What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cedric Wilson has signed with Steelers (1 Viewer)

Did find this:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05067/467886.stm

The Steelers worked late into last night trying to sign Plaxico Burress' replacement after signing kicker Jeff Reed and cornerback Willie Williams earlier in the day.Receiver Cedrick Wilson, who had his breakout season in San Francisco last year when he caught 47 passes for 641 yards, spent the entire day and much of the evening with the Steelers as they negotiated a contract with agent Tom Condon."It always feels good to be wanted," said Wilson, 26, who believed a contract agreement could be reached sometime last night because "I am definitely interested and they are definitely interested, so let's hope so."After meeting with the coaching staff and the Rooneys, Wilson went to dinner with Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, and planned to stay in Pittsburgh last night.If they sign Wilson, it will seal the end of the Burress era with the Steelers. Wilson started 15 games for the 49ers last season before his left fibula was broken. He has been running the past two weeks and the Steelers passed him medically. He would join Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El as the team's top three receivers."I like this place," Wilson said last night. "It's a winning program. That's the No. 1 thing, I definitely want to be on a winning team."San Francisco drafted Wilson, 5 feet 10 and 183 pounds, from Tennessee in the sixth round in 2001 and he moved into a starting job last season. He could replace Burress at split end or play in the slot.

:wall: :wall: :wall: I HATE this signing.If they think they'll replace Burress with this guy, they're nuts. Wilson is a decent WR, but he won't bring the threat that Burress did. Not even close.Hines Ward will no longer face single coverage against the other team's second best corner, and the entire offense is going to lose out on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
:wall:   :wall:   :wall:

I HATE this signing.

If they think they'll replace Burress with this guy, they're nuts.  Wilson is a decent WR, but he won't bring the threat that Burress did.  Not even close.

Hines Ward will no longer face single coverage against the other team's second best corner, and the entire offense is going to lose out on this one.
Threat? What threat?The threat to catch a whopping 35 balls in a SINGLE season? The threat to average 800 yards and 4 TDs in a season? OH, I got it! The threat to spike the ball and fumble when he is not even been tackled! You must mean that kind of threat.......

I HATE this signing.

If they think they'll replace Burress with this guy, they're nuts.  Wilson is a decent WR, but he won't bring the threat that Burress did.  Not even close.

Hines Ward will no longer face single coverage against the other team's second best corner, and the entire offense is going to lose out on this one.
Threat? What threat?The threat to catch a whopping 35 balls in a SINGLE season? The threat to average 800 yards and 4 TDs in a season? OH, I got it! The threat to spike the ball and fumble when he is not even been tackled! You must mean that kind of threat.......
First, the team as a whole didn't pass a lot. In his starts with Roethlisberger in there, Burress was on a pace right around 65-1150-8, and that's DAMN good considering how little the Steelers passed the ball. Burress played VERY well this year aside from the time he missed with a hamstring injury.Second, his averages per season that you present there include his rookie season, in which he had an injured hand and barely played. It also includes his 2003 season that was a disaster for the entire offense because of an injured OL. His averages mean very little to me, because the only season he spent with a good passing attack ended with a season around 80-1300-8.

He had over 1,000 yards as a 2nd year receiver, and he has a 1300 yard season under his belt. Put him on a team that passes the ball and watch him become a star.

And the threat of Burress on the field was enough to get the attention of every defensive coordinator the Steelers played. Just him being on the field opened things up for the passing and running game. Take a look at Ward's numbers in games Burress missed.

And let the spike thing go. It's been a long time.

There is no way that they see Wilson as the #2 guy. He is a decent #3 though. This tells me they want ARE as the #2, but want another option.

Threat? What threat?

The threat to catch a whopping 35 balls in a SINGLE season? The threat to average 800 yards and 4 TDs in a season? OH, I got it! The threat to spike the ball and fumble when he is not even been tackled! You must mean that kind of threat.......
So, do you think Wilson is as talented as Burress? Are the Steelers as dangerous with Wilson in there as they were with Burress?

there was no WR in the FA pool that could take over plax's role that we could afford. all things considered, i think we did fine - a surehanded disciplined slot WR to take over ARE's slot routes and be a capable #2 if ARE gets hurt. would you rather we signed galloway or terrell?

There is no way that they see Wilson as the #2 guy. He is a decent #3 though.

This tells me they want ARE as the #2, but want another option.
I agree that Wilson probably isn't good enough to be the #2, but I'm not sure that Randel-El is either. Granted, I'm not a Steelers homer, so I haven't seen a whole lot of him. But while he's dynamite in the open field, can he be a consistent threat to get open and take away pressure from Ward?

Threat?  What threat?

The threat to catch a whopping 35 balls in a SINGLE season?  The threat to average  800 yards and 4 TDs in a season?  OH, I got it!  The threat to spike the ball and fumble when he is not even been tackled!  You must mean that kind of threat.......
So, do you think Wilson is as talented as Burress? Are the Steelers as dangerous with Wilson in there as they were with Burress?
of course the steelers lose something when they drop from plax to ARE in the WR2 role. but they dont lose too much dropping from ARE to wilson in the WR3 role.the real question to ask is:

So, do you think ARE is as talented as Burress? Are the Steelers as dangerous with ARE in there as they were with Burress?

judging by the giants game, the answer could be closer to yes than you expect.

Threat? What threat?

The threat to catch a whopping 35 balls in a SINGLE season? The threat to average 800 yards and 4 TDs in a season? OH, I got it! The threat to spike the ball and fumble when he is not even been tackled! You must mean that kind of threat.......
Wilson definitely doesn't bring variety to the table, but he does add depth at a position that the Steelers need 2 guys suited up at in order to play their game. I like the signing (if it happens) but I think the unquestionable downside is that we're running out of WR spots where we can add in a tall guy/burner to get some variety in different formations. Assuming this signing happens, Morey comes back, and Mays doesn't get a sniff higher than the low tender, that's five guys right there.

look, the steelers lost a starting WR, ILB, RG, and RT, and cut a starting CB and TE. our cap situation is not greatest. you have to cut somewhere, and i think WR2 is the place to chintz out. im not sure what those of you who are unhappy about this would do to address the WR corps other than spend on plax, mumu, mason, or porter, which i think would be an inefficient use of the little cap room we have.

So, do you think ARE is as talented as Burress? Are the Steelers as dangerous with ARE in there as they were with Burress?

I don't even think it's close. IIRC, the Giants had seconary injuries in that game. Even if that game was solely because of ARE's dominant skill, it'll take more than one game to convince me. don't get me wrong, I like the kid.....I just think he's going to be out of his element when he's not in the slot and facing your average NFL CB.

there was no WR in the FA pool that could take over plax's role that we could afford. all things considered, i think we did fine - a surehanded disciplined slot WR to take over ARE's slot routes and be a capable #2 if ARE gets hurt.

would you rather we signed galloway or terrell?
No, I think they should've found a way to keep Plaxico, ESPECIALY if his price is now coming down to a more reasonable level. This is a team ready to make another run at the Super Bowl, and the offense could not afford to lose a guy like this without any semblance of a replacement. I don't want to hear about Randle El as a #2 WR, because I don't think he's anything more than a great slot receiver. And now we have two slot receivers playing opposite Hines Ward in three-WR sets. One game against the Giants doesn't change my opinion of him in that respect, and Ward is going to find it much more difficult next year.

This move weakens all three of the Steelers' top WR positions.

look, the steelers lost a starting WR, ILB, RG, and RT, and cut a starting CB and TE. our cap situation is not greatest. you have to cut somewhere, and i think WR2 is the place to chintz out. im not sure what those of you who are unhappy about this would do to address the WR corps other than spend on plax, mumu, mason, or porter, which i think would be an inefficient use of the little cap room we have.
I understand the caponomics just fine, and you're right. But my post was directed to whoever that was above who seemed ready to dismiss plax as a 35 catch/year player, while taking a jab at something he did stupid as a rookie 5 years ago...he seems to insinuate that we are better off without him, which could not be more wrong if he ate 10 wrong pills and walked through the wrong-o-rator before posting.

So, do you think ARE is as talented as Burress?  Are the Steelers as dangerous with ARE in there as they were with Burress?

I don't even think it's close. IIRC, the Giants had seconary injuries in that game. Even if that game was solely because of ARE's dominant skill, it'll take more than one game to convince me. don't get me wrong, I like the kid.....I just think he's going to be out of his element when he's not in the slot and facing your average NFL CB.
hines ward has been working real close with ARE and you could see the difference immediate in his approach to the game. with a whole offseason to prepare for being the #2 WR with ward's direction, and his amazing football IQ, i think ARE will be better than you expect. The steelers wouldnt have shown plax no interest whatsoever if they didnt have faith in randle-el, and more i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt when they put faith in someone to step up to fill a starting role. the steelers have probably lost more starters to FA than any team in the league during the cowher era, and we have basically stayed at a high level the whole time. when you look at the players the steelers have lost in the last 10-15 years, losing plax is not as devastating as some make it out to be.

there was no WR in the FA pool that could take over plax's role that we could afford. all things considered, i think we did fine - a surehanded disciplined slot WR to take over ARE's slot routes and be a capable #2 if ARE gets hurt.

No, I think they should've found a way to keep Plaxico, ESPECIALY if his price is now coming down to a more reasonable level. This is a team ready to make another run at the Super Bowl, and the offense could not afford to lose a guy like this without any semblance of a replacement. I don't want to hear about Randle El as a #2 WR, because I don't think he's anything more than a great slot receiver. And now we have two slot receivers playing opposite Hines Ward in three-WR sets. One game against the Giants doesn't change my opinion of him in that respect, and Ward is going to find it much more difficult next year.

have you forgotten what the steelers record was without plax was last year?

They were 5-0.He played in a quarter against the Bengals (with 50 yards) and they won 19-14.

They then beat the Redskins, Jags, and Jets. In none of those games did they break 17 points after averaging over 28 points in the previous 6 games.

And they dropped 33 on the Giants without their starting secondary.

And that proves what? That the offensive production (as well as Roethlisberger's production and Ward's production) dropped SIGNIFICANTLY when Burress was out.

So, do you think ARE is as talented as Burress?  Are the Steelers as dangerous with ARE in there as they were with Burress?

He looked good against Buffalo when Plax was out also. 7-81 1 TD

remember that a lot of plax's big plays were based on play action fakes and ben creating time by eluding pressure. its not like plax was lynn swann or anything, i dont recall him making too many acrobatic plays or ankle-breaking open field moves. plax also dropped some balls that wilson/ARE would have caught. the worst that happens is that we lose the fade as a viable goal to go play and teams may cheat the safety on AREs side into the box. again, i have to repeat myself and say what reason has the steelers front office given you in the cowher era to not trust their personnel decisions?

They generally have managed the cap and FA very well. that does not mean I agree with every decision they've ever made. It also does not mean they get carte blanche to do whatever they want without me #####ing if I disagree. Here's one thing that none of you seem to be adressing. On most plays that plaxico was on the field, he faced a double team. Do you think opposing Ds are going to feel the need to double ARE or Wilson? If not (and I sure don't) then our running game takes a hit.

They were 5-0.He played in a quarter against the Bengals (with 50 yards) and they won 19-14.

They then beat the Redskins, Jags, and Jets. In none of those games did they break 17 points after averaging over 28 points in the previous 6 games.

And they dropped 33 on the Giants without their starting secondary.

And that proves what? That the offensive production (as well as Roethlisberger's production and Ward's production) dropped SIGNIFICANTLY when Burress was out.
but they still won. ben still made the game winning drive vs. jags. he still made the huge throw to mays in the jets game. and ive brought up the giants game enough. you are judging losing plax by points and yards, when i think correct measure of his importance to the team is wins.

Here's one thing that none of you seem to be adressing. On most plays that plaxico was on the field, he faced a double team. Do you think opposing Ds are going to feel the need to double ARE or Wilson? If not (and I sure don't) then our running game takes a hit.
The media started this whole "Plax is doubled on every play" last offseason. I just don't buy it. Yes, he doubled often, but I think it's more of a result of the routes he runs than his talent. Occasionally he runs a deep slant. 90% of the time it's a go route or a deep out. Defenses don't want to give up a big play or get beaten deep so they roll coverage to the deep reciever. Defenses always knew who the deep threat was because Burress wasn't asked or wouldn't run routes over the middle.

I don't understand your comments. The media didnt "start" anything, Burress saw DC on a majority of the plays. The fact that the media noticed it and talked about it doesnt mean they started it. The defenses who DC burress started it. What is there not to buy? I'm not making any comment on whether or not it was his talent or his route, but the end result was the same. If you don't have a deep threat on the field then you don't DC the reciever. ARE and/or Wilson will not draw DC on a regular basis. That means either that Hines will see DC on every play, or they can cheat an extra db up to run stuff. Either case is not good for our O.

I don't understand your comments. The media didnt "start" anything, Burress saw DC on a majority of the plays. The fact that the media noticed it and talked about it doesnt mean they started it. The defenses who DC burress started it.

What is there not to buy? I'm not making any comment on whether or not it was his talent or his route, but the end result was the same. If you don't have a deep threat on the field then you don't DC the reciever. ARE and/or Wilson will not draw DC on a regular basis. That means either that Hines will see DC on every play, or they can cheat an extra db up to run stuff. Either case is not good for our O.
Conversely, Ward sees double coverage, ARE and Wilson are up against single coverage, and ARE will perform extremely well. It isn't difficult to see 1000 yards and 6-8 TDs from ARE, with 600-800 and 3-5 TDs from Wilson.Ward might lose out, but the offense will be fine.

I don't understand your comments. The media didnt "start" anything, Burress saw DC on a majority of the plays. The fact that the media noticed it and talked about it doesnt mean they started it. The defenses who DC burress started it.

What is there not to buy? I'm not making any comment on whether or not it was his talent or his route, but the end result was the same. If you don't have a deep threat on the field then you don't DC the reciever. ARE and/or Wilson will not draw DC on a regular basis. That means either that Hines will see DC on every play, or they can cheat an extra db up to run stuff. Either case is not good for our O.
My point is...Burress isn't being double covered because he such a great talent. Which the media is leading everyone to believe. He's double covered because of the types of routes he runs.

I HATE this signing.

First, the team as a whole didn't pass a lot. In his starts with Roethlisberger in there, Burress was on a pace right around 65-1150-8, and that's DAMN good considering how little the Steelers passed the ball. Burress played VERY well this year aside from the time he missed with a hamstring injury.Second, his averages per season that you present there include his rookie season, in which he had an injured hand and barely played. It also includes his 2003 season that was a disaster for the entire offense because of an injured OL. His averages mean very little to me, because the only season he spent with a good passing attack ended with a season around 80-1300-8.

He had over 1,000 yards as a 2nd year receiver, and he has a 1300 yard season under his belt. Put him on a team that passes the ball and watch him become a star.

And the threat of Burress on the field was enough to get the attention of every defensive coordinator the Steelers played. Just him being on the field opened things up for the passing and running game. Take a look at Ward's numbers in games Burress missed.

No, Wilson is probably not as good as Plax, but I still won't miss him. He's a head case, a looser, and a good riddance.As for your GENEROUS tally of his hypothetical stats - I'll stick to my numbers based of actual history - thank you. Yes, we have to count the unproductive years and games too. Sorry, but thanks for playing.

Regarding the spike fumbles - I shouldn't have to tell you that this happened not once, nor twice, but 3 freaking times. Plax may be a physical speciman from the neck down, but from the neck up he is the freakin rainman.

Again, good riddance.

Regarding the spike fumbles - I shouldn't have to tell you that this happened not once, nor twice, but 3 freaking times.
:confused: I think I've seen every Steeler game in the last 8 years and I only remember once during his rookie year.

I HATE this signing.

No, Wilson is probably not as good as Plax, but I still won't miss him. He's a head case, a looser, and a good riddance.As for your GENEROUS tally of his hypothetical stats - I'll stick to my numbers based of actual history - thank you. Yes, we have to count the unproductive years and games too. Sorry, but thanks for playing.

Regarding the spike fumbles - I shouldn't have to tell you that this happened not once, nor twice, but 3 freaking times. Plax may be a physical speciman from the neck down, but from the neck up he is the freakin rainman.

Again, good riddance.
Wanna see how badly his rookie season skews his average numbers?4.05 catches

65.9 yards

0.37 TDs

These are Plaxico's per game averages counting every year but his injury plagued rookie season. That equates to a 64-1050-6 season. Considering the offenses he's played on, I'd say that's pretty solid production. At QB, he's had Kordell and Maddox for over 80% of his games.

The way he played when healthy in 2004 when he had a strong-armed QB for the first time in his career isn't hypothetical. He played great last year, but you'd never know it from looking at his stats.

And the way he played in a passing attack that was more wide open in 2002 isn't hypothetical either. Neither is having over 1,000 yards as a 2nd year pro in 2001.

You can factor in a meaningless rookie season if you want. You can also just look strictly at the numbers in any way you want to. I'd rather look at the reasons for the numbers he put up given the circumstances he was playing under.

And I don't remember any other spike fumbles other than the much publicized one from his rookie season. If you don't like him, fine, just don't don't discount how much of an impact he's had on Ward, Roethlisberger, and the running game.

I think the Steelers are following the Patriots model. Wilson and Randle-El are much like Troy Brown, David Patten, etc. No need to spend big money on a #2 WR if you can find 2-3 guys to fill that void. Kiper's 2005 Free Agency Data Sheet has Cedrick Wilson rated as the 7th ranked FA WR. Kiper says of him, "Ideally suited to be a #3 wideout."My guess, Randle-El's contract is up after this year. Randle-El is the #2 WR this year. The Steelers draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round this year and groom him to be the #2 if/when Randle-El leaves. Wilson would be signed only as the #3 WR.

I think the Steelers are following the Patriots model. Wilson and Randle-El are much like Troy Brown, David Patten, etc. No need to spend big money on a #2 WR if you can find 2-3 guys to fill that void. Kiper's 2005 Free Agency Data Sheet has Cedrick Wilson rated as the 7th ranked FA WR. Kiper says of him, "Ideally suited to be a #3 wideout."

My guess, Randle-El's contract is up after this year. Randle-El is the #2 WR this year. The Steelers draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round this year and groom him to be the #2 if/when Randle-El leaves. Wilson would be signed only as the #3 WR.
:goodposting: This is what I was thinking all along. Nevertheless, if Burress is willing to sign for $3-4 million per, I think the Steelers might have wanted to pursue it a little bit more...

Do you think 5'9" ARE running the same routes will get doubled?
At times, yes. As much as Burress, not likely. They have the opportunity to have ARE run more different routes than Burress. Causing secondaries to be unsure who the deep threat will be. Possibly getting more single coverage and confusing secondaries. Will the Steelers do that? I don't know. I hope so, but we'll see.

I think the Steelers are following the Patriots model. Wilson and Randle-El are much like Troy Brown, David Patten, etc. No need to spend big money on a #2 WR if you can find 2-3 guys to fill that void. Kiper's 2005 Free Agency Data Sheet has Cedrick Wilson rated as the 7th ranked FA WR. Kiper says of him, "Ideally suited to be a #3 wideout."

My guess, Randle-El's contract is up after this year. Randle-El is the #2 WR this year. The Steelers draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round this year and groom him to be the #2 if/when Randle-El leaves. Wilson would be signed only as the #3 WR.
Randle-El has been such a great team guy for them...never complaining, always making plays when given the chance and he does what is ever asked of him.I'd bet money they try to keep him on board.

now that its done i want to go on record saying it is an excellent signing, probably best fit of the entire FA WR pool for the steelers #3 WR role. i still think that the options for the #2 WR role were too expensive, and that focusing on filling the #3 and moving ARE to #2 were the right moves. a guy like galloway might have been interesting for the stretch the field speed game, but wilson should play a stokley like role for us, picking on the nickel back on 3rd downs, and otherwise providing steady productive play - dropping very few balls and also being exactly where ben expects him to be, and like ward and ARE, setting an excellent example for the lesser WRs like mays and morey to work towards.

:wall: My opinion is already on the record.Hines Ward's production will suffer because of this.The running game will suffer because of this (and losing 2/5 of the offensive line).All 3 WRs positions will be weaker in 2005 than they were in 2004. (Burress/Ward/ARE compared to Ward/ARE/Wison)Roethlisberger lost his big play receiver, and he won't have one in 2005.The Steelers are going to have to depend even more on their defense next year.

Welcome to double teams, Mr. Ward.

That's one more guy to avoid like the plague in fantasy drafts.
As much as I hate to say it, you're right. Ward drops significantly on my board unless the Steelers draft/sign an absolute burner that can draw attention deep.

As much as I hate to say it, you're right. Ward drops significantly on my board unless the Steelers draft/sign an absolute burner that can draw attention deep.
You mean with all his production the last few years he wasn't already getting double teams.

:wall: :wall: :wall:

I HATE this signing.

If they think they'll replace Burress with this guy, they're nuts. Wilson is a decent WR, but he won't bring the threat that Burress did. Not even close.

FF-wise, I love it and can finally draft Ward again. Not that the Steelers will pass the ball more, but at least a larger share will go to Ward. I can't see how it helps the Steelers much though.

You mean with all his production the last few years he wasn't already getting double teams.
I don't see how his value can go anywhere but up, unless you think he's going to get triple-teamed this year. Ward flat-out gets open and without a very good receiver on the other side to take away his passes, I look for him to be targeted a lot more. He won't be a deep threat but look for his number of catches and (hopefully) his TD's to go up.

Not that the Steelers will pass the ball more, but at least a larger share will go to Ward.
Xmy 2¢:

• Overall the Steelers passing numbers go down

• Hines ward will have a good, but unspectacular season (70/1000/6) -- I drop him out of the top fifteen fantasy WRs.

• ARE's numbers will go up.

• Wilson will have #s similar to AREs stats over the past couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread