What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calvin Johnson here - question for yall (1 Viewer)

Nothing new. He had an MRI and they are waiting on the results. If he doesn't start, odds are Stanton will. I would think we will know Wednesday or Thursday.

My guess is Culpepper will not play, but it's strictly a guess based on how bad the injury looked. His arm was going full speed forward and was stopped when his arm was hit. That usually leads to a shoulder injury.

So assuming Stanton gets the start, does Calvin get his weekly 80 yrds and a TD @ IND?
No because the thread title says he's going to score and the Football guys Karma says when CJ goes 2-17 with 0 td's everyone will bump this thread.

i heard on the radio yesterday morning that orlowsky might return and get the start if DC can't play.

i heard on the radio yesterday morning that orlowsky might return and get the start if DC can't play.
Orlovsky will start IF he is healthy...and at this point, that is a really big if. But the good thing is that we should know Wednesday because Stanton will need practice time if he is going to start and Orlovsky will have to be healthy enough on Wednesday to be able to start. I'm not sure his hand is healthy enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony I think we are 2 of the biggest Calvin supporters on this board...that being said, are you thinking of other options this weekend or still riding with MegeStud? (I'm nervous about this QB situation)

Anthony I think we are 2 of the biggest Calvin supporters on this board...that being said, are you thinking of other options this weekend or still riding with MegeStud? (I'm nervous about this QB situation)
JMO, but I don't see how you bench him at this stage. Throughout the year CJ has been thrown to by different QB's and he just keeps producing. Odds are also decent that the Lions get behind in this game, which means whoever is throwing the ball will have to throw it a lot. Surely he will get a few targets this week, and we have seen what he can do with them. If you are still alive at this point, it is pretty likely that he is part of the reason for it. Can't bench him here when he is healthy no matter who is throwing him the ball.

MDSkinner I definitely see your point, but I'm fortunate enough to have other solid options (Breaston, Santana Moss for example) But i agree, its hard to bench him, and this is the first week this year I've seriously considered it.

Orlovsky will start IF he is healthy...and at this point, that is a really big if. But the good thing is that we should know Wednesday because Stanton will need practice time if he is going to start and Orlovsky will have to be healthy enough on Wednesday to be able to start. I'm not sure his hand is healthy enough.
I think the Connecticut Kid will be back in there.However, Martin Mayhew just found an old rolodex with Rodney Peete's contact info. Stay tuned...

In a PPR league, Megatron has been tough call every week, although the TDs have helped, I might think that if orlovsky comes back, his production goes up as , in past games, he targeted him alot. He's my toughest line up call every week

Reggie Wayne and Roddy White are starting over him at WR and Pierre Thomas gets the nod at FLEX.

This is the first time I've benched him all year and I've been a proponent of starting him regardless of matchup and QB situation in all of the "Bench Calvin This Week?" threads, but if Drew Stanton starts this game I can't see Calvin hitting the big play or catching enough passes on intermediate routes to justify a start. Stanton looked atrocious in the game against Tampa. I can't imagine him being much better against the Colts in Indianapolis.

I still hope I'm wrong and Calvin does well, but it's way too risky to start him with Stanton at QB.

I playing CJ this week over Colston.

I learned in FF as in life you dance with the girl you brought to dance. CJ got me this far, I don't care if Mickey Mouse is the QB, I still think he ends up with a TD this week, as the lions will be playing catch up all day.

as the lions will be playing catch up all day.
playing catch up does not always equal positive results from the passing game. playing from behind puts more pressure on the quarterback, and that can result in turnovers, especially from an inexperienced quarterback. the colts defense has been playing well lately, and they are in the hunt for a playoff spot. i've played calvin all year, but i'm not sure if i will this weekend. i'll wait and see what develops later in the week with the Lions quarterback situation.

as the lions will be playing catch up all day.
playing catch up does not always equal positive results from the passing game. playing from behind puts more pressure on the quarterback, and that can result in turnovers, especially from an inexperienced quarterback. the colts defense has been playing well lately, and they are in the hunt for a playoff spot. i've played calvin all year, but i'm not sure if i will this weekend. i'll wait and see what develops later in the week with the Lions quarterback situation.
I could care less that their QB gets sacked six times, fumbles twice, and throws four INTs....as long as CJ gets his 5-82-1 line

He had a good rapport with Orvlorsky, I'd think him playing is a good sign for CJ (never thought I'd be saying Orvlorsky starting would be a good sign for his WR). I don't know about Stanton, this should be a slight downgrade. But the Indy D isn't the greatest, and whoever is throwing it will chuck it about 50 times this week, so I think CJ can find his way to 4-8 of those, with one being a TD.

The point others have made about him producing no matter who is throwing him the ball should not be overlooked. It's not like he's had a rotation that included Grossman and Orton, or Schaub and Rosenfels, guys that are C or B/B+ QBs. His QBs this year have been objectively AWFUL. If someone told you at the FF draft that he'd have Culpepper, Orvlorsky, Stanton, etc. throwing him the ball, would you have thought he'd come anywhere near 1000 and 10??? I wouldn't. The guy is an animal. Unless you have some serious quality options to play over him, and I'm not talking about Breaston and Hixon, play Megatron, even if the Lions sign me to throw him the ball.

It really is Indy's pass defense that worries me more than the Detroit QB. They've given up the 31st most points to WRs so far (Titans 32nd).

I'm not 100% sure on this yet, but for now, I plan to bench Megatron for Bowe. Its the playoffs, and while the upside on CJ is higher, I think that he has a greater potential to put up a 2-3 points than does Bowe.

Also, the Indy pass D is great, top 5 in the league. That's definitely a factor.

JMO, but I don't see how you bench him at this stage.
:fishing: That is my answer to the question. Unless you are loaded with studs, I can't see benching him.
not to hijack, I am sitting on Wayne, Randy, Bowe and Breaston.. and in a start 3, I am not sure Calvin gets the start.. I think Wayne and Randy are over the hill.. but the upside on their matchups is better and Bowes is darn good too

But the Indy D isn't the greatest
They are pretty good against the pass. In 13 games they have only allowed 4 passing TD's.
The Bucs had only given up 1 rushing TD before this week when they gave up 4. The Colts must be due to give up a couple passing TD's.
Interesting theory to bank a fantasy season on. The Panthers are a better running team than the Lions are a passing team with Stanton at QB. It's not like the Lions are lighting people up with their passing game coming into this one.Drew Stanton has looked like a deer in the headlights coming into this matchup. If I was starting Calvin I would expect 4 catches for 48 yards. Anything else is a bonus. Maybe you get lucky and they hit him deep and that line becomes 5 for 108 and a TD, but banking on that is extremely risky in my opinion.I hate to underestimate Calvin. I hope he makes me regret benching him, but he has to take a seat for me this week.

Also, it's important to note that you wouldn't expect the Lions to have the ball very much in this game considering the Colts' offense is starting to click and they will likely dominate the time of possession.

I don't see the Lions sustaining too many drives with Stanton at QB, and I also don't see the Lions defense stopping the Colts, which will limit Calvin's opportunities even more.

.5 ppr

My choices are Megatron, TO, Pierre or J Stewart.

I think this is the week Mega gets shut down.. If Indy goes up by 10 or more, colts d sits back and doubles mega, while sending everyone at whoever is under center...

This guy is the 7th rated WR in my PPR league. In Week seven he caught 2 passes - and scored me 24 points because he got 154 yards and 1 TD with those two catches. He won't end the season on my bench . . .

simey said:
They are pretty good against the pass. In 13 games they have only allowed 4 passing TD's.
I think this is the deciding factor.
Word here in Detroit (Wednesday) is that C-Pepp did not practice, and will be questionable or possibly doubtful for Sunday.Dan Ovrlosky did practice, but they want to see how he responds and feels on Thursday. I guess the last time he tried to go, he was alright for a brief practice, but the day after caused him a lot of pain and discomfort.Calvin is going to be a tough call for everyone. I have him, Braylon and Devrey Henderson for one spot. At this point, I am still leaning towards Calvin.

In a Colston thread, I mentioned that I'd be benching him for Megatron. This thread has me reconsidering, esp. since it's PPR.

Granted, Calvin's been a TD machine, but these 2-4 catch days have me nervous. And even though the Lions should be playing from behind, I don't know that we can depend on consistent output from CJ.

I'm sure it depends on who you have behind him. I've got Santonio and Winslow. So it's Megatron for me.

simey said:
The Bucs had only given up 1 rushing TD before this week when they gave up 4. The Colts must be due to give up a couple passing TD's.
Interesting theory to bank a fantasy season on. The Panthers are a better running team than the Lions are a passing team with Stanton at QB. It's not like the Lions are lighting people up with their passing game coming into this one.Drew Stanton has looked like a deer in the headlights coming into this matchup. If I was starting Calvin I would expect 4 catches for 48 yards. Anything else is a bonus. Maybe you get lucky and they hit him deep and that line becomes 5 for 108 and a TD, but banking on that is extremely risky in my opinion.
Also the Bucs were on the road where they haven't been as good and the Colts are home.

I predict 8 catches for 80 yards, with a 30% chance of TD. I doubt the Colts will let Calvin get behind the secondary, and will give up the shorter underneath routes. I'll start Calvin in part because I have the Colts DST (in case he truly gets shut down).

Lions | C. Johnson limited in practice Wednesday

Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:01:44 -0800

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson (hand) was limited in practice Wednesday, Dec. 10. His status for Week 15 is uncertain.

Don't know what this is about?

If he plays, you start him. PERIOD.

Bench Megatron at your own risk.

He's the #1 WR in a non-PPR TD distance bonus league. He's been a stud all year...

It looks like Dan Ovrlosky is going to get the start..I would be wary. I just heard an interview with Orvlosky saying that he will do his best but he can`t make all of the throws. Whatever that means.

Interesting theory to bank a fantasy season on. The Panthers are a better running team than the Lions are a passing team with Stanton at QB. It's not like the Lions are lighting people up with their passing game coming into this one.Drew Stanton has looked like a deer in the headlights coming into this matchup. If I was starting Calvin I would expect 4 catches for 48 yards. Anything else is a bonus. Maybe you get lucky and they hit him deep and that line becomes 5 for 108 and a TD, but banking on that is extremely risky in my opinion.
Also the Bucs were on the road where they haven't been as good and the Colts are home.
Ok, I should have made more obvious the :obc: in my post.

It looks like Dan Ovrlosky is going to get the start..I would be wary. I just heard an interview with Orvlosky saying that he will do his best but he can`t make all of the throws. Whatever that means.
Ovrlosky is now saying he can make all his throws, and he felt good after practicing all week.I am not saying Dan O is a good QB, but he should be able to hit Calvin on a few, and hopefully one or more will be deep ones.And remember, Calvin is not a player that needs a lot of targets. He's been posting these numbers with only a few rec's per game.

Calvin Johnson is up against the Defense with the LEAST passing touchdowns allowed. If I were Dungy/INDY, I would shut down Johnson and make Smith and Orlovsky beat you. They are going to be attacking the QB hard and I don't think Johnson will be allowed a decent look all day. I may be way off base, so please tell me that is not how this will play out.

Indy's D

Week 11- 70+ yds to WR's

Week 12- 60 yds 1 TD

Week 13- Abomination vs. CLE

Week 14- 70+ yards to two receivers

They have been passed on the last 4 weeks vs. #1 WR's

Calvin Johnson is up against the Defense with the LEAST passing touchdowns allowed. If I were Dungy/INDY, I would shut down Johnson and make Smith and Orlovsky beat you. They are going to be attacking the QB hard and I don't think Johnson will be allowed a decent look all day. I may be way off base, so please tell me that is not how this will play out.
I think your assessment is correct, but I also think Calvin is good enough to beat double teams. He's seen it all year (at least since Roy has left, and even sometimes while he was still there).The guy is a beast. He may not be the best WR in the NFL (yet), but he is likely the most difficult to defend. His height and body size are so huge, he can out leap, box-out AND out run/out manuver anyone.And don't forget, the more they are playing from behind, the more they will be throwing and throwing deep. Marinelli is desperate to avoid 0-16, it won't happen Sunday, but the Lions will give 110%.Here is a quote from Ovrlosky today....
"My thumb feels 100 percent. I don't have any ill effect from the past injury," Orlovsky said, adding he is not trying to cover up any issues he might have. "I'm always trying to tell the truth."

Agreed.... with a qualifier. If I were Dungy, and I was really worried about the W, and trying to come up with the best scheme to beat the Lions, then I would try to "shut down Johnson and make Orlovsky beat you". I know this is the NFL and these guys are all all pros, but the truth is the Lions are losing this game. I am not sure that Dungy and the Colts have extra worries about shutting down Calvin....

Calvin will get the start for me on this one like he has all season.

Users who are viewing this thread