What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cecil Shorts wr Jax (1 Viewer)

Shorts or Nicks in ppr for my wr3????? can't decide.. I really like shorts goin against worst pass d and team will be throwing the whole game....

Shorts or Nicks in ppr for my wr3????? can't decide.. I really like shorts goin against worst pass d and team will be throwing the whole game....
Shorts has been the more consistent of the two. He's virtually guaranteed 5-70. Nicks is warming up, but I think he could hit a speed bump against the Bears. It's a coin flip with a slight lean toward Shorts.

Shorts has been the more consistent of the two. He's virtually guaranteed 5-70. Nicks is warming up, but I think he could hit a speed bump against the Bears. It's a coin flip with a slight lean toward Shorts.
I think both are very good plays this week. The Bears defense isn't what it was, WR1s are actually doing quite well against the Bears this year.

Just a head's up to Shorts owners. He needs to be monitored the next couple days.

Cecil Shorts (groin) was downgraded to out in Thursday's practice.
Mid-week downgrades are always a concern, but it's possible Shorts' absence was part of a pre-planned practice schedule. That being said, fantasy owners can't assume he will be a go for Week 6. If Shorts is upgraded to limited/probable on Friday, he can be safely plugged in as a WR3.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6602/cecil-shorts

Just a head's up to Shorts owners. He needs to be monitored the next couple days.

Cecil Shorts (groin) was downgraded to out in Thursday's practice.
Mid-week downgrades are always a concern, but it's possible Shorts' absence was part of a pre-planned practice schedule. That being said, fantasy owners can't assume he will be a go for Week 6. If Shorts is upgraded to limited/probable on Friday, he can be safely plugged in as a WR3.
thanks for the update!

This was a note from last week FWIW:

Cecil Shorts (groin) is active for Sunday's Week 5 game at St. Louis. Analysis: On paper, it's a plus matchup for Shorts. But he missed every practice this week, suggesting that he's suiting up at less than 100 percent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both are very good plays this week. The Bears defense isn't what it was, WR1s are actually doing quite well against the Bears this year.
isn't he a wr2?

I'm rolling with both Shorts and Blackmon this week, or at least sort of. We have a home field advantage rule. Each home team can pair two players at the same position. Whichever scores the higher of the two is inserted into the final lineups. Starting Marshall, Blackmon and AJ Green and pairing Shorts with Green. I could see both these guys being monsters this week...

I'm probably rolling with both Shorts and Blackmon this week.
In one league, I have Wayne, Cruz, Shorts and Blackmon for two spots.

And God help me, I'm seriously considering sitting Wayne and Cruz. :scared:
did that shorts instead of cruz thing in week 3 RN and i still have the facial twitch happening....
I didn't have the stones to go through with this. Shorts out... Cruz in. Part of the decision was a hedge, as my opponent has Eli.

RN, here's hoping by 1130 PM we will be seeing a lot of salsa dancing highlights.

saw a little grimace frm shorts last week after theTD. wonder if he tweaked it a bit more or just was sucking it up to begin with. kind of nervous about him too.

T with T said:
isn't he a wr2?
No Cruz is the slot guy, he is the best receiver but doesn't play that position

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, the Jaguars are concerned Cecil Shorts "could have fractured a rib closer towards the sternum."

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, the Jaguars are concerned Cecil Shorts "could have fractured a rib closer towards the sternum."
Shorts' injury was called a shoulder sprain when he went down in the first quarter Sunday, but it sounds more complicated that that. Anderson was told that Shorts' lung obscured the X-ray film, so he might have a CT scan on Monday. He did leave the stadium in a sling.

Just found out he got injured. I could't figure out how the Garbage Man had no catches. Was out with the fam all day and only had my phone to check stats on NFL.com.

Broken rib? We talking a week to week thing, probably out next week or two and then week to week?

Just found out he got injured. I could't figure out how the Garbage Man had no catches. Was out with the fam all day and only had my phone to check stats on NFL.com.

Broken rib? We talking a week to week thing, probably out next week or two and then week to week?
It will be a pain tolerance issue with ribs unless its in danger of piercing a lung or the heart, then expect 4-6 weeks out I would imagine. I'm not gonna play him next week unless I have to, thats for sure.

I started this ### hole over desean and lost cuz of it...what a dummy I am benching him for fear of REVIS lol what a way to lose my season and be 1-5//// a win would be great but NO had to start this fn loser. ####.. i suck this year

I started this ### hole over desean and lost cuz of it...what a dummy I am benching him for fear of REVIS lol what a way to lose my season and be 1-5//// a win would be great but NO had to start this fn loser. ####.. i suck this year
Yeah what a total **** for getting injured players should know better

No kidding. I bet he was thinking, "I'm going to skip out on this game and screw over T with T."

Here's a tip. It's not Cecil Shorts that is the jack hole here.

No kidding. I bet he was thinking, "I'm going to skip out on this game and screw over T with T."

I know it's me.... Im aware of that... Benching Desean for shorts was the jackhole move... I deserve to lose, and yes you are right it's not shorts fault... just dumb luck... Maybe that teaches everyone a lesson, don't play match ups and bench studs... I have heard that alot in fantasy circles. Just venting fanatic that's all... Bear with me I was one click away from being 1 game out of playoffs... now im destined for failure this year it seems..

i would say so....it's pain mgmt but he doesn't strike me as a tough guy... probably will sit at least a few weeks.

T with T said:
TheFanatic said:
drizzle said:
T with T said:

I know it's me.... Im aware of that... Benching Desean for shorts was the jackhole move... I deserve to lose, and yes you are right it's not shorts fault... just dumb luck... Maybe that teaches everyone a lesson, don't play match ups and bench studs... I have heard that alot in fantasy circles. Just venting fanatic that's all... Bear with me I was one click away from being 1 game out of playoffs... now im destined for failure this year it seems..
Did you know that I won only because I benched the stud that is Calvin Johnson for DeAngelo Williams?

T with T said:
TheFanatic said:
drizzle said:
T with T said:

Desean is no more of a fantasy stud than Shorts.

I understand the need to vent. Shorts leaving early yesterday was soul crushing for me on many levels. Had he left early due to his groin I'd have chalked up to playing the odds and losing. Fact he left early for another injury is just bad luck but it's not like it's his fault.

FBG really dropped Shorts far this week in their top 200 rest of season rankings, but it sounds as though he might not miss any time on the field.

Is anyone with shorter benches dropping him? I'm just curious if anyone who has any familiarity with this sort of injury thinks Shorts might be dropped for a Vereen type, or a second defense to stash for the playoffs.

I'm inclined to hold him one more week and see what he does in week seven before I agree with such a loss in value.

In an NFL heavy bye week, a player like Mike Brown warrants a look if you need a flex or filler.§

FBG really dropped Shorts far this week in their top 200 rest of season rankings, but it sounds as though he might not miss any time on the field.

Is anyone with shorter benches dropping him? I'm just curious if anyone who has any familiarity with this sort of injury thinks Shorts might be dropped for a Vereen type, or a second defense to stash for the playoffs.

I'm inclined to hold him one more week and see what he does in week seven before I agree with such a loss in value.
Yeah, I was also wondering what the reasoning could be behind that. I don't see how just this injury would drop him so far. Still seems to be in a decent position going forward.

Yeah, I was also wondering what the reasoning could be behind that. I don't see how just this injury would drop him so far. Still seems to be in a decent position going forward.
Just a guess, but...

Possible injury + return of Blackmon + not being sold on him in general.

Just a guess, but...

The ranking is a joke for a guy so minorly dinged that might play this week and who already was proven viable last year alongside Blackmon.

Shorts is a Jaguar out of Mt Union that they didn't have think much of coming into the league. Deep in their hearts they know he can't really be good.

Just a guess, but...

The ranking is a joke for a guy so minorly dinged that might play this week and who already was proven viable last year alongside Blackmon.
I agree, but I've also learned not to be too quick to fade Dodds/Henry when it comes to redraft. They're too slow to react to emerging players and treat talented unknowns too similarly to JAG schlubs IMO, but they're still right way more often than I am when it comes to short-term stuff.

Also, as far as I can tell they handle risk by slicing a % off a player's "clean" projections. So a lot of times an unexpectedly low projection is a proxy for risk rather than a "most likely" score.

I think you see it each week when players are upgraded or downgraded on the injury report, for example. You see projections bounce up and down as players go from [P] to [Q] and etc.

That's all mostly guesswork though.

Desean is no more of a fantasy stud than Shorts.

I understand the need to vent. Shorts leaving early yesterday was soul crushing for me on many levels. Had he left early due to his groin I'd have chalked up to playing the odds and losing. Fact he left early for another injury is just bad luck but it's not like it's his fault.
Desean no more a stud then shorts????? he is ranked wr1 right now pal... he's pretty studly this year it was a dumb move by myself... No if's and's or but's when justifying it... It was criminally stupid and if I do that again Im gonna take up Knitting sweaters.... Desean is no more of a stud then Shorts... LOLOLOL got a good laugh out of that one.

Rotoworld:

Cecil Shorts (clavicle) admitted Wednesday that he's still in a lot of pain.
Shorts' sprained sternoclavicular joint is stable, but playing in an NFL football game is another story. Even raising his arms above his head results in pain. At this point, we would be surprised if Shorts is able to play in Sunday's game against the Chargers. Note that Ben Roethlisberger missed three weeks with a similar injury last season. Mike Brown is Shorts' backup as Ace Sanders nurses a concussion.

Related: Mike Brown

Source: John Oesher on Twitter

I'll give you guys a hint as to why his ranking has dropped. He's the 2nd best WR on the worst team in the NFL.

For all of the people that say that Shorts is devalued because:

-Jacksonville stinks

-Gabbert and Henne are terrible

-Justin Blackmon is the number one

All of that was true last season when Shorts when went:

4/79 and 1

8/116 and 0

3/56 and 0

6/105 and 1

3/81 and 1

4/105 and 1

7/77 and 1

6/101 and 0

... in his 8 games as a starter that he was not knocked out to injury early. 7 out of 8 games he got either 100 yards or a TD(or both). In the one game he had this season with Blackmon on the other side he had 4/74 and 1. Shorts has clearly proven he can produce big time numbers on a bad team, with low level QB play and Justin Blackmon on the other side.

-Jacksonville stinks

4/79 and 1

8/116 and 0

3/56 and 0

6/105 and 1

3/81 and 1

4/105 and 1

7/77 and 1

6/101 and 0

... in his 8 games as a starter that he was not knocked out to injury early. 7 out of 8 games he got either 100 yards or a TD(or both). In the one game he had this season with Blackmon on the other side he had 4/74 and 1. Shorts has clearly proven he can produce big time numbers on a bad team, with low level QB play and Justin Blackmon on the other side.
Which begs the question, why the sharp drop in the rankings by FBGs? Would be nice to get an explanation from a staff member because the drop certainly seems irrational..

-Jacksonville stinks

4/79 and 1

8/116 and 0

3/56 and 0

6/105 and 1

3/81 and 1

4/105 and 1

7/77 and 1

6/101 and 0

Which begs the question, why the sharp drop in the rankings by FBGs? Would be nice to get an explanation from a staff member because the drop certainly seems irrational..
In the Jaguars team thread I pointed out that early this season FBGs had him ranked in the mid 40s for dynasty WRs. Since being named a starter he has put up WR1 type numbers in spite of poor QB play. For a guy in just his third season I would expect a little more love. But I guess it is hard for some people to look past how bad the Jags are and how good Justin Blackmon looks, though if you look at the production for Shorts while starting with Blackmon the numbers are very impressive.

In 9 games that Shorts started and finished with Blackmon also starting he put up 45 for 794 and 6. Prorated out to 16 games that is 80 catches for 1,411 yards and 10.6 TDs. So while injuries have been an issue and might be a concern moving forward, his numbers as a starter with Blackmon are clearly worth more attention than mid 40s in dynasty rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread