What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chad Johnson Pats His Attorney's Behind -- Judge Not Amused (1 Viewer)

The judge is supposed to uphold the law, not "send a message" because she is upset that someone upstaged her.
Do you think 30 days in the pen is reasonable for a man who physically assaulted his wife and then violated his probation?
sure, but the point is that the judge didn't think so. She was ready to accept the terms of the deal.

So really its:

a man who physically assaulted his wife and then violated his probation gets probation.

a man who physically assaulted his wife and then violated his probation and then slaps his attorney's butt gets 30 days.

Just. Wow.COCDFJ didn't get jailed for a butt slap. He tuned up his wife at the time, and got off with probation for it. Then he violated that probation and got a second break in that instead of going to jail for both commiting physical violence on the woman and then failing to comply with the assigned probation, he got a huge break and only got the probation extended a whole 3 months.How does he reward the judge for agreeing to that leniency? By committing an act of self aggrandizement and abject stupidity before the judge, no even before the judge accepted the agreement no less. The judge responded appropriately to his wanton display of yet more incredibly poor judgment and sent him a message that he had committed more cumulative stupidity than the court would tolerate and that there were consequences attached.COCDFJ earned every day in jail all by himself despite getting multiple breaks in this from the system. He clearly couldn't control himself and the judge simply responded to that obvious lack of control. Good riddance.
The judge is supposed to uphold the law, not "send a message" because she is upset that someone upstaged her.
Judges have leeway on sentencing for a reason. It is ENTIRELY within the purview of a judge to make JUDGMENTS on how a guy is handling/presenting his admittance of guilt, and to determine whether the terms make sense or not. Before antics, the judge MIGHT have determined that the deal she was considering was reasonable. After antics, not so much.

Now do I think that little pat should have been weighted so heavily? Maybe not, hard to say - it certainly didn't LOOK like a big deal. But to suggest that it's not a judge's role to determine how to sentence a guy based on his demeanor (among a million other things) is way off base. That's one of the main reasons she is there.

The Ocho team presented a deal they had negotiated, which looked "pretty sweet" to the judge as it was. After commenting on this, Ocho proceeds to clearly make a very small joke based on that comment. Upon seeing this, the judge determines Ocho is not really taking his admission seriously and weighs it in to her decision, which she seemed to already be on the fence about. So the pat could just be viewed as the straw the broke the camel's back you know? Just one tiny little piece of "evidence" that the judge used to break a "tie".

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I agree; the judge overreacted. And I said that after seeing the video, but Chad brought it on himself. If I am going to court and gonna get a plea deal that allowed me to receive zero prison time despite hitting my wife and violating my probation, I'd show up wearing a suit and tie (not an untucked shirt) and acting as remorseful and respectful as possible. Judges are known to flaunt their authority if you act out at all, so the best thing to do is give them nothing. Dress nice, speak only when spoken to, don't do anything stupid (like smack your attorney on the butt) and thank your lucky stars you got a great plea deal.

Do you think 30 days in the pen is reasonable for a man who physically assaulted his wife and then violated his probation?
sure, but the point is that the judge didn't think so. She was ready to accept the terms of the deal. So really its: a man who physically assaulted his wife and then violated his probation gets probation.a man who physically assaulted his wife and then violated his probation and then slaps his attorney's butt gets 30 days.
Or maybe it's "guy beats his wife, manages only probation, violates probation, judge bends over backwards in effort to spare perpetrator jail time" = more probation. Then all of the above, but add "then defendant again acts stupidly and disrespects the system yet again with an overt celebration in front of the court, upon which judge thinks better of her extraordinary leniency and puts the woman beater where he belongs for 30 days".But you're so invested in COCDFJ getting abused by this judge that you are completely willing to overlook all contributing factors.Rule 1 in criminal courts: when getting treated with kid gloves don't piss off the judge with amazingly thoughtless decorum - especially not if the deal isn't sealed.

VIDEO

Serious judge is serious

:rolleyes:

Hopefully every guy who ever called her a mean name growing up knows she's in charge now!
Just. Wow.COCDFJ didn't get jailed for a butt slap. He tuned up his wife at the time, and got off with probation for it. Then he violated that probation and got a second break in that instead of going to jail for both commiting physical violence on the woman and then failing to comply with the assigned probation, he got a huge break and only got the probation extended a whole 3 months.How does he reward the judge for agreeing to that leniency? By committing an act of self aggrandizement and abject stupidity before the judge, no even before the judge accepted the agreement no less. The judge responded appropriately to his wanton display of yet more incredibly poor judgment and sent him a message that he had committed more cumulative stupidity than the court would tolerate and that there were consequences attached.COCDFJ earned every day in jail all by himself despite getting multiple breaks in this from the system. He clearly couldn't control himself and the judge simply responded to that obvious lack of control. Good riddance.
That's a really stupid place for a guy of his skills to be in and then he compounds it by showing disrespect for the place he's in and the person he's before. And the whole thing is extremely serious. The idea being he's been on probation for a violent crime: if he cannot respect the law in a court house, in a courtroom, with bailiffs and an actual judge in front of him, you really think he's going to respect the law behind closed doors? No way.

dickey moe said:
kutta said:
Well i think I found the problem. She's a Tea Partier
Yeah, the whole "racist Tea Party angle." You're tired.
Where did I ever use the word "racist?" What is wrong with you?
He saw an incredibly dumb staement and probably thought that you were capable of more incredibly dumb thoughts extending from that. Pretty reasonable reaction, to be honest.
Do you think a liberal or conservative judge would be more likely to get upset over a butt slap in the courtroom? You guys can read into my statement all you want, but the "woe is me" schtick is tiring.

Just watched it, he never smiled at all during the slap. You can even see him looking at his attorney and doing it as acknowledgement of his appreciation.

It isn't his fault the court laughed, that is out of chads control.

I don't like chad but he had no intent of disrespect and the judges reaction was awful. The Attorney general of Florida has already stated the judge was out of line.

30 days reasonable? It depends on any number of things.

Face the facts, the judge acted like a bitter old t w a t who made a decision to send a man to jail because she couldn't keep her emotions in check. From the video I saw Chad didn't look to be antagonizing her in any way. And I'm guessing she's let off worse criminals in her time as a judge.

Face the facts, the judge acted like a bitter old t w a t who made a decision to send a man to jail because she couldn't keep her emotions in check. From the video I saw Chad didn't look to be antagonizing her in any way. And I'm guessing she's let off worse criminals in her time as a judge.
I'd say CJ hasn't done a very good job at keeping his emotions in check either. He's the one facing jail time. If he was able to keep his in check, he wouldn't have found himself in front of a judge in the first place.

I'd say CJ hasn't done a very good job at keeping his emotions in check either. He's the one facing jail time. If he was able to keep his in check, he wouldn't have found himself in front of a judge in the first place.
You got that right. Even worse he found himself in front of judge Queen of the shrews who tells him he should appreciate what great job his lawyer did for him. Then when he shows his appreciation to his lawyer, she turns cow rights before his eyes and gives him 30 days in the slammer for it . What a bitter trollop she is.

I bet he'll think twice now about beating another woman, and if he does, I bet he won't think the terms of his parole are a joke and don't apply to him (if he's lucky enough to get off that easy again). Judge may have over reacted, but she was well within her rights not to accept the plea bargain. I don't see the outrage here...maybe I'm wrong.

:shrug:

This guy has been a problem on and off the field, while he may not have warranted jail time for slapping a butt, he deserves to be in the can anyways. Life evens itself out. Hell, OJ got life for trying to steal his Heisman but I think they called it kidnapping. If you cant put an idiot behind bars with the right charge you find one to put him there. Law at its finest. The judicial system, society and Chad all get screwed on that one.

I understand people on both sides of the fence, but anyone who thinks this wife beater should not be in jail somewhere is just a fan and cannot separate themselves from it.

This is why the judicial system is a joke on both ends. You can beat women, just dont slap your lawyers butt.

Are we supposed to take laws seriously? How can Chad do it when his sentence was treated like a joke in the first place.

I want to state that I hate most chad's DB'ry, but find this a bit preposterous.

TLDR the entire thread, but there are sources out there with a minute or so before the NFL.com clip. Watch it. You'll hear the entire conversation about her lauding the lawyer, and chad agreeing, which led to the butt slap .. which in turn set off a chorus of giggles from those in attendance and the bailiff's. The butt slap was right out of any sports handbook as a teammate/coach congratulations. The court took it in the wrong way, those in attendance took it the wrong way, and it was BS.

Please.... go to the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5MZ8Dy8uOho and set it to 40 seconds in. (Also, notice the brief blank/timeskip)

I want to add, the dude was an idiot not to think of his current circumstances, but .. really? Was anyone expecting him to have common sense during court proceedings? This wasn't to demean the court. it was a well intentioned flub of etiquette.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/judge-agrees-to-release-chad-johnson-after-seven-days/

Judge agrees to release Chad Johnson after seven daysPosted by Michael David Smith on June 17, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
When a Florida judge felt that Chad Johnson wasn’t taking a probation hearing seriously enough, she said she would throw him in jail for 30 days. But now the same judge has decided that seven days was enough.

Judge Katherine McHugh ruled today that Johnson can be released from jail, 23 days earlier than she had originally given him after he slapped his attorney on the butt and drew laughter during a probation hearing in her courtroom.

According to TMZ, McHugh scolded Johnson for his history of disrespectful behavior and also told him that what he did to his ex-wife in 2012, when he was arrested for domestic abuse, was “horrific.” And she extended his probation for another month, through October 16.

But in the end, she seems to have come to the decision that 30 days in jail is too severe for a playful pat on the butt. And so Johnson will be a free man.

Users who are viewing this thread