What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brock Lesnar vs. Mike Tyson, in their prime (1 Viewer)

Who would win

• Brock

Votes: 68 43.0%
  • Tyson

Votes: 90 57.0%

• Total voters
Toney-Coutoure is a very poor substitute for prime Tyson-Lesnar. Toney at his best was an old-school-style middleweight textbook boxer with the fluidity of an Ezzard Charles with good but not outstanding power whose prime was from 1991-1994. Equating today's Toney to prime Tyson would be like trying to access prime Jerry Rice's skill by suiting up Ben Coates and seeing how he would do in the NFL of 2010.I don't think Coutoure is a legit barometer for assessing Lesnar either. The size difference is huge and the fighting styles are not similar at all.If you're going to watch the fight, enjoy it for what it is. Don't try to draw any sweeping generalities from it; they wouldn't hold water.
Toney is a fat slob, he's going to get handled tomorrow night

Helluva close pole.
Just voted from Brock to tie this up at 108. Turns out this should have been the 100-100 poll.
I didn't read the thread but logically it comes down to whether you think Tyson can get a few quick, crushing blows on Lesnar's face before Brock gets him on the ground. I already voted in this and it's so close in my mind, I can't even remember which way I voted.

Helluva close pole.
Just voted from Brock to tie this up at 108. Turns out this should have been the 100-100 poll.
I didn't read the thread but logically it comes down to whether you think Tyson can get a few quick, crushing blows on Lesnar's face before Brock gets him on the ground. I already voted in this and it's so close in my mind, I can't even remember which way I voted.
Mike Tyson in his prime 5"11' 220lbsBrock Lesnar in him prime 6"3' 260lbsI said Lesnar with little hesitation, but I thought Brock was slightly bigger then listed. I still think he wins, but it's not a slam dunk.

Street fight Tyson.

To be fair though, Lesnar was an 'sports entertainer' for a large portion of his prime. Still don't know if that changes his ability to take a shot though.

I'd take former WWE'er Kurt Angle in his prime over Lesnar in a fight vs. Tyson.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I thought of was the 90s videogame StreetFighter...the boxer guy and the Russian.

I say Tyson, because I think he would connect before Lesnar got him to the ground. Once Tyson connects with no gloves, facial bones are broken.

Street fight Tyson.To be fair though, Lesnar was an 'sports entertainer' for a large portion of his prime. Still don't know if that changes his ability to take a shot though.I'd take former WWE'er Kurt Angle in his prime over Lesnar in a fight vs. Tyson.
Brock took some pretty impressive shots in his MMA career and lived to tell the tale. His standup was a glaring weakness, but it only mattered against guys who were good grapplers. Assuming this is a random fight in a bar, Lesnar wins easily. If they are both training for a couple of years, specifically for this fight, then who knows.

:lmao: at people that think Tyson would have a chance.
No rules street fight? Yeah I took Tyson.
How well does he fight with a 265+ pound beast laying on top of him?
Why does that matter if the beast is knocked out?
Tough to knock a guy out when you're throwing punches from your back.
When Tyson was in his prime he had very fast hands with phenomenal power. And he grew up street fighting. I am going to guess someone has tried to take him off his feet before. I don't know that Brock would get it done without taking a ton of damage in the process. I am talking broken stuff and bitten off ears.

:lmao: at people that think Tyson would have a chance.
No rules street fight? Yeah I took Tyson.
How well does he fight with a 265+ pound beast laying on top of him?
Why does that matter if the beast is knocked out?
Tough to knock a guy out when you're throwing punches from your back.
When Tyson was in his prime he had very fast hands with phenomenal power. And he grew up street fighting. I am going to guess someone has tried to take him off his feet before. I don't know that Brock would get it done without taking a ton of damage in the process. I am talking broken stuff and bitten off ears.
Tyson would be completely unprepared for Lesnar's speed and takedown ability. In a random bar fight, Tyson is going to be thinking boxing and Lesnar is going to shoot and take him down before he knows what happened. We've seen what happens when boxers fight wrestlers plenty of times.

Lesnar would win...probably 75 times out of 100.

He's far too big and fast for Tyson to handle. In the 25 out of 100 times that I think Tyson would win, he's getting lucky and catching Lesnar with a haymaker as Lesnar closes in. The vast majority of the time, Lesnar gets in close and smothers Tyson after taking a glancing blow or two. After that, it's ground and pound against someone who has no idea how to defend himself in that situation.

Typical fight would be something like:

-Fighters close in on each other (in a bar, on the street, whatever)

-Tyson throws a big punch at Brock's face

-Brock covers up and takes a glancing blow, lowering his head and charging into Tyson

-Brock lifts and takes Tyson to the ground while taking another one or two glancing blows to the side of the head and/or body

-Brock smothers Tyson and delivers ground-and-pound blows until Tyson is a bloody pulp.

Don't get me wrong though...if you make this a sanctioned boxing match, give Lesnar three free shots at the beginning and tie one of Tyson's arms behind his back, I'm voting Tyson all the way. But Lesnar is the clear victor in a street fight in their primes.

I'm a huge fan of Tyson, because I think he's one of the few legitimately bad guys who has actually turned it around. Not a big fan of Brock. But how in the world do you not take Brock here? Tyson had great head movement and ridiculous power. But Brock is a near all-world caliber wrestler. Unless Tyson manages to catch him coming in, I can't see him stuffing Brock's takedown. And once on the ground, Tyson is completely unprepared. And he's also facing a guy who was 260 lbs, strong as an ox, had a pretty immovable base, and has hands the size of a Christmas ham.

I'm a big boxing guy. I liked Tyson and Roy Jones and Erik Morales, etc. But MMA is a totally different animal. Boxers train to stand up and hit guys between the stomash and the head. They don't train to sprawl or use a whizzer or a sweep. Basically they know very little about not getting taken down or what to do once you're there. Which isn't an insult, they're just not taught to. It'd be like taking a MLB player and putting them on a cricket team. They have the skill, just no training for it.

i would have to go with brock because he is a more skilled fighter and the wrestling skills are more valuable in a street fight. However, lets not underestimate the ruthless tactics that tyson would use in a street fight. As said, like lesnar is an expert level wrestler, tyson is an expert level street fighter. that shouldnt be taken lightly.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that IF Brock gets him to the ground, it's over.

But Tyson's hands were lightning quick. Lesnar has to approach Tyson before he can tackle him.

If Tyson's right hand connects on Brock's approach, it's over in three seconds. That's what this whole thing boils down to.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that IF Brock gets him to the ground, it's over.

But Tyson's hands were lightning quick. Lesnar has to approach Tyson before he can tackle him.

If Tyson's right hand connects on Brock's approach, it's over in three seconds. That's what this whole thing boils down to.
Here's what happens when an almost 50 year old wrestler 60 lbs lighter than Lesnar fights a boxer who has had 9 months to prepare for a fight. Skip ahead to 2:45.http://www.boobootv.com/2010/08/30/randy-couture-vs-james-toney-full-fight/

Here's what happens when an almost 50 year old wrestler 60 lbs lighter than Lesnar fights a boxer who has had 9 months to prepare for a fight. Skip ahead to 2:45.http://www.boobootv.com/2010/08/30/randy-couture-vs-james-toney-full-fight/
Hang on, I'll get to it. I'm busy looking for a fight between two random guys who aren't Lesnar and Tyson.

The key is how low to the ground Couture is in his takedown attempt. Toney doesn't have the slightest chance to throw a meaningful punch before he's on his back.People act like Lesnar is going to run in for the takedown standing up and leave his face wide open for a Tyson punch. He'd be diving at an ankle just like Couture. If Tyson hit him before he went down, it would be a glancing blow.

Tyson also had a lot of swivel going on in his hardest punches. He also fought a number of fighters who ranged from average to tomato cans who he failed to knock out with his first 10 or 20 or 30 punches. Now the size of boxing gloves had some to do with that, but it's not as if every punch Tyson threw had the ability to take down a man of Lesnar's size. The other side to that is Lesnar wasn't known to have an iron chin. He could take a punch, but if he got tagged a few times, he clearly didn't like it, and he'd turtle up. The problem is that unless Tyson tags him good on Lesnar's approach, he's going straight down. Now you're trying to sell Tyson as a guy who could knock anyone out with one punch in a split second. But the probability of Tyson knocking out Lesnar immediately is relatively low, where as the probability of Lesnar taking Tyson down immediately is ridiculously high. You have to figure, how many BOXERS were able to tie Tyson up and force a break. Relatively untalented guys who have little in-ring legacy other than getting knocked out by Tyson.I think, realistically, if Tyson and Lesnar were to square off 100 times, Tyson would be able to tag him maybe 8-15 of those times. The rest, Lesnar would take him down immediately and either hammerfists or polar bear choke.

I do think a worse match-up for Tyson would be Dan Henderson. He also has all-world wrestling skill, but his chin is the stuff of legends.

For those that follow MMA -- how do the grapplers typically approach the boxers and get close enough for a takedown without taking a punch? Or do they just try to work it so that the inevitable punch hits them in a relatively "safe" place, absorb the blow, and then complete the takedown?I saw some very early UFCs, when there were still dedicated boxers and wrestlers competing. The boxers they had, though, just looked relatively lousy at fighting in general ... and even as boxers, they were WAY out of Tyson's league.
The wrestlers always have the advantage unless the boxer has a tremendous take-down defense..

Lots of interesting things here.

Lesner is not 265 unless he has a weighin that day. The rest of the time he is walking around at 290-300+

He does not have to go for a takedown.

He can simply clinch and throw him with an over/underhook.

Easiest way to the ground may be to simply tackle Tyson as soon as Tyson comes in close enought to punch.

I'm taking Lesner about 75-85% of the time. Well placed punch and crazy will lead to some wins for Tyson but Lesner holds the advantage.

Can't believe Tyson is ahead in the poll. Lesnar wouldn't have much difficulty in taking Tyson to the ground, and from there he would smash him.

Hang on, I'll get to it. I'm busy looking for a fight between two random guys who aren't Lesnar and Tyson.
Toney was a old, flat blob here...nothing like an in his prime Tyson.

Toney was a old, flat blob here...nothing like an in his prime Tyson.
Tyson voters, care to change now?

I think Tyson knocked out 1 'No name wannabe' in the amount of time it would take Lesner to get him to the ground.. Lesner isn't a 'no name wannabe'..

The legend of Mike Tyson lives on a few fights against chumps.. 9 times out of 10, Lesner takes him down and pummels him immediately..

I think this guy has the pulse of this thing.

Strange poll, strange results. Who cares how fast Tyson's hands are/were? Lesnar is world class at taking people off their feet from down low, and outweighed him by 40-50 lbs. Tyson's only defense would be if he had world class takedown D. His lightning quick hands are irrelevant against an opponent submarining him. Best he could hope for would be one good solid hammerfist to the back. Lesnar annihilates him 100 times out of 100. Not even close. Way more humiliating than the Toney - Couture fight, which featured a Couture pushing fifty AND giving up a ton of weight to his opponent.

Forget Lesnar. Every competent semi-pro MMA guy lightweight or above on the planet destroys Tyson. That's not to say an in-his-prime Mike couldn't have trained up and been an MMA force, but to the best of my knowledge, he never did. :shrug:

Quick hands means everything, unless you figure Lesnar will politely ask him to grapple. Remember what happened when Lesnar tried to make the Vikings as a defensive lineman? What happened? He made it a day or two before tapping out. "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." No core strength, huge upper body as a result of prolonged steroid abuse. Zero excuse for a bunch of bad-body players to be pushing him around, whether he had developed NFL-caliber technique yet or not.

My point is that Tyson, when he was undefeated, was a trained killer with lethal hands. If Lesnar approaches him in sloppy, undisciplined fashion, he'd be down like a sack of potatoes in the blink of an eye.

^^^^^^

That was all complete crap, BTW. Did I sell it???

I honestly have no earthly idea who I would bet on if my life depended on it.

Users who are viewing this thread