What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrell Owens is, Among Other Things, Broke (1 Viewer)

'BRONG said:
OMG I feel horrible for hiim. Is there something we can do to help????
:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Again, how many of us grew up in harsh conditions with only a grandmother to take care of us? It is hard to feel sorry for him financially. I do feel sorry for him from an emotional/psychiatric standpoint. And i think the financial and teammate issues stem from that. :shrug:
Probably a lot more of us grew up with a grandmother under harsh conditions than signed contracts in our careers worth 80 Million dollars (and how much more in endorsement deals?). He's not the only human being to grow up in harsh conditions. He could have used his money to seek both personal and financial counseling to better himself. He didn't. He listened to the wrong people and became the poster boy for selfishness....calling out teammates, throwing fits and bestowing us with the "I LOVE ME SOME ME" garbage. I don't feel a bit sorry for him and I don't care if he was raised by wolves in Yugoslavia. Warrick Dunn's mother was murdered and he raised his family (siblings) when he turned 18. He's not broke. He also didn't run around saying "I LOVE ME SOME ME".
Point taken and well said. Good response. :thumbup: Im pretty much a pushover so I tend to feel sorry for everyone. :cry: But the Warrick Dunns of the world should definitely be celebrated.
You ever read about Vince Young's Ryan Mathews' childhood? Ooooooof.

Patrick Willis had it rough too iirc. ESPN did a piece (30 for 30?) on how bad his childhood was. Opening scene had home driving to see his brand new multimillion dollar house.

I don't understand how people are not supporting TO. He's followed a genius blueprint - run up as much debt as possible because no one will ever ask you to repay it, and remember that your resources are infinite. How could this have gone wrong?
What debt did he run up except child support obligations?
You mean other than the properties that cost $750K annually in mortgage payments? Or his part of the sports complex/bingo hall that failed?

The event in TO's childhood that I find had the biggest impact on him was when he was 11 and had a crush on girl across the street. He was made fun of by the girl's father who told him that he couldn't date her because it was his sister. His father had lived across the street and never had contact with him before or after that. No wonder he's ####ed in the head.
That was the most touching part of the story for me. Not the fact that his dad didn't care about him, but the fact that he's turned out to be exactly the same way to his kids. He has a 5 year old child he's never seen. Inexcusable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowherd said something a few weeks ago about the percentage of NFL players who are broke or convicted of a crime within three years after retiring from the NFL. I want to say it was 30 something percent. Anyone else hear that number? It was incredibly high.

I can't really feel bad for him but I wouldn't rub it in either. Bottom line is since at least college he has had everything handed to him on a silver platter (money, women, opportunity) which offsets the really tough childhood he had. Reality in the real world is a #####, TO never surrounded himself with the people that would have guided him in the right direction. For secondary and tertiary players I understand how far and fast they can fall, but I don't think there is any excuse for a superstar and sports icon like TO. About five years ago he should have been planning for his football exit, there are a lot of players who do this and then end up being even better off. All their contacts, money and influence can have them on top for two lifetimes but they will never be the person they were when they were on top.

Us normal folks making 40-90k can't put ourselves in the shoes of these super rich athletes and celebrities. I'm not defending him, but they live in a different world than most people. How the hell can you blow 80 million dollars, I have no idea. But this is very common. T.O. isn't the first, nor will he be the last. There's a story up now that Whitney Houston is 'broke as a joke.'
damn it
What?
We're not all pulling down 40k, Rockefeller.
Oh ok, i understand. I read somewhere that 45k was the national average. I was only stating that number, really. I'm a broke and jobless college student, I have no income other than what my parents give me every month or so.

Us normal folks making 40-90k can't put ourselves in the shoes of these super rich athletes and celebrities. I'm not defending him, but they live in a different world than most people. How the hell can you blow 80 million dollars, I have no idea. But this is very common. T.O. isn't the first, nor will he be the last. There's a story up now that Whitney Houston is 'broke as a joke.'
damn it
What?
Oh ok, i understand. I read somewhere that 45k was the national average. I was only stating that number, really. I'm a broke and jobless college student, I have no income other than what my parents give me every month or so.
Just messing with you. :thumbup:

I thought it was a bit over the top when the reporter asked if TO had anything he could share for dinner and then TO said no problem I'll getcha popcorn ready.

The event in TO's childhood that I find had the biggest impact on him was when he was 11 and had a crush on girl across the street. He was made fun of by the girl's father who told him that he couldn't date her because it was his sister. His father had lived across the street and never had contact with him before or after that. No wonder he's ####ed in the head.
That was the most touching part of the story for me. Not the fact that his dad didn't care about him, but the fact that he's turned out to be exactly the same way to his kids. He has a 5 year old child he's never seen. Inexcusable.
BINGO!!TO had that terrible childhood? Then he should know better. He was raised poor? Then he should have learned respect for money, and kept his eye on it. Daddy didn't do the right thing by him? Then he should have been a better daddy to his own kids, or at least not wanted to create another (or 3 or 4) fatherless child. And really, he had a overprotective, religious grandmother that raised him? Please. That's not even top 50 in the NFL for horrible childhoods. I especially love the two girls that were on his show, were trying to do another show, and cut him out. Classic. Why do I think their deciding to break from TO coincided with TO realizing he had no money?

Yep, that is where he loses any respect from me. I could overlook at the crap he talked about his coaches and teammates and stupid antics on the field, but there's no excuse for not being part of your children's life IMO.

I do not feel bad for Owens, nor does it make me happy. I think we all have pissed away some money on stupid things..the more money you have the more you piss away..it is relative. I bought a new Corvette when I was 26..still have it. Looking back it was just a horrible decision, I had two little girls and just bought a home but I grew up broke and never had anything nice and wanted to prove to everyone that I made it by getting a new Corvette. Stupid decison at the time.

When I hit 30 I stopped making foolish financial decisions..it was time to get it together.

Owens probably made the bulk of his big money at 29-35..he already had 6-7 years in the NFL to live it up..time to get safe and protect your future. Again it goes back to athletes never maturing and living in a fantasy world.

I don't understand how people are not supporting TO. He's followed a genius blueprint - run up as much debt as possible because no one will ever ask you to repay it, and remember that your resources are infinite. How could this have gone wrong?
You mean other than the properties that cost $750K annually in mortgage payments? Or his part of the sports complex/bingo hall that failed?
:lmao: What on EARTH could go wrong here?

damn it
What?
FBG average is like 190.

When he was in Dallas he lived in a really basic condo downtown. Couldn't have run him more than 2k a month. He worked out in a low-tier gym and never went out with the other players. If that is how he normally carried himself I don't see how it is possible he ran through all his cash.
The house he's living in in LA only cost him $499k. If he'd just used his "expense" strategy with his investment strategy he'd probably still be rolling in dough.I know we've discussed this in the FFA several times before. IIRC, most recently after Mark Brunell's bankruptcy. If these guys would just have gone to some reputable financial planner who'd spread the money around like we're all told to do most would be set for life and a lot would have generations of their families set. But safety with a decent return just isn't what these guys want.
It is curious indeed why so many of these cases involve the kinds of investments that shoot for the moon. I wonder if there's some sort of "go for it" mentality at work here that isn't a standard part of working schmucks like me.
This isn't unique to football players and other pro athletes, this is very common with everyday people as well.I know plenty of people who graduated college (back in the late 90's) and got nice paying jobs (for regular people) who blew all of their money too, and to this day have no real savings. Unlike pro athletes, however, they can at least work in their field for another 30+years.

Also, I'm not ashamed to admit I was pretty financially irresponsible right after I graduated. I got a small inheritance (30K) a couple months after graduating. I've got great parents. They are savvy and conservative investors that don't do anything reckless, and they preached this to me throughout my life, so I don't have the same excuse the T.O.'s of the world have.

What did I do with the 30K? Let's see:

- Paid 6K down on a car I bought for 12.3K (this actually may have been my best investment as I paid off the rest of the car in 3 years and drove it for over 8 years after that).

- Paid 4K in credit card debt (the problem with this is over 3K of that credit card debt was after I got the inheritance).

- Invested 20K in the stock market in individual stocks (This was my worst decision. The year was 1998. I had studied Buffet's way of investing and was convinced that gold would be a great long term investment, as the bull market couldn't go on forever and gold was priced very low. So what did I do? I couldn't resist the potential big returns of individual stocks, as at that time the stock market was on a crazy bull market run. I invested in Sonus, Pfizer, Level 3, Xerox, and Brigham Explorer (the only oil stock in this bunch) and bought no gold. I might have forgotten another dog stock or 2 I invested in. I lost my ### on all of those, sans Pfizer which I still hold.

What am I left with today? Some pfizer stock which is worth 2-3K (haven't looked at my statements in a while) and a newer car which I bought with the money I got for selling my old one.

I don't even want to know what 20K of gold back in 1998 would be worth today. :headbang:

Then there's the fact that I had roommates in my house for about 3 years (about a decade ago), and I was making $600/month for their rent. So I saved that cash money right? Nope. I partied all of that money away! (At least it was fun though. Much better return than my Level 3 stock :) )

There's a saying that youth is wasted on the young, and this definitely is applicable to investing. Most young people in general make poor to horrible financial decisions. By the time they learn from their mistakes (if they ever do) they've lost a lot of money and several years if not a decade or longer of positive growth from good investments.
I know you don't want to know, but just so everyone else can know: $118,000

A lot of people make poor financial decisions (hell I'm one of them). It doesn't matter if you make minimum wage or $10mil a year...there are plenty of ways to go broke.Bottom line for me is that nobody is going to write an article about one of us if we go broke.
I would. Let's schedule an interview.

If he can hang on, in 16 years he will be able to draw around 3k a month with his NFL pension (assuming my understanding of the NFL pension is correct).

oops

I can't really feel bad for him but I wouldn't rub it in either. Bottom line is since at least college he has had everything handed to him on a silver platter (money, women, opportunity) which offsets the really tough childhood he had. Reality in the real world is a #####, TO never surrounded himself with the people that would have guided him in the right direction.
:goodposting:

It sounds like he should be going first overall in the next death pool draft.

What I always wondered, you hear all about these pro athletes "being taken" for millions over millions. Are the "takers" really criminals that deserve jail time or are they just really bad financial advisors?

A lot of people make poor financial decisions (hell I'm one of them). It doesn't matter if you make minimum wage or $10mil a year...there are plenty of ways to go broke.Bottom line for me is that nobody is going to write an article about one of us if we go broke.
First off, how are you doing?

I do fee bad for the guy, but he could sell his diamonds and his real estate and possibly look for a job not in the NFL. That may be a good start.

I ain't broke. Yet.

It sounds like he should be going first overall in the next death pool draft.What I always wondered, you hear all about these pro athletes "being taken" for millions over millions. Are the "takers" really criminals that deserve jail time or are they just really bad financial advisors?
That's a good question because there does indeed seem to be an abnormally high incidence of investment fraud in the small community of professional athletes. Maybe they're targets for short-cut artists, "advisors" who are looking for the big score themselves and finding a susceptible consumer base in the pool of undereducated football/basketball/baseball players, guys who are also prone to be looking to hit home runs instead of singles.

'roadkill1292 said:
'Billy Bats said:
It sounds like he should be going first overall in the next death pool draft.What I always wondered, you hear all about these pro athletes "being taken" for millions over millions. Are the "takers" really criminals that deserve jail time or are they just really bad financial advisors?
That's a good question because there does indeed seem to be an abnormally high incidence of investment fraud in the small community of professional athletes. Maybe they're targets for short-cut artists, "advisors" who are looking for the big score themselves and finding a susceptible consumer base in the pool of undereducated football/basketball/baseball players, guys who are also prone to be looking to hit home runs instead of singles.
I think it's because they're easy marks. It's been stated before that all of these athletes have been given seminars and info about being smart with their money, investing, etc. when they first join the league. And every good agent will tell their clients to save and invest money. I think a huge part of the problem is that guys like TO, Brunell, etc. think they are being "smart" by investing, but they don't understand what's a good investment vs. bad investment, nor do they properly understand risk. So a guy like TO asks someone he trusts (his agent Rosenhaus) if he knows a good "money manager." Rosenhaus refers him to a guy, so why wouldn't TO trust him? His own agent sent him to this guy! I'm sure TO met with the "money manager" and the guy laid out some grandiose financial planning for him, then TO let him get to work. The rest is history.

'roadkill1292 said:
'Billy Bats said:
I think it's because they're easy marks. It's been stated before that all of these athletes have been given seminars and info about being smart with their money, investing, etc. when they first join the league. And every good agent will tell their clients to save and invest money. I think a huge part of the problem is that guys like TO, Brunell, etc. think they are being "smart" by investing, but they don't understand what's a good investment vs. bad investment, nor do they properly understand risk. So a guy like TO asks someone he trusts (his agent Rosenhaus) if he knows a good "money manager." Rosenhaus refers him to a guy, so why wouldn't TO trust him? His own agent sent him to this guy! I'm sure TO met with the "money manager" and the guy laid out some grandiose financial planning for him, then TO let him get to work. The rest is history.
If Rosenhaus steered him toward the guys who were responsible for the risky investments, then he certainly deserves some of the culpability here. An agent has a fiduciary responsibility to act in his client's best interests.From another perspective, however, let's say TO had placed $1 million in mutual funds one year and gotten a 6% return. It's very possible that, to a mindset of the highly compensated individual, that's chickenfeed and a return not worth his time and money (you or I, OTOH, may have been very content with this). Especially if some of his locker room buddies are bragging about their string of car washes or night clubs making a 50% return on their initial investment. These guys are hypercompetitive if nothing else.

holy ####, that happened?P.S. I invited TO to my wedding in 2005, he never replied to the invitation. It's a shame I am not getting married now, as I am sure he would have attended, if for nothing else than the free meal.

Sad if true

@EliotShorrParks: Terrell Owens and his wife are reportedly heading towards a divorce -- after just two weeks. #Eagles http://t.co/AMbZEPV4mO
Not sad at all. I loved him and how he played. I am 34 and not bankrupt. I still live in an apartment and have a job that pays the bills. If Owens is living under a bridge and has blown all of his millions, I say "#### him".

I feel some sympathy for TO. Yeah he was immature but he never had criminal trouble that I know of and the guy played with passion.

On the other hand I cant feel bad for a guy who blew a fortune and was stupid enough to knock up 4 women.

It's sad to see the WR plague hit so many players in the position. Is it because they line up wide and feel a sense of isolation from their fellow men? Is it because the moment they start to move their fellow human beings manhandle them? Is it because they are always looking over their shoulder to see what's coming at them? Certainly it seems to affect their IQ and common sense.

Sad if true

@EliotShorrParks: Terrell Owens and his wife are reportedly heading towards a divorce -- after just two weeks. #Eagles http://t.co/AMbZEPV4mO
Not sad at all. I loved him and how he played. I am 34 and not bankrupt. I still live in an apartment and have a job that pays the bills. If Owens is living under a bridge and has blown all of his millions, I say "#### him".
Owens broke is still better than what most consider broke.

I'm sure he still has money coming in and can do appearances where he can bring in at least 100k a year.

Granted for a guy who made 10's of millions he feels broke, but for a normal person he's still doing fine.

Sad if true

Congratulations?

Maybe you want to attend the first-ever Philly Sports Roast: http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/01/20/terrell-owens-returning-philly-roasted/

Sad if true

Congratulations?

Maybe you want to attend the first-ever Philly Sports Roast: http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/01/20/terrell-owens-returning-philly-roasted/
VIP tables are only nineteen fiddy.

Sad if true

Exactly.

And given that the Seahawks just won the Super Bowl, how smart do they look for chucking Owens two preseasons ago? The last thing they needed was a cancer like Owens getting inside their rookie QB's head and screwing with his progress, and now Owens is a broke ex-player, while Wilson is a Super Bowl-winning QB. That is some good stuff there. :yes:

Sad if true

Owens broke is still better than what most consider broke.

I'm sure he still has money coming in and can do appearances where he can bring in at least 100k a year.

Granted for a guy who made 10's of millions he feels broke, but for a normal person he's still doing fine.
Admittedly it's good money, but it must feel pathetic to be hustling for money based solely on your name.

Users who are viewing this thread