What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cell Phone addiction thread (1 Viewer)

Like most people, my phone has become a one stop for everything.   One thing I did end up doing is organizing it, so all the annoying stuff isn't on the main screen.   My home screen now is just basic stuff - podcast app, spotity, phone, camera, alarm.  Next page is internet, email, other apps that I would poke around with, and then I buried in another page in folders stuff like FB, DK, Netflix, etc that would distract me the most. 

Sounds silly,  but I realized that I would check everything if I checked one thing and just blindly sit on my phone a bit too much.  When they were on the main screen.  
:thumbup:

I went even further on de-cluttering my home screen on my phone...

I have weather as the background and the only apps are: Outlook (work),  Message App and Camera Icon.. That's it..
Have to swipe to next page to see anything else.

:thumbup:

I went even further on de-cluttering my home screen on my phone...

I have weather as the background and the only apps are: Outlook (work),  Message App and Camera Icon.. That's it..
Have to swipe to next page to see anything else.
Nice.  Makes a bit of difference when you have to dig a little for some apps.  

My problem is when I dont have anything scheduled. When I am in structure I rarely look at it. I have all notifications deactivated except for text (sometimes I will activate email) and it's always on silent. I rarely check it. 

If I dont have any plans though? Never put it down, kinda like the last two days since work has been closed. I need to work on that. 

Of course
:lmao:   I know but I don't care.  My kids got me started.  Honestly - to the point of the thread it's one of the reasons why I'm on it at random times. 

I don't check mine at night but I do charge it on the nightstand.  Typically I'm reading it right before I put it on to charge and it's the first thing I do after I wake up (check weather and email and FBG).  I'm torn - on one hand I know I'm addicted but I don't feel it's unhealthy at this point.  Although I definitely do some of the things like have it out while eating. 

Good thread and will definitely be thinking about changing some habits.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I dont see these as bad things.  What else are you supposed to do when waiting for people?
When in such a situation I'll use that time to respond to email rather than immediately upon receipt. If I respond to email immediately I will never accomplish anything but writing emails. I generally check work email 3x per day - beginning of day, before lunch, and end of day. 

I dont see these as bad things.  What else are you supposed to do when waiting for people?
Agree - I don't think it's black and white on how "bad" it is.  Using it while driving - 100% bad.  What's the difference if I'm sitting listening to the radio, reading a book or on my phone?

Another thing that will make this tough.  For my work people get in touch with me through texts at least a few times a week and I have systems I'm responsible for - if there's an urgent issue I'm getting a call/text so I kind of have to read my texts when they come in.

When in such a situation I'll use that time to respond to email rather than immediately upon receipt. If I respond to email immediately I will never accomplish anything but writing emails. I generally check work email 3x per day - beginning of day, before lunch, and end of day. 
That brings up a point that's going to different for everyone which is whether you do a lot of email/texting for work.  I dont really have to respond to emails for work so phone use is strictly leisure.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree - I don't think it's black and white on how "bad" it is.  Using it while driving - 100% bad.  What's the difference if I'm sitting listening to the radio, reading a book or on my phone?
My thoughts exactly.  There are plenty of examples of a phone problem, but I dont see that as one of them.   An example from my kids bball game last night is the parents on the phone when the game is going on.   If you cant put down the phone for 45 minutes to watch your kid play, I think you may have a problem.  

That brings up a point that's going to different for everyone which is whether you do a lot of email/texting for work.  I dont do any so phone use is strictly leisure.  
Oh yeah, have to take it in your own world's context. My cell is shared with co workers but only for communicating things like sick days, running late, etc. Everything is done via email and there's no expectation in doing any work outside of business hours so it doesnt need linked to my phone. 

My thoughts exactly.  There are plenty of examples of a phone problem, but I dont see that as one of them.   An example from my kids bball game last night is the parents on the phone when the game is going on.   If you cant put down the phone for 45 minutes to watch your kid play, I think you may have a problem.  
That actually reminds me of another habit people have that I don't think has been touched on in here or in the survey.  People aren't staying in the moment a lot of the time - it used to be if you were at a game or sightseeing or something happens that you would pay attention and then everybody would line up for a picture or two and then that's it.  Now people are live streaming, recording videos of altercations, taking selfies, etc.  and missing out on living life.  I don't quite see it as the downfall of society but I do think it is something that causes real problems.  In the thread I started about Hacking of the American Mind the author talks about the reasons why we do that - it's a dopamine release.  That's the addiction part - and it leads to a lot of bad things.

I never thought it was a big deal either.  But watch that video and there are some good points made.  And, if I'm being honest, if I have a little down time, I'm reflexively reaching for my phone to check/read something without even thinking about it and certainly not because I have to.  If I don't have my phone, I'm wondering where it is.  THAT, I think, is the problem. 

• Smile
That actually reminds me of another habit people have that I don't think has been touched on in here or in the survey.  People aren't staying in the moment a lot of the time - it used to be if you were at a game or sightseeing or something happens that you would pay attention and then everybody would line up for a picture or two and then that's it.  Now people are live streaming, recording videos of altercations, taking selfies, etc.  and missing out on living life.  I don't quite see it as the downfall of society but I do think it is something that causes real problems.  In the thread I started about Hacking of the American Mind the author talks about the reasons why we do that - it's a dopamine release.  That's the addiction part - and it leads to a lot of bad things.
Another example that I see mentioned a lot and one which has applied to me at times is not being un the moment with your family.   If I'm at home with the kids and they're trying to tell me something and im too busy reading something on the ffa, that is no bueno.

A good tip I received one time was to turn off the notifications on your phone. Especially the one tied to email. I'm the type of guy where if I see that 1 pop up that there is an email I'll immediately want to check that email.

Worked wonders. 

I never thought it was a big deal either.  But watch that video and there are some good points made.  And, if I'm being honest, if I have a little down time, I'm reflexively reaching for my phone to check/read something without even thinking about it and certainly not because I have to.  If I don't have my phone, I'm wondering where it is.  THAT, I think, is the problem. 
If I'm wondering where mine is, it's almost entirely bc I'm worried that I lost it.  The cheap mofo in me doesn't want to buying a new one.  

A good tip I received one time was to turn off the notifications on your phone. Especially the one tied to email. I'm the type of guy where if I see that 1 pop up that there is an email I'll immediately want to check that email.

Worked wonders. 
So you don't get notifications when others give you kudos on Strava?  Noted.

I do feel a little anxiety when I am without my phone for an extended time.  Not because I feel I need it for anything in particular, but I worry my wife or kids are trying to contact me.  I've missed messages before and it pisses them off.  I also have elderly parents and would hate to be out of contact if they needed me for something.   
This is kind of a corollary issue to all this.  I don't look at my phone much at all in the evening. If I'm over at a neighbors watching a game or having a beer,  walking the dog or similar stuff, I'll almost never have my phone with me.  When I'm out, its in my wife's purse or in my jacket.  The problem with this is that  it pisses off my friends and family who expect instant replies.  Most of them just call or text my wife if  they need to get a hold of me.  We have this fear that we're going to miss an emergency or something if the phone is not in our hands at all times.  I guess I can understand that, but I don't think its a realistic fear - more an excuse imo.

So you don't get notifications when others give you kudos on Strava?  Noted.
It fell with my notification purge. I usually only open the app and see what others did immediately before or after my workout. 

• Smile
Has anyone started using the screen time feature on the iphone?  I was scared too, but I wanted to know.  

Over the last 7 days I pick up my iphone an average 67 times per day. Spend an average of 2 hours 13 minutes a day.  Reddit and Twitter being the biggest reasons.  After that its spotify and texting.  

That doesn't seem too bad.  I have made a very conscious effort over the past year to not pick it up first thing in the morning and to put it away when I get home in the afternoons.  

• Thanks
This is kind of a corollary issue to all this.  I don't look at my phone much at all in the evening. If I'm over at a neighbors watching a game or having a beer,  walking the dog or similar stuff, I'll almost never have my phone with me.  When I'm out, its in my wife's purse or in my jacket.  The problem with this is that  it pisses off my friends and family who expect instant replies.  Most of them just call or text my wife if  they need to get a hold of me.  We have this fear that we're going to miss an emergency or something if the phone is not in our hands at all times.  I guess I can understand that, but I don't think its a realistic fear - more an excuse imo.
Yep, I think my friends have adapted to my slow response times, but my parents sure haven't. If it's an emergency, call. If it isnt then text. I may not reply for a while, especially if it requires more than a few words, but it's because I'm not spending my time consumed with my phone. 

Another thing that will make this tough.  For my work people get in touch with me through texts at least a few times a week and I have systems I'm responsible for - if there's an urgent issue I'm getting a call/text so I kind of have to read my texts when they come in.
Set your work folks to a different text alert sound.

That's interesting - I'm in the habit of ALWAYS taking it with my logic being if I need to get in touch with someone or if they need to get in touch with me.  With 4 kids it happens more than I'd like - usually for dumb stuff but it happens.  I definitely see a person's family and work situation playing a key role on whether they keep in on them at all times.  Right now - both of those cause me to keep it on me all the time.

I can definitely do better with this.

I took a first step and I deleted Facebook from my phone back in October.  Was the best decision I ever made and I don't regret it one bit.  I didn't spend an inordinate amount of time on the app, but it's time that I get back that I'd have otherwise wasted.  And I've found that my mood has been better.  Probably because I'm not reading everyone's opinions about everything.

That's interesting - I'm in the habit of ALWAYS taking it with my logic being if I need to get in touch with someone or if they need to get in touch with me.  With 4 kids it happens more than I'd like - usually for dumb stuff but it happens.  I definitely see a person's family and work situation playing a key role on whether they keep in on them at all times.  Right now - both of those cause me to keep it on me all the time.
This is me. 

Much like what others have posted here, I've rationalized it with the same thinking.  What if my wife needs to get a hold of me? 

But is it just an excuse for a behavior that simply isn't necessary?  As has been mentioned, I don't think it's black and white.  But if I'm truly being honest with myself, I do think it's an excuse to rationalize an addictive behavior.  If I didn't do it, things would be just fine as well. 

I mean, this right here is crazy.

And I think more of us have a "problem" than we realize.  If you asked me to leave my phone somewhere and go without for a week (and assuming there was another way to get a hold of me if there was an emergency with family), I would truly have a difficult time doing that.  I mean, I went to Alaska a couple summers ago and had limited service and thoroughly enjoyed my vacation.  Rarely used my phone.  But it was still with me.  We'd hit a port and I'd check email, surf for a bit, then put it away.  And I'd be lying if I didn't think about getting to connect briefly when our ship would get on land. 

I realized I had a problem when I got a text while taking a leak.  Since the phone was in my pocket, I instinctively checked the text as I was doing my business.  I immediately thought "WTF am I doing???"  Luckily (or maybe not) I didn't drop it in the toilet.  :bag:  

Here is the tough part for me to "qualify".

I'm not addicted to my phone BUT now instead of picking up a magazine, I have them on my phone, same with music, TV shows etc.

So while I'm not answering emails , texts , Facebook, etc it is used for other activities I didn't use my phone for.

I don't freak out if I forget it, I don't use it at my kids games.  I actually get in arguments with my wife as I want to enjoy whatever we are doing and she is taking pictures....

I can easily go without it,  but it’s my entertainment center really. I walk the dogs, I take my phone. I’m not on it texting or chatting, but it’s the current version of a Walkman or whatever and I listen to podcasts on it.  I sleep with it on my nightstand, but not because I suddenly want to text or anything, it’s my alarm clock.  I take it with me for meetings, but I’m definitely not surfing while in the meeting but I may need the calculator for a quick pull. 

Theres too many functions for me to completely do away with it - I’d say 5% of my usage is actual calling and texting, and the other 95% is using it for functions of items I’ve replaced. 

The last two posts really touches one why it's complex.  We've taken multiple things and combined them in to one.  A phone is now:

• Communication device - phone calls, texts
  • Entertainment - movies, YouTube, Netflix - it's a TV in your pocket
  • Books/Magazines
  • Calendar/Email - your daily planner
  • Newspaper - Sports/News/Weather
  • Camera
  • Social Media - this is a new phenomenon but just adds to it
  • And more

If you saw someone sitting at a restaurant reading a paper you wouldn't think much of it.  If you see a person out with a camera it's no big deal.  We've just made these devices so powerful and convenient that we are dependent on them.

The last two posts really touches one why it's complex.  We've taken multiple things and combined them in to one.  A phone is now:

• Communication device - phone calls, texts
  • Entertainment - movies, YouTube, Netflix - it's a TV in your pocket
  • Books/Magazines
  • Calendar/Email - your daily planner
  • Newspaper - Sports/News/Weather
  • Camera
  • Social Media - this is a new phenomenon but just adds to it
  • And more

If you saw someone sitting at a restaurant reading a paper you wouldn't think much of it.  If you see a person out with a camera it's no big deal.  We've just made these devices so powerful and convenient that we are dependent on them.
If I saw someone sitting by themselves at a restaurant looking at their phone I think nothing of it. If I see a group of people and they are all looking at their phones (reading their own newspapers), different story. I think I do a very good job in such a setting never looking at my phone. When I'm not with my wife she does a great job of not messaging me too. I try to return the favor. 

If I saw someone sitting by themselves at a restaurant looking at their phone I think nothing of it.
Agree but Ward Cleaver sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper wouldn't get the same reaction from folks as me sitting at the table reading my phone.

Agree but Ward Cleaver sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper wouldn't get the same reaction from folks as me sitting at the table reading my phone.
Probably because they'll (wrongly?) assume you're not reading news. I don't do it because I think it'd lead my kids to use their screen in such a setting. They sure aren't using it for news. 

I use a mobile phone for calls and flight information when travelling.  Otherwise, never really touch it.

I'm too #### old.

Probably because they'll (wrongly?) assume you're not reading news. I don't do it because I think it'd lead my kids to use their screen in such a setting. They sure aren't using it for news. 
Yep, i do worry about the example I set.  My kids are on their's all the time - but they are also well-adjusted and have good social skills.  Good students and don't get in to trouble.  When I was a kid I was most likely a booger eating dope who played video games too much - granted I want them to exceed what I've done in life but I've done ok for myself.  I do make everyone put the phone away when we are all eating together (most of the time).

One of the things I have been trying to increasingly use mine for is reminders and lists. I starting to a bit of a memory issue (related to seizures) so I like being able to put something in a list to remind me tomorrow to do something. (Keeps the wife from getting toooo angry with me on some stuff!!!) My wife isn't too thrilled with Alexa-like devices yet, so this is what I'm working with.

On a separate, but related issue, what do people think about using a smartwatch? I recently got an iWatch, and I don't use it for a whole lot yet, but like that it is connected to my phone, so I can quickly look at texts, or other announcements without even carrying around my phone while I'm in the house. Can't play games and such, so it keeps me away from that sort of thing, while retaining some of the beneficial sides of the smartphone.

One of the things I have been trying to increasingly use mine for is reminders and lists. I starting to a bit of a memory issue (related to seizures) so I like being able to put something in a list to remind me tomorrow to do something. (Keeps the wife from getting toooo angry with me on some stuff!!!) My wife isn't too thrilled with Alexa-like devices yet, so this is what I'm working with.

On a separate, but related issue, what do people think about using a smartwatch? I recently got an iWatch, and I don't use it for a whole lot yet, but like that it is connected to my phone, so I can quickly look at texts, or other announcements without even carrying around my phone while I'm in the house. Can't play games and such, so it keeps me away from that sort of thing, while retaining some of the beneficial sides of the smartphone.
I manage a restaurant, and the watches are a pain the ### right now.  We dont allow phones on the floor, so now employees are rocking these and checking their texts up front.  

My wife got one for running purposes, but admittedly uses her phone too much at home. This has helped curb that some. When she gets home she puts her phone in our room and if something urgent pops up she is aware via her watch. But can more easily ignore things like group texts with co workers and email advertisements about retail she doesnt need until after small humans are in bed. 

My wife got one for running purposes, but admittedly uses her phone too much at home. This has helped curb that some. When she gets home she puts her phone in our room and if something urgent pops up she is aware via her watch. But can more easily ignore things like group texts with co workers and email advertisements about retail she doesnt need until after small humans are in bed. 
I've found the same.  That's part of what has started this for me.  I try to keep my phone elsewhere now and I can see calls on my watch.  For the reason alone I've become a big fan of it.

I'm not a complainer about this site, but I really think it would be best to remove the "like" function here.  I'm sure everyone has read about how that affects our website addiction, rewarding us, stimulating the endorphins (??) or some such.  I really believe it is a negative on this internet in general, encouraging a pack mentality and feeding an addiction.  Of course, from your perspective as an owner, I suppose anything that drives more traffic is good and I can't disagree with that. I'm not on facebook and mostly just lurk on twitter and reddit, so this whole "like" thing was new to me. Its been somewhat of an eye-opener. 

NOTE TO EVERYONE: PLEASE DON'T "LIKE" THIS POST!

You probably would if they were dining with others.
Maybe but I’m not sure - I vividly remember watching shows like Leave it to Beaver and Ward would sit and read the paper at the table. I’m not advocating sitting with folks and reading your phone - I’m more just saying it’s something that has existed for a while once we introduced written text and has only gotten worse.  I still say phones and tablets are a net positive but I do think people need to be aware of what they are doing.  I think some of the “rules” people are implementing is a good way to balance.

I'm not a complainer about this site, but I really think it would be best to remove the "like" function here.  I'm sure everyone has read about how that affects our website addiction, rewarding us, stimulating the endorphins (??) or some such.  I really believe it is a negative on this internet in general, encouraging a pack mentality and feeding an addiction.  Of course, from your perspective as an owner, I suppose anything that drives more traffic is good and I can't disagree with that. I'm not on facebook and mostly just lurk on twitter and reddit, so this whole "like" thing was new to me. Its been somewhat of an eye-opener. 

NOTE TO EVERYONE: PLEASE DON'T "LIKE" THIS POST!
I see this all beginning with the sociological impacts of both parents working or single parents in conjunction with a tv in every household. Late baby boomers and early gen x era. Tv as a teacher and babysitter. This and larger classrooms led to children receiving less attention than ever before. This has evolved into a population that craves attention and acceptance on a very primal and subconscious level. You are justified in viewing the exploitation of this as a negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good topic.

Scored a 6 on the test. Couple of the questions people with real problems wouldn’t know how to answer though.

Tough one because so much work is tied to my phone. Definitely use it when I shouldn’t though.

Only thing that helps me is I’m pretty militant about not having updates pushed to my phone except for useful things like appointment reminders, flight updates, etc.

None of that social media stuff. That would probably drive me insane.

To scenario people have brought up where you just see people sittting in groups all doing #### on their phones. That irritates me. I do make it a point to put phone away when with other people. I get it if you are texting something urgent but if you are commenting on Instagram or whatever, that’s rude as hell. 

I turned off all notifications except texts and my phone and deleted the Facebook app. It has helped but still find myself just randomly picking it up. 

Cell phone aren't allowed in the building in which I work.  Each AM I turn on call forwarding, and try to remember to turn it off when I pick it up on the way out.

That plus being in my late 40s means I have a pretty tepid relationship with the thing.  Scored a 1.  Yay me.  Actually for an engineer I'm really dumb at cell phone use.  There is probably a lot of cool stuff I should be aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread