What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 1 (1 Viewer)

https://youtu.be/XlTqcshkmc8

3.18. Bellbottoms—Jon Spencer Blues Explosion 

A+ soundtrack to I’m-The-Man badassery for more than 2 decades and anyone who thinks otherwise is a virgin.
Saw his side project Heavy Trash with about twenty other people in New Haven one night. I was so plowed. Offered to buy him a drink and he got one look at me and was like "no...thank you, though." 

I almost fell over on the way home. Hoo boy. What a show, though. 

Baby Driver soundtrack had this one. First song in the chase scenes in the movie. A great selection by the director, and a cool one here. 

Saw his side project Heavy Trash with about twenty other people in New Haven one night. I was so plowed. Offered to buy him a drink and he got one look at me and was like "no...thank you, though." 

I almost fell over on the way home. Hoo boy. What a show, though. 

Baby Driver soundtrack had this one. First song in the chase scenes in the movie. A great selection by the director, and a cool one here. 

OH has seen him several times, including once when he was around 16 and he opened for Helmet.  He'll probably be back in to tell tales of the show(s), but right now he's cooking chili.

We saw Baby Driver and both think that scene was the only good one in the movie.

OH has seen him several times, including once when he was around 16 and he opened for Helmet.  He'll probably be back in to tell tales of the show(s), but right now he's cooking chili.

We saw Baby Driver and both think that scene was the only good one in the movie.

Too many "he" references in here without clarity on their antecedents.  The "he" who was 16 was OH.  The rest are Jon Spencer.

:can'tgetenoughofthatgrammarchat:

This was the second time I saw the Blues Explosion. We drove from Columbus, to Morgantown to Pittsburg in my friend Lloyd’s Geo Metro to pick up the tall bald girl and the short brunette next to her in the front row.  If you were into “indie” music at the time you know how fuggin’ rare it was to see, like, females and dancing and enthusiasm, rather than the arms-crossed trout dance and boring bros-only moshing.  Saw them a few other times since.  JSBX were a great gateway drug into all kinds of oddball rock and blues.  Through them I discovered the Gibson Brothers, Rufus Thomas, the Panther Burns, Chain and the Gamg, the Gories, ##### Galore, RL Burnside, and tons more.

Forgot to add the link to the show.

https://youtu.be/Z9Eoy0n1dqs

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the second time I saw the Blues Explosion. We drove from Columbus, to Morgantown to Pittsburg in my friend Lloyd’s Geo Metro to pick up the tall bald girl and the short brunette next to her in the front row.  If you were into “indie” music at the time you know how fuggin’ rare it was to see, like, females and dancing and enthusiasm, rather than the arms-crossed trout dance and boring bros-only moshing.  Saw them a few other times since.  JSBX were a great gateway drug into all kinds of oddball rock and blues.  Through them I discovered the Gibson Brothers, Rufus Thomas, the Panther Burns, Chain and the Gamg, the Gories, ##### Galore, RL Burnside, and tons more.

:excited:   I had never seen this before.  OH is the dude rubbing his nose between 2:14-2:19 in the clip.

Wow. I saw ten seconds and had to stop it. Shelter was playing that Friday at that club. Shelter was this crazy Hare Krishna hardcore act that could only play a club like that. I saw them at the age of nineteen. There were Krishnas all over. Krishna food, Krishna literature, Krishna everything. A food booth to prepare vegan food for the Krishnas in attendance. The entry to the show was a sight and a scene. Like a Dead show, only more cult-like. Robes. 

And then, upon entry, there were skinheads. Lots of them. And then jocks. I was the only one normal at the show and I was confused. I thought one of the bands ended their set by saying "Merry Christmas" over and over. Turns out, they were doing a four minute, feedback-drone song repeating "Hare Krishna" over and over and over, as if trying to initiate the crowd into the spirit and ways of the cult. 

Then they stopped, and Shelter took the stage, played a few songs, and stopped the show, wherein the lead singer gave a ten-minute lecture about beauty and physicality (he did not talk about facial symmetry or hourglass figures, that's for sure). At one point, unsatisfied with crowd reaction to the first story, apparently, he stopped the show again. Another lecture. The skinheads were restless. The jocks were, too. The skinheads started Seig-Heiling. A massive fight broke out. My acquaintances were busy stomping heads. I sat, over on the side, appalled and in disbelief. 

If ideas take twenty to thirty years to advance through culture, no wonder the current zeitgeist is so ####ed up. It's that show, all over again, a sandal or boot in your face forever. 

Memories. 

The video rules through the first eight minutes until Bell Bottoms. Then it freaks out. Love the breakdown around ten minutes in. That's an awesome show. You can see people start to get pushed a little bit up front around around 11:00 in when they really get into to the harmonica and warp speed song. Hard not to dance to that one. 

Blues Explosion! 

So rockin'. Thanks for posting, OH. 

Wow. I saw ten seconds and had to stop it. Shelter was playing that Friday at that club. Shelter was this crazy Hare Krishna hardcore act that could only play a club like that. I saw them at the age of nineteen. There were Krishnas all over. Krishna food, Krishna literature, Krishna everything. A food booth to prepare vegan food for the Krishnas in attendance. The entry to the show was a sight and a scene. Like a Dead show, only more cult-like. Robes. 

And then, upon entry, there were skinheads. Lots of them. And then jocks. I was the only one normal at the show and I was confused. I thought one of the bands ended their set by saying "Merry Christmas" over and over. Turns out, they were doing a four minute, feedback-drone song repeating "Hare Krishna" over and over and over, as if trying to initiate the crowd into the spirit and ways of the cult. 

Then they stopped, and Shelter took the stage, played a few songs, and stopped the show, wherein the lead singer gave a ten-minute about beauty and physicality (he did not talk about facial symmetry or hourglass figures, that's for sure). At one point, unsatisfied with crowd reaction to the first story, apparently, he stopped the show again. Another lecture. The skinheads were restless. The jocks were, too. The skinheads started Seig-Heiling. A massive fight broke out. My acquaintances were busy stomping heads. I sat, over on the side, appalled and in disbelief. 

If ideas take twenty to thirty years to advance through culture, no wonder the current zeitgeist is so ####ed up. It's that show, all over again, a sandal or boot in your face forever. 

Memories. 
Dude I saw Shelter like a year or two before that in Moundsville.  The Krishna’s regularly held hardcore shows and were singularly responsible for a nascent scene in, of all places, Wheeling WV.  I’m so glad that my early exposure to the underground wasn’t just these idiotic factions of hardcore.  Other than a few very notable outliers, hardcore proved to be some creatively bankrupt shizzle.  

Dude I saw Shelter like a year or two before that in Moundsville.  The Krishna’s regularly held hardcore shows and were singularly responsible for a nascent scene in, of all places, Wheeling WV.  I’m so glad that my early exposure to the underground wasn’t just these idiotic factions of hardcore.  Other than a few very notable outliers, hardcore proved to be some creatively bankrupt shizzle.  
Totally agreed. It turned out to be just warmed over metal for supposedly conscious suburban jocks. My friends were into it. I wanted no part of it. I was still in the throes of bands like [whoops, redacted] and other bands big enough to have weeded that sort of stuff out in the name of respectability. It wasn't until about '92 (right around then) that I really got into underground punk stuff as opposed to mass-distributed stuff and even then I was pursuing a different sort of vibe in the subculture/underground. Being introduced to that sort of war zone was anathema to everything I thought a fun time should be.

Just saw the name and remembered. Looks like Jon Spencer was a great show and a good time. 

Too many "he" references in here without clarity on their antecedents.  The "he" who was 16 was OH.  The rest are Jon Spencer.

:can'tgetenoughofthatgrammarchat:
Speaking of grammar, are nested parentheses ever allowed?

(For example: They could save me the trouble of having to rewite (a lot) of two-sentence paragraphs)). Like this one.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. Amazingly, that sentence really doesn't read correctly, nor does it accurately reflect how normal I was compared to these hardcore loons. And how damn confusing and disorienting the whole thing was. Krishnas, Nazis, track-suit wearing jocks, and guys wearing branded hats from alternative brands like Fresh Jive and Fuct. A real hullaballoo. 

I just wanted my blanket, I guess. 

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. Amazingly, that sentence really doesn't read correctly, nor does it accurately reflect how normal I was compared to these hardcore loons. And how damn confusing and disorienting the whole thing was. Krishnas, Nazis, track-suit wearing jocks, and guys wearing branded hats from alternative brands like Fresh Jive and Fuct. A real hullaballoo. 

I just wanted my blanket, I guess. 
I think it reads perfectly.  At least, it did for me.  Sometimes that happens.  And it's weird.

Since it looks like SteevieG is completely MIA, I'm going to make things easy and slide SWCer into his slot.  Here are the picks we all need to take to the bank:  "my three picks would be 1 days like this by van morrison 2 bill withers lovely day and 3 flashlight by parliment"

Days Like This

Lovely Day

Flashlight

@SWC The timeslot for your fourth pick is 6:30 PM ET today.  You can draft any time after that. 

Here's the updated draft sheet

Since it looks like SteevieG is completely MIA, I'm going to make things easy and slide SWCer into his slot.  Here are the picks we all need to take to the bank:  "my three picks would be 1 days like this by van morrison 2 bill withers lovely day and 3 flashlight by parliment"

Days Like This

Lovely Day

Flashlight

@SWC The timeslot for your fourth pick is 6:30 PM ET today.  You can draft any time after that. 

Here's the updated draft sheet
you listen to these 3 together and it's easy to feelwhat it's like to be @SWC on a good day - laid back, uncomplicated, just joyful enough not to be obnoxious. and you can take that to da funk, brobeat

Users who are viewing this thread