What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buy low on Travis Henry? (1 Viewer)

What are Henry's chances of actually suppressing the urine sample and thus dodging a suspension? These next few days could be incredible opportunity to buy Henry at a ridiculously low price if owners are convinced he is on his way out...

What are Henry's chances of actually suppressing the urine sample and thus dodging a suspension? These next few days could be incredible opportunity to buy Henry at a ridiculously low price if owners are convinced he is on his way out...
Uh, he's not going to take on the NFL and win.He'll get slapped down, one way or another.He's a great buy low, just like Vick. However long the NFL wants to suspend him, he'll get suspended.

The odds are stacked against him. I say maybe send an offer with your least valuable player on your roster...

And really your highest expectations should be that maybe the case drags into next week and he's healthy enough to play Sunday.

Players rarely win these cases and Henry is suing to change the collective bargaining agreement so that he can have his own personal expert test his sample...

That's a TALL ORDER considering the rules in the CBA were agreed on by the owners and the union.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you're going to buy, it had better be low. I say don't buy at all.

Has anyone's stock risen higher than Selvin Young's in the past four days?

Was offered Henry for Brian Leonard and a 1st round rookie pick (late 1st round)...needless to say i'm probably passing.

Agreed. Your post in the 'Fight, Travis' thread was genius. The wife asked me what I was laughing about and, well, i could not explain. Well done.

Beyond the lawsuit Henry also has an appeal coming to him. It may actually be a few weeks before he is actually suspended. Although the old standard on how long it takes for an appeals hearing seems to have shifted with the new regime in the head office.

First time I've laughed out loud at anything in the Pool in a long time! :goodposting:
Not even my best work. My best line of the night was in the deleted "Fight, Travis" thread.
Care to repost it?
the line of the night that I read was upon sending the link with henry's picture to a friend, i received a reply asking if he could leave his vehicle in henrys 2 car garage. Took about 5 minutes to get it. then i hit the floor laughing

Beyond the lawsuit Henry also has an appeal coming to him. It may actually be a few weeks before he is actually suspended. Although the old standard on how long it takes for an appeals hearing seems to have shifted with the new regime in the head office.
And this is the part that is killing me. If he's going to get suspended I wish it would be immediate. I can still pickup Young in one of the leagues I am in but due to limited roster space the only guy I can drop for Young is Henry. Obviously I don't want to do that premature...

Julius Peppers and Shawne Merriman both tried and failed to appeal their suspension for drugs. There'll probably be some time wasting process but Henry will be gone just like the rest.

I doubt he can beat the NFL's drug use policy, but he's going to try we see that.If he loses the case!He will be out 1 year from the violation date plus 60 day wait (NFL policy rule). Be back around week 12-14 of the 2008 season, not worth it.

Can't see how you'll really be able to Buy Low on Henry since most of his owners have Selvin Young too. If they're trading one, they're trading both in most cases.

Translation - you'll still be trading for Denver RB and that's not cheap.

hellz_fireflies said:
Donny Loved Bowling said:
I doubt he can beat the NFL's drug use policy, but he's going to try we see that.If he loses the case!He will be out 1 year from the violation date plus 60 day wait (NFL policy rule). Be back around week 12-14 of the 2008 season, not worth it.
This is not true. Suspended players MUST apply for reinstatement, but that can be done up to 60 days BEFORE the end of their suspension. So if Henry's appeal is denied quickly (say by week 6), he should be eligible to return week 6 of the 2008 season.

Chaka said:
So you can keep him on your roster through this week, where he is a game-time decision due to injury, and his bye week before he is gone for the season? I don't see him having a lot of value before the appeal is decided. I'd also guess that Shanahan is pissed off at him and will probably deactive him anyway.

Shiggy Shaol said:
Can't see how you'll really be able to Buy Low on Henry since most of his owners have Selvin Young too. If they're trading one, they're trading both in most cases.Translation - you'll still be trading for Denver RB and that's not cheap.
I respectfully disagree with all your suppositions here.I wouldn't know how to check, but in my two leagues, neither Henry owner owns Selvin Young. Roster restrictions, league format, roster composition, owner philosophy and waiver process can make it no more likely that Selvin Young will end up on any one owners roster than another, regardless of who owns Henry.Also, I disagree that a package of Henry/Young will necessarily be the Denver RB. I've watched Shanahan pull shenanigans with his RBs for too many years to think that I know what he'll do and Young has not shown to be anything more than a change of pace back as of yet.

Shiggy Shaol said:
Can't see how you'll really be able to Buy Low on Henry since most of his owners have Selvin Young too. If they're trading one, they're trading both in most cases.Translation - you'll still be trading for Denver RB and that's not cheap.
I respectfully disagree with all your suppositions here.I wouldn't know how to check, but in my two leagues, neither Henry owner owns Selvin Young. Roster restrictions, league format, roster composition, owner philosophy and waiver process can make it no more likely that Selvin Young will end up on any one owners roster than another, regardless of who owns Henry.Also, I disagree that a package of Henry/Young will necessarily be the Denver RB. I've watched Shanahan pull shenanigans with his RBs for too many years to think that I know what he'll do and Young has not shown to be anything more than a change of pace back as of yet.
Hey, I hear what you're saying about the "shenanigans" and that's exactly why I picked up Sapp in one of my leagues and Mike Bell in another. I'm trying to cover all the bases here, just in case. But I would be surprised to hear that Selvin Young was on the wire in a 12 team league or more. In a 10 team league or less, I certainly can see that.

OK so here is how I see it so far.

Henry's A sample tested positive.

We don't know how his B sample tested or if it was tested but we have to assume that it was tested positive.

Henry is appealing the fact that the league didn't follow their own rules on the B sample by allowing the player to have their own expert present at the testing.

Questions:

If Henry's appeal is valid, will they test the B sample again with Henry's expert present?

Do they still have enough of the B sample to test?

If the NFL has to throw out the first results of the B sample and can't test the B sample again (because they don't have enough or any) then it would appear that Henry would have dodged the test and gotten past the one year limit that ended on Oct. 1.

Did I miss anything?

Henry is appealing the fact that the league didn't follow their own rules on the B sample by allowing the player to have their own expert present at the testing.
Link
The issue being challenged by Henry is that the NFL would not allow his expert to observe the testing of the "B-sample." Although the collective bargaining agreement permits a player to have an expert present for the testing, Aiello said that expert cannot be affiliated with any laboratory. The expert presented by Henry did have such an affiliation.

The league provided Henry with the names of 10 independent experts as reference for his potential use.

OK so here is how I see it so far. Henry's A sample tested positive.We don't know how his B sample tested or if it was tested but we have to assume that it was tested positive.Henry is appealing the fact that the league didn't follow their own rules on the B sample by allowing the player to have their own expert present at the testing.Questions:If Henry's appeal is valid, will they test the B sample again with Henry's expert present? Do they still have enough of the B sample to test?If the NFL has to throw out the first results of the B sample and can't test the B sample again (because they don't have enough or any) then it would appear that Henry would have dodged the test and gotten past the one year limit that ended on Oct. 1. Did I miss anything?
Yeah, the NFL did follow the rules as noted in the post above - Henry was allowed to have an expert present, but the expert couldn't be affiliated with a laboratory. Henry's was. The league gave him a list of names but Henry hasn't used them. Far as I can see the league did everything by the book.

Chaka said:
So you can keep him on your roster through this week, where he is a game-time decision due to injury, and his bye week before he is gone for the season? I don't see him having a lot of value before the appeal is decided. I'd also guess that Shanahan is pissed off at him and will probably deactive him anyway.
There is no reason to think Shanny will deactivate Henry for anything other than injury.From today's Denver post:

Injury update: Running back Travis Henry (knee and ankle) participated in the morning walkthrough Thursday, but didn't practice in the afternoon. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said he hoped Henry would practice today.
LinkI think it is more like that Shanny runs Henry until he breaks in two. Might as well get everything out of the guy before he is suspended. They are likely the last carries of Henry's Broncos tenure.

OK so here is how I see it so far.

Henry's A sample tested positive.

We don't know how his B sample tested or if it was tested but we have to assume that it was tested positive.

Questions:

If Henry's appeal is valid, will they test the B sample again with Henry's expert present?

Do they still have enough of the B sample to test?

If the NFL has to throw out the first results of the B sample and can't test the B sample again (because they don't have enough or any) then it would appear that Henry would have dodged the test and gotten past the one year limit that ended on Oct. 1.

Did I miss anything?
Yeah, the NFL did follow the rules as noted in the post above - Henry was allowed to have an expert present, but the expert couldn't be affiliated with a laboratory. Henry's was. The league gave him a list of names but Henry hasn't used them. Far as I can see the league did everything by the book.
This says different:http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=103209

Source says technicality could void test

Last Edited: Friday, 05 Oct 2007, 10:19 AM MDT

Created: Friday, 05 Oct 2007, 10:19 AM MDT

NFL Source: Broncos' Travis Henry Fails Drug Test

Josina Anderson

Fox 31 Sports Insider

DENVER -- An NFL source says Denver Broncos running back Travis Henry might have grounds to challenge the way the NFL handled his drug test. The source has said that Henry tested positive for marijuana.

From Fox 31 Sports Insider Josina Anderson's Blog - October 5, 2007

The N.F.L source who broke the news to Fox 31’s Josina Anderson that starting Bronco running back Travis Henry tested positive for marijuana, and is subject to a one year suspension now...had this to say in a short interview this morning:

Source: “Initially when Henry found out he tested positive for marijuana, and the league was trying to confirm the result with the testing of the B bottle, Henry had his own toxicologist set to witness the testing.” “The problem is Josina, Henry’s toxicologist had an affiliation with another lab, and the league doesn’t like that.” Henry’s toxicologist had a proprietary interest in the lab the league was testing his b sample in.” “That’s when Henry’s people tried to get the restraining order [september 20th] to block the league from moving forward when his original toxicologist was rejected.” “Now although the Suffolk Court [suffolk County Supreme Court] granted Henry a restraining order against the league until a future hearing, to my knowledge the league went ahead and tested the B sample anyways even though another court ended up ruling in their favor.” “But Josina, Henry may get out of this because it is his collective bargaining agreement right to have his on toxicologist present, and now Henry can challenge that his sample was compromised.”

Josina: Since it’s not about what you know, it’s about what you can prove, how can Henry prove that the League tested his B sample without his toxicologist present?

Source: “Henry can say well who was my Toxicologist then…name him…show me a check that I used to pay my Toxicologist!”

Josina: So what’s going to happen here?

Source: “Well if your report didn’t come out, it’s possible the League knowing it has issues with the testing of the sample may have tried to bargain down with Henry and offer a 4 game or a 6 game suspension or something like that who knows!” “But, this could now be an all [1 year suspension] or nothing case with this technicality.” “But if the league can find a way to enforce this they will.” “It’s bad P.R. to let a player continue to play under these circumstances.”

Josina: Do you think the Commissioner [N.F.L Commissioner Roger Goodell] will find a way to circumvent this technicality?”

Source: “He shouldn’t the rules are pretty black and white on this.”

Reporter note: It is being reported now by a national website that Henry was scheduled to rotate out of the N.F.L’s program October 1st under their two year policy. In actuality it is possible for a player that’s in stage 3 of the program [that Henry moved into after his previous 4 game suspension in September of 2005 as a Tennessee Titan] to stay there for the life of their career. So it’s not always a guarantee that a player will or would have rotated out. There are subjective decisions that are made on the cases of players in the league program situation by situation that factor in as well.

If the NFL tested the sample, prior to the restraining order being lifted, they did not follow the rules. This is Henry's only hope IMO. It doesn't seem like having his rep there will matter, because his rep was no good and I guees he didn't select one from the list the NFL provided.

All I can say is for lack of a better term, Henry is truly a dumb Mother ****er.

Seriously I don't undertstand it. Pot is something that you can stop doing without much problem. It is not like cocaine or alcohol which you become chemicaly addicted to.

You sign a 20MM dollar contract and get the chance to really take your game to the highest level in the Denver scheme knowing full wel one more strike and your out. Bonehead.

Don't let this idiot back in the league. Because he is truly a moron and obviously is a street rat. Time to clean up the game of these so called professional players who have a hoodrat mentality and think they are above the rules. Goodall is a no nonsense guy.

Buy low? He will not be playing in the league anymore.

Here are the facts recently posted to the main thread:

(1) He is allowed to bring an expert, so long as the expert is not biased (i.e. employed by a competing lab);

(2) Henry brought a lab expert who works for a competing lab;

(3) That expert was refused, and the NFL suggested 10 independent toxicologists he could use, and he chose not to;

(4) The NFL conducted the B sample without involvement of an independent toxicologist witnessing.

If these facts are true, I don't see how he has a leg to stand on. If the requirement for an impartial toxicology witness is right in the CBA, it's been agreed upon by the NFLPA (which spoke for Henry). A player can't stall/frustrate the B sample evaluation simply by sitting on his right to an independent witness. I recognize it is not a clean analogy to compare a labor disute (based on a contractual agreement) to criminal law, but the underlying issues are similar: If I was accused of a crime, I could not stall the state's interest in timely prosecution of me by sitting on my right to be represented by counsel, when I don't appoint a qualifying attorney and insist on choosing an attorney the court has deemed to be conflicted. They'd simply appoint one for me and keep the thing moving along. The NFL created good facts by offering Henry 10 experts he could choose from. There's no info on how long they allowed him, that too could matter. I'll take the NFL's position myself, based on the above.

Here are the facts recently posted to the main thread:(1) He is allowed to bring an expert, so long as the expert is not biased (i.e. employed by a competing lab);(2) Henry brought a lab expert who works for a competing lab;(3) That expert was refused, and the NFL suggested 10 independent toxicologists he could use, and he chose not to;(4) The NFL conducted the B sample without involvement of an independent toxicologist witnessing.If these facts are true, I don't see how he has a leg to stand on. If the requirement for an impartial toxicology witness is right in the CBA, it's been agreed upon by the NFLPA (which spoke for Henry). A player can't stall/frustrate the B sample evaluation simply by sitting on his right to an independent witness. I recognize it is not a clean analogy to compare a labor disute (based on a contractual agreement) to criminal law, but the underlying issues are similar: If I was accused of a crime, I could not stall the state's interest in timely prosecution of me by sitting on my right to be represented by counsel, when I don't appoint a qualifying attorney and insist on choosing an attorney the court has deemed to be conflicted. They'd simply appoint one for me and keep the thing moving along. The NFL created good facts by offering Henry 10 experts he could choose from. There's no info on how long they allowed him, that too could matter. I'll take the NFL's position myself, based on the above.
Would this as I posted above, if fact, matter at all in your opinion?Now although the Suffolk Court [suffolk County Supreme Court] granted Henry a restraining order against the league until a future hearing, to my knowledge the league went ahead and tested the B sample anyways.

I posted this question initially after getting a trade offer from the Henry owner in my league. He apparently sent out multiple offers across the league, hoping to catch someone who hadn't heard the news. (He also owns Young.) Each offer was for a much lesser player, so he was just being shady, looking to trade nothing for something. I was thinking about what a terrifically karmic slap in the face it would be if I made the deal, only to have Henry beat the charge somehow. I wouldn't take such a gamble unless there was some insight available that presented Henry with a decent chance to win here.

All I can say is for lack of a better term, Henry is truly a dumb Mother ****er.

Seriously I don't undertstand it. Pot is something that you can stop doing without much problem. It is not like cocaine or alcohol which you become chemicaly addicted to.

You sign a 20MM dollar contract and get the chance to really take your game to the highest level in the Denver scheme knowing full wel one more strike and your out. Bonehead.

Don't let this idiot back in the league. Because he is truly a moron and obviously is a street rat. Time to clean up the game of these so called professional players who have a hoodrat mentality and think they are above the rules. Goodall is a no nonsense guy.

That may be unless the addiction is not merely a physical one. People get hooked on thigns that are not physically addicting to the point of injury to themselves and others - video games, gambling and fantasy football just to name a few.Not saying that given he was one strike short of a time out he wasn't foolish if he indeed fired up a blunt.

But there are more types of addictions than chemical. (although you could argue the impulse of the brain where it NEEDs something is chemical, but I digress).

/tangent - back to football.

Henry is now (potentially) another in a long line of preseason top 10 RBs that are biffing it right now. Been a rough season for the first round.

That may be unless the addiction is not merely a physical one. People get hooked on thigns that are not physically addicting to the point of injury to themselves and others - video games, gambling and fantasy football just to name a few.Not saying that given he was one strike short of a time out he wasn't foolish if he indeed fired up a blunt.

But there are more types of addictions than chemical. (although you could argue the impulse of the brain where it NEEDs something is chemical, but I digress).

/tangent - back to football.

Henry is now (potentially) another in a long line of preseason top 10 RBs that are biffing it right now. Been a rough season for the first round.
Yeah...you present obvious good points.He is weak in the mind. That about sums it up when it comes to a mental addiction.

That well may be a 12 Million dollar blunt. Because Denver will go after the bonus money if they had a drug clause in his contract. I am no legal contract law expert but I would have to believe the Broncos CYA'd themselves on a potential 3rd strike player. Maybe if Henry would have asked himself is this blunt worth 12MM he would have just put it down and said "hey after I retire I can smoke as much as I want and just be".

Fool.

(1) He is allowed to bring an expert, so long as the expert is not biased (i.e. employed by a competing lab);

(3) That expert was refused, and the NFL suggested 10 independent toxicologists he could use, and he chose not to;

(4) The NFL conducted the B sample without involvement of an independent toxicologist witnessing.

If these facts are true, I don't see how he has a leg to stand on. If the requirement for an impartial toxicology witness is right in the CBA, it's been agreed upon by the NFLPA (which spoke for Henry). A player can't stall/frustrate the B sample evaluation simply by sitting on his right to an independent witness. I recognize it is not a clean analogy to compare a labor disute (based on a contractual agreement) to criminal law, but the underlying issues are similar: If I was accused of a crime, I could not stall the state's interest in timely prosecution of me by sitting on my right to be represented by counsel, when I don't appoint a qualifying attorney and insist on choosing an attorney the court has deemed to be conflicted. They'd simply appoint one for me and keep the thing moving along. The NFL created good facts by offering Henry 10 experts he could choose from. There's no info on how long they allowed him, that too could matter. I'll take the NFL's position myself, based on the above.
I think I remember reading somewhere that Henry DID succeed in getting a court order saying the NFL COULD NOT test the B sample. They went ahead and did so anyway, and then later got an appeals court to overide the first courts decision. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but even though the first court's decision was overturned, it would seem that the NFL violated that ruling anyway, IF they tested the B sample BEFORE the decision was overturned. It would seem that this would be a problem, legally, for the NFL.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Henry DID succeed in getting a court order saying the NFL COULD NOT test the B sample. They went ahead and did so anyway, and then later got an appeals court to overide the first courts decision.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but even though the first court's decision was overturned, it would seem that the NFL violated that ruling anyway, IF they tested the B sample BEFORE the decision was overturned. It would seem that this would be a problem, legally, for the NFL.
IF this is true, then Henry could temporarily wiggle out of the suspension.This is like the stories we hear of evidence obtained illegally being thrown out of court.

I imagine the NFL would then immediately test Henry again, and that's where he might fail again.

I still think it's unlikely he beats this, but it's not a slam dunk until we see how the timing is on the restraining order/override vs. the sample collection -- or at least how the court interprets it.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Henry DID succeed in getting a court order saying the NFL COULD NOT test the B sample. They went ahead and did so anyway, and then later got an appeals court to overide the first courts decision. Now, I'm not a lawyer, but even though the first court's decision was overturned, it would seem that the NFL violated that ruling anyway, IF they tested the B sample BEFORE the decision was overturned. It would seem that this would be a problem, legally, for the NFL.
Are we sure that 3 happened after 2? Because if it's reversed I can see him having a case. Let's say they gave him a sample list of 10 approved experts (assuming that the list is not all inclusive), he decides on someone not on the list (whether he knew they weren't eligible or not is a different question) they say no they can't be your expert, please pee in the cup now. I think it comes down to timing, when was he told his expert was ineligible, and was he given time to find another?

Would this as I posted above, if fact, matter at all in your opinion?Now although the Suffolk Court [suffolk County Supreme Court] granted Henry a restraining order against the league until a future hearing, to my knowledge the league went ahead and tested the B sample anyways.
Ok, first the caveat: I'm just a banking attorney and this is obviously a tricky area of law. With that out of the way, As I understand, Henry initially filed for and was granted a temporary restraining order. In most jurisdictions, what a court would have looked at in deciding whether or not to grant a TRO is: (1) Henry's likelihood of success on the merits; (2) irreparable harm to Henry if the TRO was not granted; (3) that less harm will result to the defendant if the TRO issues than to the plaintiffs if the TRO does not issue; and (4) that the public interest, if any, weighs in favor of Henry. Based on those elements, the initial court granted Henry a TRO.We do know that the NFL appealed the TRO, which they are allowed to do, and the appellate court vacated the lower court decision. It's a very high standard on appeal, but in all likelihood the appellate judge determined the lower court had abused its discretion as there was a clear failure of element #1: Not only was Henry not likely to win his underlying claim, it was arguably impossible for him to do so at any venue other than that stated in the CBA for CBA interpretation. Apparently, Henry was in the wrong court to make his arguments, as they required interpretation of the CBA, and this court was not authorized to interpret so Henry was not going to win his suit in that court. Now, timing may or may not matter here. I have a hard time believing the NFL would defy a court order rather than awaiting an appeal unless there is some valid reason. To me it makes far more sense that the NFL proceeded after getting the TRO vacated than before. However, on the possibility that the NFL violated a valid temporary restraining order, and its impact on a drug test, I don't know the answer to that. It could be a violation of the CBA under which Henry can get damages, but not the relief he's looking for (i.e. disregard of the test itself merely on that basis alone, if ultimately the court decides he was given every opportunity to get an independent lab witness). Typically, violating a TRO would subject a party to repercussions, depending on the violation. For example, if I leave a company and the company gets a TRO to stop me from stealing its clients and taking them with me, and I continue to defy the order and steal its clients, I'll probably be ordered to pay monetarily damages for that violation. In addition, there would be a strong possibility of legal penalty (i.e. being found in contempt of court). This is primarily why I find it unlikely the NFL defied a TRO. However, I have no knowledge of any theory of law that would say "because you violated a TRO, your findings as to a drug test are invalidated"- particularly when the TRO was vacated. Ok, lawyers who actually do this subject matter for a living may now call me stupid.

Ok, first the caveat: I'm just a banking attorney and this is obviously a tricky area of law. With that out of the way, As I understand, Henry initially filed for and was granted a temporary restraining order. In most jurisdictions, what a court would have looked at in deciding whether or not to grant a TRO is: (1) Henry's likelihood of success on the merits; (2) irreparable harm to Henry if the TRO was not granted; (3) that less harm will result to the defendant if the TRO issues than to the plaintiffs if the TRO does not issue; and (4) that the public interest, if any, weighs in favor of Henry.We do know that the NFL appealed the TRO, which they are allowed to do, and the appellate court vacated the lower court decision. It's a very high standard on appeal, but in all likelihood the appellate judge determined the lower court had abused its discretion as there was a clear failure of element #1: Not only was Henry not likely to win his underlying claim, it was arguably impossible for him to do so at any venue other than it's stated venue for CBA interpretation. Apparently, Henry was in the wrong court to make his argument, as this court was not authorized to interpret underlying labor agreement, and so Henry was not going to win his suit in that court. Now, timing may or may not matter here. I have a hard time believing the NFL would defy a court order rather than awaiting an appeal unless there is some valid reason. To me it makes far more sense that the NFL proceeded after getting the TRO vacated than before. However, on the possibility that the NFL violated a valid temporary restraining order, and its impact on a drug test, I don't know the answer to that. It could be a violation of the CBA under which Henry can get damages, but not the relief he's looking for (i.e. disregard of the test itself merely on that basis alone, if ultimately the court decides he was given every opportunity to get an independent lab witness). Typically, violating a TRO would subject a party to repercussions, depending on the violation. For example, if I leave a company and the company gets a TRO to stop me from stealing its clients and taking them with me, and I continue to defy the order and steal its clients, I'll probably be ordered to pay monetarily damages for that violation. In addition, there would be a strong possibility of legal penalty (i.e. being found in contempt of court). This is primarily why I find it unlikely the NFL defied a TRO. However, I have no knowledge of any theory of law that would say "because you violated a TRO, your findings as to a drug test are invalidated"- particularly when the TRO was vacated. Ok, lawyers who actually do this subject matter for a living may now call me stupid.
As a Henry owner, not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the input. From what I read, this seemed like his only real chance, if it in fact was a chance. Doesn't look good at all.

Ok, first the caveat: I'm just a banking attorney and this is obviously a tricky area of law. With that out of the way, As I understand, Henry initially filed for and was granted a temporary restraining order. In most jurisdictions, what a court would have looked at in deciding whether or not to grant a TRO is: (1) Henry's likelihood of success on the merits; (2) irreparable harm to Henry if the TRO was not granted; (3) that less harm will result to the defendant if the TRO issues than to the plaintiffs if the TRO does not issue; and (4) that the public interest, if any, weighs in favor of Henry. Based on those elements, the initial court granted Henry a TRO.We do know that the NFL appealed the TRO, which they are allowed to do, and the appellate court vacated the lower court decision. It's a very high standard on appeal, but in all likelihood the appellate judge determined the lower court had abused its discretion as there was a clear failure of element #1: Not only was Henry not likely to win his underlying claim, it was arguably impossible for him to do so at any venue other than that stated in the CBA for CBA interpretation. Apparently, Henry was in the wrong court to make his arguments, as they required interpretation of the CBA, and this court was not authorized to interpret so Henry was not going to win his suit in that court. Now, timing may or may not matter here. I have a hard time believing the NFL would defy a court order rather than awaiting an appeal unless there is some valid reason. To me it makes far more sense that the NFL proceeded after getting the TRO vacated than before. However, on the possibility that the NFL violated a valid temporary restraining order, and its impact on a drug test, I don't know the answer to that. It could be a violation of the CBA under which Henry can get damages, but not the relief he's looking for (i.e. disregard of the test itself merely on that basis alone, if ultimately the court decides he was given every opportunity to get an independent lab witness). Typically, violating a TRO would subject a party to repercussions, depending on the violation. For example, if I leave a company and the company gets a TRO to stop me from stealing its clients and taking them with me, and I continue to defy the order and steal its clients, I'll probably be ordered to pay monetarily damages for that violation. In addition, there would be a strong possibility of legal penalty (i.e. being found in contempt of court). This is primarily why I find it unlikely the NFL defied a TRO. However, I have no knowledge of any theory of law that would say "because you violated a TRO, your findings as to a drug test are invalidated"- particularly when the TRO was vacated. Ok, lawyers who actually do this subject matter for a living may now call me stupid.
Good stuff Jim! Thank you!Question: if the Suffolk County court doesn't have jurisdiction (not sure if that's the correct term) to interpret the CBA, does that invalidate the TRO?

Bottom-line: As a Henry owner - He is a dumb A&& - The NFL isn't on a witch hunt for RB junkies - Travis Henry you are Guilty as charged - Go play with your 9 kids!

strong said:
The odds are stacked against him. I say maybe send an offer with your least valuable player on your roster...
The problem with that idea is that the least valuable player on your roster is, typically, no better than the best players available in the free agent pool. No Travis Henry owner will make that trade.I offered Ahman Green for T.Henry this morning and was turned down.

Bottom-line: As a Henry owner - He is a dumb A&& - The NFL isn't on a witch hunt for RB junkies - Travis Henry you are Guilty as charged - Go play with your 9 kids!
referring to travis henry as a junkie seems a little excessive.

His $22.5 million contract includes $12 million in bonuses and includes a clause that forces Henry to repay his $6 million signing bonus — if he had received all of the money — if he is suspended for drugs. Henry's signing bonus had been split into five payments, and he has received $2 million of it over three payments as of this month. He was scheduled to get another $1 million next month, then a $3 million payment in March. With a suspension, he would have to forfeit the $2 million he had received and it would be unlikely the Broncos would follow through with the other payments.

sounds like he may play Sunday

Broncos | Henry practices Friday

Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:00:24 -0700

Bill Williamson, of The Denver Post, reports Denver Broncos RB Travis Henry (knee, ankle) participated in practice Friday, Oct. 5. Henry is day-to-day and may be available to play during Week 5.

Bayhawks said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that Henry DID succeed in getting a court order saying the NFL COULD NOT test the B sample. They went ahead and did so anyway, and then later got an appeals court to overide the first courts decision.
I haven't read anything that indicates that the test happened after the restraining order was issued.That wouldn't make any sense, anyway. The motion was for a restraining order preventing the use of the sample to suspend Henry -- not preventing the testing of the sample itself. If they hadn't tested the sample yet, then they would have sought a restraining order preventing the testing itself.

referring to travis henry as a junkie seems a little excessive.
Yeah! How 'bout you just call him Smokey the Bronco!? :lmao: There's a ton of info here, and a big legal mess to sort out. Anyone know how quickly can these things reach a resolution, and what happens while it's being processed?

BeachBums said:
BigJim® said:
4 - Digit Shark said:
Good stuff Jim! Thank you!Question: if the Suffolk County court doesn't have jurisdiction (not sure if that's the correct term) to interpret the CBA, does that invalidate the TRO?
If jurisdiction lies exclusively in the federal courts, which I believe it does, then yes, any orders entered by a court lacking subject matter jurisdiction would be null. It isn't clear to me where the legal proceedings are headed. First, Henry filed suit in state court, seeking a TRO. He somewhat surprisingly got it, but then had it reversed by an appellate court. I'm not sure if Henry has any redress available with respect to the reversal of the TRO; depending on NY's court system, there may be a court of last resort to which he could appeal the appellate court's decision. He might also be able to file a motion for reconsideration with the court that reversed him. From there, the NFL's lawyers removed the case to federal court. Removal is a process whereby a lawyer tells a federal court that a case filed in state court should be heard by a federal court, due to the nature of the allegations contained in the suit. However, Henry has the right to contest the removal; he may file a Motion to Remand the case to state court, and argue to the federal judge that the federal court system lacks jurisdiction over his claims. I think he will lose that argument, but he certainly has a right to be heard.The key in all of this is that, as far as I can tell, there are absolutely no orders in effect, either in state or federal court, which would prevent the NFL from doing whatever it wants to Henry. The TRO he had has vanished, and unless he can get a TRO or other injunction somehow, the NFL could slap a suspension on him right away. Now, the NFL's own internal procedures may take a certain amount of time to take place, and Henry may have appeals within the system.

Bayhawks said:

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but even though the first court's decision was overturned, it would seem that the NFL violated that ruling anyway, IF they tested the B sample BEFORE the decision was overturned. It would seem that this would be a problem, legally, for the NFL.
IF this is true, then Henry could temporarily wiggle out of the suspension.This is like the stories we hear of evidence obtained illegally being thrown out of court.

I imagine the NFL would then immediately test Henry again, and that's where he might fail again.

I still think it's unlikely he beats this, but it's not a slam dunk until we see how the timing is on the restraining order/override vs. the sample collection -- or at least how the court interprets it.
Even if the NFL tests Henry again at this point, he is past the October 1 date which means that he is beyond his one year window and a positive test would result in a four game suspension (I think). Additiionally, if this original test was a random test then I think Henry could argue that a test now would be selective prosecution in the form of a witch hunt against Henry. I've probably taken this way too far though since I don't even know if the drug program has random tests for violators inside the one year window or if they're scheduled. Here's my next question which hasn't been answered yet. If the NFL does in fact re-test, is it the original B test that is retested or a new sample from Henry right now?

Users who are viewing this thread