What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Butter on toast always? (1 Viewer)

Do you butter your toast when also putting things like jelly/honey on it?

• Yes

Votes: 51 50.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 49.5%

• Total voters

jomar

Footballguy
A couple days ago I'm making my 8 yo toast with honey.  I start to butter the toast before the honey and he starts telling me that it shouldn't have butter, just honey.  I say no, no, you want butter, you mom puts butter on it when you eat it.  He says nuh-uh and brings my wife into the room to verify.  Sure enough, my wife was horrified that someone would butter toast before putting on honey or jelly.  I told her everyone does it but her apparently.  She told me to ask my internet friends, so here I am.  She says butter on toast is fine, but not if you're putting on another spread.  Something about the two mixing together.  I tried to explain that the butter melts and soaks into the toast so there is no mixing but she still wasn't convinced.

I've never heard or seen this before in my life.  who doesn't always butter toast?  I pointed out that restaurants always bring buttered toast and there's jelly on the table to put on it, so butter must be the way to go.  She says no, you can order it dry.  Again, I've never seen nor heard of this in my almost 50 years on this planet.  What do you say?

there may be a dot or two riding on these poll results

Voted yes because that's what I do a majority of the time when I'm using jelly or honey - but again, it's not a black or white situation, IMO.

Butter and honey are awesome together.  I can go either buttered or not with jelly, I don't know that I have much of a preference.  I will also do cream cheese with jelly on toast.

Get a big pat of softened butter and then pour a bunch of honey over it.  Mix it all together and spread it on your toast, you won't be sorry.  It's even better on a biscuit.

Also butter a toasted bagel before putting cream cheese on it, unless I'm too lazy and then I skip the butter.

I’ll eat it either way but prefer one or the other.

I almost always butter the thin side of a bagel and use cream cheese on the thicker piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think it's up to the user, but outrageous if either has to be the absolute standard. Very much an either/or thing. 

So if putting something like avocado on the toast, you'd butter it first? Interesting.

Would never occur to me but don't hate the move. If I didn't know it was on there I'd just think I was eating an extra delicious version.

I pointed out that restaurants always bring buttered toast and there's jelly on the table to put on it, so butter must be the way to go.  She says no, you can order it dry. 
Yeah I don't think this example flies.  Some folks like toast with butter only, so they're covering this portion of the population without having to put butter on the table along with the jellies.

I don't do a lot of toast.  In fact I can't remember the last time I had it.  Maybe at a restaurant, where it's pre-buttered.  And I probably ate it sans jelly anyways.

So yeah, I dunno.

I like buttered toast, but if I'm putting jelly on it I don't see the need for the additional calories butter adds given the jelly is going to overpower the taste of the butter anyway. 

I don`t eat toast much but when I do it I prefer it with butter and honey. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of doing it your way. I'm not saying it'd be bad (I might try it), but it seems excessive to butter in addition to using other spreads.

So if putting something like avocado on the toast, you'd butter it first? Interesting.

Would never occur to me but don't hate the move. If I didn't know it was on there I'd just think I was eating an extra delicious version.
I usually drizzle some olive oil on my toast before putting the avocado on, so butter isn't that different.

these results are stunning to me.  the wife put the same question on FB and easily 90% of the responses are pro-butter at all times.  what is wrong with you people?  its like I never knew you

No with one exception.  I don't really eat peanut butter on toast anymore but when I did (years and years ago) I accidentally discovered that a very thin layer of butter and then the peanut butter layer made it taste much better.  I remember trying this with other things (jelly, jam, nutella, honey, etc.) and I just didn't like it but I always thought it worked with peanut butter.

Butter always. Not really a jelly and toast fan, but definitely with peanut butter! My in-laws never put peanut butter on toast with or without butter and it saddens me. 

Voted Yes.

I like buttered toast a lot.  If putting jelly on (don't put it on all that often), then butter is already on it.  I'm not really a fan of honey on toast.  Biscuit or cornbread, yes. Toast, no.

Sullie said:
No with one exception.  I don't really eat peanut butter on toast anymore but when I did (years and years ago) I accidentally discovered that a very thin layer of butter and then the peanut butter layer made it taste much better.  I remember trying this with other things (jelly, jam, nutella, honey, etc.) and I just didn't like it but I always thought it worked with peanut butter.
This exact method was my breakfast every morning growing up - along with a nice tall, cold glass of chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Triple butter?  Butter, peanut butter, & apple butter. If my toast has two other toppings I will skip the butter base. 

jomar said:
these results are stunning to me.  the wife put the same question on FB and easily 90% of the responses are pro-butter at all times.  what is wrong with you people?  its like I never knew you
I'd rather eat butter than toast, if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread