What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can someone explain to me the Deion Branch Love (1 Viewer)

If healthy Branch will make a nice #2 this year (especially if drafted as a #3). Brady loves to throw the long ball and he's going to be the recepient of several long bombs this year in addition to the underneath stuff he's so proficient at. Ya he will have some dud games but who doesn't. He's head and shoulders above any other wr on the roster IMO.

Interesting to note that FBG has Branch as their #3WR THIS WEEK, but #25 WR overall for this year.Guess they expected this against Oakland, but don't expect him to keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting to note that FBG has Branch as their #3WR THIS WEEK, but #25 WR overall for this year.

Guess they expected this against Oakland, but don't expect him to keep it up.
LOL, I think anyone will be a top 5 wr vs. Oakland this year. They are horrible v. the pass...

I like branch and have him in my most significant money league, but I still believe he's a situational play.  Thus I have tempered enthusiasm.

At home against Oakland is about the best matchup you can get for the NE passing game IMHO.
Situational play... :confused: What type of league is this...6 teamer, start 2?Branch is the clear number one on a very good passing team with one of the top QBs in the league.
Well, it obviously depends on the league and your WR depth. There are some games where the Pats just wont pass much.

Well, it obviously depends on the league and your WR depth. There are some games where the Pats just wont pass much.
Did you not see how Oak, thats the Raiders, was able to shut down the Pats run game. :eek:

Patriots | Branch Doesn't Drop Any - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:34:09 -0700

Paul Perillo, of Patriots Football Weekly, reports New England Patriots WR Deion Branch finished with the NFL's lowest percentage of dropped passes in 2004. According to STATS, Inc., Branch had no drops in 51 passes thrown in his direction.

What's not to love?

I hope he is following in the foot steps of Derrick Mason in terms of not being spectacular but consistently good.
Well, you can throw that out the window after last night. I counted at least 3 drops and I was flipping channels..

I got Branch with the last pick in the 7th round, so I wasn't real high on him fantasywise but neither was anybody else in my league. I thought he was a good value in the 7th round though.But for those saying that he can't catch in traffic, doesn't get seperation and couldn't perform against a good defense: Did you watch the Playoffs and Super Bowl last year! Pitt and Philly were no slouches on defense. Branch is a terrific wide receiver. The only reason he is not a top flight fantasy receiver is the balance of the New England offense and with the NE defense, the offense rarely has to put up huge numbers to win. You can question his fantasy worth but those questioning his skills are way off base.

-- Branch Produces --Fri Sep 9, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com#The Boston Globe reports after sitting out the entire exhibition season, Super Bowl MVP WR Deion Branch returned to action in a big way last night, finishing with a team-high seven catches for 99 yards and a touchdown. ''Deion is setting a standard for our receiving corps," QB Tom Brady said. ''He has a great understanding of playing receiver, he's like a point guard playing receiver. He understands defenses, running routes, and has a lot of great, physical skills. He's strong, quick, has great hands and great vision. The mental part of the game comes easy to him." Naturally, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was happy to have Branch back in the huddle. ''He's a good playmaker for us. He came up with a lot of good catches and a couple of good runs after the catch," Belichick said. ''We all know we want to get the ball in his hands."

Patriots | Branch Doesn't Drop Any - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:34:09 -0700

Paul Perillo, of Patriots Football Weekly, reports New England Patriots WR Deion Branch finished with the NFL's lowest percentage of dropped passes in 2004. According to STATS, Inc., Branch had no drops in 51 passes thrown in his direction.

What's not to love? 

I hope he is following in the foot steps of Derrick Mason in terms of not being spectacular but consistently good.
Well, you can throw that out the window after last night. I counted at least 3 drops and I was flipping channels..
Well i don't know about three, as i can't recall that many. If you want to play that game then i'd say there were atleast three bad throws by Brady that would have seriously inflated Branch's numbers. Realistically he could have had atleast 200 yards and 2 TDs last night. He looked great for not playing one snap in preseason. He's a great WR who'll get his as long as he's healthy.

I still say Branch is a feast or famine guy.  If open a lot, he'll get the looks from Brady.  If a team elects to cover him tight or double cover him, he will be an after thought.

His career game logs seem to support this.  He's had under 40 yards receiving 18 times (out of 44 games played).  He's only had 8 games with 90 yards receiving--they just seem to come in nationally televised games.  He may benefit some with Patten gone, but IMO the Pats spread the ball out too much for any single guy to be a force week in or week out.
Feast or famine guy? What WR outside the top teir studs are not feast or famine? Thats why you value RBs over WR, more consistent touches and thus points. It's the nature of the beast at WR. There is no point in singling out Branch for this, the same could be said of nearly every other WR in the NFL as well.
Branch is more feast or famine than others. He's had 23 games out of 44 with 5 or fewer fantasy points (0 PPR). That's more than half. I don't have time to compare him to others right now, but I doubt many others will clock in at 52% with 5 or under.
your counting 44 games of his.. so your counting when the guy was a rookie and not a number one.. your counting his first two years when he was a situational player.. what about just his numbers from last year (when healthy) and this year (1 game)... that would be years 3 and 4.. those are the numbers i am looking at.. i dont give a crap what he did as a rookie.. you averaging that in there just proves your point, but doesnt show the whole story about how he has improved and what a good wr he is now.. he is a number one on a good passing team with arguably the best qb in the league throwing him the ball.

I am a bills fan and it kills me to say it, but i think he is a great player when on the field.

last night was just a small sight of things to come this year..

and who is talking about branch as a number 1 wr?? what person in ANY league drafted him as their first wr?? no one.. at best he is a number 2 and he will put up and exceed number 2 expectations this season if he stays on the field.

I still say Branch is a feast or famine guy.  If open a lot, he'll get the looks from Brady.  If a team elects to cover him tight or double cover him, he will be an after thought.

His career game logs seem to support this.  He's had under 40 yards receiving 18 times (out of 44 games played).  He's only had 8 games with 90 yards receiving--they just seem to come in nationally televised games.  He may benefit some with Patten gone, but IMO the Pats spread the ball out too much for any single guy to be a force week in or week out.
Feast or famine guy? What WR outside the top teir studs are not feast or famine? Thats why you value RBs over WR, more consistent touches and thus points. It's the nature of the beast at WR. There is no point in singling out Branch for this, the same could be said of nearly every other WR in the NFL as well.
Branch is more feast or famine than others. He's had 23 games out of 44 with 5 or fewer fantasy points (0 PPR). That's more than half. I don't have time to compare him to others right now, but I doubt many others will clock in at 52% with 5 or under.
your counting 44 games of his.. so your counting when the guy was a rookie and not a number one.. your counting his first two years when he was a situational player.. what about just his numbers from last year (when healthy) and this year (1 game)... that would be years 3 and 4.. those are the numbers i am looking at.. i dont give a crap what he did as a rookie.. you averaging that in there just proves your point, but doesnt show the whole story about how he has improved and what a good wr he is now.. he is a number one on a good passing team with arguably the best qb in the league throwing him the ball.

I am a bills fan and it kills me to say it, but i think he is a great player when on the field.

last night was just a small sight of things to come this year..

and who is talking about branch as a number 1 wr?? what person in ANY league drafted him as their first wr?? no one.. at best he is a number 2 and he will put up and exceed number 2 expectations this season if he stays on the field.
You can break this down however you want, but Branch has been a starter since his second year. But I'll give all the numbers and people can decide for themselves whatever they want about Branch.2002:

13 Games Played

10 yards or less: 4

20 yards or less: 6

30 yards or less: 6

40 yards or less: 8

50 yards or less: 9 (69%)

60 yards or less: 9

61-80 yards: 2

81-100 yards: 1

101+ yards:1

Fantasy PPG: 4.68

2003 including post season:

18 Games Played

10 yards or less: 2

20 yards or less: 3

30 yards or less: 7

40 yards or less: 8

50 yards or less: 8 (44%)

60 yards or less: 10

61-80 yards: 4

81-100 yards: 2

101+ yards: 2

Fantasy PPG: 7.45

2004 including post season:

12 Games Played

10 yards or less: 1

20 yards or less: 3

30 yards or less: 4

40 yards or less: 4

50 yards or less: 6 (50%)

60 yards or less: 7

61-80 yards: 0

81-100 yards: 2

101+ yards: 3

Fantasy PPG: 9.16

Even last year he had less than 50 receiving yards in half his games. Half the time he scored 5 or fewer fantasy points.

Some people have been pimping him as a Top 10-15 WR, and unless he gets more in his "off" games, I don't see it.

I like branch and have him in my most significant money league, but I still believe he's a situational play. Thus I have tempered enthusiasm.

At home against Oakland is about the best matchup you can get for the NE passing game IMHO.
Situational play... :confused: What type of league is this...6 teamer, start 2?Branch is the clear number one on a very good passing team with one of the top QBs in the league.
Yes, he's still a situational play. This is still the Patriots who win games by getting a lead early and running the ball until the clock runs out. Brady had less than 250 yards passing in 10 out 16 games last year and spreads the ball out. I'm of the opinion that Branch gets more of those yards than in the past, but you can't count on the Pats passing game week in and week out. I will keep starting him against bad pass defenses, but if you start him every week expecting him to be consistent you will be disappointed. I also don't see him going off for 200 yards and 3 TD's in his offense the way some WR's are capable of doing.

I like branch and have him in my most significant money league, but I still believe he's a situational play. Thus I have tempered enthusiasm.

Bingo.

Bingo.
Yeah, and there are MOST games when Pitt won't or Balt or Hou or Jack or NYJ or probably a few other teams. That isn't stoping people from loving Ward, Mason, Johnson, Smith or Coles as solid #2s. What makes Branch any different? I personally, I think Branch is a better play than probably all of the guys I just listed.

Bingo.
Yeah, and there are MOST games when Pitt won't or Balt or Hou or Jack or NYJ or probably a few other teams. That isn't stoping people from loving Ward, Mason, Johnson, Smith or Coles as solid #2s. What makes Branch any different? I personally, I think Branch is a better play than probably all of the guys I just listed.
Ward - the solid #1 and has proved that he can get 1000 yards and 10 TD's.Mason - not sold on him either and consider him even less of a #2 than Branch, at least until I see Boller play well.

Johnson - the true #1 on his team, but it is a running team. Similar situation as Ward, but with better talent IMO.

Smith - I think Jax passes a lot more this year with the progression that I see Leftwich making.

Coles - not high on him either and not much difference from Branch except that he has a worse QB.

Ward - the solid #1 and has proved that he can get 1000 yards and 10 TD's.

Mason - not sold on him either and consider him even less of a #2 than Branch, at least until I see Boller play well.

Johnson - the true #1 on his team, but it is a running team. Similar situation as Ward, but with better talent IMO.

Smith - I think Jax passes a lot more this year with the progression that I see Leftwich making.

Coles - not high on him either and not much difference from Branch except that he has a worse QB.
Do you not see Branch as the clear #1 on NE? Seems to me he sure as heck is and all the comments and actions of the team have indicated this as well. I notice you call Johnson and Ward true #1s, is this to imply that Branch is not?

Ward - the solid #1 and has proved that he can get 1000 yards and 10 TD's.

Mason - not sold on him either and consider him even less of a #2 than Branch, at least until I see Boller play well.

Do you not see Branch as the clear #1 on NE? Seems to me he sure as heck is and all the comments and actions of the team have indicated this as well. I notice you call Johnson and Ward true #1s, is this to imply that Branch is not?
Yes, they are both #1's - just as I consider Branch the #1. I have little doubt that Branch could put up Ward-like numbers if he's healthy, although that's a big if. He was a great value for people in the 7th/8th rounds as the #25 or so WR but he comes with higher risk than Ward.I only ended up with him in one of my leagues since it just didn't make sense to take him (Mike Anderson in the 7th in one league and he went just before my pick in another).

Branch averaged 3.9 receptions and the team averaged 18.3 receptions per game last year, so Branch got 21% of the receptions.Ward averaged 5.0 receptions and the team averaged 14.3 receptions per game last year, so Ward got 35% of the receptions.Mason - no track record in BALAJohnson averaged 4.9 receptions and the team averaged 17.9 receptions per game last year, so Johnson got 27% of the receptions.JSmith averaged 4.6 receptions and the team averaged 19.1 completions per game last year, so Smith got 24% of the receptions.LColes averaged 5.6 receptions and the team averaged 20.6 receptions per game the final year Coles was with the Jets, so he got 27% of the receptions.Of the players mentioned, Branch had the lowest number of receptions per game and the lowest percentage of receptions. I don't know if that really menas that much, but I suspect if we looked at other WR in the same bandwith, he will be on the low side for those numbers.

I agree anarchy. 24% of team receptions looks like the minimum for WRs in the top 20. And the ones who did make it with this low of a percentage had very high YPC.

He is the #1 in NE and when healthy can take over games.
Even if we ignore the "when healthy" thing, lol @ NE having a #1 WR. They're probably the most spread-it-around team in the NFL.If I had a scrub WR I'd take a flyer, but that's it.

He is the #1 in NE and when healthy can take over games.
Even if we ignore the "when healthy" thing, lol @ NE having a #1 WR. They're probably the most spread-it-around team in the NFL.If I had a scrub WR I'd take a flyer, but that's it.
Umm, yes they do and you would be wise to realize that before.... oh nevermind, it's already too late. :bye:

SURE they do........

I'll believe it when I see it.
OK, you just did in week 1. How many more until you "believe it" then?
What exactly prevents Givens from having this performance next week? How will I know? Who do I start? That is the crux of the problem.

SURE they do........

What exactly prevents Givens from having this performance next week? How will I know? Who do I start? That is the crux of the problem.
What stops Bruce from out producing Holt in a given week, Porter over Moss, Wayne over Harrison, ect.... There are not guarantees for ANY WR in a single game. It has been well established throughout the course of the off-season that Branch is the WR of choice in NE, from both the coaches and Brady. If you’re looking for absolutes, you’re playing the wrong game.

I know he's shorter than Harrison, but I really feel like they are the same kind of WR.I think Branch is approaching the skill level of Harrison about 5 years ago with those laser sharp cuts and crazy quickness and great hands.I certainly feel Harrison is declining now, but I clearly remember watching him turn on a dime and leave CB's reeling while he was catching the ball.I think Branch is a special WR and I'm not ashamed to show it.It's KILLING me that I missed out on him in my 2 favorite leagues.

There seems to be a player I miss out on each year becuase I just don't pay much attention to him for whatevevr reason.Branch could be that player this year.Because of Brady's propensity to spread the ball around, I payed little if any attention to any NE reciever and avoided them in my leagues.I even passed on Branch as practically an afterthought on a trade I made yesterday. :bag:

SURE they do........

What stops Bruce from out producing Holt in a given week, Porter over Moss, Wayne over Harrison, ect.... There are not guarantees for ANY WR in a single game. It has been well established throughout the course of the off-season that Branch is the WR of choice in NE, from both the coaches and Brady. If you’re looking for absolutes, you’re playing the wrong game.
That's what I'm saying. Every QB spreads the ball around if they have good WR's. The second that the Patten left I felt things would change for the Patriots since they no longer have 3 good WR's to throw to and that's the reason they spread the ball around so much. Now they don't have that luxury and will have to throw the ball more to Branch and Givens. Of course Givens will have weeks where he outproduces Branch, but it's normal #2 WR's to do that for a lot of teams.

I don't get the icypots reference, but in addition to his 8/60, I saw him drop two that would have made it more like 10/90, and I saw Brady target him deep twice and in the end zone once. Carolina played the Pats' passing game very well... Branch was solid other than the drops, and I am assuming they will not continue, based on his past performance.

I hope so. He killed my chances last week. Brady targeted him a few times but the throws were way off.You guys were right. The Pats continue to spread it around. Branch, Givens, Dwight and Brown, TEs, RBs. I was hoping for Branch to be the primary.

I just posted a link from fanball saying that Branch struggles against double teams..this could very well benefit Givens..

It's one bad week, not unusual for WRs.
Code:
+----------+--------+-------------+----+| WK  OPP  |  RSHYD |  REC   YD   | TD |+----------+--------+-------------+----+|  1  oak  |     0  |    7    99  |  1 ||  2  car  |     0  |    8    60  |  0 ||  3  pit  |     0  |    6    78  |  0 ||  4  sdg  |     0  |    1     6  |  0 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+|  TOTAL   |     0  |   22   243  |  1 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+
For WR1s weeks 2 and 3 are poor/below average

Code:
+----------+--------+-------------+----+| WK  OPP  |  RSHYD |  REC   YD   | TD |+----------+--------+-------------+----+|  1  oak  |     0  |    7    99  |  1 ||  2  car  |     0  |    8    60  |  0 ||  3  pit  |     0  |    6    78  |  0 ||  4  sdg  |     0  |    1     6  |  0 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+|  TOTAL   |     0  |   22   243  |  1 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+
For WR1s weeks 2 and 3 are poor/below average
Not really, I would say they are average, especially in PPR leagues (which I have him in). 60 yds per game would be 960 for the year. 78 yds a game would be 1248 for the year. I wasn't expecting the guy to put up a TD every week, but consistent yds and smoe nice amounts of Rec. Weeks 2 and 3 provided that, wek 4 was awful.

It happens.Looks at Steve Smith's numbers last week.Not benching him either.WR's as a whole just aren't consistent.Branch is a small guy who gets taken out by double teams. Brady has been looking to Givens due to this doubling the last coupe of weeks.

So when does it go from one bad week to a trend? I like Branch as much as the next guy, but the fact of the matter is that for every good game he has, he averages almost one equally putrid one (at least up until this point in his career). Maybe that will change, but there's a decent chance that each week he will be a total nonfactor fantasywise.2002KC 6-33-0GB 5-38-0DEN 0-0-0DET 0-0-0CHI 1-9-0OAK 3-11-0MIN 1-20-0BUF 1-41-02003BUF 1-9-0NYJ 2-25-0WAS 3-38-0CLE 3-30-0JAX 1-16-0NYJ 2-24-0TEN 3-10-0IND 2-23-02004ARI 1-7-0CLE 1-13-0CIN 3-44-0MIA 3-44-0IND 1-15-02005SD 1-6-0Yes, he should be targetted more and should have improved with time. But the Patriots have played him regularly since the day he joined the team, so playing time really hasn't been the issue.

+----------+--------+-------------+----+| WK OPP | RSHYD | REC YD | TD |+----------+--------+-------------+----+| 1 oak | 0 | 7 99 | 1 || 2 car | 0 | 8 60 | 0 || 3 pit | 0 | 6 78 | 0 || 4 sdg | 0 | 1 6 | 0 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+| TOTAL | 0 | 22 243 | 1 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+For WR1s weeks 2 and 3 are poor/below average
You're grasping at straws. Since when are 8 and 6 catches poor or below average for a WR1 on a team? WRs not named Terrell Owens and Randy Moss don't score every week.As long as a WR is getting catches like that every week, there will be plenty of opportunity for yards and TDs.

+----------+--------+-------------+----+| WK OPP | RSHYD | REC YD | TD |+----------+--------+-------------+----+| 1 oak | 0 | 7 99 | 1 || 2 car | 0 | 8 60 | 0 || 3 pit | 0 | 6 78 | 0 || 4 sdg | 0 | 1 6 | 0 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+| TOTAL | 0 | 22 243 | 1 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+For WR1s weeks 2 and 3 are poor/below average
You're grasping at straws. Since when are 8 and 6 catches poor or below average for a WR1 on a team? WRs not named Terrell Owens and Randy Moss don't score every week.As long as a WR is getting catches like that every week, there will be plenty of opportunity for yards and TDs.
The fact is, after 4 weeks he is the 28th ranked receiver. He is not the found gold that everyone thought he would be. Every 3rd or 4th week he will have a good game, good enough to get your hopes up. Then he will let you down. That is what we were saying before the season, and, now, after 4 games.Brady spreads the ball around, Delhomme targets one guy. That is a fact.

This is one Branch owner who is sitting him against a tough ATL DST in favor of Stallworth and AJ this weekso there :boxing:

This is one Branch owner who is sitting him against a tough ATL DST in favor of Stallworth and AJ this week

so there :boxing:
WhoopsBranch 8-107-0

AJ 0-0-0

Stallworthless 1-6-0

Llama buddy are you still alive after last week ???

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The fact is, after 4 weeks he is the 28th ranked receiver. He is not the found gold that everyone thought he would be. Every 3rd or 4th week he will have a good game, good enough to get your hopes up. Then he will let you down. That is what we were saying before the season, and, now, after 4 games.Brady spreads the ball around, Delhomme targets one guy. That is a fact.
He is currently the #18 WR and has had 5 straight solid weeks.

He is currently the #18 WR and has had 5 straight solid weeks.
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread