What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brees deal really only a 1 yr agreement? (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
Interesting - why wouldn't he just stay with SD if this was the case?

BREES DEAL IS A ONE-YEAR ARRANGEMENT

Lost in the hubbub regarding the decision of Drew Brees to sign with the Saints is the fact that his contract is, as a practical matter, a one-year deal.

Why? Because the deal contains a whopping $12 million option bonus due in the spring of 2007, in addition to his $8 million signing bonus.

We're not saying that the Saints won't pick up the option if Brees has an MVP season and delivers a Lombardi to the Bayou. Barring that highly unlikely outcome, however, the contract will either be terminated or restructured in a year, making the thing a one-year, $10 million deal.

So, as a practical matter, Brees doesn't have much more security than he would have had if the Chargers had slapped the franchise tag on him.

As a result, we're not prepared to give much credence to the news that the Saints will look to trade out of the No. 2 spot in the draft. At a time when the team is looking to parlay the Brees season ticket sales for folks who are happy to hear that Drew is coming to town, the last thing that the franchise needs to emphasize over the next months or so is the possibility that the Brees is but a Band-Aid.

Don't be shocked, then, if the Saints ultimately declare that they couldn't get commensurate value for the pick, and that they had no choice but to use on Matt Leinart.

Interesting - why wouldn't he just stay with SD if this was the case?

BREES DEAL IS A ONE-YEAR ARRANGEMENT

Lost in the hubbub regarding the decision of Drew Brees to sign with the Saints is the fact that his contract is, as a practical matter, a one-year deal.

Why? Because the deal contains a whopping $12 million option bonus due in the spring of 2007, in addition to his $8 million signing bonus.

We're not saying that the Saints won't pick up the option if Brees has an MVP season and delivers a Lombardi to the Bayou. Barring that highly unlikely outcome, however, the contract will either be terminated or restructured in a year, making the thing a one-year, $10 million deal.

So, as a practical matter, Brees doesn't have much more security than he would have had if the Chargers had slapped the franchise tag on him.

As a result, we're not prepared to give much credence to the news that the Saints will look to trade out of the No. 2 spot in the draft. At a time when the team is looking to parlay the Brees season ticket sales for folks who are happy to hear that Drew is coming to town, the last thing that the franchise needs to emphasize over the next months or so is the possibility that the Brees is but a Band-Aid.

Don't be shocked, then, if the Saints ultimately declare that they couldn't get commensurate value for the pick, and that they had no choice but to use on Matt Leinart.
According to the AP article I just read, it's $10 million upfront and the option is $12 million next year. The question is it team or player option though?

It's almost exactly like the franchise tag. $10 million this year and $12 million next year if they want to keep him. The franchise tag would have been $9.69 million this year and $11.63 million next year if they wanted to keep him (by re-franchising him).That's a fantastic deal for Brees and I'm happy for him. If those are the correct numbers, however, I'm scratching my head just a bit over what the Saints are thinking. If the $10 million this year is a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus, the Saints either have to pay Brees $12 million next year, or they have to release him and take about an $8 million cap hit in 2007. (Unless Brees agrees to renegotiate after this season, but they're at his mercy on that one.)

And (if I have the timeline right) this was after the Dolphins had traded for Culpepper, leaving the Saints as the only team that had expressed serious interest in Brees. I would have expected the Saints to be able to cut a more favorable deal in that situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost exactly like the franchise tag. $10 million this year and $12 million next year if they want to keep him. The franchise tag would have been $9.69 million this year and $11.63 million next year if they wanted to keep him (by re-franchising him).That's a fantastic deal for Brees and I'm happy for him. If those are the correct numbers, however, I'm scratching my head just a bit over what the Saints are thinking. If the $10 million this year is a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus, the Saints either have to pay Brees $12 million next year, or they have to release him and take about an $8 million cap hit in 2007. (Unless Brees agrees to renegotiate after this season, but they're at his mercy on that one.)

And (if I have the timeline right) this was after the Dolphins had traded for Culpepper, leaving the Saints as the only team that had expressed serious interest in Brees. I would have expected the Saints to be able to cut a more favorable deal in that situation.
Yeah, I don't really understand that either. For that matter even before the Culpepper trade MIA was only offering $7-8mil per reports so who exactly were the Saints bidding up against? Why did they go up to $10mil this year and $12 next? I can't help but wonder if we are getting the complete story on this.

Yeah, I don't really understand that either. For that matter even before the Culpepper trade MIA was only offering $7-8mil per reports so who exactly were the Saints bidding up against? Why did they go up to $10mil this year and $12 next? I can't help but wonder if we are getting the complete story on this.
Saints had to offer 10 to compete with the Dolphins 7. No state tax in Florida makes their 7 more like 9 in NO.

Perhaps that's why Brees supposedly accepted the Saints offer seconds after C-Pepp signed the Phins deal.It's an interesting scenerio nonetheless. If you're NO, do you have the stones to reduce the offer when C-Pepp signs with the Phins since you know Brees has lost bargaining power? Doesn't that come off the wrong way?

Then again, Brees had no problem creating an auction between the two in an effort to drive up value, and used his leverage to push both teams to offer more than he's worth, so it would be difficult to blame the Saints if they reduced their offer when Brees' leverage evaporated.

What say you MT? Would it have been low class for NO to lower their offer to say $8MM after finding out Miami was out of the running? If the Saints were your client, what would you advise?

Love the move by the Saints. Take the risk on Brees with no obligation after the year, get your impact player (Williams, Ferguson) and they're not waiting the 2-3 years waiting on Leinart or Young to develop (that's even if they do develop into NFL quality QB's).

Made little sense to wait on a QB with Horn getting closer to the end, McAllister turning 27 this season, and Stallworth now hitting the prime of his career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the move by the Saints. Take the risk on Brees with no obligation after the year, get your impact player (Williams, Ferguson) and they're not waiting the 2-3 years waiting on Leinart or Young to develop (that's even if they do develop into NFL quality QB's).

Made little sense to wait on a QB with Horn getting closer to the end, McAllister turning 27 this season, and Stallworth now hitting the prime of his career.
In theory, you're exactly right. Problem is, Brees is hurt, and may not be ready before week 3-6. So you're paying franchise money to a non-franchise QB who's banged up and questionable to start the season.No exactly a recipe for success in '06, IMO. I like this deal a lot better w/o the $12MM balloon payment next spring. Why was that necessary?

In theory, you're exactly right. Problem is, Brees is hurt, and may not be ready before week 3-6. So you're paying franchise money to a non-franchise QB who's banged up and questionable to start the season.No exactly a recipe for success in '06, IMO. I like this deal a lot better w/o the $12MM balloon payment next spring. Why was that necessary?
Bring on the Adrian McPherson era then :hifive:

Everything I've heard has him throwing in May. Where did you see that he won't be ready until week 3-6?Also, like I said in another thread, the cap should jump to $107 million in 2007, so the bonus should be easier to deal with then. Bottom line is, with the perception of how New Orleans is right now, it was necessary to overpay a little bit to get anyone of consequence to come down here. If he returns to form, I don't think we overpayed. If he can't recover fully, then we cut him loose and it doesn't kill our cap next year.

Everything I've heard has him throwing in May. Where did you see that he won't be ready until week 3-6?

Also, like I said in another thread, the cap should jump to $107 million in 2007, so the bonus should be easier to deal with then. Bottom line is, with the perception of how New Orleans is right now, it was necessary to overpay a little bit to get anyone of consequence to come down here. If he returns to form, I don't think we overpayed. If he can't recover fully, then we cut him loose and it doesn't kill our cap next year.
Totally agree. It's one of the smarter plays by our front office, I think. Totally unexpected.

Saints had to offer 10 to compete with the Dolphins 7. No state tax in Florida makes their 7 more like 9 in NO.
The state income tax in LA is 22%??? Last time I checked it maxed out at 6%. We'll never know the timeline here. Brees and the Saints say that they came to terms before the Dolphin trade, the Dolphins are saying that they traded Culpepper first. Everyone is going to try and save face here, so we'll never know.

Bring on the Adrian McPherson era then :hifive:
Please. No.

Users who are viewing this thread