What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car guys... I am befuddled (1 Viewer)

If it only happens in drive and not when the car is parked, it's transmission, hub bearing, wheel related...

If it were in the engine, it would do it in park, reverse, neutral etc.. If the noise is speed related, it's probably a bad wheel bearing and just a coincidence on the oil change.
This is good advice. If it's making that noise even at idle, and it's throttle dependant, it's likely your air filter. People are often surprised by the difference in sound a cleaner air filter can make. Either a) they knocked off a lot of summer bugs and dust and freed things up some, or b) they didn't seat it correctly and unfiltered air is getting in. Either one could make it sound a lot more aggressive.

If it's speed dependant, it's something else.
It's not speed dependent at all, it's quiet as a mouse at 80 MPH. It's only upon acceleration, and only heavy acceleration at that. If I gently bring it up to speed, it's quiet, I only hear it when I give it a decent amount of gas. I suspect the air filter. Either that or it's like Courtjester said and it will eventually just go away. It did seem somewhat quieter this morning than it did yesterday.
It's a Focus--there's no such thing as heavy acceleration. The sound you hear is your engine laughing at your attempt to turn it into a Mustang.

One time I had something done to my car at the shop and when I drove off it sounded all growly and badass. I took it back to them and turns out they had forgotten to bolt the muffler back to the headers. Not sure if/why Pep Boys might have unbolted yours to change the oil, but it's a possibility.

One of my friends is a mechanic so I asked him about it. He said if you are hearing knocking sounds, the guy in the trunk may not be dead.

Less than 60k miles? Should have a powertrain warranty - take it to the dealer.

On the side, why Pep Boys? Ford has a national offer for $39.95 for an oil change and tire rotation.

Nugget said:
Less than 60k miles? Should have a powertrain warranty - take it to the dealer.

On the side, why Pep Boys? Ford has a national offer for $39.95 for an oil change and tire rotation.
97k miles. Pep Boys was $19.99 for oil change and tire rotation, plus it's less than a mile from my office while the nearest Ford dealer is a 20 minute drive. Didn't think they could f up an oil change, but evidently I am naive.

Users who are viewing this thread