What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

bought a door security bar - says on product it could expose you to lead? (1 Viewer)

b-snatchers

Footballguy
I bought a door security bar that is made from 20 gauge steel, but on the package it says that this product can expose you to chemicals, including lead which is know in the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects.

Just wondering how concerned should I be in using this product?

If that’s the Prop 65 warning you can probably basically ignore it in most cases.

With the way that prop was written, almost everything that could be sold in the state of California has to have that warning, whether it’s a realistic possibility of exposure to a harmful chemical or not.

Your iPhone, some furniture, some clothing, heck, even Sriracha hot sauce has the Prop 65 warning.

I bought a door security bar that is made from 20 gauge steel, but on the package it says that this product can expose you to chemicals, including lead which is know in the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects.

Lead mainly causes blood and nerve/brain problems with chronic exposure, especially in kids. It’s also weakly carcinogenic, and mutagenic as well.

All that said, I can’t imagine brief, periodic contact with a steel door poses any health risks.

Lead mainly causes blood and nerve/brain problems with chronic exposure, especially in kids. It’s also weakly carcinogenic, and mutagenic as well.

All that said, I can’t imagine brief, periodic contact with a steel door poses any health risks.
Might be wedged against a door with lead paint on it? Would be a stupid thing to blame on the security bar, but it's all I can come up with.

Sliding glass door? Exposure to lead probably isn't your biggest concern. Anyone wanting in is just going to break the glass.

There is probably as much worry in that bar as there is in ammunition or fishing tackle.

Wash your hands after you move it and don't lick it and you are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread