What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos Marshall loses endoresment deal for anthem snub (2 Viewers)

I'm tired of hearing about it because a) I don't give a #### if someone wants to stand, kneel or do a back flip during the national anthem and b) whenever I hear an announcer talking about it while I'm trying to watch football it elicits the same reaction from as as does someone talking about politics in a Spencer Ware thread.

I'm sympathetic to the cause and understand these players have a platform in which their message will actually be received but I'm selfish and feel entitled to politics free football.
yep.. 

They have a stage where people will notice.  If some dude in the ghetto refused to stand for the anthem nobody would give a ####.  
I liked your post but the point I was trying to make is we've come along way since blacks weren't even allowed to play professional sports a few generations ago.

I guess I don't see why people are so up in arms about this. What are people debating? That players can't show they're objection or protest to something? it seems nearly everyone seems to agree they can. That fans or sponsors can't object or drop players because they object to their stances? Nearly everyone seems to be in agreement this is ok too. What's all the hubbub?

I liked your post but the point I was trying to make is we've come along way since blacks weren't even allowed to play professional sports a few generations ago.
I think it's the methodology. The feeling seems to be that there are better ways to protest than by showing disrespect.

I love this schtick of multi millionaire athletes protesting inequity and discrimination 
A more charitable way of looking at it is that somebody who has a platform is choosing to use that platform to bring attention to a cause he believes in, and is taking a financial hit in doing so.  

I'm tired of hearing about it because a) I don't give a #### if someone wants to stand, kneel or do a back flip during the national anthem and b) whenever I hear an announcer talking about it while I'm trying to watch football it elicits the same reaction from as as does someone talking about politics in a Spencer Ware thread.

I'm sympathetic to the cause and understand these players have a platform in which their message will actually be received but I'm selfish and feel entitled to politics free football.
This is also the rub for me. I'd rather football be politics-free on all sides, but I guess that's nearly impossible in a billion-dollar industry. Plus, who am I to tell an athlete what they can and can't say? I can vehemently disagree, and dislike the athlete (see: Ali for me), but that doesn't mean I have authority over them or their platform. Then again, just typing this out makes me realize I wish they would respect their platform more in other arenas of life, sort of like a Cam Newton or Marshawn Lynch and their charitable works.  

Last edited by a moderator:
When star athletes do it, millions see it and, partially because of the discomfort, think about it. When protests make people uncomfortable, some get angry, dig in, and celebrate the loss of endorsements or employment or reputation or life. But some opinions change, and a dialogue gets going.
Not all protests are created equal. I don't see that these protests are leading to opinion changes or to an advancement in dialogue. Kaepernick, Marshall, and the like ... they get people to notice, but not to reflect.

Turning a tide (changing minds) requires more than mere taking stands. The messenger has to be right for the situation. The messenger has to elicit both sympathy and empathy from those that feel differently from them. Changing minds is one of the hardest things to effect in broader society, most especially when trying to do so more quickly than it would normally happen "organically".

All that said -- these players should continue to follow their conscience and work towards the changes they want to see in society. They should not allow themselves to be led by the nose by cynical, opportunistic users. Into which of these buckets these actions belong is an exercise left to the individual.

:thumbup:   :thumbup:

from Mike Evans Hollywood Report

Shocking but true Nessa Diab is a Hot Hip Hop morning DJ at Hot 97 in San Francisco, a Berkeley Grad, who admits being a dogmatic Black Lives Matters supporter and she is engaged to 49er Colin Kaepernick. Is it true that she threatened to break-up with him if he didn’t use his position to help BLM? And as we know, he did what he was told. Talk about being whipped!
She can whip me anytime! :wub:

Awesome all around.  Marshall has a right to express.  His sponsor has a right to un-align himself with Marshall.   Freedom of press, the market - good stuff. 

The tone of the CEO's comments were spot on. Respectful of Marshall and his right to expression and the value of that right, strong disagreement with his viewpoint and the consequences of the market in response.  

Kudos all around. For once. 

A more charitable way of looking at it is that somebody who has a platform is choosing to use that platform to bring attention to a cause he believes in, and is taking a financial hit in doing so.  
The majority of athletes are broke and irrelevant after their careers anyways.  Might as well speed up the process.

from Mike Evans Hollywood Report

Shocking but true Nessa Diab is a Hot Hip Hop morning DJ at Hot 97 in San Francisco, a Berkeley Grad, who admits being a dogmatic Black Lives Matters supporter and she is engaged to 49er Colin Kaepernick. Is it true that she threatened to break-up with him if he didn’t use his position to help BLM? And as we know, he did what he was told. Talk about being whipped!
Things are starting to make a little sense. That's about as BLM a thing to do as there is. Gross. 

Legal troubles

According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct, and resisting an officer.[85]

On January 1, 2007, Marshall was present at The Shelter, a nightclub in Denver, Colorado, along with teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams. The trio was attending a birthday party held for and by Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the players were leaving the club in a limousine, Williams was fatally shot in the neck after an unknown assailant opened fire on the vehicle. Willie Clark was later charged with the murder.[86] Walker has stated in interviews that the shooter was likely a nightclub patron whose motive was retaliation after being involved in an altercation with Marshall's cousin earlier that night.[87][88]

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[89] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[90]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[91] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[92] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[93] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[92]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[94] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[95] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[96]

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[97] The charges were dropped the following day.[98]

On April 23, 2011, Marshall was stabbed near his stomach by his wife, Michi Nogami-Marshall. He was taken to a hospital and was released two days later. He has since made a full recovery.[99][100]

It was later revealed by police that Marshall's wife did make a brief 911 call, but it only described an unspecified emergency and no mention of a stabbing ever took place. She was charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and is free on $7,500 bail.

In a South Florida Sun-Sentinel article published on July 30, 2011, it was revealed that Marshall was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder at Boston's McLean Hospital after his incident with Nogami-Campbell.[101] He is currently pursuing treatment for his mental illness and filming a documentary about his struggle.

On early Sunday, March 11, 2012, two days before his trade to the Bears, Marshall was accused of hitting a woman in the face at a New York club and being involved in a melee. The New York Post stated that Marshall, his wife and some friends were at Marquee when a brawl ensued, and Marshall punched the woman below her left eye, although he may have been attempting to hit the woman's friends.[102] The investigation later ended after a lack of evidence of Marshall's role in the incident.[103]
The Credit Union signed him to an endorsement deal after all this occurred but dropped him after he knelt during the national anthem.

Aside from the endorsement and the sitting, anybody see the look in this guy's eyes when the camera was on Von Miller in the locker room before the game. He looked...intense. No surprise he sat down. That must have been a tough decision for him.  I wonder what was going through his head.  

Aside from the endorsement and the sitting, anybody see the look in this guy's eyes when the camera was on Von Miller in the locker room before the game. He looked...intense. No surprise he sat down. That must have been a tough decision for him.  I wonder what was going through his head.  
More likely than not, IMO, he was just supporting his guy. 

Why does it make you yawn? I'm interested. 
It's a really boring topic to me. A player chooses to do this, it's a legitimate form of protest. They upset some people which is also understandable. Advertisers choose to drop a guy, totally understandable. 

Everything is working here as it should. 

No opinion on this sitting for the Anthem thing. There are certainly problems. No idea how to deal with them. No idea if this method will help or not. Listened to Marshall talk about his decision to do this, and he seems like a good kid trying to do the right thing.

I'm really just curious, how big of an endorsement deal can this possibly be? Air Academy Credit Union? A deal with a LB that nobody's ever heard of?  (before the protest and attack on Cam Newton). 

Were they paying him in Golden Corral gift certificates? Couldn't have been much.

No opinion on this sitting for the Anthem thing. There are certainly problems. No idea how to deal with them. No idea if this method will help or not. Listened to Marshall talk about his decision to do this, and he seems like a good kid trying to do the right thing.

I'm really just curious, how big of an endorsement deal can this possibly be? Air Academy Credit Union? A deal with a LB that nobody's ever heard of?  (before the protest and attack on Cam Newton). 

Were they paying him in Golden Corral gift certificates? Couldn't have been much.
Local deal, I'd guess not a lot of money.  He has to be somewhat known there - remember, the air force academy is about an hour from Denver.  But it seems a lot of local businesses get lesser known guys to endorse them. 

There is still inequality in there sport/league in the ranks of coaching and owners.  Always something to protest, GB...
I suspect the percentage of black NFL coaches is much larger than the percentage of blacks in the general population, but I'm too lazy to research it.

Not entirely true. The anthem is played to honor the country the military defends. Not standing is disrespecting both.
I have heard many people who served saying that they did so to allow people to do exactly what the players are doing.

As a veteran, I feel that I am not represented by the flag. The flag symbolizes my country and by extention, its ideals.  I swore to defend our nation and all that it stands for.  To me that means that if you want to raise your fist in protest you have that right.  If you want to say the President isn't doing a good job you have that right. If you want to say that things are ####ed up you have that right.

