What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 1 (2 Viewers)

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
12/5 Note:  The draft order has been determined and schedule is set.  simey kicks us off tomorrow at 10:00 AM ET followed by Yo Mama at 10:30.  If you're not available to draft in your scheduled 30 minute window, feel free to catch up whenever you have time afterwards.

Here's the official draft schedule with randomized draft order.  Good luck everyone!  

Draft Link

As I mentioned in the best song draft, I plan to contribute some money to charity and figured we could have some fun by competing for the rights to name the recipients.  Here's how it will work:

I will make a total of four $500 charitable donations before the end of the year.  The charity to receive each donation will be decided by separate 4-round weekly drafts, each with their own theme.  The theme of the first draft has already been disclosed:  It's a beautiful Spring evening, you're driving home with the windows open after just finding out you received a promotion and a large raise. What song are you blasting in the car? 

The draft order will be randomized and done snake style.  After the drafting is done, I'll compile a summary of each team's songs and we'll each vote who we think has the first, second, and third best team (not including our own, of course).  The team with the most points wins and gets to name the charity who receives $500.  Rinse and repeat for three more themes.  

Here's the schedule:

Today through Sunday (12/5) at 5 PM ET:  Recruit participants

Sunday by 9 PM ET:  Post randomized draft order and schedule.

Monday at 10 AM ET:  The draft begins.  Each pick will be allotted a 30 minute to draft.  Pick 1 will start at 10:00 AM.  Pick 2 will start at 10:30 AM.  Pick 3 will start at 11:00.  You can catch up at any time if you miss your 30 minute window.

Tuesday, 10 AM ET:  Round 2, Wednesday for Round 3, Thursday for Round 4.

Friday by 10 AM ET:  Cranks posts a summary of everyone's picks and creates a poll to allow everyone (including those not drafting) to vote on the top 3 teams.  

Friday 10 PM ET:  Voting is closed and the scores tabulated.  

Saturday:  The winner is announced and chooses the charity.  Cranks sends money to charity.

Sunday (12/12):  A new theme is announced and we go through the process again.  A total of four one-week drafts will occur.  

Reply "In" if you want to participate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And recruiter.  Gotta get some bodies in here and my rep isn't getting it done.
Back in my Navy days we had a port call in Fort Lauderdale.  One of the squids was in a strip club and apparently was feeling a little sorry for one of the dancers who was not getting enough love from the patrons, soooo, he decided to go out into the streets and drum up some support for her.  When the cops approached him he took off running; he was tackled by the cops as he went crashing/running through a wedding reception.  He was dropped off on the pier with his ankles and wrists zip-tied.  So the legend goes.

Anyway, my point being, I'll see if I can find this guy for you.

Back in my Navy days we had a port call in Fort Lauderdale.  One of the squids was in a strip club and apparently was feeling a little sorry for one of the dancers who was not getting enough love from the patrons, soooo, he decided to go out into the streets and drum up some support for her.  When the cops approached him he took off running; he was tackled by the cops as he went crashing/running through a wedding reception.  He was dropped off on the pier with his ankles and wrists zip-tied.  So the legend goes.

Anyway, my point being, I'll see if I can find this guy for you.
I'm the ugly stripper, aren't I.  

Current participants:  Cranks, Ilov80s, Mister CIA, higgins, wikkidpissah, Uruk-hai (a little iffy though).  

Waiting for Chaos and Mrs. R to confirm their reservations.  Assuming they're in we'll need at least two more. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And recruiter.  Gotta get some bodies in here and my rep isn't getting it done.

At the beginning of a lot of the drafts, the commish @s some of the regular music-thread devotees to alert them to the new draft.  You might want to go ahead and @ the people who were in the last three drafts (best song, Rolling Stone garbage draft started by me, and the massive genrepalooza one that went over 500 rounds) as well as the Summerpalooza people.  That should cover most or all of the regulars.  If you can't find those threads to see who participated, let me know and I'll try to dig them up.

I'll play.

There is one caveat, and I won't know this until Monday unfortunately:

I have some corporate idio.....- I mean the braintrust that keeps us all positive and makes the machine run! - .... coming in Monday. If they decide to monopolize my week I would have to either drop, or (best case) be on autoskip until those moro.... - I mean the best folks to work for evah! - ... leave. If I get fired, I'll have plenty of time for the draft.

I'll play.

There is one caveat, and I won't know this until Monday unfortunately:

I have some corporate idio.....- I mean the braintrust that keeps us all positive and makes the machine run! - .... coming in Monday. If they decide to monopolize my week I would have to either drop, or (best case) be on autoskip until those moro.... - I mean the best folks to work for evah! - ... leave. If I get fired, I'll have plenty of time for the draft.
Nothing wrong with going autoskip, the theme is so wide open

I’m wondering why more of the usual music drafters aren’t participating? Did they misread it to think they have to donate $500 to get in??

I'm just hyper-competitive and don't tolerate losing very well.  I'm not kidding that that's my reason.  
I used to be awful. I mean, terrible. I think I still have the record for technical fouls in 10-12 Saturday League basketball and that was going-on 50 years ago. I have Facebook friends who I played with and against who still tease me about that. Whoever the worst whiner in sports is these days had nothing on me.

I used to be awful. I mean, terrible. I think I still have the record for technical fouls in 10-12 Saturday League basketball and that was going-on 50 years ago. I have Facebook friends who I played with and against who still tease me about that. Whoever the worst whiner in sports is these days had nothing on me.

:lmao:   You're so mild-mannered now.  I don't whine about losing or let other people know, but I hate it and myself if it happens.

Sorry, should give his screenname here:  Oliver Humanzee.

He has already chosen two of his songs, though I think one is highly snipe-able.
That’s an interesting element with such a short themed draft with voting. Does one aim for the most popular songs that we know will be loved or would one score more hitting slightly more off the beaten path songs that will intrigue and surprise?

That’s an interesting element with such a short themed draft with voting. Does one aim for the most popular songs that we know will be loved or would one score more hitting slightly more off the beaten path songs that will intrigue and surprise?

By the way, I hope people who vote will be required actually to listen to the songs chosen rather than just go on name or what they know.  

We were thinking along the same lines at the same time.  I was assuming some people would go with known/popular, which led to my thought above.

:lmao:   You're so mild-mannered now.  I don't whine about losing or let other people know, but I hate it and myself if it happens.
:lmao:  Yeah, I'm a real peach nowadays. 

For this draft, though I'd like to win a group stage, it's all good. Plus, my musical tastes don't quite align with the predominate  demo here so I'm not expecting much.

We were thinking along the same lines at the same time.  I was assuming some people would go with known/popular, which led to my thought above.
Yep and does cohesion of the songs matter? Or will people just consider the individual songs?

:lmao:  Yeah, I'm a real peach nowadays. 

For this draft, though I'd like to win a group stage, it's all good. Plus, my musical tastes don't quite align with the predominate  demo here so I'm not expecting much.
I was actually serious that you’re mild-mannered.  But I haven’t seen you deal with the fine people at work.

I was actually serious that you’re mild-mannered.  But I haven’t seen you deal with the fine people at work.
No, you're right. I've chilled a lot over the years. Too old to give much of a #### anymore (except for that damned mouse in my home and a killjoy in a certain recent thread). 

Though, I just got a text from a coworker that a 3rd corporate person is now coming in Monday (reuniting the Holy Trinity of awfulness). It could be a nuclear winter for me.

I was originally going to pass since I’m pretty burnt out right now, but I like the premise and it seems pretty manageable from a timing perspective, so I’m in if you need more. Plus, it’ll force me to listen to some uplifting songs over the next week. 

That's a fine idea.  @krista4what do you think about taking the lead on coming up with three more categories?

OK...I think.  Your first category is so good that it's intimidating.  I'd usually bounce ideas around with OH, but won't do that this time.  If any other non-drafters are available to consult, let me know.  I think @Chaos Commish was one who said he didn't have time for this one, for instance.  :)  

Users who are viewing this thread