What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns A+ 1st Round (1 Viewer)

LawFitz

Footballguy
Corey Coleman (luv this guy's game)

+

2017 1st rounder

2017 2nd rounder

2018 2nd rounder

(2) 2016 3rd rounders

2016 4th rounder

to move from 2nd to 15th.

They now have 4 picks tonight to everyone else's ~2. Plus tomorrow they have the first two picks to open day 3. This draft is deep through rd 3. Let's see if they make more Coleman-type picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's narrative:  

'Well, picks are nice, but eventually you have to pick someone'.  So stupid.  
Yep.  They picked before 17 other teams:), and are about to have two picks before any other team.......while adding a future 1st, two 2nds, and some 3rds.

Yes, so far regarding JUST the NFL draft, this FO has done an incredible job with both trades they made and also drafting a playmaker that is pretty highly regarded.

And IMO that 2017 1st has a heck of a chance to be VERY high...............both of them

Yep.  The picked before 17 other teams:), and are about to have two picks before any other team.

Yes, so far regarding JUST the NFL draft, this FO has done an incredible job with both trades they made and also drafting a playmaker that is pretty highly regarded.
It is kick starting the rebuilding process, an advantage my Raiders didn't have.  They should use all these picks, maybe a small trade up here or there, but come out with a big class, let the young guys grow together in CLE.

I like the trades and I like who they picked as well. It wont be until 2021 that we could fairly assess what the Browns do with the rest of the picks they have gained. I think they certainly increased their odds of getting good players due to more picks.

I like the trades and I like who they picked as well. It wont be until 2021 that we could fairly assess what the Browns do with the rest of the picks they have gained. I think they certainly increased their odds of getting good players due to more picks.
Thats the idea, cause this team has no chance to win for 3 year no matter what they did anyway.

Both Coleman picks were huge.  Ogbah great too.  Not sure about the other 2.  But overall they've done pretty darn good.

Outside pass rushers are few in this draft yet Cleveland got two of them while also adding a nice player who can play DT or 5 tech DE.

Coleman a decent prospect for pass protection.

Not sure I like the QB pick but I think they did pretty well up to that point.

5 picks down, 8 more to go tomorrow, including the first two to open the 4th round and a total of 7 picks in rds 4-5.

It's clear Depodesta's moneyball approach includes a high quantity of draft picks. I suspect we'll see them trading down again next year. Cheap rookie contracts are cap gold.

I loved their draft. Decided that they didn't like the odds of Wentz turning into a franchise QB and traded out of the pick despite their glaring need. Traded down twice in the 1st and picked up tons of picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2016-18 drafts. Used their first 2 picks on players who had excellent college production and excellent workout numbers. Valued their picks and didn't throw them away by trading back up. Used mid round picks on Nassib & Higgins, who both had excellent production in college (though some questions about whether their game will translate to the pros). Threw a ton of picks at receiver, knowing that you shouldn't consider a need "filled" just because you've added a fourth round prospect at the position (odds are that the prospect won't pan out).

It'll be interesting to see how this roster rounds into shape over the next few years. Especially at the QB position - are Griffin & Kessler going to be as terrible as one might expect? Will Cleveland be in position to take a top QB prospect next year, and will they pull the trigger?

I think I'm turning into a Browns fan.

While "fan" is way too strong a word for me, they are an interesting team right now and it would be good for the league to see them succeed.   

They could become football's cubs.  The lovable loser who people want to see do well (other than fans of their division foes / rivals).

I really like the Browns approach.  They are trying to build a team from scratch and know it is not happening overnight. They did not draft a QB that they didn't like.  

And IMO that 2017 1st has a heck of a chance to be VERY high...............both of them
I've been a closet Brown's fan backer for a few years and really like what they did in this draft.  There's a little deja vu in this statement as I recall being optimistic about them in the Spring before.  It would be nice to see them in the mix or at last making some noise next season.

RIP Josh Gordon.

I loved their draft. Decided that they didn't like the odds of Wentz turning into a franchise QB and traded out of the pick despite their glaring need. Traded down twice in the 1st and picked up tons of picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2016-18 drafts. Used their first 2 picks on players who had excellent college production and excellent workout numbers. Valued their picks and didn't throw them away by trading back up. Used mid round picks on Nassib & Higgins, who both had excellent production in college (though some questions about whether their game will translate to the pros). Threw a ton of picks at receiver, knowing that you shouldn't consider a need "filled" just because you've added a fourth round prospect at the position (odds are that the prospect won't pan out).

It'll be interesting to see how this roster rounds into shape over the next few years. Especially at the QB position - are Griffin & Kessler going to be as terrible as one might expect? Will Cleveland be in position to take a top QB prospect next year, and will they pull the trigger?

I suspect their plan was stockpile a bunch of players who will be good in a couple of years but also enable them to get the #1 pick next year.

The Browns are proof that everyone is much more terrible at this than they think they are. 

3 out of every 4 years the SP raves over how awesome the Browns picks were this year, while at the same time talking about how bad the Browns are at this. With hindsight everyone calls them horrible for making the picks they themselves  loved at the time. 

I suspect their plan was stockpile a bunch of players who will be good in a couple of years but also enable them to get the #1 pick next year.
I'm not sure it was that complicated but I agree they would love to win one game this year......

Certainly possible. Eagles have a first year head coach and at best Sam Bradford as the QB. I see 8-8, 9-7 as our ceiling. Probably 7-9 more realistically.

It's only my opinion, but if I'm right, 1.15 is going to wind up being a pretty high price to pay for a WR who's ultimate contribution is going to be as a punt returner.

I promise to come back and eat crow if I'm wrong about him, but I think the Browns 'Browned' again with Cory Coleman. Right Position, wrong Player.

But what do I know? Good luck!

It's only my opinion, but if I'm right, 1.15 is going to wind up being a pretty high price to pay for a WR who's ultimate contribution is going to be as a punt returner.

I promise to come back and eat crow if I'm wrong about him, but I think the Browns 'Browned' again with Cory Coleman. Right Position, wrong Player.

But what do I know? Good luck!
Good lord. 

Coleman was, without doubt, my highest rated WR coming in to this draft, and has been for months. What in his college tape has EVER led you to come to the conclusion of "punt returner"

Good lord. 

Coleman was, without doubt, my highest rated WR coming in to this draft, and has been for months. What in his college tape has EVER led you to come to the conclusion of "punt returner"
Yeah I don't see it either. Coleman is the second best WR to come out in the last two years.

Used their first 2 picks on players who had excellent college production and excellent workout numbers. Valued their picks and didn't throw them away by trading back up. Used mid round picks on Nassib & Higgins, who both had excellent production in college (though some questions about whether their game will translate to the pros).

You hit on something.  

Excellent college production and the big question of whether it transfers to the pro level.

Justin Higdon ‏@afc2nfc  4h4 hours ago
Browns drafted the '15 Biletnikoff winner, '15 Big 12 Co-DPOY, '15 Lombardi winner & B1G DPOY, B1G LBOY, & '14 Pac12 DPOY
Brent Sobleski ‏@brentsobleski  4h4 hours ago
Brent Sobleski Retweeted Justin Higdon
#Awards

(Scooby also won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Rotary Lombardi Award & Chuck Bednarik Award last year.)Brent Sobleski added,
Justin Higdon @afc2nfc
Browns drafted the '15 Biletnikoff winner, '15 Big 12 Co-DPOY, '15 Lombardi winner & B1G DPOY, B1G LBOY, & '14 Pac12 DPOY

Justin Higdon ‏@afc2nfc  3h3 hours ago
6 of 14 Browns picks were 1st or 2nd team All-Americans at some point: C Coleman, Nassib, Schobert (2nd tm), Drango, & Scoob (1st tm '14)
Certainly possible. Eagles have a first year head coach and at best Sam Bradford as the QB. I see 8-8, 9-7 as our ceiling. Probably 7-9 more realistically.
I agree.  I see the Eagles in the 9-7 to 7-9 range which would be a pick somewhere in the mid teens unless they squeak into the playoffs.

There shouldn't be too much enthusiasm about the 2016 IMHO because the only 'extra' picks acquired via trades are a 3rd and 4th round picks and a trade down for an extra late round picks and one of those picks was on QB Kessler who 'probably' won't see the field and/or make any contributions this year and the other two picks will 'likely' contribute most on special teams this year.  

I think we won't see the true value of these trades until next year after this year's draft settles in and then the Browns get an extra 1st and 2nd round picks to fill specific needs.  This year's group is huge, 14 picks but the team has lots of holes so they have a great opportunity to make the team and contribute.  Maybe a few late round picks stick and prove themselves due to opportunity that doesn't exist on most other NFL teams but I wouldn't expect 'great' play this year.  

Next year we 'might' see the true benefit/detriment of these deals.  This year is too soon to consider this a win or a loss IMHO.

In the strongest possible manner I implore you not to go down this dark road.

I really like the Browns approach.  They are trying to build a team from scratch and know it is not happening overnight. They did not draft a QB that they didn't like.  
Yep, agree. They are rebuilding the team from scratch.

They can also miss on Coleman.  That's allowed, it happens.  If Jordan Payton or Ricardo Louis become Pro Bowlers, does it really matter?  Obviously, it's better if they ALL hit, but if the Browns get good WRs out of this draft, who cares which pick it was?

Also, the Browns gets the extra picks.  Coleman can fail, and the trade can still be a massive home run.

Draft position mattered yesterday.  Today, the Browns added 14 new players that are on cheap 4 year contracts.  

I like the draft a lot, partly because of the coverage they got at different positions, a lot of this draft can make the team, they mostly won't be knocking each other out of roster spots, and they can play together as a team for several years. Meanwhile the knuckleheads are either sent packing or learn they have to get with the new chemistry. This could really change things in Cleveland.

This is why the Browns are the Browns.  Average draft when they should have been one of the top drafting teams.  They took the 3-4th best WR first, Ogbah will be good., rest in the 3rd are average.  I feel bad for Brown fans hopefully they get someone who knows how to draft, bye next year, cause it doesn't matter how many picks you have when you keep taking bad players.

This is why the Browns are the Browns.  Average draft when they should have been one of the top drafting teams.  They took the 3-4th best WR first, Ogbah will be good., rest in the 3rd are average.  I feel bad for Brown fans hopefully they get someone who knows how to draft, bye next year, cause it doesn't matter how many picks you have when you keep taking bad players.
:lol:  k

If Bradford leaves the Eagles, do people still see an 8-8 team there?  If Bradford stays, plays, and stays healthy, I can see 8-8.  Otherwise their QBs are a giant mess for this year, and not like the rest of the roster is top notch either.

I've been a closet Brown's fan backer for a few years and really like what they did in this draft.  There's a little deja vu in this statement as I recall being optimistic about them in the Spring before.  It would be nice to see them in the mix or at last making some noise next season.

RIP Josh Gordon.
It happens.  We all hoped for better than 12 and 19 that  year, and we all thought Buffalo would be worse than they worse. 

But if simply trading your future 1st meant you would overachieve I think more teams would do it.

I think that the Browns took 4 WRs in the draft.  Does that mean that most of their current WRs are worthless?  I felt that Hartline made a decent #3 or #4 WR ( in PPR leagues).  Is he pretty much history at this point?  How about Pryor-same for him?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

Cleveland Browns, A

Pittsburgh Steelers, C-

So you might want to find a slightly better topic to troll with.

Whether or not they pan out, no one knows... But on paper, it's hard to ask for too much more than the Browns did

LOL so bad.

I think that the Browns took 4 WRs in the draft.  Does that mean that most of their current WRs are worthless?  I felt that Hartline made a decent #3 or #4 WR ( in PPR leagues).  Is he pretty much history at this point?  How about Pryor-same for him?
It means we have more WRs to battler it out in camp rather than guarantee we have crap at that position.  

We drafted 10 other players also, something people seem to forget when they see we took 4 wrs.

But yeah, our WRs were horrible and the position badly needed an upgrade.  All our positions do.

If Bradford leaves the Eagles, do people still see an 8-8 team there?  If Bradford stays, plays, and stays healthy, I can see 8-8.  Otherwise their QBs are a giant mess for this year, and not like the rest of the roster is top notch either.
I think Daniel knowing the system and it being run oriented will allow him to keep them around the 7-9 mark.

I think this is the third consecutive head coach the Browns have done the exact same thing in his first year.  

2011:  they hired Surmur.  WR Julio Jones is on the board.  They decided to "build for the future", traded down, got Phil Taylor and lost a ton of games in 2011 kinda by design.  Then things went wrong in 2012 and the owner blew it up.

2014: they hired Pettine.  LB Khalil Mack is staring at them on the board as a HUGE blue chipper.  (He goes on to become the first player in NFL history to win all-pro at 2 positions in the same year).  They decided to "build for the future", traded down, and got CB Justin Gilbert and lost a ton of games in 2014 kinda by design.  Then things went wrong in 2015 and the owner blew it up.

2016: they hired Hue Jackson.  QB Carson Wentz is staring at them on the board ready to solve their eternal QB problem until 2030.  They decided to "build for the future", traded down, and got a WR (how often does a WR really make a difference in the NFL?) and are set up to lose a ton of games kinda by design.  The careers of everyone involve now hinge on wether or not things go horribly wrong in 2017.

I would not give them an A+ for making the exact same mistakes they've always been making.

We know Haslam has an itchy trigger finger.  He likes firing people.  Going into the job declaring you are going to lose a lot in year 1 is like asking to be fired because if anything goes wrong in 2017, Haslam will panic and dismiss people all over the place.

I would not give them an A+ for making the exact same mistakes they've always been making.
So in the last 6 years or so how often did NOT trading down help them?  Easy answer.  Zero times.  Remember Richardson?  Remember Mingo?

Every aspect of everything we have done has been trash for a long time.  The whole purpose of giving them an A+ rating for now is that they DID make an excellent trade, Wentz was NOT some top caliber QB prospect, they made two pretty nice value trade downs and ended up with their top WR who also happens to be a huge need (like every other position).

Let's put it this way.  This team HAS to trade down and acquire more picks to even have a chance at being good in the next 5 years.  It's really the only way, other than landing a top end QB, which Wentz is not IMO and clearly not in their opinion either.

regardless of how Coleman turns out, i think they did well. 

doubt Wentz works out.  

maybe Bosa will be a stud and we'll wish the Browns had taken him at #2?

Wentz is a stud.  He will save the Eagles franchise.

The NFL stands for Not For Long.  Its difficult to keep the faith of the owner as it is.  When your design is is be terrible in year 1 on purpose, that isn't smart because it exposes you to some bad luck in year 2 getting you fired.  Because at the end of year 2 or in year 3, people won't remember you tanked on purpose, they will just see the win loss record.

Users who are viewing this thread