What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bruce Irvin (1 Viewer)

mjb03003

Footballguy
I gotta say this up front - I play in a big-play scoring format, where sacks are 5 points and TFL are 2 points (solos are 1.50 and assists are 0.75). 

I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing any long term value/upside in Bruce Irvin in a format like this. 

He had a pretty mediocre first half of the season, failing to register more than 4 solos in any game, and putting up just 2.0 sacks through week 9. He did force 4 fumbles to pad his stats, but he was not anywhere close to reliable for a LB. Since the week 10 bye, however, Irvin has been borderline dominant. Here's his stat lines the last 5 weeks:

Week 11 vs. Houston: 9 solos, 1 assist, 2 TFL, 1 sack

Week 12 vs. Carolina: 3 solos, 1 assist, 1 TFL, 1 sack, 1 PD

Week 13 vs. Buffalo: 4 solos, 1 assist, 1 TFL, 1 sack

Week 14 @ KC: 3 solos

Week 15 @ SD: 5 solos, 1 assist, 2 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 FF

If you don't play in big-play scoring, you probably don't see the utility in starting a guy like this, but in big-play this has been elite production (think Von Miller or Justin Houston). I figure he's signed long term in Oakland, and defenses will likely continue to be pre-occupied with stopping Khalil Mack. Irvin has the pedigree (2012 first round pick by Seattle) and has always been a good pass rusher. He had 22 sacks in 4 seasons with Seattle despite being used as more of a situational pass rusher. With Oakland he leads all LBs in snaps this season, rarely leaving the field, and he's embracing his role as "Robin" to Mack's "Batman."

I'm thinking this could be a situation where a still relatively young player has found a home with a team and in a scheme that allows him to fully achieve his potential. 

I'll just add on to this that Irvin has been vocal that he wants to get to 10 sacks this season (would be his first season with double digit sacks). He needs 3 sacks in his final 2 games to get there. 

Indy and Denver remain on the schedule, and both have given up 40 sacks this season, tied for third most in the leauge. 

Irvin might be a sneaky good start in IDP leagues this week. 

Users who are viewing this thread