What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2022 Thread - team only allowed soft foods on filght home for fear of choking again. *** (1 Viewer)

Having starters in at the end of the game yesterday was idiotic, particularly given how many injuries they already had at that point. Just ****ing stupid.

Slater out for the year really feels like this will be another lost season. Norton can't play, they'll need to shuffle the other starters around and put Salyer in somewhere (assuming they can't pick somebody suitable up from elsewhere). And we have no idea what's up with Linsley either - I hope he's not entering the Bulaga zone. Yet again the failure to obtain / develop depth on the offensive line strikes. Telesco should be fired for this, it's a chronic issue.
I know I'm wasting my breath but IMO you're way off base here (again). They made huge investments and huge strides in their O-line, built it from a major weakness to a strength. NO ONE has stud back up O-linemen, do you know why? Because they're in such high demand that even mediocre players get overpaid to go start somewhere. There's a large supply/demand imbalance.

The Chargers were set up to have a great season this year but have gotten crushed by injuries. It sucks, but it's hardly unique to them. Honestly the NFL has a pretty major problem on their hands IMO, players are dropping like flies and it really makes it tough to get too invested since so much seems to come down to who can stay healthiest.

Having starters in at the end of the game yesterday was idiotic, particularly given how many injuries they already had at that point. Just ****ing stupid.

Slater out for the year really feels like this will be another lost season. Norton can't play, they'll need to shuffle the other starters around and put Salyer in somewhere (assuming they can't pick somebody suitable up from elsewhere). And we have no idea what's up with Linsley either - I hope he's not entering the Bulaga zone. Yet again the failure to obtain / develop depth on the offensive line strikes. Telesco should be fired for this, it's a chronic issue.
I know I'm wasting my breath but IMO you're way off base here (again). They made huge investments and huge strides in their O-line, built it from a major weakness to a strength. NO ONE has stud back up O-linemen, do you know why? Because they're in such high demand that even mediocre players get overpaid to go start somewhere. There's a large supply/demand imbalance.

The Chargers were set up to have a great season this year but have gotten crushed by injuries. It sucks, but it's hardly unique to them. Honestly the NFL has a pretty major problem on their hands IMO, players are dropping like flies and it really makes it tough to get too invested since so much seems to come down to who can stay healthiest.
Sure. Watch Storm Norton and Will Clapp "play" some time and get back to me.

Bosa will be out against the Texans this week with a groin injury. Staley says his status is week to week, they're considering putting him on IR.

They made huge investments and huge strides in their O-line, built it from a major weakness to a strength. NO ONE has stud back up O-linemen, do you know why? Because they're in such high demand that even mediocre players get overpaid to go start somewhere. There's a large supply/demand imbalance.

As a Chargers fan, I very much appreciate the investments in the OL in the past two offseasons:
  • Drafted LT Slater and RG Zion to start and OL Jaimes and Salyer for depth - upgrades
  • Signed LG Feiler and C Linsley in free agency, and paid up for Linsley in particular - upgrades
  • Also signed Clapp as depth while letting Quessenberry walk, but IMO that was a wash
But it can also be (and is IMO) true that they could have taken action to upgrade at RT/swing tackle. There are still free agents available who are arguably better than Norton for sure and possibly Pipkins as well. Will they sign one now or stand pat? Norton allowed 8 pressures in 23 pass blocking snaps after Slater left the game Sunday. That is a recipe for disaster on Herbert's blind side, especially with Herbert playing with injured rib cartilage.

To highlight something mentioned in the previous post above:

Joey Bosa is having surgery to repair his groin. He'll miss at least the next 4 games.

They've signed an OLB, Derek Tuszka off waivers, and will probably move Carlo Kemp up from the practice squad for depth on the edge. Van Noy and Rumph will probably be getting Bosa's reps for the most part.

They signed WR John Hightower to the practice squad, who was last with the Eagles. I guess he ran a 4.43 40 at the combine a couple of years ago, but is rumored to have hands of stone. If he really is that fast, he'll be the fastest WR the Chargers have near the roster. Not expecting much here.

Looks like they'll be letting Salyer try to be the LT with Slater out. I guess we'll find out about the rookie sooner than we expected.

Last edited:
They made huge investments and huge strides in their O-line, built it from a major weakness to a strength. NO ONE has stud back up O-linemen, do you know why? Because they're in such high demand that even mediocre players get overpaid to go start somewhere. There's a large supply/demand imbalance.

As a Chargers fan, I very much appreciate the investments in the OL in the past two offseasons:
  • Drafted LT Slater and RG Zion to start and OL Jaimes and Salyer for depth - upgrades
  • Signed LG Feiler and C Linsley in free agency, and paid up for Linsley in particular - upgrades
  • Also signed Clapp as depth while letting Quessenberry walk, but IMO that was a wash
But it can also be (and is IMO) true that they could have taken action to upgrade at RT/swing tackle. There are still free agents available who are arguably better than Norton for sure and possibly Pipkins as well. Will they sign one now or stand pat? Norton allowed 8 pressures in 23 pass blocking snaps after Slater left the game Sunday. That is a recipe for disaster on Herbert's blind side, especially with Herbert playing with injured rib cartilage.
This is a far more reasonable take than wanting the GM fired despite making huge investments in and massively upgrading 4/5 of their O-line. Sorry, but that's absurd.

No Keenan Allen and no Parham, but Linsley and Jackson are supposed to play. Should be enough, hopefully Salyer steps up. Looks like Bandy will be active, wonder if he'll get any reps. They could use somebody who can get some separation.

Bosa now expected to be out 8 to 10 weeks. It's Rumpf time!

8 weeks means week 11 - KC at home. 10 weeks means week 13 - at LV. Both big games.

Given that Staley tends to be conservative with returning players from injury, I would bet on 10+ weeks before he is back, meaning week 13 or later. It will probably take him at least one game to get back to normal form, so week 14 or later for that. I hope I am wrong and he is back not later than week 12, so he can be back to normal for the Raiders game.

Salyer played pretty well. Great 1st half for the team, then they went to sleep for a quarter and a half. Not digging Lombardi's approach from ahead, and am not digging Sony Michel. D had one really bad drive in the 2nd half, and the run D still looks weak. I'll take the W but they don't get to play Houston every week. There's work to be done.

Salyer played pretty well. Great 1st half for the team, then they went to sleep for a quarter and a half. Not digging Lombardi's approach from ahead, and am not digging Sony Michel. D had one really bad drive in the 2nd half, and the run D still looks weak. I'll take the W but they don't get to play Houston every week. There's work to be done.
Sony is a waste......I don’t get that at all. Guy is a plodder. Eckler and Kelly. Those should be the two guys period. You wanna keep Sony around for depth...fine. But seriously every time he touches the ball I cringe.

I'd like to see what Spiller can do. He seems to have dropped off the radar. I don't know if it's still injury or unfamiliarity with plays and protection.

Salyer played pretty well.

That is an understatement. PFF has graded 236 OL players who have played pass blocking snaps this season. Salyer's grade (90.4) is #1 among all of them. They have his pass blocking efficiency at 100%.

What an amazing thing. I can't remember the last time the Chargers discovered an unexpectedly good OL player.

You can look at this negatively, i.e., how did the coaching staff (a) not know who Norton was, and (b) not know what they had in Salyer. But I choose to revel in the goodness of what they seem to have in Salyer. I realize it is one game, small sample size, etc. But... wow.

Salyer played pretty well.

That is an understatement. PFF has graded 236 OL players who have played pass blocking snaps this season. Salyer's grade (90.4) is #1 among all of them. They have his pass blocking efficiency at 100%.

What an amazing thing. I can't remember the last time the Chargers discovered an unexpectedly good OL player.

You can look at this negatively, i.e., how did the coaching staff (a) not know who Norton was, and (b) not know what they had in Salyer. But I choose to revel in the goodness of what they seem to have in Salyer. I realize it is one game, small sample size, etc. But... wow.
Small sample size against a not so great defensive team. He looked good, I'm optimistic in terms of his chances to be a plus over the course of the season. It blows my mind that they give Norton any reps, and beyond that that they continue to use roster spot on him - it doesn't even make Tillery sense. But if Salyer can hold up, I'll come around to @humpback 's perspective on the work that's been done on the offensive line over the last couple of seasons.

They should have lost, for multiple reasons, but - the Browns. My Staley sentiment metric is in negative territory at this point.
I was in an Eagles bar in Wilmington, Delaware with my Chargers hat on. I was roundly ridiculed when they tried for that last minute 4th down conversion. And I deserved it. That was a brain dead decision. We were very, very lucky.

Happy to take the win though!

It's been a really strange season so far. It's the softest 4-2 I've seen for this team in quite a while, yet I can't help but feel that teams of seasons past would be 2-4 under the same circumstances. Accumulating 4 early season wins with all that's gone on is a big positive.

Super props to the D and the ST for winning this game. Good performances all over the place there - forcing muffed punts, sacks, kicking through injury, all kinds of stuff.

J.C. Jackson needs to sit a bit - he's not ready to be out there and the D seemed better when he was off the field. I'm hoping this is just lingering injury and unfamiliarity with the defensive scheme.

OL and WR are problems, the first due to injury, the second due to poor roster choices and injury. Problem is Slater isn't coming back this season and Linsley seems to be entering the chronically injured phase of his career (okay, okay, this time it was just food poisoning - hopefully that doesn't become chronic). Losing Clap for a stretch was another hit, and it's obvious Pipkins is still hurting. Zion making rookie mistakes isn't as concerning - that's what rookies do.

The WRs concern me more. You don't appreciate Allen's ability to get separation until he's not out there and you get to see most/all the other WRs fail to get separation. They really need to instigate some sort of continuous FA flow until they land on someone who can get separation, or make a deal for someone who can. What they've got now just isn't good enough, particularly when combined with a lack of time in the pocket due to the OL injuries. Also, I think Herbert is fantastic, but he hasn't developed Rivers's knack for throwing guys open. It shouldn't be on Herbert to compensate for the WR's inability to separate, but he's basically got to make chicken salad out of chicken **** at least until Allen gets back, and that's a skill that's necessary in this case, though I don't know that he can magically develop it in a week or two. Parham and Everett were the main bright spots receiving wise - maybe they'll factor more into gameplans going forward.

Last edited:
Agree it is a somewhat surprising 4-2. They have a negative point differential, though that has mostly to do with one blowout loss. More importantly, they could have lost every game they have won. It is great they didn't, that is progress from past seasons. But I'm not sure if it is sustainable.

With regard to the WRs, I'm not sure why they have had Bandy active 3 weeks in a row and have not given him more snaps. It's as if they know what they have in him and don't think he can make a positive contribution, but he has caught 3 of 4 targets this season for 53 yards, all going for first downs, and one of those was a 4th down conversion last night. Seems like a guy who can contribute, but they aren't putting him on the field.

All that said, entering the season, had you projected the injuries to QB Herbert, LT Slater, C Linsley, WR1 Allen, WR4 Guyton, TE Parham, Edge Bosa, and CB1 (supposedly) Jackson as they have played out, I would not have expected them to be 5-2 at the bye, but that is the opportunity in front of them. I can't decide if that is a sign of good coaching or just lucky.

I have a hard time getting behind good coaching given a number of bizarre (IMO) roster management decisions, some of the 4th down decisions, and what seems to me to be inferior offensive coaching. I hope they prove me wrong.

Last edited:
But I'm not sure if it is sustainable...

With regard to the WRs, I'm not sure why they have had Bandy active 3 weeks in a row and have not given him more snaps. It's as if they know what they have in him and don't think he can make a positive contribution, but he has caught 3 of 4 targets this season for 53 yards, all going for first downs, and one of those was a 4th down conversion last night. Seems like a guy who can contribute, but they aren't putting him on the field.
I'm thinking these things right along with you. Give Bandy some more chances to see if he can be a guy that gets some separation. If not, you need to find that guy.

Concussion again for Parham. Sadly it seems like the reality is you can't plan on him being a major contributor, he's got to be on borrowed time NFL career wise at this point.

Kelly and Hopkins out 2 to 4 weeks.

Staley is saying Kelly's spot is up for competition between Roundtree and Spiller. Spiller must really be stinking it up in practice for this to still be a coin flip. I have no idea.

Taylor Bertolet will be the kicker in the interim. Sounds like a low rent winery. Maybe Staley goes full on no kicks - go for every 4th down. I'd honestly love to see a coach / team commit to and game plan that way some time.

Staley is saying Kelly's spot is up for competition between Roundtree and Spiller. Spiller must really be stinking it up in practice for this to still be a coin flip. I have no idea.

Taylor Bertolet will be the kicker in the interim. Sounds like a low rent winery. Maybe Staley goes full on no kicks - go for every 4th down. I'd honestly love to see a coach / team commit to and game plan that way some time.

One of the issues relating to the PK situation is that Bertolet only has 2 more call ups without being waived IIRC. Timing of the bye helps, but if Hopkins needs the full 4 weeks, they might have to sign Bertolet to the active roster and waive someone.

One of the issues relating to the PK situation is that Bertolet only has 2 more call ups without being waived IIRC. Timing of the bye helps, but if Hopkins needs the full 4 weeks, they might have to sign Bertolet to the active roster and waive someone.
It may come to that. Hamstrings can take a while to heal. There's also the possibility that Bertolet sucks and they'll have to revolving door the K spot until Hopkins gets back.

Please don't suck, Bertolet, at least not this week.

Rent-A-Kicker, which is situation-based, regardless of who's doing the kicking, (the model is having an off-year, fwiw), the best of 6 'great plays' this weeks, and is easily the widest available of those situations/kickers.

Best of luck. I could see Staley going for it even more often than usual if he doesn't trust this guy.

Was good for 12 points in Week 5 at Browns: 3/3 FG (albeit all insidie of 30 yards),+3XP. Home vs Seahawks this week should be a barnburner; hoping for similar output.

I read in one of the BFTB comment sections that the Chargers' OL is giving up the most pressures in the NFL - is that right?

Herbert seems off. I'm wondering if there isn't more to the injury he acquired earlier in the year than he and the team are letting on.

A ridiculous amount of injuries again already by week 7. This team is cursed, and astroturf sucks, another craptastic result of the team moving to L.A. / SoFi.

I'm pretty down on Staley and the coaching staff at this point. Granted it's a tough job when you lose multiple starters to injury seemingly every week. But the game plans, etc. don't seem to have the team progressing. They have a bye week here, to date the coaching staff hasn't exactly shown great results when given more time in season to make adjustments. If they don't come out with competency against the Falcons in two weeks I might be in the fire the coaching staff crowd. Of course the Spanoses won't actually do that - they'll let Staley play out his contract regardless of results.

Last edited:
I read in one of the BFTB comment sections that the Chargers' OL is giving up the most pressures in the NFL - is that right?

Per PFF, here are the offenses (all players, not just OL) in the top 11 in pressures allowed:
  1. 99 Commanders in 301 dropbacks = 32.9%
  2. 95 Jets in 284 DB = 33.5%
  3. 94 Colts in 327 DB = 28.7%
  4. 94 Rams in 253 DB = 37.2%
  5. 93 Chargers in 328 DB = 28.4%
  6. 87 Dolphins in 278 DB = 31.3%
  7. 86 Chiefs in 295 DB = 29.2%
  8. 84 Cardinals in 317 DB = 26.5%
  9. 78 Bengals in 310 DB = 25.2%
  10. 78 Vikings in 244 DB = 32.0%
  11. 78 Giants in 242 DB = 32.2%
When looking at volume of dropbacks, there are at least 8 teams worse than the Chargers.

Herbert seems off. I'm wondering if there isn't more to the injury he acquired earlier in the year than he and the team are letting on.

