What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BTTF 2018: MLB123746 (5 Viewers)

Also, looking for a co-owner in the Serious Biz dynasty baseball league for those who aren't already in that. I'll front the league entry fee for at the least the first year but would split any winnings. Shoot me a PM if interested. 

What are we doing with that weirdo japanese guy?
Oh good question, never thought about that.  We could either say if you draft him you get both his hitter and pitcher players that eventually come out (assuming WIS separates them), or we could draft him as a hitter and pitcher separately.  I'd vote for option 1; he's like a super player.

Oh good question, never thought about that.  We could either say if you draft him you get both his hitter and pitcher players that eventually come out (assuming WIS separates them), or we could draft him as a hitter and pitcher separately.  I'd vote for option 1; he's like a super player.
I don’t know if it’s posdible to play someone as both a hitter and a pitcher in WIS. We knight gave to specify that whoever drafts him only gets him as a hitter or a pitcher. However, because we don’t play until after the season, you could wait and see how he performs and decide which you prefer. 

I do know that I am not a fan of having two instances of a player iat all. 

I don’t know if it’s posdible to play someone as both a hitter and a pitcher in WIS. We knight gave to specify that whoever drafts him only gets him as a hitter or a pitcher. However, because we don’t play until after the season, you could wait and see how he performs and decide which you prefer. 

I do know that I am not a fan of having two instances of a player iat all. 
Why shouldn’t you be able to use him as both a hitter and a pitcher though? The Angels are.

Why shouldn’t you be able to use him as both a hitter and a pitcher though? The Angels are.
I don’t think the sim is built for it. You can’t pitch position players, even if you just want to save innings, and you can’t pinch hit with pitchers. 

I have no problem with allowing it if the sim is built for it, I just don’t think it is. 

I don’t think the sim is built for it. You can’t pitch position players, even if you just want to save innings, and you can’t pinch hit with pitchers. 

I have no problem with allowing it if the sim is built for it, I just don’t think it is. 
Yeah, I’m assuming WIS will have him as 2 separate players, a hitter and a pitcher. And I think if you draft him you should get both.

Well then <_<

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls for

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 195
Roll subtotal: 195
Roll total: 195

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I’m assuming WIS will have him as 2 separate players, a hitter and a pitcher. And I think if you draft him you should get both.
I suspect this is a wrong assumption. WIS is likely to pick one, and you can only use him for that. Look at Babe Ruth 1918.

So, go Ohtani at your peril. My best guess is he'll be a P, but we may not know when we draft.

All pitchers are "graded" by the same metrics - I'd recommend you go to wis.com and sign up for one of their free leagues and you'll at least get some idea of what to expect and you can see the stats they use - but it's basically the raw stats that are most imp.

The way the sim works, as I understand it, is:

A pitch is made, and is judged by the stats of the pitcher vs. those of the batter:

1. Is it a ball or strike?

2. Does the player swing?

3. If no, see #1

4. If yes, do they make contact.

5. If they make contact, where does it go (groundball/fly, and to which position, or is it a HR)

6. That then ties into the defensive metric of where it's hit.
You can read this super nerdy explanation of how the sim works if you're so inclined. Even I don't understand most of it.

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=457843&TopicsTimeframe=365

When drafting players, think Sabremetrics, slash numbers and NOT counting stats for hitters. (Except plate appearances, you need enough PA’s for a full season at each position.)

When it comes to pitching, starting pitching is more important than anything else in this game. (At least making sure you have enough quality innings to fill out a rotation) As for what to focus on, things this WHIP, .OAV, BB/9, K/9 and a low HR/9 rate are important. 
The sim doesn't care about runs and RBIs at all. Doesn't care about saves either. So, not to spotlight before we draft, but you're likely to see Andrew Miller as a top 10 reliever.

Strikeouts are somewhat meaningful (they help if your D is bad, but don't prevent hits). Similarly, hitter Ks don't matter that much. Stolen bases are much more useful if you have a good success rate.

Draft where guys will play in 2018, not where they're eligible in fantasy. (Dee Gordon probably won't help you at 2B in this format)

I suspect this is a wrong assumption. WIS is likely to pick one, and you can only use him for that. Look at Babe Ruth 1918.

So, go Ohtani at your peril. My best guess is he'll be a P, but we may not know when we draft.
Even more fun, can’t wait to see where he’s drafted.

I think if you should have to draft him as two separate players (pitcher and hitter), if WIS does in fact have him as 2 separate players.

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 189
Roll subtotal: 189
Roll total: 189

Can't decide if I am happy or sad.

Users who are viewing this thread