What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charity Music Draft - Theme 1 (1 Viewer)

Also, @Captain Cranks, this is your show so please feel free to delete "amicably" or adjust any way you wish, or if a bunch of people would prefer it that way.  As I said, I originally wrote it up worse - there was infidelity, both people had lost their jobs, etc. - and then I adjusted to make it more subtle in its emotion.
Leave it this way. I like the ambiguity and people can still go with angry breakup songs if that was where they wanted to go. 

Sorry to hear that.  Maybe watch a little Magnolia to get you out of your funk?  ;)

I hope you'll be participating in the next draft.  Only four rounds!
Might need to be a Lost Boys or Gremlins night.   I think the grumpiness started with the wheel of time thread.  :lol:

"It's a dreary Winter evening.  You and your partner have amicably decided to call it quits after a dozen years together, but as you prepared to separate your households, a pandemic struck, causing you to lose your income for the foreseeable future.  Until your job comes back, you and your soon-to-be-ex are living, together but apart, under one roof.  Most of the world is shut down, so you're stuck inside nearly all of the time.  What song are you blasting in the house?" 
There are a ####-ton of choices for draft #2, but I think the 1.01 is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to give a little preview before posting the winners tomorrow.  

21 people voted, including 19 of 22 drafters and two interested observers (Pip and me).

18 of 22 draft lists got at least one vote.   

15 of 22 draft lists received at least two votes.

Of the three lists that received only one vote, two of them were for that list being #1 overall.

The #1 list turned out to be a runaway winner, with more than 2x the total score of the #2 vote-getter.

After #1, the votes were extremely tight, with only one vote separating #2 and #3, and with eight drafters within three points of #2.

Good morning, all.  I told Krista to announce the results whenever she's ready this morning, so if you're still looking to vote get it in ASAP.  

Also, she's got an exciting announcement I think you'll all enjoy.  

🥁

Before I post the top three, I wanted to ANNOUNCE that we are are going to enhance the prizes and include donations for those who come in second and third.  In addition to Captain’s exceedingly generous amount for first, second place will get $200 for their charity, and third will get $100.

THIRD PLACE:

Started off slowly in the voting (though a couple of people told me he just missed making their lists), but came on strong in the end.  Missed out on second place by one point, an especially impressive showing given that he didn't get to make any of his picks until three full rounds had passed!

Congrats @SWC!  Let us know your charity for the $100 donation.

Van Morrison - Days Like This

Bill Withers - Lovely Day

Parliament - Flashlight

Three Dog Night - Shambala

SECOND PLACE:

Two first-place votes, two second, and two third, edging out SWC only by virtue of a late, extra third-place vote.  Oddly enough, both people who voted this list as their second favorite mentioned that they thought his first two picks blew the other contenders out of the water.  What happened in the third and fourth rounds, my dear?  In any case, not a bad showing for someone who isn't competitive.

Congrats to @Oliver Humanzee!

Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up

James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Bellbottoms

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

GRAND CHAMPION:

This turned out to be a shellacking.  This list showed up in the top three from 11 of 21 voters, with seven first-place votes (no one else had more than two) and 28 total points (second place had 12).

Congrats to @Hov34!  

Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now

Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Outkast - Hey Ya! 

GRAND CHAMPION:

This turned out to be a shellacking.  This list showed up in the top three from 11 of 21 voters, with seven first-place votes (no one else had more than two) and 28 total points (second place had 12).

Congrats to @Hov34!  

Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Outkast - Hey Ya! 
Woo-hoo!  This is who I picked.  Way to go, Hov34.  

All winners, please post your selected charities as soon as you can. 

GRAND CHAMPION:

Congrats to @Hov34!  

Prince - Let's Go Crazy

Outkast - Hey Ya! 

Wow, this is really a shock as I thought most of the $ themes would win.  I didn't think I'd even be in the top 5...

Here is the charity I was thinking of from the get go:

https://chanceforhopefoundation.org/

I've really missed drafts with you guys/girls.  FBG is now blocked at work so I've not been on as much as I've wanted to and I miss this community.

Thanks for votes, and especially thanks to @Captain Cranks for doing this!

Wow, this is really a shock as I thought most of the $ themes would win.  I didn't think I'd even be in the top 5...

Here is the charity I was thinking of from the get go:

https://chanceforhopefoundation.org/

I've really missed drafts with you guys/girls.  FBG is now blocked at work so I've not been on as much as I've wanted to and I miss this community.

Thanks for votes, and especially thanks to @Captain Cranks for doing this!
Congrats, HOV!

That was the same charity I had in mind if I had won.

Did your company block FBGs as a "gambling" site? Mine did several years ago for a couple of days or weeks, then all of a sudden I had access again.

. Then I chuckled and realized country has this covered for decades
I wonder if countryish sounding songs are the kiss of death in these things. I know some do not like twang even if it hardly is.

Speaking of countryish, I'm going to Durham today to hang with some friends and see Amanda Anne Platt and The Honeycutters (formerly known as The Honeycutters). They are playing tonight at the Blue Note Grill. They are doing a holiday show, and it should be good.   🎅 🤠

I wonder if countryish sounding songs are the kiss of death in these things. I know some do not like twang even if it hardly is.

Speaking of countryish, I'm going to Durham today to hang with some friends and see Amanda Anne Platt and The Honeycutters (formerly known as The Honeycutters). They are playing tonight at the Blue Note Grill. They are doing a holiday show, and it should be good.   🎅 🤠

Would you consider yours and Dr. O's lists to be the countryish ones this time?  You both got votes, and not necessarily from each other.  

You like country. I voted you as my #2.
Like with many things, I have a love/hate relationship with Country. I'm not crazy about what commercial country radio plays. I don't find it offensive or badly done or anything like that...... it's just boring to me. 

One of the great things about the internet age is that there are many more outlets for music than what gets played in the middle of an FM dial. And a lot of folks who would have gotten zero airplay 20 years ago can find an audience nowadays in other ways. Especially female artists, when it comes to country. 

Like with many things, I have a love/hate relationship with Country. I'm not crazy about what commercial country radio plays. I don't find it offensive or badly done or anything like that...... it's just boring to me. 
I am not a fan of commercial country radio either, or I guess it can also be called pop country. 

I am not a fan of commercial country radio either, or I guess it can also be called pop country. 

I despise pop country, and that's a euphemism.  

Huge fan of outlaw country, Waylon/Willie/Cash/Haggard etc.

Trying to channel Mister CIA  :tinfoilhat:   I'm guessing it's a play off the song that shares the same title as the movie, but I'm not sure. 
Actually no music connection, just pointing out how obvious the #1 pick in draft is... I might have been under the influence too.

Users who are viewing this thread