What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

Copied last year’s playbook. 

Cancelled a few days ago

Called 870.345.3640

Told them I was weighing their service against some other providers in my area,  asked for The Big Deal w/ Visa gift cards ect...

Here is what I got..

Choice Package: 1 year contract

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

+$200 Visa GC

+$100 Visa GC

+$10 off per month (12 mo.)

+$15 off per month (12 mo.)

Monthly bill = $41.48 + tax

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked again.  12 years in a row. Called 870.345.3640 after being disconnected for less than 24 hours.

Lowered my bill to 53 a month for 12 months for choice package

All movie channels for free for 3 months

Free Sunday ticket Max

100 dollar gift card

Very happy

Copied last year’s playbook. 

Cancelled a few days ago

Called 870.345.3640

Told them I was weighing their service against some other providers in my area,  asked for The Big Deal w/ Visa gift cards ect...

Here is what I got..

Choice Package: 1 year contract

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

+$200 Visa GC

+$100 Visa GC

+$10 off per month (12 mo.)

+$15 off per month (12 mo.)

Monthly bill = $41.48 + tax
2 gift cards? Damn

I have to upgrade my internet to fiber. Has anyone gotten any discounts with that along with TV package? 
I did.   I had Fioptics internet (100/30).   They offered me a better base package than I had with Directv.  It has more channels, HBO, Sportspack (with RZC), 5 TVs (4 are wireless), whole home dvr and 500/200 internet for $128/month including tax.   They also agreed to pay my directv ETF.   

I was paying $45/month for internet and $105 for directv.   Directv was going to raise my monthly rate $55 since I wouldn’t change from Verizon to at&t for my cell phones.    

When I called to cancel they offered my the ST only for free but couldn’t budge on $55/month increase.   

Just made the annual call(s) and got a sweet deal again:

XTRA package
Free Sunday Ticket Max
$100 Visa GC
Premium movie channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax)
Sports Pack

All for $38 per month for 12 months. They said to call back next year and would happily do it again for me...anyone reading this really should follow the process :)

Just made the annual call(s) and got a sweet deal again:

XTRA package
Free Sunday Ticket Max
$100 Visa GC
All Premium movie channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax)
Sports Pack

All for $38 per month for 12 months. They said to call back next year and would happily do it again for me...anyone reading this really should follow this procedure :)
Disconnect and called back correct.

Buddy of mine just had the same success. 

1. Call 800 number, listen to offer, set cancelation for midnight.

2. Wait 12-16 hours, call number in this thread, say you missed a call.

3.  Bill went down from $120 to $30 -  Free Sunday Ticket Max, and HBO for a year.  Asked about the GC but they said that she had none left to give away.  "Each rep gets some at the beginning of the month and when they run out, they run out"   Not sure how true that is, but happy none the less.

Meanwhile no idea what's going on with my account.  I see that Sunday ticket was added.

August I paid nothing for July ($-63.52 balance)  Statement generated 7/27 - shows $65 and $47 credits month 1/12 but a bunch of other stuff.

Just logged in today and it shows negative $175.52 currently.  Will check again next week when I believe the statement generates.

Well my service was supposed to be restored by now and is still off.  Gonna have to call again and I bet they have no memory of what we talked about yesterday

need2know said:
Well my service was supposed to be restored by now and is still off.  Gonna have to call again and I bet they have no memory of what we talked about yesterday
it took forever but service is restored and it seems everything they promised is setup like they said

For those of you (like me) that don't want to go through with the 'cancel,re-join' process...

I call each year just looking to lower my costs and attempt to get Sunday Ticket for free.  Did the following today:

-        Called 1-800-DIRECTV

o   Said ‘cancel service’ at prompt

o   Asked to be transferred to customer retention (initial person was not in retention department)

-        Said was trying to get my costs down and evaluating options

-        Took a few minutes to review my account/see what offers were available and presented me with:

o   $40 off per month for 12 months without commitment

o   Free Sunday Ticket

o   $48.99 Sunday Ticket credit for what was billed this month

I accepted.  Total call time - 20 minutes.

For those of you (like me) that don't want to go through with the 'cancel,re-join' process...

I call each year just looking to lower my costs and attempt to get Sunday Ticket for free.  Did the following today:

o   Asked to be transferred to customer retention (initial person was not in retention department)

-        Took a few minutes to review my account/see what offers were available and presented me with:

o   Free Sunday Ticket

Out of contract right?

Ok well got it done again this year.  To be honest, last year I was so tired of numerous years playing the game that I paid full freight figuring I was ahead after many years anyway.  This year I used that to my advantage along with the typical "Cable wants me to switch..."  Got a nice rep at 800-Directv number who originally offered $16.50 off the Sunday Ticket per month (original ST price is $65x6= $390.  New price with $16.50 off per month was $291).  Told her that wasn't good enough.  She then added a -$15/mo on my premiere package for 6 months which was another $90 off making the package now $200.  I told her that still wasn't going to work and that I would be willing to pay $100.  She added the discounts anyway and then transferred me over to retention department when I told her I still wanted to cancel.  I asked her if this would affect what they could offer me and she said no but it actually does because the Retention Rep can't see available offers once you accept that.  In the end, it all worked out to my advantage because in addition to the above discounts (NFL ST was $200), she threw in another -$65x6 months off ($390) so after all those discounts, I actually am ahead by +$190.  Definitely worth the aggravation this year!  And the reps were very nice and much better than last couple of years where I think they were going through all the changes converting over to AT&T.  Be polite and work towards a fair deal that you and they can live with and I think you won't be disappointed.  They seem much more willing to deal this year than last year imo.  Good Luck!

Called 1-800 number and scheduled cancellation.  Then called 1-855-291-0398 and said I am pending cancellation and want Sunday Ticket free and a discount on my service.  Got $85 off a month for 12 months and Ticket for free.  

I think I'm at like 8 years in a row now.

I called and a few days ago and scheduled my disconnection, which went through yesterday. No one tried to call or email so I called the 870 number under the guise of not being able to log in to check for my final bill.

DTV rep: "This is the promotions department. I can't help you with that."

Me: "Oh, I'm terribly sorry. No idea where I got this number."

Rep: "No problem ... but may I ask why you canceled?"

Told her I was switching to Dish and she checked for promotions and offered me $78/mo. for a year + an additional $10 off for 2 months (no idea what that was about), free ST Max and $100 gift card.

Total time on the phone for both calls was less than 30 minutes.

Well, I gotta admit, I am shocked.  I acutally had another tv service (no contract) with internet installed as a backup.  $128/month (tax included) for 500MBPS download internet with an equivalent TV service as the choice pkg (w/HBO) on 5 TVs.

I finally answered the call from the 870 number.  Directv offered a deal I could not refuse...

Keep in mind, I was still in contract.  I cancelled a year early subject to the ETF ($240)...

I got the Choice All-inclusive package, whole home DVR, 5 TVs, HBO, 2 years of free STMax (2018 and 2019) for $49/month (tax included) for first 12 months.  It will inevidably go up next year but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I asked about gift cards, etc and they said they had none to offer me.  They did say next year I'd have a better shot at them since I will be out of contract.

I may just keep both.  lol  

WOW!

Well, I gotta admit, I am shocked.  I acutally had another tv service (no contract) with internet installed as a backup.  $128/month (tax included) for 500MBPS download internet with an equivalent TV service as the choice pkg (w/HBO) on 5 TVs.

I finally answered the call from the 870 number.  Directv offered a deal I could not refuse...

Keep in mind, I was still in contract.  I cancelled a year early subject to the ETF ($240)...

I got the Choice All-inclusive package, whole home DVR, 5 TVs, HBO, 2 years of free STMax (2018 and 2019) for $49/month (tax included) for first 12 months.  It will inevidably go up next year but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

I asked about gift cards, etc and they said they had none to offer me.  They did say next year I'd have a better shot at them since I will be out of contract.

I may just keep both.  lol  

WOW!
@notoriousbill So you still had a year to go and you disconnected and reconnected as a new customer for two years and they waived the early termination fee

Heck I may try that. I thought having a year to go wouldn’t work. I have 11 months to go. Still getting good discounts but would like the free ST.
Trick is, like everyone has said, is to disconnect.  They will blow your phone up the days following the disconnect.  I ignored them the first few days thinking I had to shot.  Today I answered and was surprised.  They record the calls too (you can hear the beeping), so just reiterate the deal a few times to be clear.  

Made the initial call. All they had for me was $32 a month off for all the movie channels. Have Xtra all included now that is set to go up to $131 from $77 and have been paying full cost of $54 for all the movie channels last two bills. Said that's all he had for me. Disconnect tonight. I hope I get the reconnect offers with discounts and Sunday Ticket max. Movie channel discounts would be nice too. Gift card not expecting but would be a bonus. Last year's mess of 8 hours trying to get what was promised is still irking me. Hoping for smoother time this year.

Trick is, like everyone has said, is to disconnect.  They will blow your phone up the days following the disconnect.  I ignored them the first few days thinking I had to shot.  Today I answered and was surprised.  They record the calls too (you can hear the beeping), so just reiterate the deal a few times to be clear.  
Oh for sure. The disconnect is the key in most if not all the cases in this thread. I just was surprised that they didn’t balk about you disconnecting any more than with charging you the year of ETF charges... which if you reup they always waive.

Oh for sure. The disconnect is the key in most if not all the cases in this thread. I just was surprised that they didn’t balk about you disconnecting any more than with charging you the year of ETF charges... which if you reup they always waive.
Thats' what Pissed me off most.  I told them I really didn't want ot have to go through all of the "song and dance", just give me the best deal now to avoid allof this.  They didn't.  I cancelled and now I am waiting to see how it all works out.  Hopefullyit goes smoothly and all is good.  Worst case, I am back to where I was...  

Thats' what Pissed me off most.  I told them I really didn't want ot have to go through all of the "song and dance", just give me the best deal now to avoid allof this.  They didn't.  I cancelled and now I am waiting to see how it all works out.  Hopefullyit goes smoothly and all is good.  Worst case, I am back to where I was...  
I’ll definitely be watching this one for updates hope it all works out for you 

:thumbup:

o   Free Sunday Ticket

Just did this.  Was offered pretty much the same thing.  I declined and cancelled.  I want the Red Zone and they wouldn't give it to me like last year. So I'll wait and call the other number later.

It seems Malik is full of crap. Sunday Ticket Max wasn't showing up on my online account, so I hopped on chat to get confirmation. Apparently, Malik didn't make any notes concerning STM, so they had to put in a ticket for them to contact me in the next 7-10 days. The monthly bill will be drastically reduced, but I want free STM.
Just talked to a nice lady in Idaho. She confirmed that Malik was full of crap. She took care of me though. $31.63 + tax for six months, $0 for the next six months, Free STM.

Just did this.  Was offered pretty much the same thing.  I declined and cancelled.  I want the Red Zone and they wouldn't give it to me like last year. So I'll wait and call the other number later.
Strange how different people are offered different things. Makes no sense.

I hate making the call but I did.  20 minutes and no set termination date later, I got the following:

$60/month off my $140/month bill.

Free Sunday Ticket (No Max - I can turn it on for $99)

Free HBO/Showtime/Cinemax for 6 months

Upgraded equipment for free

I know I can do better, but that's good enough for me.

I hate making the call but I did.  20 minutes and no set termination date later, I got the following:

$60/month off my $140/month bill.

Free Sunday Ticket (No Max - I can turn it on for $99)

Free HBO/Showtime/Cinemax for 6 months

Upgraded equipment for free

I know I can do better, but that's good enough for me.
WTF

Is that good or bad?

I'm a 15+ year customer who always pays on time, and think I have been paying full price for over a year, so maybe that triggered a bigger credit?  A little disappointed I didn't get Max or gift card(s), but considering how easy it was, I'm pleased.

Is that good or bad?

I'm a 15+ year customer who always pays on time, and think I have been paying full price for over a year, so maybe that triggered a bigger credit?  A little disappointed I didn't get Max or gift card(s), but considering how easy it was, I'm pleased.
That's great. My response was to the little to nothing they offered to try keep me and making me go thru disconnect hassle when they just backed up the truck for you. No rhyme or reason who gets what. Frustrating.

cap'n grunge said:
That's great. My response was to the little to nothing they offered to try keep me and making me go thru disconnect hassle when they just backed up the truck for you. No rhyme or reason who gets what. Frustrating.
I feel you on this. Last year I got s**t after getting ST Max + Red Zone for 5 years in a row.

Really not looking forward to a forced cancellation, when you lose all the saved shows on your DVR and your wife is p****d - just to get what everyone else appears to randomly get. You are messing with my domestic tranquility DTV!

I feel you on this. Last year I got s**t after getting ST Max + Red Zone for 5 years in a row.

Really not looking forward to a forced cancellation, when you lose all the saved shows on your DVR and your wife is p****d - just to get what everyone else appears to randomly get. You are messing with my domestic tranquility DTV!
DVR should be ok. At least it has been in the past.

Disconnected middle of night. Now I wait for a bit.

Not sure I understand the hesitation to disconnect that I am reading here?

All this means is they change your status to "pending disconnection". Once that takes place call the 870 number immediately, there is no need to wait.

Once you speak to that promotions team, they will give you whatever you want to reconnect and they take care of it all on the spot. No loss of DVR shows...only major cost savings and more programming than you had before!

Ps: don't settle for Sunday Ticket without the Max. You need the Red Zone and Fantasy channels, trust me!

Not sure I understand the hesitation to disconnect that I am reading here?

All this means is they change your status to "pending disconnection". Once that takes place call the 870 number immediately, there is no need to wait.

Once you speak to that promotions team, they will give you whatever you want to reconnect and they take care of it all on the spot. No loss of DVR shows...only major cost savings and more programming than you had before!

Ps: don't settle for Sunday Ticket without the Max. You need the Red Zone and Fantasy channels, trust me!
You have to actually disconnect to speak with the winback people.

Ha ha...  just realized that the 210 number from San Antonio that has called me 4 times since I disconnected yesterday is the same one that called me last year 

You have to actually disconnect to speak with the winback people.
Right, but "disconnecting" is in name form only. You don't actually disconnect and lose service. Simply say you want to disconnect 24 hours in advance, they change your status in the system and then you call promotions. No interruption in service whatsoever...

Right, but "disconnecting" is in name form only. You don't actually disconnect and lose service. Simply say you want to disconnect 24 hours in advance, they change your status in the system and then you call promotions. No interruption in service whatsoever...
Not true. You're service has to be actually disconnected for the winback Dept to offer you any thing.

Absolutely true. I have done it this way every year without fail.
You must be dealing with retentions then because the winback Dept only deals with disconnected accounts. I'd be surprised if retentions had any thing different to offer just because you set up a cancellation date. I went through this process with them last year in detail over many calls and was educated in who could do what with the customer. It's a stupid set up, but it is what it is.

Agree with you there on the stupid setup!

I called the 870 number and they said they only dealt with accounts that were disconnected or "pending disconnection". Also mentioned they were the "promotions team" and had the ability to offer the gift cards, premium channels, ST Max and where I want to be for a monthly payment. If that's the retention dept, then I am happy to deal with them :)

All good either way, I just want to see people get their best deal.

Users who are viewing this thread