I love all the trolls on Twitter talking #### to the wrong Brandon Marshall, I guess since they're both black it's a simple mistake 

As a veteran, I feel that I am not represented by the flag. The flag symbolizes my country and by extention, its ideals.  I swore to defend our nation and all that it stands for.  To me that means that if you want to raise your fist in protest you have that right.  If you want to say the President isn't doing a good job you have that right. If you want to say that things are ####ed up you have that right.
And if you want to release a person who you don't feel has your values, you have that right. Seems everyone is pretty much in agreement on this one.

I'll say this. The protesting in general doesn't bother me at all. Kaep raised a very important issue that STILL isn't getting discussed because people want to focus on him instead of the actual matter, which is the easy way out for the MSM.

I disagree however doing it on 9/11. 9/11 more to me is about honoring and remembering the lives of 3000 people senselessly killed, even though over the years it has taken on a more generalized "love america" tone, which I disagree with.

I guess if any of us worked at, say, a BMW dealership and we decided to protest something, we have that right.  But we would led probably do it at some organized event or somewhere and not in the showroom on a Saturday morning. 

My point being that while the players of course have the right to express their opinions, they should realize that they have the opportunity to send a strong message as popular and known athletes but even in pro sports, there is a time and a place and, even in pro sports, at work is usually not the best choice of place.  

If if these guys truly and honestly feel compelled and feel this strongly about something then start a foundation or take ads out on local market tv and newpaper and get your community behind you.  Don't come into the locker room trying to push your kids Girl Scout cookies. It just comes across as attention seeking and self serving versus awareness raising. 

People that complain about political correctness and SJWs getting people fired are actually being hypocrites when they applaud pro athletes losing money for simply making a political statement.

I don't agree with what these guys are doing, but I don't think they should be punished for it.

That fans or sponsors can't object or drop players because they object to their stances? Nearly everyone seems to be in agreement this is ok too.
You know, this is wierd. When Brendan Eich was forced to resign after donating to Prop 8, there were plenty of people here who called it an attack on free speech. When Chick-Fil-A and Memories Pizza faced boycotts for supporting anti-gay causes, those same people thought that was an attack on free speech, too. Heck, we had an entire thread dedicated to chronicling the left's effort to kill free speech through tactics like this. So I'm a little confused as to why these same people, if they are not enormous hypocrites, seem to have no problem with Marshall suffering financial harm "just for expressing an opinion". 

You know, this is wierd. When Brendan Eich was forced to resign after donating to Prop 8, there were plenty of people here who called it an attack on free speech. When Chick-Fil-A and Memories Pizza faced boycotts for supporting anti-gay causes, those same people thought that was an attack on free speech, too. Heck, Rockaction started an entire thread dedicated to chronicling the left's effort to kill free speech through tactics like this. So I'm a little confused as to why these same people, if they are not enormous hypocrites, seem to have no problem with Marshall suffering financial harm "just for expressing an opinion". 
No I didn't. I might have had memorable posts in there, but I sure didn't start it. I think I related my personal experiences at University and beyond, but never really got that into that particular thread. It's a tricky subject. 

I did argue that actions like this chill free speech, but I never came to a real conclusion about the ethics and morals of doing something like the credit union. That was somebody else. I also never argued the illegality of it, other than the true threat doctrine.  

I start threads like "The Way To The Left Turns Ever Inward" and other apparently incomprehensible crap. 

I may be an ardent right/fusionist, and maybe that's what you're remembering.  

eta2* Here's where I started my contributions to that thread. It was about de Tocqueville and my experience at University.  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/727622-the-silencing-how-the-left-is-killing-free-speech/?do=findComment&comment=18106764

Don't make me use the site's search function.

(seriously please don't make me do that)
Please do. It was Tso. 

It was called "How The Left is Silencing Free Speech" 

It was about a book. I didn't start it because I was ambivalent about it. I've worked for prominent right-wingers that argue for censorship, so it didn't seem like a perfect thesis. But SJWs and other rabid lefties are having more of an effect on truly free speech right now than the right. I think I quoted de Tocqueville in that thread, too.  

*BTW I didn't catch your joke, but now I do. 

And for the record, both in this in the Kaepernick thread, i've generally been ambivalent about them not standing. I'd rather they did, but I haven't peeped negatively about it. I remember not standing for the pledge in high school and it became a thing.  :shrugs:

Found it. It was actually Ghost Rider who started it, or at least the one I was thinking of. My apologies.
No sweat. Like my above posts states, I was ambivalent for a host of reasons about that book, but agree with some its premises.  

And I know about free speech and state actors. I'm thinking about the tyranny of the majority on thought and speech in democracies, much like Alexis did.  

Users who are viewing this thread