What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (2 Viewers)

I benched him for DMC....so olly will prolly have like 115 and and a teeter, throw in a few catches....DMC will prolly have like 12 yards rushing and 2 catches for 16 yards

Why is the news on him so quite this week?

Are there any thoughts on whats going on w/ this backfield?
Expectations that Gordon is healthy and just automatically returns to being the primary ball carrier, most likely. The "they drafted him high so they will keep trying to get him right" view.

I'm holding onto Oliver just in case. Juuuuuust in case. Only other option is Orleans Darkwa anyways... who I'm also curious about. Less curious though because of the 4 player committee they have going on there. IT'S LIKE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT OUR FANTASY TEAMS!!! :rant:

Branden Oliver has broken a run loose once a practice so far, he has been the better back so far. Gordon struggled today especially running out of shotgun but did spring one loose yesterday in part by a nice block by Henry to seal the edge.
Still a believer. I think Oliver can surprise people and be that guy in Chargers. 

I'm also a believer in Oliver's talent. He definitely passes my eye test. That said, Gordon was a 1st round pick so I believe the Chargers will give him a long leash. It's unfortunate because Oliver looks like the best RB on that team. 

As I posted in the Gordon thread in May:

IMO there is a chance that Oliver will be an ultimate successor to Woodhead, but I don't think the team sees him in the mold of a primary RB because of his size.

I think it would take significant injury to Woodhead or Gordon this year for him to get meaningful snaps this season. Even a continuing flop from Gordon probably wouldn't accomplish much for Oliver, since the team will feel compelled to give Gordon most or all of the season to come around, especially now that they could use the excuse that he might not be 100% coming off the surgery.

I suppose if Gordon were to open the season on the PUP list, the Chargers might try to make do with Oliver and Woodhead during that period. But if Chris Swain makes the team, he could fill the Gordon role in that scenario, since he is a bigger back. Same for Dreamius Smith, who was on the practice squad last year.

As for how Oliver has looked, he has looked okay as a receiver, but not so much as a runner. On 191 career carries, he has averaged 3.6 ypc and has 3 TDs. He also is not good in pass protection, which is a problem. I think he will make the team, but IMO he won't get many snaps.
If Oliver passes your eye test, I'm wondering how many of his snaps you have watched.

I would also point out that being the better back so far in comparison to Gordon doesn't necessarily mean much. For one thing, Gordon was terrible last year. For another, Gordon is coming off microfracture surgery. And, finally, they have only been practicing in pads for a couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also a believer in Oliver's talent. He definitely passes my eye test. That said, Gordon was a 1st round pick so I believe the Chargers will give him a long leash. It's unfortunate because Oliver looks like the best RB on that team. 
I don't know about that long leash. They might as well take a stand against mediocrity and make Gordon earn that RB #1 spot- at least that's what I'm hoping. Oliver will be the back to own in this team if that happens. I think he passed my eye test clearly and if he has developed as I hope, knows now what it takes and is in better shape as how he can handle the load, I really think there's a chance that he can give me some fantasy points this season. 

TripItUp said:
I also believe Oliver passes the eye test...great value in deep leagues IMHO.
My thoughts exactly. Not saying he's the new coming of anyone, but he's really worth to stash if you have bench.

Out for the season with an Achilles injury:

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/28/12683790/report-branden-oliver-ruled-out-for-2016-nfl-season-torn-achilles

I'm dropping him in my dynasties, as I don't think he's worth holding through this.

May grab Kenneth Farrow as a cheap gamble. Like him at Houston, but not expecting much out of a UDFA who might not even make the 53.
He has always been an afterthought.  He is a notch below Donald Brown and Tashard Choice in talent.

I've never even thought about owning him in any league - throw in on your pile with Toby Gerhart...

SAY LA VEE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't even want to watch it. 

So sad, I really think Oliver is a good rb who can do well in the NFL. Don't want to wait another year, but I think we have to... 

Didn't even want to watch it. 

So sad, I really think Oliver is a good rb who can do well in the NFL. Don't want to wait another year, but I think we have to... 
Honestly,a marginally talented guy suffering a torn Achilles may not ever have another year in this league.

I dropped him off my zealots roster which are very deep rosters.  I put him on IR a year ago and somehow kept him around but I'm not going to invest another year in him.  I hope my team depth has improved enough that he wouldn't survive my cut down to 40 players after the season.  He has had some nice moments but two season ending injuries in consecutive seasons for the young man is a real tough break.

Branden will be back this year and I have waited long to see what he's worth. Still nothing but believing and I have him now in all of my dynasty leagues as the price tag has been more than cheap for Melvin Gordon's back up. But here's the thing, I don't believe he will be just a back up, I think they are going to use him as they did with Woodhead, so he's easy points for bigger leagues. 

