Wharf north.  Looks like a ton of places in and around Faneuil...overwhelming.  Something unique to Boston preferred and with some local beer flights would be a plus.  Thoughts on any of the places listed below?  Just found these cruising around Google maps

Granary Tavern

Tia's

Chart House

Ned Devine's

State Street Provisions

Bostonia Public House
The evil jerk inside me really wants to recommend Tia's. 

Are you already eating in North End at some point in your trip? If not I’d definitely do that. I like Carmelinas a lot 
Yes...will plan to hit North End earlier in the day for lunch and/or the next night for dinner.  Going to Regina's for one of those visits.

That bad, huh?  Google reviews looked decent and it is right next to where we need to be after dinner.
I definitely drank there on weekend nights in my early 20s. 

It isn't the place to go for great food. It is a place that I have gone with my family because we were right there and the kids were cranky. Not a place I would make a plan around. 

Came in on Acela yesterday afternoon (top speed per the GPS speedometer was 149.) Staying at a boutique hotel - converted 5 story corner townhouse - which I would recommend. Sonder No 284 Back Bay

Tons of great neighborhood places around the corner on Newbury St. Had a terrific lobster roll less than a 5 minute walk from our place.

Boston today and Thursday, ferry/day trip to Provincetown Wednesday. Perfect little minimoon.

The wedding was such a blast - small affair, 120 or so friends & family. Everyone who helped out was amazing - good friend functioned as our wedding planner and was just incredible. The caterer went above and beyond, an engineer friend served as our low key DJ - he brought in a fantastic sound system. He’s on the quiet/shy side so we asked two actor friends to served as MCs and they killed it.

This was an under 10K budget wedding; other than the food, cake and one of the two photographers, it was 100% church friends gifting us their talents. We felt incredibly blessed.

Most importantly, our friends had a super fun time. It was a post-pandemic reunion for a lot of folks and we were so happy to see everyone enjoying themselves. Dance floor was never empty.

We rented a (dirt cheap through a friend who is a member) yacht club on Sheepshead Bay. Insanely cheap bar - we could only afford to take care of the nonalcoholic drinks + champagne. I think people were paying like $5 for well drinks, $4 beers? In NYC? Yeah, crazy good. A florist friend gifted the centerpieces & corsages. In laws bought these 4-way stretch white covers for the cheap ### venue chairs. We bought fancy tablecloths, all the plates / flatware / utensils / water cups / water pitchers / coffee cups / flutes were Costco & Amazon stuff; disposable plastic, but passable for a formal occasion.

We told everyone it was just going to be appetizers. Well, it was like IDK 🤷🏻‍♂️ ten different kinds of Italian food? No one went hungry that’s for sure. I guess we had enough leftovers to feed everyone at church the next afternoon (they saved the leftovers & the sheet cakes they didn’t get eaten, had an impromptu gathering after service.)

It was way more elegant than I imagined (I mean, what the heck, you want the photos to look nice…) Weather was perfect, low humidity with a 10-12 mph breeze. IDC one way or the other but made my wife feel amazing. And dang did she look stunning! 

We were just blown away by everyone’s generosity. I mean, I’ve shared a bit with y’all what I’ve been through the last few years. Never in a million years thought this was in the offing.  

That's a chain, isn't it?
that was snark but should have thrown in a emoji or sumtin’

Boston Chinatown was underwhelming - reminded me of Chicago’s CT (all three of New York’s - Manhattan, Flushing, and 8th Ave in Sunset Park/Brooklyn - have way more to offer.) We read through a ton of reviews, watched several YT videos devoted to BCT culinary highlights, and sought recommendations from Asian friends who used to live here. 

This popped up in my feed, pretty solid

2 days in Boston itinerary

We didn’t do this entire list (which I saw after we returned) in our 5 days, 4 nights, but we did over half of these recs. I’d just add the parks along the Charles River are amazing. We added a 1/2 day trip to Lexington & Concord - wholly unnecessary but my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War so I’ve always wanted to check them out.

We really loved Boston. Much calmer and more relaxing than NYC, great dining and shopping, history out the wazoo. Everyone we interacted with was super nice and we lucked out getting a nice place in Back Bay that was perfect location wise. We’re not car people (I do rent on occasion), found the T and busses very clean and reliable in comparison to NYC. Seriously, MTA should send their folks up to Beantown to see how transit workers are supposed to treat customers.

I'll be staying at The Westin Seaport District for a week starting this Friday. We're hitting up Trillium Brewing before the Sox/Yankees game Saturday, but don't have much planned after that. Looking for the best lobster roll and clam chowder I can find is tops on my list. Table is our only other restaurant to check out, so any other help would be appreciated. :banned:

Yankee Lobster is closer to you and comparable with HT's rec of Neptune Oyster in the North End. Either should do you right for lobster roll. I'm partial to Row 34 for oysters, raw bar, and beer selection. Although it's iconic clam chowder is unlikely to be "best" these days, the view from the roof at Legal Seafood Harborside compensates well. You should check out the combo.

Yankee Lobster is closer to you and comparable with HT's rec of Neptune Oyster in the North End. Either should do you right for lobster roll. I'm partial to Row 34 for oysters, raw bar, and beer selection. Although it's iconic clam chowder is unlikely to be "best" these days, the view from the roof at Legal Seafood Harborside compensates well. You should check out the combo.

Thank you for these.

Yankee Lobster was great, it was our first lunch here and a great way to start.

We went to Legal Seafood twice! Went for lunch and had their lobster roll, warm with butter as opposed to cold with mayo like Yankee. I think this one was better. Not sure it’s fair to compare warm vs cold, but it was fantastic. We went back for appetizers and drinks before dinner, had the chowder and shared a tuna roll. Both were exceptional and the atmosphere up there was great at sunset.

We’re hitting up Row 34 for lunch today, thanks for the amazing recommendations so far!

PS, for the Bloody Mary people, Legal Seafood has a great one. No premix, and horseradish floating around in it. :wub:

Bonus: Panthers were staying in the same hotel as the wife and I. Got to meet Coach Rhule and CMC. Solid end to the trip.

@Ron Popeil

Finished off the trip with Row 34 for the oysters. Wanted to sample as many as I could so hit up the raw bar for some RI, Canadian and MA oysters. I'm no connoisseur, but it was cool to see and taste the different options. The fried oyster sliders were fantastic, the batter on these were better than the one on the regular fried oysters. The slider breading was quite a bit lighter and more crispy than the regulars fried oysters. Also, another very good bloody marry. :banned:

Thanks again, all your recommendations hit the spot.

@Ron Popeil

Finished off the trip with Row 34 for the oysters. Wanted to sample as many as I could so hit up the raw bar for some RI, Canadian and MA oysters. I'm no connoisseur, but it was cool to see and taste the different options. The fried oyster sliders were fantastic, the batter on these were better than the one on the regular fried oysters. The slider breading was quite a bit lighter and more crispy than the regulars fried oysters. Also, another very good bloody marry. :banned:

Thanks again, all your recommendations hit the spot.
Really glad you enjoyed them! Haven't spent much time in town since pre pandemic so glad to know I'll still enjoy them too!

Wife and I are in Boston. I already got a cannoli from Mike’s Pastry as we were strolling on the Freedom Trail through the North end. We saw a lot of Italian restaurants that look good. Any recommendations? We are thinking of going for Italian Saturday night. Thanks.

Wife and I are in Boston. I already got a cannoli from Mike’s Pastry as we were strolling on the Freedom Trail through the North end. We saw a lot of Italian restaurants that look good. Any recommendations? We are thinking of going for Italian Saturday night. Thanks.
My personal favorite spot in the North End is Antico Forno. But you'll find a good meal pretty much anywhere.

In addition to the other suggestions I also like Cantina Italiana. It's been there forever. More of an old school vibe. Lots of red sauce Italian food like lasagna and chicken parm. They do those types of dishes really well.

I don't think you'll have a bad meal if you walk up and down Hanover St. and some of these side streets.

If you want to do the North End correctly, you have your meal wherever, but get a cappuccino at Caffe Vittoria.

Lucca is good choice, and has a cool bar. I would ignore Bricco.

Any good North End joints that are also kid friendly? Mike's for dessert is happening, but I suspect we may need to navigate more limited options for dinner. 3 boys aged 7, 10, and 13.

Any good North End joints that are also kid friendly? Mike's for dessert is happening, but I suspect we may need to navigate more limited options for dinner. 3 boys aged 7, 10, and 13.
Pizzeria Regina, brah.

If you wanna strap in big portions of classics, there's L'Familia Giorgio, something like that.

Haven't lived there in over a decade.

My favorites were.

Jacob Wirth - i think this might be closed now. best german potato salad I've ever had
Anna's Taqueria - carnitas super
Blue Ribbon BBQ out in Newton.

There was a place also downtown, sold sandwiches out of the window. no walk-in. chicken or beef or both on a torta with a delicious green sauce.

So many good meals in the North End. One thing I do remember, and may or may not have changed. Cash only at some.

Thanks for the suggestions. We had issues getting reservations on short notice for a Saturday night. Some places had no availability until Wednesday. Ended up eating at Trattoria Il Panino which was fine. Went to Cafe Vittoria after for cappuccino and some bakery items. I couldn’t believe how crazy the line was for Mike’s Pastry so I’m glad I went there the day before.

Boston is a cool town. I wish we had more than two nights to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread