What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

Hmm, made my first call of the year. Maybe I was a bit early but i wanted to get it rolling. Noticeable differences:

- The robut operator sent me straight to the cancellations department when i requested to cancel service. Didnt have to argue through the front line minion.

- This threw off my patter a little bit as I always say i was just disconnected from the cancellation department, operator said she was with cancellations and i must have not gotten very far because it wasnt logged. Meh

- She literally scheduled my disconnect before even trying to toss me an offer.

- Offered 40 a month off the bill, and absolutely nothing else. Didnt even offset the ticket. I declined politely.

Conclusions: they are definitely stingier this year on the front end, and i suspect there are some notes in my file that I havent paid for the ticket in ten years or whatever. The operator was polite enough but seemed uninvested in keeping me, which is new. Normally I would have hung up and tried my luck with a different one, but I would probably end up cancelling anyway so why waste time.  And they absolutely aren't dangling the free ticket to keep you like they have in the past, at least on the front end.

I'll toss an update if and when i get the deal I want, and if not (for some reason), I got no problem walking either.

Edit: Oh and the cancellation process is totally different now that they want you to take the equipment to a shipping center (i #####ed about that, didnt even make a dent). Which also means they can disconnect you like instantly, which implies there wont be a time lag between cancellation and service cut off to reach a deal. I had her delay it a while to see if i got any calls, or if not i'll call the number and see what happens. Dont really want to go through a service cut off if its not necessary.

Called back the 870 number. She initially said there were no Ticket offers showing up, put me on hold, came back with free Max plus $60 off for the year, no commitment. Good enough. Never had to actually disconnect.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I like the STMax, I don't "have" to have it.  The RZC is my biggest "goal".  What I cannot stand about Directv is the outages during rain or bad weather.  My dish alignment is perfect and get well over 98% signal strength.  It is extremely aggravating when it goes out.  I'm at the point of cancelling due to this and the games they play.  I've called 4 times in a month over my bill changing for no apparentreason as I am in contract.  Every CS rep I speak with has a different story.  Gets old real fast....

I had Xtra 220 package at $134. No contract.

Last year got bunch of discounts but said I couldn't get free ST because I got previous year. Took discounts & movie channel promos & watched Raiders on Reddit.

Called 866-444-2168 tonight & said with discounts expired bill too high, asking about promos & will cancel if still too high. Rep came back with $60 off / month, HBO/MAX 6 mos free, Showtime 4 mos free. Said rep told me last yr I couldn't get ST deal but should be able to this yr. Rep said no deal.I said cancel at midnight.

If they thru in ST I would have taken it, but after seeing what others have gotten, I'm greedy. Will post follow up.

That's what they told me last night on the phone.  I've always had it for free, so I never paid attention in previous seasons.  Although I have leverage since I don't have a contract, I might just cancel if I don't get a discount.
Got the same answer from them for a few weeks of trying to get the Sunday Ticket. Finally got impatient and canceled. About 16 hours after I got disconnected I called back and got the Ticket and more off per month than I was getting pre disconnect. 

Got the same answer from them for a few weeks of trying to get the Sunday Ticket. Finally got impatient and canceled. About 16 hours after I got disconnected I called back and got the Ticket and more off per month than I was getting pre disconnect. 
In contract or out? This is the number one key. I think unless you are out of contract or in contract and totally disconnect you aren’t going to get the top deals.

While I like the STMax, I don't "have" to have it.  The RZC is my biggest "goal".  What I cannot stand about Directv is the outages during rain or bad weather.  My dish alignment is perfect and get well over 98% signal strength.  It is extremely aggravating when it goes out.  I'm at the point of cancelling due to this and the games they play.  I've called 4 times in a month over my bill changing for no apparentreason as I am in contract.  Every CS rep I speak with has a different story.  Gets old real fast....
I have a directv dish at home & the lake.  The one at home(newer one) has outages all the time for a hard rain.  The other one hardly at all.   I don't understand.

I have a directv dish at home & the lake.  The one at home(newer one) has outages all the time for a hard rain.  The other one hardly at all.   I don't understand.
Extremely frustrating.  When it happens, the wife tells me to fix it and I always reply if I only had the kind of power....  

Sometimes it happens right before the rain hits as kind of an indicator of what's about to come.  My dish is unobstructed and everything is in order.  I just think it's the newer Genies maybe?  If it isn't raining too hard, I switch to the SD broadcasts and they will work but look like crap....

In contract or out? This is the number one key. I think unless you are out of contract or in contract and totally disconnect you aren’t going to get the top deals.
Well, it depends on how much contract you're potentially willing to eat. A few years ago i had to do the dance under contract (new equipment is the only time i accept a contract), I had a few month left, a hundred bucks to cancel or something like that, so i disconnected anyway, the fee showed up on the last bill but i just called back as a normal cancelled customer and got the great deal. I seem to recall not having to pay the fee after it all shook out.

Or to put it more simply- once you've cancelled and they are trying to win you back, the old contract isnt putting holds on the good offers.

I called and yelled "I ain't paying no 50 cents for no coke!".  Nothing happened.  Then I did this:

1-800 DIRECTV

"Cancel" 

Went to retention.  Got offered 12 off of each Sunday Ticket installment, so 50 off.  My other discount that i have now is 50 off and that is near expiry. The best we could do on cash discounts now is 30 off / mo for 12 months.   So I cancelled and it will shut off tonight and we'll call tomorrow and see what happens. 

I called and yelled "I ain't paying no 50 cents for no coke!".  Nothing happened.  Then I did this:

1-800 DIRECTV

"Cancel" 

Went to retention.  Got offered 12 off of each Sunday Ticket installment, so 50 off.  My other discount that i have now is 50 off and that is near expiry. The best we could do on cash discounts now is 30 off / mo for 12 months.   So I cancelled and it will shut off tonight and we'll call tomorrow and see what happens. 
In contract or out?

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
Out 

I called the main number and asked for Cancel Service. I have Xtra + sports pack. I am not in contract. I have 6 months left of $50 off monthly. The woman was very nice but she only offered another 35 off monthly. I declined and have cancellation set for Thursday.

I'll try the winback number in a couple of days.

You guys are the best! Just got through on the 870 number, claimed I missed a call and guy, Malik, went right into offering my same package, Xtra 220, for $35!

Additional:

ST max - no charge

HBO - 12 mos free

Cinemax & Showtime - 6 mos free

Direct TV streaming app - free (no idea if there is a cost involved with it).

Total before taxes - $38.49 for a $95 savings monthly.

He said he works in Retention and they are able to give people 'crazy deals'. He gave me his name & said call customer service number and ask for Retentions in 11 or 12 months so we can give you more discounts. Total time took about 15 minutes while I stood in the pool.

Thanks everyone!

You guys are the best! Just got through on the 870 number, claimed I missed a call and guy, Malik, went right into offering my same package, Xtra 220, for $35!

Additional:

ST max - no charge

HBO - 12 mos free

He said he works in Retention and they are able to give people 'crazy deals'. He gave me his name & said call customer service number and ask for Retentions in 11 or 12 months so we can give you more discounts. Total time took about 15 minutes while I stood in the pool.

Thanks everyone!
Did you disconnect first?

Additional:

ST max - no charge

HBO - 12 mos free

Thanks everyone!
I just talked to Malik also. Easiest DTV call ever. 

Choice All Included

Free Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO for 6 months (cancels automatically)

$300 VISA Giftcard

Only $24.99 a month. 

I cancelled back in February. Because they have to send me new equipment, I had to sign up for a 2 year contract. Malik told me to call back in 11 months, and they’ll reapply the discounts for the 2nd year. 

Mine disconnected last night. They called me today. I was offered 

53 /mo off per month 

Free Sunday ticket max 

$200 visa card 

I accepted and back in business after surviving 8 hours without service. 

I was pleasantly surprised that recorded shows worked today even with service cut off. Although the game is a little silly, it is very productive and pretty easy to cancel service. 

53 /mo off per month 

Free Sunday ticket max 

$200 visa card 

Seriously, best of luck to you. Last year a couple posters recommended waiting a couple days after cancelling before agreeing to a new deal. I didn’t listen, and I accepted a win back offer the day after cancelling. None of the offers they promised me ended up being applied. Over the course of a couple months I spent probably 30+ hours on the phone with them trying to get my account straightened out.  I eventually got the gift card they promised and free Sunday ticket, but they were never able to apply the monthly discount. I ended up just cancelling after the Super Bowl, and went with PlayStation Vue the last 6 months. 

Others that didn’t wait a couple days shared similar stories. 

So for anyone else planning on cancelling, I highly recommend waiting a few days before signing back up!

Seriously, best of luck to you. Last year a couple posters recommended waiting a couple days after cancelling before agreeing to a new deal. I didn’t listen, and I accepted a win back offer the day after cancelling. None of the offers they promised me ended up being applied. Over the course of a couple months I spent probably 30+ hours on the phone with them trying to get my account straightened out.  I eventually got the gift card they promised and free Sunday ticket, but they were never able to apply the monthly discount. I ended up just cancelling after the Super Bowl, and went with PlayStation Vue the last 6 months. 

So for anyone else planning on cancelling, I highly recommend waiting a few days before signing back up!
I canceled last year and everything went pretty well using the same playbook as this year. We'll see what happens but I'm not too nervous at the moment. 

53 /mo off per month 

Free Sunday ticket max 

$200 visa card 

Where were you with discounts on prior deal? I just paid month 12, the last discount month, 5 days ago. Did you pay a full bill first before disconnecting? Curious if that makes a difference.

They screwed mine up last year because they offered new equipment in my winback call. I agreed. They asked if I wanted to use my old equipment while I waited for new to arrive. I said of course. So reconnecting me basically wiped out the offer. It took 6-7 hours of phone calls to get them to honor a monthly credit, 3 months of the movies channels, and free Sunday Ticket. Lost out on any free equipment upgrade. Huge cluster because the retention people said they couldn't do anything and the winback people said the same. Computer system wouldn't allow them. Ball was in each other's court. I'll be so pissed if I have to go thru nonsense like that again.

cap'n grunge said:
Where were you with discounts on prior deal? I just paid month 12, the last discount month, 5 days ago. Did you pay a full bill first before disconnecting? Curious if that makes a difference.
I was at 50 off discount per month. That deal was 12 months and it was going to end next week. It may have been slightly more advantageous if I waited one more week but I will see once the dust settles on the billing. 

For those that went through with cancellation, was the equipment return process easy?
Yes it was. Received a box 3 days after canceling.  Packaged up the receivers and took the box to the post office, received a receipt so I could track the package and was done.   

The attendant originally wanted me to take the equipment to a UPS store, but I told her that there wasn't one within 45 miles of me. She then said they would send me a package for my equipment.

So NFL Network has its own red zone show?  How different is it from the tickets?  Obv it has commercials I would think.
I get redzone through Comcast. There are no commercials.

I went to my buddies one Sunday to watch his, he has directtv. Comcast's is better, he agrees

Just had my first call.  Was offered $60 /month off my bill with no additional discounts or ST throw ins.  Inquired about it and was told that the discounts "aren't available yet".  I'm technically under contract until September 12, so I will wait a little bit more until it's closer to the date.

She also mentioned that she asked around and that she heard that the ST offers will "show up" around mid-August.  I politely said I'd think about the offer and may call back later.  

My discounts run out at the end of Wednesday, 8/15 so I called the normal customer service number. They could only offer $25 off total. Politely said no so they said they could transfer me to a VIP Account Manager. All he could offer was $60 off...nothing else. Again, politely said no thanks and to schedule me for disconnect on 8/16 at midnight. Now I wait for an email or call but I'm guessing it won't happen until it is officially disconnected. Will update later.

My discounts run out at the end of Wednesday, 8/15 so I called the normal customer service number. They could only offer $25 off total. Politely said no so they said they could transfer me to a VIP Account Manager. All he could offer was $60 off...nothing else. Again, politely said no thanks and to schedule me for disconnect on 8/16 at midnight. Now I wait for an email or call but I'm guessing it won't happen until it is officially disconnected. Will update later.
You’re right Disconnect and you’ll get the whole thing. 

not under contract....Just made the yearly call....on the phone with a guy named " Evan " with a very distinct accent.....told him cancel me....he offered $ 60 a month off....that was it....

I have 8 tvs / boxes and my bill is $ 200 / month since I have all the Premiere garbage..... I set the  cancel date for 8 - 20....told him no Dodgers for 4 years and I'm tired of it....he said let me see if I can get you Dodgers!....huh?......hahahahahahaa!!!......I had to tell him they are only available on Spectrum Cable here in LA....for the last 4 ####in' years !!!!.......guess that news doesn't travel to India.....anyway, I asked for Sunday Ticket and he said no...... we set up cancellation....he said to call back if I change my mind....I said " Oh trust me,You will be calling ME back. It happens every year "

Let the games begin.............
Love it when the clearly outsourced guys in India have American first names.

8 tvs, holy moly, you must be living in one of these LA mega mansions.

I think the summary of the last few pages seems to be

- easiest to get discount if you are out of contract

- if you have credits still, let them expire before disconnecting

- within several days of disconnecting, call the win back number and then strike it rich

I have'nt set my disconnect date but having another service being installed on Saturday.  I should prolly set it up.  I hate calling DTv...

Update:  I just called and I'm assuming becasue I am still in contract, that I cannot set a cancel/disconnect date.  I have to call back on the day I wish to cancel.  They just notate the account that I will be cancelling....

I have'nt set my disconnect date but having another service being installed on Saturday.  I should prolly set it up.  I hate calling DTv...

Update:  I just called and I'm assuming becasue I am still in contract, that I cannot set a cancel/disconnect date.  I have to call back on the day I wish to cancel.  They just notate the account that I will be cancelling....
Not true. You can cancel anytime. They will try to charge you something like $20 per month left on contract though.

Called and said I'm paying too much.  He tried to talk me down to a cheaper package and I said no.  He took $45/month for 12 months.  That's all I need.

I called the main number and asked for Cancel Service. I have Xtra + sports pack. I am not in contract. I have 6 months left of $50 off monthly. The woman was very nice but she only offered another 35 off monthly. I declined and have cancellation set for Thursday.

I'll try the winback number in a couple of days.
I tried the 870  winback number ahead of cutoff and no dice. I'm not really sure what he was offering. I already have 50 off for next 6.  He was negotiating backwards from my previous bill which was high because of first ST payment. He offered me 60 off in addition to the 50 off. And then he said 12.50 off ST.  But he said my monthly bill was still 84 a month which didn't add up. 

I declined because i felt like he was playing a shell game. 

Waiting on disconnect thursday now.

I just talked to Malik also. Easiest DTV call ever. 

Choice All Included

Free Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO for 6 months (cancels automatically)

$300 VISA Giftcard

Only $24.99 a month. 

I cancelled back in February. Because they have to send me new equipment, I had to sign up for a 2 year contract. Malik told me to call back in 11 months, and they’ll reapply the discounts for the 2nd year. 
I just talked to Malik as well and was offered a similar deal. I gladly accepted. Question: How long did it take for your deal to show up on your online account? 

Users who are viewing this thread