I agree that it seems like the injury is affecting his performance.

I'm pretty down on Staley and the coaching staff at this point. Granted it's a tough job when you lose multiple starters to injury seemingly every week. But the game plans, etc. don't seem to have the team progressing. They have a bye week here, to date the coaching staff hasn't exactly shown great results when given more time in season to make adjustments. If they don't come out with competency against the Falcons in two weeks I might be in the fire the coaching staff crowd. Of course the Spanoses won't actually do that - they'll let Staley play out his contract regardless of results.

I agree.

IMO it is premature to call for firing Staley, but his seat should be pretty warm IMO. I could see replacing Lombardi, but I don't think that is imperative right now. However, if things don't improve offensively and Staley surives as HC in 2023, I could see the front office forcing him to change the OC if he doesn't take that action on his own.

This is a sobering thought. Consider the regular season records of the past 3 Chargers head coaches in each of their first two seasons:

Lynn - 21-11 (0.656)
Norv - 19-13 (0.594)
McCoy - 18-14 (0.563)
Staley - 13-11 (0.542) and counting

At this point, it seems unlikely Staley's Chargers will come in any better than last in winning percentage in that list when this season is over. Also note, all three of the previous coaches made the playoffs at least once in their first two seasons... that seems like a bit of a long shot for the Chargers right now.

This was the year with the strongest opportunity, given the cap situation. The roster will likely be less talented next year and beyond.

Does the Spanos family think this is okay?

I realize there are 10 games remaining, and I hope the team turns it around and proves my skepticism wrong... but I am skeptical.

Last edited:
The thing that will hurt if Staley turns out to not be a good coach (let alone really good or great) is that there have been a number of new hires over the last two seasons by other teams that look really good right now. I was hoping for Daboll back when Staley was hired for instance. Further, beyond the immediate impact below average coaching is having on this team, it would indicate the Chargers' aren't very good at identifying quality coaching candidates in the Telesco regime, which would give little hope that they'll do better if/when they replace Staley and company.

Last edited:
The thing that will hurt if Staley turns out to not be a good coach (let alone really good or great) is that there have been a number of new hires over the last two seasons by other teams that look really good right now. I was hoping for Daboll back when Staley was hired for instance. Further, beyond the immediate impact below average coaching is having on this team, it would indicate the Chargers' aren't very good at identifying quality coaching candidates in the Telesco regime.

Regarding the bolded, I'm pretty sure we already knew that... what more proof is needed than hiring McCoy and Lynn back to back and sticking with each for 4 seasons? They combined to make Norv look like a great coach.

More importantly, the Chargers have made moves that contributed to putting them in a really challenging cap situation in 2023 based on attempting to fit Staley's vision for the roster. If Staley is gone, the next coach will be cap constrained in adjusting the roster to fit his vision.

Does Will Fuller still want to play football? I think he could help this team -- and as injury prone as he is, he'd fit right in with the team culture.

The wide receiver room is currently down Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Josh Palmer, and Jalen Guyton. No biggie.

It's not currently down Allen or Palmer. Both are expected to play in the next game.

And what difference does it really make on Guyton? He played 29 offensive snaps in 3 games before his injury. Lombardi basically ignored him until game 3, and he got hurt in that game.

Seems like Keenan Allen won't be playing this week, and possibly not much over the rest of the season, saying he had a setback with his hamstring injury over the bye.

Williams will be out a few more weeks, the WR rotation looks pretty scrubby right now. The Chargers did nothing to address this via trade.

I don't think they've completely thrown in the towel on this season, but it sure feels that way.

Seems like Keenan Allen won't be playing this week, and possibly not much over the rest of the season, saying he had a setback with his hamstring injury over the bye.

Williams will be out a few more weeks, the WR rotation looks pretty scrubby right now. The Chargers did nothing to address this via trade.

I don't think they've completely thrown in the towel on this season, but it sure feels that way.

The towel is injured...

And now we know that the backup PK, Bertolet, is also injured, and the team has signed a third PK, Cameron Dicker. :unsure:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread