What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bronko Nagurski Award & Elvis Dumervil (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Bronko Nagurski Award - TOP DEFENSIVE PLAYER

Recognizes the nation's top defensive player, presented by the FWAA/Charlotte Touchdown Club.

2005 - Elvis Dumervil, Louisville

2004 - Derrick Johnson, Texas

2003 - Derrick Strait, Oklahoma

2002 - Terrell Suggs, Arizona State

2001 - Roy Williams, Oklahoma

2000 - Dan Morgan, Miami FL

1999 - Corey Moore, Virginia Tech

1998 - Champ Bailey, Georgia

1997 - Charles Woodson, Michigan

1996 - Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

1995 - Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

1994 - Warren Sapp, Miami FL

1993 - Rob Waldrop, Arizona

Solid list of players who have won the award. Elvis is ranked as the #10 DE by NFL Draft Countdown and is a bit small (6-0, 256) and slow (4.70). Seems to be more of a 3-4 OLB than DE.

I also looked up to see why Pat Fitzgerald (6-3, 233) didn't make it after winning so many awards and he was very slow (4.85) and went undrafted.

I think Dumervil is going to be one of those who take a plunge on draft day then turn out to be a decent player. He is working out as an LB at the combine. He was not impressive at DE at the Senior Bowl.

I think Dumervil is going to be one of those who take a plunge on draft day then turn out to be a decent player. He is working out as an LB at the combine. He was not impressive at DE at the Senior Bowl.
I hope his stock keeps dropping. If Pittsburgh could pick him up at #64, he could be a bonafide steal, if he's fast enough to play LB in a 3-4.

I hope his stock keeps dropping. If Pittsburgh could pick him up at #64, he could be a bonafide steal, if he's fast enough to play LB in a 3-4.
Looks like he was for the Broncos in the 4th (#126):
2006 Denver Broncos 13 games 14.0 Tkl 3 Ast 8.5 Sacks 1 Pass Def
Last year's winner was Ohio State middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, the first true sophomore to win the award and eligible for the draft in 2008.Link

Last edited by a moderator:
While I think Laurinaitis is a fine player, IMHO he is going to play second fiddle to Xavier Adibi, Dan Connor and Rey Maualuga in this upcoming season and in the 08 draft. When you include Rivers and Vince Hall, the 08 class of Linebackers could be special, with a ton of talent at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread