What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cardinals to host first Week 1 game since 1987 (1 Viewer)

azgroover

Footballguy
Seriously, did you know they have never hosted a week 1 game since they moved to Arizona?

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced the team's 2006 regular season schedule and for the first time since 1987, the Cardinals will open the regular season with a week one home game.

With heat no longer an issue thanks to its state-of-the-art (and air-conditioned) new home, the team will open its inaugural season at Cardinals Stadium against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday, September 10. The Cardinals are coming off a season sweep of the 49ers in 2005, though neither win took place in Arizona. The Cardinals victory came on October 5 in the NFL's first regular season game ever played outside the United States as 103,467 fans witnessed Arizona's 31-14 win at Mexico City's Estadio Azteca, the largest crowd ever to see a regular season NFL contest.

The schedule also includes a nationally-televised Monday night game from Cardinals Stadium on Monday, October 16 against the Chicago Bears. The game will air on ESPN, which is taking over the Monday night broadcast package this season, and will mark the first prime time appearance by the Cardinals in Arizona since Sunday, September 23, 2001 vs. Denver (ESPN). Last year's Sunday night Cards-Niners game in Mexico City was the team's most-recent prime time game (ESPN) and the team's last Monday night game was September 27, 1999 vs. the 49ers at Sun Devil Stadium.

The Cardinals will have the opportunity to play their way into additional prime time appearances based on the flexible scheduling model for the final seven Sunday night games on NBC (see flexible scheduling details later in this release).

Arizona will see all three NFC West opponents right out of the gate as the opener against the 49ers will be followed by a road game at Seattle in week two and a home contest vs. St. Louis in week three. Up next is a trip to Atlanta to take on Michael Vick and the Falcons in week four. Arizona will then play back-to-back games at Cardinals Stadium, first against Kansas City on October 8 and then in the Monday night match-up against the Bears the following week. That will be followed by consecutive road games at Oakland and Green Bay. The Packers game will mark Arizona's first appearance at Lambeau Field since the 1999 season and the team's first visit since it was renovated in 2003.

The bye week comes exactly at the season's midway mark and the Cardinals will return from it with back-to-back home games against the Dallas Cowboys and Detroit Lions. It will be Dallas' second visit to Arizona since realignment took the Cards out of the NFC East prior to the 2002 season, while the Cardinals and Lions are meeting for the sixth time in as many years. On November 26, Dennis Green will return to Minnesota in the regular season for the first time as Cardinals head coach when his team faces the Vikings. Green had a 97-62 regular season record as Vikings head coach from 1992-2001 and took the team to the playoffs in eight of his 10 seasons there.

Arizona will return to divisional play in December and open the month at St. Louis and at home vs. Seattle. The team will then conclude its regular season home slate on December 17 when former Cards quarterback Jake Plummer and the Broncos come to Cardinals Stadium. From there the regular season finishes with road games at San Francisco on Christmas Eve and at San Diego in the regular season finale on New Year's Eve.

TICKET INFORMATION: Season tickets for the inaugural campaign at Cardinals Stadium are on-sale now. To join the growing list of deposit holders waiting to select seats, call (602) 379-0102 or place a deposit online at www.azcardinals.com. Individual game tickets will go on sale to the general public this summer and specific details will be announced at a later date.

CARDINALS STADIUM: Recently recognized by BusinessWeek as one of the 10 most impressive sports structures in the world, Cardinals Stadium will not only feature a retractable roof but will also be the first in the United States to feature a fully retractable grass playing surface. In addition to hosting Cardinals games, the stadium will host Super Bowl XLII in February of 2008 (www.azsuperbowl.com). It will also be the annual site of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and will host the first-ever Bowl Championship Series title game in January of 2007. The stadium will have a seating capacity of approximately 63,000 with the ability to expand to 73,000 for mega-events.

FLEXIBLE SCHEDULING: In order to provide the best match-ups to fans across the nation, the NFL has instituted a flexible schedule for the final seven Sunday night games on NBC. None of the Sunday night match-ups has been announced for the games in weeks 10-15 and week 17 (there is no Sunday night game in week 16). Twelve days before each game – or as few as six days in week 17 - the league will announce its Sunday night games. For the Cardinals, this means that with the exception of the Christmas Eve game at San Francisco, every game after the week eight bye has the potential of being moved to an NBC Sunday night game.

No one wants to play in 110 degrees.

But I just picked out my season ticket seats today. Looking forward to some AC :thumbup:

Kutta,

I'll be working across the hall from you in about a month. Let me know if you need a fellow FBG to help fill those seats. :hey: I may get season tickets myself, but a mortgage will be my first priority.

But I just picked out my season ticket seats today. Looking forward to some AC :thumbup:
What Sec., Kutta? I was a first time season ticket holder last season and my appointment was at the end of February. I was able to get 4th row in the lower level family section (yeah, the corner). I can't wait till they open that place.

What Sec., Kutta? I was a first time season ticket holder last season and my appointment was at the end of February. I was able to get 4th row in the lower level family section (yeah, the corner). I can't wait till they open that place.
Blah Blah Blah......Just make sure ONE OF YOU brings the camera!

:thumbup:

We're in Section 446 Row 11, on the aisle. We are right at the 30 yard line. My buddy wanted to be close to mid field, so we got as close as we could with the 55 dollar seats.So, no booze for you at the game eh?

Kutta,

I'll be working across the hall from you in about a month. Let me know if you need a fellow FBG to help fill those seats. :hey: I may get season tickets myself, but a mortgage will be my first priority.
Very cool. You better stop by and say hi.

We're in Section 446 Row 11, on the aisle. We are right at the 30 yard line. My buddy wanted to be close to mid field, so we got as close as we could with the 55 dollar seats.So, no booze for you at the game eh?
Probably not. I tend to binge drink whenever I have alcohol. At Sun Devil, I was arriving in the area about 4 hours before gametime, getting tanked at a nearby bar (McDuffys or Sixshooters) and then using the gametime to sober up. If I do any drinking next year, it'll definitely be pregame only. I think 2007 is when the nearby restaurants and bars are supposed to open in that Westgate area. :thumbup:

They are supposed to have a big lawn for tailgaiting, so we are planning to do quite a bit of that. As the day approaches, PM me and I'll let you know where we will be. :thumbup:

I will be going to the Oct 16 Monday night game. Flying in from Oregon.Maybe I can hook up with a few of ya's.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are supposed to have a big lawn for tailgaiting, so we are planning to do quite a bit of that. As the day approaches, PM me and I'll let you know where we will be. :thumbup:

I will be going to the Oct 16 Monday night game. Flying in from Oregon.

Maybe I can hook up with a few of ya's.
:blackdot: Will do, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread