What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cat talk/advice - all meow, all the time (1 Viewer)

For you men, was getting a cat your idea or your wife’s? And for those with only cats, what led to that decision over getting a dog?

For you men, was getting a cat your idea or your wife’s? And for those with only cats, what led to that decision over getting a dog?
I just like cats. I've had a cat or cats for 20+ years. I like dogs too but have just had cats because situations have come where I end up with a cat.

We're thinking about going with a dog for our next pet, but we aren't ready yet. We also discussed the foster thing.

I got my first cat when I lived in an apartment and worked 10-12 hours shifts so dogs weren't an option

ETA- when my wife moved into my house with me she brought 2 dogs and 2 cats to go with the cat I had. Only one of those original pets (her cat) is still with us and we are up to 4 cats in total now

Thanks for the insight. Just wondered and I know people have different preferences. My allergies to cat hair made them a non starter for me. Then coupled with my disdain for litter boxes, owners who let their cats pounce on kitchen islands and put their whiskers in food, and finally the independence and general FU attitude of many cats just make them far down the list for me. But I get that there are 2 camps.

Easier to care for. Can be left on their own for a few days.
Like their independence and quirkiness. Cats can be very social or totally fine by themselves.
Not a fan of fur balls though.

Thanks for the insight. Just wondered and I know people have different preferences. My allergies to cat hair made them a non starter for me. Then coupled with my disdain for litter boxes, owners who let their cats pounce on kitchen islands and put their whiskers in food, and finally the independence and general FU attitude of many cats just make them far down the list for me. But I get that there are 2 camps.
This is exactly why cats are awesome!

Btw: This is Jaxson, our 11 yr old snow leopard bengal. Truth is…..I can’t believe he made it to another holiday as a yr ago, we thought that we had to say goodbye to him.

He was losing weight & not eating so we feared the worst & took him in to the vet. Initial lab work showed advanced signs of stomach cancer …..or possibly extreme IBS. Only way to confirm it was to undergo an invasive surgery….but with him already in a very declining health, we choose not to put him thru that & took him home so we could have a couple of days to say goodbye. 🥲. (The vet did give him a B12 & prednisone shot to make him more comfortable. )

Well, to make a long story a little shorter…it turns out that he slowly pulled thru that & has extreme IBS. Wasn’t a death sentence….but it does mean we have to give him a prednisone pill 💊each & every day & his system flares up really bad every other month.
He certainly has used up a couple of his 9 lives…..but I wanted to post the previous link for others to get a good laugh, but also to see anyone else had ever dealt with IBS in their cat 🐱 or dog 🐶??

We know prednisone isn’t great for long term use age, so it’s only a matter of time.

(And his IBS is triggered by stress…..so we really can’t have any more foster kittens in the house until further notice as he doesn’t do well when we have them. )

Last edited:
I really enjoy dogs. My BIL has a dog — great animal, super friendly, awesome to be around at our family cabin for a long weekend. And damn, dogs are so freaking demanding. Way way too much effort. I don’t want another toddler now that my kids are teenagers…..and yeah, having a dog is like having another toddler.

Cats are awesome. We have three now (long story), one that is 10 and a pair of siblings that are 1 1/2. All have different personalities, and we love them all. Zero regrets. I’ve had cats much of my life, and wouldn’t have it any other way. They leave us alone large chunks of the day, one of the three is “part dog” and thus super snuggly and friendly. He will lay on my chest for an hour if I let him. His sister is quirky and rides around on my shoulder for about 2-3 min at a clip, loves to sit in a wet sink, and plays fetch with various toys. But she also disappears for hours at a time. The old one is rarely around except for 1-2 hours in the morning and 1 hour before end of evening.

Cats can be left alone for days and days. No drama. Minimal effort from a sitter — who could literally be a 12 year-old neighbor stopping by 1x per day to feed them.

My wife and I are both unapologetically cat people. But again, we also both love dogs (in doses)……just can’t imagine owning one.

I really enjoy dogs. My BIL has a dog — great animal, super friendly, awesome to be around at our family cabin for a long weekend. And damn, dogs are so freaking demanding. Way way too much effort. I don’t want another toddler now that my kids are teenagers…..and yeah, having a dog is like having another toddler.

Cats are awesome. We have three now (long story), one that is 10 and a pair of siblings that are 1 1/2. All have different personalities, and we love them all. Zero regrets. I’ve had cats much of my life, and wouldn’t have it any other way. They leave us alone large chunks of the day, one of the three is “part dog” and thus super snuggly and friendly. He will lay on my chest for an hour if I let him. His sister is quirky and rides around on my shoulder for about 2-3 min at a clip, loves to sit in a wet sink, and plays fetch with various toys. But she also disappears for hours at a time. The old one is rarely around except for 1-2 hours in the morning and 1 hour before end of evening.

Cats can be left alone for days and days. No drama. Minimal effort from a sitter — who could literally be a 12 year-old neighbor stopping by 1x per day to feed them.

My wife and I are both unapologetically cat people. But again, we also both love dogs (in doses)……just can’t imagine owning one.
:goodposting: Dogs are too needy; I can't tolerate a pet incessantly following me around, and always begging for affection. And they can't be left alone for more than a few hours at a time. Plus, most of them smell bad, and some bark incessantly.

Really the only advantage of dogs is outdoor activity - they're great for walking, running, hiking, etc. Then again, when I do stuff outside, I'm not really a fan of working around other people's pets (or kids, for that matter).

I've had both cats and dogs as pets growing up, and my wife has brought up the idea of getting a dog someday. While I'm sure we could make it work, I'm much more content with a single cat, or maybe two.

ETA I think it may be partly an introvert vs. extrovert thing - cat people tend to be more introverted, and dog lovers the opposite, imo.

For you men.... Does anybody actually say "for you men" any more?

Love dogs. Love cats. Dogs have specific needs that living in the city in a smallish apartment we can't provide. Not going to get a dog and then put them in doggie day care all day or pay somebody else to take care of it with walks etc. Cats are equally awesome, and much less maintenance... Far better city pets.

Added 6 more to our wild cats.

I've mentioned before, we have a barn and field and woods. We're a regular spot for the Feral Cat Society folks to bring us cats they rescue.

They bring a pen and the cats and they have little styrofoam cat houses with straw, a litter box and food and water. You feed and water them and change the litter box for a month and then open the door and hope they stick around. They usually do.

We've had 12 come through over the years and 5 were still currently here. All 6 of the new ones have stayed so we're up to 11.

I can pet the OGs that have been here for a while when they are eating. But they're mostly wild.

So after 20+ years of cat ownership, we adopted a dog. She's a 5ish year old, 40 pound hound mix.

It's been so long since I had a dog I forgot what a difference it is from having a cat. We are absolutely loving it though.

Last edited:
So my wife gave one cat a bath yesterday (she smelled like litter box apparently my son hadn’t been keeping up on it)
Now our male cat is constantly growling at her (I think it’s supposed to be a growl he has really feminine sounding meows and whatnot)

Assuming it’s because she smells different and he thinks she’s an imposter or something and should subside in a few days but wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this

Users who are viewing this thread