What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California’s water supply is shrinking rapidly (1 Viewer)

Pretty uncool response but typical in this forum.
It’s a joke.  R-e-l-a-x.

Some absolutely awful takes in this thread.

This isn't just a California issue, it's the entire southwest.  For those of you who come across as gleeful that California is in a drought so that you can spike the football on Dems, just know that CA supplies much of this country's agriculture.
Check out the OP.  Go back and read it.  See how the topic was framed.  Climate change is our #1 issue because CA is low on water.

If people want a different discussion, then perhaps it should have been framed differently up front.

I think the difference is huge. To fix a problem you have to agree on what the cause is.  

I agree climate change is a massive problem and contributes to this crisis. But funneling money at climate change initiatives - how is that going to fix the water problem?  Seems that more direct solutions that can get California more water need to be considered. 
Yep.  If only this had been pointed out earlier in the thread.

Something that hasn't happened for years. We use get rain every afternoon. It's probably been 10 to 15 years ago.

the earth has always cycled - for like, millions of years

regardless - the agriculture of CA is often dry land farming - they call it that for a reason 

Has anyone mentioned the possible role illegal immigration has played in the population explosion changing the land of plenty to the land of scarcity? 
Maybe, maybe not but in the case of CA, whether illegal or not, they are the people feeding you (unless you grow your own food) so it's kind of a moot point. You need people to work in agriculture and white anglo ain't doing it in CA. Frankly I don't know how how people do it in CA but I digress. I couldn't live there on what I make and moving there wouldn't provide enough of a cost of living bump to cover the difference.

There is no fix to this..none..unless we work on desalinization.  There are too many people in California to sustain it.  Period.  Not a global warming issue at all.  Just far far too much consumption.   

Driving electric vehicles isn't going to magically make this better

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is bugging the #### out of me.  Is it desalination or desalinization? 

I mean, really, that's the important topic to nail down in here.
I probably spelled it wrong.  It felt wrong when I typed it however I was too lazy to check it to be honest

It would help if the powers that be prioritized the retention of water over releases to the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta in an attempt to rescue the Delta smelt (a 3-inch fish likely unavoidably headed toward extinction). 

I'm telling you dinosaurs lived on a planet that was far warmer than we are right now and when it got colder, people burning fossil fuels wasn't the reason
Nobody is saying human beings burning fossil fuel is THE reason for global warming.  But you knew this already.  

I think a few things.

Global warming is a real problem and the people in D.C. need to get on it.  

I don't know anything about the weather in California.  Are you guys having an extended drought?  

I think a few things.

Global warming is a real problem and the people in D.C. need to get on it.  

I don't know anything about the weather in California.  Are you guys having an extended drought?  
Yes. Multi-year and worst it’s ever been.  But it’s not just Cali as mentioned.  The whole of the southwest is in it.  

So Orange County has been NIMBYing this for twenty years?

For more than two decades, California’s Orange County has debated whether to build a seaside plant to convert the Pacific Ocean’s salt water into drinking water in hopes of buffering against droughts like the one now gripping the nation’s most populous state.

"Poseidon and its supporters, including Gov. Gavin Newsom, contend the Huntington Beach plant will produce 50 million gallons of water a day that are crucial to help weather cutbacks on state and federal water supplies following years of drought. Newsom, a Democrat, recently told the Bay Area News Group editorial board that a denial would be a “big setback” and “we need more tools in the damn tool kit” to address drought.

But environmental groups and the Coastal Commission’s staff, which reviewed the plan, oppose it. They argue it will damage marine life by killing tiny organisms that form the base of the ocean’s food web. They also say it’s vulnerable to flooding and other hazards. And some in the water industry say the cost of desalinated water is too high and isn’t needed in an area with access to cheaper sources.

Newsom last summer urged residents to cut consumption by 15%, but since then water usage has dropped by only about 3%. Some areas have begun instituting generally mild restrictions, in most cases limiting how many days lawns can be watered. More stringent restrictions are likely later in the year."

Looks like Californians are being selfish with their water consumption too. Gov. Newsom wanted a 15% decrease in water usage, but the residents didn't care and cut back 3%. Now it's EVERYONE'S problem. 🙄

Los Angeles Daily water consumption

Compared to nearby cities, Beverly Hills has the highest residential water use: 135 gallons per person per day. Burbank's residents use 111 gallons a day. Los Angeles (78 gallons) uses about 40% less per person than Beverly Hills.Dec 8, 2016

----

2020Joe Biden (D)*71.0%Donald Trump (R)26.9%

----

Democrats make up almost all of Hollywood, and they're the ones crying climate change, global warming and .... they're the ones with the highest residential water consumption

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Los Angeles Daily water consumption

Compared to nearby cities, Beverly Hills has the highest residential water use: 135 gallons per person per day. Burbank's residents use 111 gallons a day. Los Angeles (78 gallons) uses about 40% less per person than Beverly Hills.Dec 8, 2016

----

2020Joe Biden (D)*71.0%Donald Trump (R)26.9%

----

Democrats make up almost all of Hollywood, and they're the ones crying climate change, global warming and .... they're the ones with the highest residential water consumption

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The “Do as I say, not as I do” is strong with liberal elites.  

I understand this is in the Politics Forum, but really?  We have enough things to be partisan about, but water shortages??  

It's like Trump blaming the wildfires on the States for not raking the forest floors.

Trump's wildfire comment was dumb. Not sure what that has to do with liberals talking about water shortages, climate change, drought etc etc. Then practicing nothing of what they preach, or very little. 

What's California's political makeup? 65 %D 35 R? 70/30? Get your house in order before preaching at other states to bail you out 🤷‍♂️. It's a serious problem. Just practice what you preach is all.

Trump's wildfire comment was dumb. Not sure what that has to do with liberals talking about water shortages, climate change, drought etc etc. Then practicing nothing of what they preach, or very little. 

What's California's political makeup? 65 %D 35 R? 70/30? Get your house in order before preaching at other states to bail you out 🤷‍♂️. It's a serious problem. Just practice what you preach is all.
Water and fire don't know political boundaries, much like COVID.    We are the USA and need to work together to combat Climate Change vs assessing political make-up  :rolleyes:

Water and fire don't know political boundaries, much like COVID.    We are the USA and need to work together to combat Climate Change vs assessing political make-up  :rolleyes:
Exactly!! So the Californians need to look inward first. Start there. Not sure why this is hard to understand?? Cut water usage like their governor wants.

Orange County only turned blue in 2016. If this desalination plant has been debated for 20 years there is plenty of blame for both parties to look like turds

It's not about wasteful usage, people. It's about drought.

And the drought is being caused by global climate change, resulting in lower mountain snowpack and rainfall in general in the West.

Obviously, given the current drought, Californians (together everyone in the West, Southwest and Plains states) will need to cut back drastically on water use.

But to point the finger at a Blue State in a type of "Californians made their own bed so lie in it" is just ignorant.

And the drought is being caused by global climate change, resulting in lower mountain snowpack and rainfall in general in the West.

Obviously, given the current drought, Californians (together everyone in the West, Southwest and Plains states) will need to cut back drastically on water use.

But to point the finger at a Blue State in a type of "Californians made their own bed so lie in it" is just ignorant.
This may be the first post of yours I'm in total agreement with -- 👍

Partially.  As I said before.  I believe its far more due to overpopulation 

It’s not the liberal areas in CA using the most water. The vast majority of our water use is in the Republican dominated agricultural areas. Just to be clear I’m not blaming the CA GOP for this either. Drought knows no political parties. It’s a major problem, and one that needs to be addressed ASAP, but residential users aren’t really going to make a dent in this alone.

I really feel that we as a nation are going to need to acquire new tastes for foods that are less water intensive. 

Thank you for the post.  I lost the will power to repeat myself in this thread. 

I really feel that we as a nation are going to need to acquire new tastes for foods that are less water intensive. 
Unfortunately that simply won’t happen.  We, as a people, seem completely incapable of denying ourselves anything.  We will drive innovation and technology advancements long before we sacrifice anything.  Seems to be who we are as a species. 

It's not absurd at all.  Even Gavin Newsom had acknowledged and promised to do more to mitigate fire risk, but of course he did the exact opposite:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/gov-newsom-overstated-fire-prevention-work-report/2577585/
I brought this up more as of course Trump a) wouldn't pin this on climate change (again the primary cause) and 2) if it were a red state he probably would have kept his mouth shut or actually offered assistance

Forest Management isn't "raking" -- though prescribed burns would be a part of it

I brought this up more as of course Trump a) wouldn't pin this on climate change (again the primary cause) and 2) if it were a red state he probably would have kept his mouth shut or actually offered assistance

Forest Management isn't "raking" -- though prescribed burns would be a part of it

Part of forest fire mitigation is cleaning out the dead leaves, branches, etc....that accumulate on the ground.  Call it what you want but he wasn't incorrect.  I understand that your blind partisan hatred prevents you from rational discussion on this, but please try. 

Part of forest fire mitigation is cleaning out the dead leaves, branches, etc....that accumulate on the ground.  Call it what you want but he wasn't incorrect.  I understand that your blind partisan hatred prevents you from rational discussion on this, but please try. 
That's on us then. Most of the forest land in California is federal or privately owned.

Unfortunately that simply won’t happen.  We, as a people, seem completely incapable of denying ourselves anything.  We will drive innovation and technology advancements long before we sacrifice anything.  Seems to be who we are as a species. 
I agree, sadly. 

Because damn near all the fires occur on federal forest land. 

I guess that's why no one pushed back on Trump when he suggested CA should be taking mitigation steps, and also why Gavin Newsom declared an emergency and promised to perform said mitigation and never said it was the fed's fault.  But sure, whatever helps you sleep at night.

And, to be clear, I don't know if the feds are doing their part.  I've never heard complaints about them not doing so, and CA acknowledges they AREN'T doing their part.  But none of this changes the fact that Trump's criticism of the fire mitigation being done in CA was valid. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread