What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 1 (1 Viewer)

I have a question...who are the voters?  I'm drafting a very different playlist for the FFA music snobs vs. the broader FFA.

krista4 said:
OK...I think.  Your first category is so good that it's intimidating.  I'd usually bounce ideas around with OH, but won't do that this time.  If any other non-drafters are available to consult, let me know.  I think @Chaos Commish was one who said he didn't have time for this one, for instance.  :)  
I am in for the first theme if you are. If I win, I will continue. If I lose, I will never speak to any of you again. Seems this should work for you too.

Uruk-Hai said:
If I didn't know you are a teacher, I'd swear you are an engineer :lol:
That's funny but I am so not an engineer. If you met me, you would probably guess 500 jobs before engineer. I have long hair, a lot of style and an really extroverted, get along with people very easily, am very in touch my feelings. I am more surfer or actor than engineer. That is a fun game, guess the poster's job!

TripItUp said:
I have a question...who are the voters?  I'm drafting a very different playlist for the FFA music snobs vs. the broader FFA.
Pretty much anyone on this board will be able to vote; you just can't vote for yourself.  

Ideally I could set it up as a poll.  If the poll limitations don't allow it, I may take @krista4up on her offer to tabulate. 

Pretty much anyone on this board will be able to vote; you just can't vote for yourself.  

Ideally I could set it up as a poll.  If the poll limitations don't allow it, I may take @krista4up on her offer to tabulate. 

I think the ability to do a poll could be limited by ranked choice voting.  It would be impossible to know if someone "messed up" and voted for a list twice, or accidentally voted for themselves, unless the poll choices were public and someone (not me) were willing to go through and make sure.  But you can see if it works when you get to it.

A little bummed to have drive-bys able to vote, but it's your draft!

By the way, I've come up with the general theme for weeks 2-4 - need to put the detail around them - and am having a great time thinking about these!  I kinda hope we'll have more of these without your being obligated to pony up :moneybag:  for more than four.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still don't understand this but it's a music draft so I guess I'm in :shrug:
Role playing four picks. Your role: You just got a promotion and a huge raise. It's a beautiful Spring day. You're going home with the good news, windows down, what four songs do you celebrate with? One pick a day for four days. One hour clock, I think. You will be judged via a full free for all election and Krista has the hanging chads. 

edit: left out the important part. if you win the vote, you get to pick a charity to receive $500. Cranks will do this 4 times.

Great recruitment work, everyone!  This should be fun.  

Since we have a good amount of people and I want to try to get each round done in a day, I'm going to change the draft clock to fixed 30-minute blocks beginning at 10:00 AM ET.  Here's how it will work:  From 10:00 - 10:30, the first pick will make their selection.  The second pick will choose between 10:30 and 11:00, regardless if the first pick made their selection or at what time.  If the first pick doesn't make their selection in the appropriate time they're able to catch up whenever they can.  The third pick will go at 11:00 AM and so on.  We'll repeat the process on Tuesday except in the opposite draft order. That way we'll each know our draft schedule for the entire week and can tinker with our work/life schedules in order to draft as timely as possible.  I'll create a google doc with the schedule and draft order on Sunday.

Since we have a good amount of people and I want to try to get each round done in a day, I'm going to change the draft clock to fixed 30-minute blocks beginning at 10:00 AM ET.  Here's how it will work:  From 10:00 - 10:30, the first pick will make their selection.  The second pick will choose between 10:30 and 11:00, regardless if the first pick made their selection or at what time.  If the first pick doesn't make their selection in the appropriate time they're able to catch up whenever they can.  The third pick will go at 11:00 AM and so on.  We'll repeat the process on Tuesday except in the opposite draft order. That way we'll each know our draft schedule for the entire week and can tinker with our work/life schedules in order to draft as timely as possible.  I'll create a google doc with the schedule and draft order on Sunday.
Great idea!  I'm in if there's still room.  I haven't done a music draft before but it's great what you're doing here.

:thumbup:

Since this is a judged draft, your idea on the clock is probably wise. We won't be able to have rapid-fire runs and there will be some dead space, but the judging is what matters the most in this case.

How many drafters do we have so far and what's your target #?

Since this is a judged draft, your idea on the clock is probably wise. We won't be able to have rapid-fire runs and there will be some dead space, but the judging is what matters the most in this case.

How many drafters do we have so far and what's your target #?
We're at 19 right now, so each round would take 10 hours.  I didn't have a target in mind, and we could simply reduce the length of each time block to allow more people to draft in a day.

Are we going for mood or topicality here?  Or both?
I'm leaning mood, but I'm struggling with the driving aspect.  My first inclination would be to spend a day four songs resting on my laurels, which would pair nicely with a beverage, but not so much driving. Probably going to lean into songs that have my left hand slapping the car door.

Are we going for mood or topicality here?  Or both?
I'm leaning mood, but I'm struggling with the driving aspect.  My first inclination would be to spend a day four songs resting on my laurels, which would pair nicely with a beverage, but not so much driving. Probably going to lean into songs that have my left hand slapping the car door.

This is what I find intriguing about this draft.  Is it you putting yourself into that situation and thinking of what you would listen to (which is how I would draft it), or more "on-the-nose" picks (no weird wording intended) in which the songwriter is talking about this situation?  OH and I talked about this last night and were viewing it differently.  My planned scenarios for weeks 2-4 will raise the same question.

This is what I find intriguing about this draft.  Is it you putting yourself into that situation and thinking of what you would listen to (which is how I would draft it), or more "on-the-nose" picks (no weird wording intended) in which the songwriter is talking about this situation?  OH and I talked about this last night and were viewing it differently.  My planned scenarios for weeks 2-4 will raise the same question.
And geography matters too, to me anyway.  If I'm living in Florida my playlist is lot different than if I were living in West Virgina, or Arizona, or Minnesota. ... If I'm living in Minnesota, the window probably does not get rolled down.  ... And Canada - Hi Canadians!

I would love to be in, but if you have enough I understand.

Great idea.
I think you should be in, and maybe the Captain should close it at 20 people. You would make it 21 (I think with Stevie included), but I would step out cause I have had the good fortune of winning a charity FFA contest before (I think I tied with someone), and I would like someone else to have the opportunity for that chance. I'm thinking that maybe it should be closed at 20 drafters because of the judging. It is 4 songs per person, and with 20 people that is a lot of songs for judges to consider, and some people have short attention spans to begin with. 

I think you should be in, and maybe the Captain should close it at 20 people. You would make it 21 (I think with Stevie included), but I would step out cause I have had the good fortune of winning a charity FFA contest before (I think I tied with someone), and I would like someone else to have the opportunity for that chance. I'm thinking that maybe it should be closed at 20 drafters because of the judging. It is 4 songs per person, and with 20 people that is a lot of songs for judges to consider, and some people have short attention spans to begin with. 

I know which charity contest you won.  ;)

If need be, I'm sure OH would be willing to step out instead.  He just agreed to participate due to my strong-arming   threats  gentle persuasion.

I am fine what whatever time schedule. If I get skipped, no big deal. I would like to win to help my charity but I’m not going to be upset if money goes to other worthwhile causes that you all care about. 

simey raises a good point.  A four song block will be in excess of twelve minutes.  That's four hours for twenty drafters which is a long drive with the windows down. 

I can sit this draft out. Once this one gets rolling, I'm going to fire up the 2021 Song Draft because it's around that time.

We're at 21 now which is fine and everyone who said in thus far is in.  Simey raises a good point about the judging, so let's cap it at 24 if we get there.  

simey said:
Hov34 said:
I would love to be in, but if you have enough I understand.

Great idea.

Thanks, but no way I'm taking your spot - You are an iconic music drafter.  I'll just sit this one out and spectate.

Sweet, I got the prime 7:30am-8:00am slot. 

I have three distinct approaches I’m thinking about and no idea which one I’m going with. 

Users who are viewing this thread