What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 IDP Weekly News (4 Viewers)

I just checked IDP Guru. This is what he posted (I subscribe).

With E.J. Speed inactive due to injury, it was Jaylon Carlies who took over at the LB2 spot next to Zaire Franklin. However, Carlies quickly suffered an injury of his own which knocked him out of the game. Grant Stuard took over for him and was an every down player.

LB Grant Stuard (IND) – If there’s one thing we know, it’s that both of the full-time linebacker positions for Indy have been very bountiful from a fantasy perspective. With E.J. Speed out last week, Jaylon Carlies started in his steed and quickly racked up 5 solos and a sack on just 20% of the snaps prior to leaving with an injury. Grant Stuard took his place and finished with a team-high/ridiculous 18 tackles (11 solo). Carlies was seen in a walking boot after the game, so he’s doubtful to suit up next week. So if Speed remains out as well, Stuard projects to be one of the best value plays at the position for Week 8.

So worth monitoring.

With E.J. Speed inactive due to injury, it was Jaylon Carlies who took over at the LB2 spot next to Zaire Franklin. However, Carlies quickly suffered an injury of his own which knocked him out of the game. Grant Stuard took over for him and was an every down player.

LB Grant Stuard (IND) – If there’s one thing we know, it’s that both of the full-time linebacker positions for Indy have been very bountiful from a fantasy perspective. With E.J. Speed out last week, Jaylon Carlies started in his steed and quickly racked up 5 solos and a sack on just 20% of the snaps prior to leaving with an injury. Grant Stuard took his place and finished with a team-high/ridiculous 18 tackles (11 solo). Carlies was seen in a walking boot after the game, so he’s doubtful to suit up next week. So if Speed remains out as well, Stuard projects to be one of the best value plays at the position for Week 8.

So worth monitoring.
Carlies is actually listed as a DB in MFL. Both him and Stuard are worth rostering in most formats, mainly because we know how insanely productive the Indy LBs can be. I think Speed is on his way back so both Stuard and Carlies will go back to backup roles, but I would add them in many dynasty formats.

Carlies is actually listed as a DB in MFL. Both him and Stuard are worth rostering in most formats, mainly because we know how insanely productive the Indy LBs can be. I think Speed is on his way back so both Stuard and Carlies will go back to backup roles, but I would add them in many dynasty formats.

He’s listed in MFL as an LB in our league. I play MFL, too, and I just checked. He’s listed in the FBG snap counts as a DB, but MFL has him as an LB.

But your larger point is taken. Speed does seem to be on his way back (he was listed as doubtful after practicing last week), but yeah, dig it.

Ernest Jones traded to Seattle for Jerome Baker (also picks involved but that is irrelevant to us IDP guys). Don't think it changes much for either guy. Although I am happy as I have Dodson and Baker so splitting them up seems like a good thing for my roster.

Ernest Jones traded to Seattle for Jerome Baker (also picks involved but that is irrelevant to us IDP guys). Don't think it changes much for either guy. Although I am happy as I have Dodson and Baker so splitting them up seems like a good thing for my roster.
Interesting trade. Does this hurt or help Ernest Jones fantasy value in the short term (redraft leagues)? Will it take him a while to get up to speed with Seattle, or can we start him in IDP leagues this week?

Interesting trade. Does this hurt or help Ernest Jones fantasy value in the short term (redraft leagues)? Will it take him a while to get up to speed with Seattle, or can we start him in IDP leagues this week?
I don't think it will affect him much. Might want to give him a game but he should be fine moving forward.

Man, I have teams with 8 full-time LBs where if we assume Baker and Jones aren't really playable this week, I can't scrape together 3 starters.

Man, I have teams with 8 full-time LBs where if we assume Baker and Jones aren't really playable this week, I can't scrape together 3 starters.
Welcome to FF 2024. Some weeks, it feels like all I do is weed through all of the "Q"s on my roster, trying to figure out which ones actually stand a chance to play. Most weeks, it's about 50/50, so by Sunday, I've got more than enough (or just enough) options. Of course, just when you feel it's safe to assume that's going to be the case, you have a random week where there's a couple of unexpected inactives and you can't field a full lineup. :wall:

Ditto. Not sure if it's good or bad, but Baker will miss his bye-week as a result.

Then again, knowing the Rams they will have Rozeboom wear the dot and bring Hummel in to play part time. At least Hummel is an upgrade over both Reeder and Roze imo of course.

Picked up Stuard in my leeg. I don’t have many FAAB left, and I just spent some on a story and a belief that at this level—if you’re physically able to do it and up to par in that sense at the LB position—it’s a lot about determination, soul, and heart. And the young man seems to have come back from a turbulent collegiate year or two to totally remake himself from the inside out. I have Sione Vaki eating up a different roster spot for a different reason, for goodness sake.

"There are worse things I could do,” goes the melancholy song that Rizzo sings in Grease. And so it is, and so there are.

The tipping point in cracking open the limited wallet (who am I kidding? I churn, baby . . .) was that the radio show that had him on the morning after the game had hosts who were joking around. One host said that his girlfriend knows very little about football and very little about the players, but she was wondering aloud who that awesome guy flying around the field was. “He’s good,” she said.

So yeah, I’m partially basing it off of that. Wish me luck. This is sort of how I wound up with Frankie Luvu (who is no longer a bona fide stud of an IDP linebacker like 2022 because Carolina and now Washington both had/have him rushing the passer), a guy who still became a darn fine linebacker in real life and is still useful in FF if you have a thin build and your LB3s aren’t world beaters. I happened to catch him flying around and tackling Saquon Barkley in the backfield a couple of times during a game against the Giants. I just thought that he was moving at a different speed, so forget draft pedigree, I was going to drop some big-time (for me) dollars on him. Worked like a charm that year.

Anyway, I digress. I also was reading criticism of Zaire Franklin and E.J. Speed and thought maybe he just earns more time. We shall see. Welcome to the magic football New York Jets, Grant Stuard. Happy to have you.

Anyway, I digress. I also was reading criticism of Zaire Franklin and E.J. Speed and thought maybe he just earns more time. We shall see. Welcome to the magic football New York Jets, Grant Stuard. Happy to have you.
My worry with Stuard is that the rookie Carlies was first man up and Stuard came on after he left with injury. Not to say Stuard didn't earn more PT but I would invest in Carlies first at this point.

My worry with Stuard is that the rookie Carlies was first man up and Stuard came on after he left with injury. Not to say Stuard didn't earn more PT but I would invest in Carlies first at this point.

Yep. I’m really shooting for the moon with it. Steichen was effusive in his praise of Stuart after the game. How much of that is because he was pressed into duty and how much is coachspeak we don’t know, but there was a Yahoo! article focused on just that. I’ll find it.

But you’re right. Hey, I researched this, you know? Nobody gonna outwork me :)

But Carlies would have been the more prudent investment.

eta* I did read last night that he was going to “miss some time.” Carlies, that is. Steichen said that. I don’t have the source in front of me.

Last edited:
There's clearly something amiss with Ernest Jones.
It would seem that way but I think he is finally where he belongs.

The titans wound up giving a 5th round pick away to the Rams and getting a 4th round pick and Jerome Baker from the Seahawks. Not too shabby. The way I see it, they now have a pretty good replacement for Jones in Baker. They also have Gibbens who can play if/when called on and a rookie in Cedric Gray getting ready to come off IR.

Mike Macdonald seemed very excited to get Jones. They are going to put him at mike and move Dodson to the weak-side where Baker was playing. My guess is they will sign Jones to a nice contract and he will remain there as their signal caller for years.

Is it finally Omar Speights time in LA?? Troy Reeder out tomorrow night. Man I hope so....
Speights started but played part time and didn't really stand out unfortunately. The good news for him is that no other linebacker looked better than him from what I saw. He was pulled on passing downs. I don't think he even saw the field much in the fourth quarter. They used Hummel on passing downs and he didn't seem to do much either. (I watched most of the game)

Last edited:

So worth monitoring.
Speed and Stuard are free agents after the season, Carlies is a rookie under contract through 2027 that was already getting some run and got the first call when Speed went down. I'm not disputing your overall point, but Carlies is the priority.

Users who are viewing this thread