(RotoWire) Oliver has fully recovered from the season-ending Achilles injury he suffered during the 2016 preseason, ESPN's Eric Williams reports.

Analysis: Head coach Anthony Lynn suggested Oliver is back to full health, making all the necessary cuts and jukes during recent OTAs. Where Oliver will fit in the Chargers offense remains to be seen, as the 25-year-old has flashed nimble moves evocative of since-departed scatbacks Danny Woodhead and Darren Sproles. Oliver also has been a capable runner when healthy, finishing with 582 yards on 160 carries in his rookie season. More than likely, Oliver's role will be to spell workhorse Melvin Gordon while occasionally contributing as a third-down threat out of the backfield, but we'll gain more information as the team trudges towards training camp.
(USA Today Fantasy Sports) San Diego Chargers RB Branden Oliver has caught the attention of QB Philip Rivers this spring. "He looks good. He looks explosive. … I think he really is a great complement to Melvin (Gordon). Their styles are different, but similar. (We) have two backs who can run all the same plays, but it’s a little different. … Their movements are different. I think BO can be a heck of a changeup for us," Rivers said.
(Rotoworld) Philip Rivers indicated Branden Oliver (Achilles') has looked as good as new at Chargers OTAs.

Analysis: Oliver is coming off a brutal injury, but he suffered it last August and will be over a full year removed for Week 1. "Its been great (having him back)," Rivers. "Gosh, we had really such high expectations for him going into last year. ... He looks good. He looks explosive. I know its early, but I think he really is a great complement to Melvin (Gordon). Their styles are different, but similar. (We) have two backs who can run all the same plays." Oliver is a handcuff to remember entering the 2017 fantasy season.

Branden will be back this year and I have waited long to see what he's worth. Still nothing but believing and I have him now in all of my dynasty leagues as the price tag has been more than cheap for Melvin Gordon's back up. But here's the thing, I don't believe he will be just a back up, I think they are going to use him as they did with Woodhead, so he's easy points for bigger leagues. 
I like Oliver to some extent, but I don't get the comparison's to Woodhead or Sproles AT ALL. He's a decent option out of the backfield but does not have the speed or explosion of those guys (not even close). While they may not want to overuse Gordon, he'd be better in that role than Oliver if they left him in the game on passing downs.

Oliver is not even a lock to make the final roster. I think he will, but it is not a given. The team will carry a FB (Watt), which means they almost certainly will carry no more than 4 RBs. Gordon is obviously RB1, and there are currently 4 RBs battling for the other 3 spots: Oliver, Farrow, Andre Williams, and Barner. If I had to guess right now, assuming the team does not bring anyone else in, I think Farrow will be the odd man out.

However, the Eagles are expected to cut Mathews, and I think there is a chance the Chargers could sign him to back up Gordon. Mathews had the best season of his career under Chargers OC Whisenhunt in 2013, he should be inexpensive, and he should be much better than every RB competing to back up Gordon. If this were to happen, Oliver's role would be minimal barring injuries.

Very few RBs are as good as Woodhead in the passing game, and Oliver isn't one of them. He isn't good enough to force his way onto the field they way Woodhead did.

Best case for Oliver barring serious injuries ahead of him is probably 500 YFS and 4-ish TDs. Worst case is he gets released. :shrug:  

Oliver is not even a lock to make the final roster. I think he will, but it is not a given. The team will carry a FB (Watt), which means they almost certainly will carry no more than 4 RBs. Gordon is obviously RB1, and there are currently 4 RBs battling for the other 3 spots: Oliver, Farrow, Andre Williams, and Barner. If I had to guess right now, assuming the team does not bring anyone else in, I think Farrow will be the odd man out.

However, the Eagles are expected to cut Mathews, and I think there is a chance the Chargers could sign him to back up Gordon. Mathews had the best season of his career under Chargers OC Whisenhunt in 2013, he should be inexpensive, and he should be much better than every RB competing to back up Gordon. If this were to happen, Oliver's role would be minimal barring injuries.

Very few RBs are as good as Woodhead in the passing game, and Oliver isn't one of them. He isn't good enough to force his way onto the field they way Woodhead did.

Best case for Oliver barring serious injuries ahead of him is probably 500 YFS and 4-ish TDs. Worst case is he gets released. :shrug:  
Ok, that assessment couldn't be more wrong. He's lock to make the final roster, will bet my ### on it. 
As much as I like Barner and Williams, I don't, Oliver is the best of them all.

Best case scenario is that Melvin sucks (as he has sucked before) at first and Oliver will be his handcuff and when he get's a little injury, Oliver will run and never be caught.

Users who are viewing this thread