What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can Trump be considered a fascist? (2 Viewers)

I think I'll just reiterate that we are not looking at fascism, not right now, not as it's defined. But we are looking at authoritarian nationalism, or at least a serious run at it.

I know, sounds like a distinction without a difference, but not really.
I think the distinction in the Vox interview above is correct. America is not currently a fascist country and the Trump administration is not a fascist administration. But Trump is using elements of fascist politics (constant lying, attacking the free press, ethnic nationalism, economic autarky, attacking democratic institutions, repetition of simplistic slogans, disrespecting the rule of law, racially charged demagoguery...).

Last edited by a moderator:
“The thing is, people willingly adopt the mythical past. Fascists are always telling a story about a glorious past that’s been lost, and they tap into this nostalgia. So when you fight back against fascism, you’ve got one hand tied behind your back, because the truth is messy and complex and the mythical story is always clear and compelling and entertaining. It’s hard to undercut that with facts.”

MAGA

I think the distinction in the Vox interview above is correct. America is not currently a fascist country and the Trump administration is not a fascist administration. But Trump is using elements of fascist politics (constant lying, attacking the free press, ethnic nationalism, economic autarky, attacking democratic institutions, repetition of simplistic slogans, disrespecting the rule of law, racially charged demagoguery...).
I said to Tim the other day/night that the NC rally crowd definitely had fascistic overtones. I didn't use that exact term, but my point was about how having read a pretty good amount on this (not just about Germany but other places like Russia and Spain) the crowd took on a participatory fervor. They were essentially taking part in the campaign actively yelling what was essentially a new party slogan, and Trump soaking it in and being aware of the moment and everyone was aware of the moment. And Trump as leader gave them that license to hate.

And I naturally do not believe Trump's protestations that he disapproved or tried to tamp it down, but he may have figured out it was actually politically harmful after someone got in his ear. However, this is going to happen again at the next rally or another one, and Trump isn't really in control of this thing. He has to respond and I think something in him needs to be fed in that way, I am not really sure he can say no. 

I said to Tim the other day/night that the NC rally crowd definitely had fascistic overtones. I didn't use that exact term, but my point was about how having read a pretty good amount on this (not just about Germany but other places like Russia and Spain) the crowd took on a participatory fervor. They were essentially taking part in the campaign actively yelling what was essentially a new party slogan, and Trump soaking it in and being aware of the moment and everyone was aware of the moment. And Trump as leader gave them that license to hate.

And I naturally do not believe Trump's protestations that he disapproved or tried to tamp it down, but he may have figured out it was actually politically harmful after someone got in his ear. However, this is going to happen again at the next rally or another one, and Trump isn't really in control of this thing. He has to respond and I think something in him needs to be fed in that way, I am not really sure he can say no. 
This is something that I've started to consider after his immediate backpedaling on the rally. It is entirely possible that Trump has created a fascist movement largely on accident (by a combination of his ignorance and personality), and with decreasing control over where it goes from here. 

This is something that I've started to consider after his immediate backpedaling on the rally. It is entirely possible that Trump has created a fascist movement largely on accident (by a combination of his ignorance and personality), and with decreasing control over where it goes from here. 
I don't think Trump's movement was created on accident. I think he knows what he's doing and he knows how to tap into nativist anger.

But he's also politically savvy enough to know that "Send her back" is not a winning slogan for him right now. (But that may change if the economy continues to slow down.)

Watch for the chant to change at the next rally -- maybe to something like "Go back now" or "Love it or leave it".

Users who are viewing this thread