What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlie "Shining Path" Bosworth, RIP (2 Viewers)

He was a great iGuy and a source of much information that helped me form some real life dicussions with people on many of the topics he was knowledgable about.

Like everyone else, I'll miss his posts and his wit. Plus, for some reason I'll miss that Tinky Winky avatar.

RIP Shiny and prayers for his family.

:(

rip shining path...

I am debtor to all, to all am I bounded,

Fellowman and beast, season and solstice, darkness and light,

And life and death. On the backs of the dead,

See, I am borne, on lost errands led,

By spent harvest nourished. Forgotten prayers

To gods forgotten bring blessing upon me.

Rusted arrow and broken bow, look, they preserve me

Here in this place. The never-won stronghold

That sank in the ground as the years into time,

Slowly with all its men steadfast and watching,

Keep me safe now. The ancient waters

Cleanse me, revive me. Victor and vanquished

Give me their passion, their peace and the field.

The meadows of Lethe shed twilight around me,

The dead in their silences keep me in memory,

Have me in hold. To all I am bounded.

Edwin Muir

Wow. What sad news. I always took the time to read anything SP had to say and had an immense amount of respect for his intellect and humor.

Really sad to hear that. Even though we hardly ever agreed, I actually liked the guy.

Simply tragic.

The world just lost one of the few brilliant, funny, thoughtful and emotionally and intellectually generous people it had.

Eventually, when this hurts less, I hope Bob Sac, bigb and scoobs write a song about him.

I think shiny would like the idea of that.

This sucks

RIP Shiny

My chats with him revolved around poker when the boom hit...

You will be missed!

I know some were concerned that mentioning that he was a LABSian might cause side discussions about LABS and take focus off of Shiney's passing but I don't care...

Shiney...was...LABS. He was one of the very building blocks of that group. The heart and soul. The wit and charm. And now with his passing, I'm reminded of that tower in Pisa...LABS may still be standing, but it's facade is forever altered.

My thoughts AND PRAYERS go out to all his friends and family. I'll miss you tremendously, Shiney.

I know some were concerned that mentioning that he was a LABSian might cause side discussions about LABS and take focus off of Shiney's passing but I don't care...Shiney...was...LABS. He was one of the very building blocks of that group. The heart and soul. The wit and charm. And now with his passing, I'm reminded of that tower in Pisa...LABS may still be standing, but it's facade is forever altered.My thoughts AND PRAYERS go out to all his friends and family. I'll miss you tremendously, Shiney.
:goodposting:

Local guy and I never did meet him. Shame because he was a heck of a nice guy.My prayers to the family.
I thought the same thing. He was right around the corner from me, and although we exchanged a few PMs we never met up. What a missed opportunity.

God speed SP! My best to his family and friends. I am still stunned by this. When he found out I was history professor, it led to some of the best discussions I have have ever had on military history. He is missed greatly. :lmao:

Hard to explain how much this news hurts, except it appears many others feel the same pain. A loss for us all, and I can only imagine for those close to him.

####### sucks.

There is no easy way to post a thread like this, but we’ve just learned that our friend Charlie “Shining Path” Bosworth passed away at the end of May. It is perhaps a commentary on our own busy lives that many of us who considered Shiny among our best online friends did not notice that he was no longer posting. It is an oversight that we are all sick over.To the friends he made online, Shiny was a huge part of what made this community special. It’s been a place to argue and to commiserate, but mostly a place to make each other laugh. And for nine years, Shiny, perhaps uniquely, did just that.A lot of silly things about Shiny have become a part of board lore. Things like his high school era pompadour, his encyclopedic knowledge of Bloom County, or his hysterical contributions to classic threads like The Russian Bride Draft or the old Amoeba Art thread on the yellow board. On the serious side, those of us who really valued learning about science came to rely on his patient, thorough explanations of highly technical concepts.We will miss those things, but we will mostly miss our friend. Many of us have developed real, brick and mortar friendships over the years. To my knowledge Shiny never met any of us in person. It is an oversight that we are saddened that we will never have a chance to correct. But Shiny was no less special to us for being most immediately recognizable by his purple Tinky Winky avatar. Despite being “only” an online acquaintance, Shiny had helped many of us deal with harrowing personal crises. When family members became sick or when marriages were in trouble -- whenever things seemed bleakest -- Shiny was usually the first to remind us that laughter was the best medicine.This board encompasses a great diversity of religious and secular beliefs. Shiny has, at times, been a part of the debate concerning those issues. But in this, we hope the community at FBGs can all respond nearly as one. For those of you that believe, we hope you will say a prayer for the Bosworth family. For those that don’t, we ask that you remember Charlie in your way, fondly.We are going to try to reach out to the Bosworth family and will share with all of you any charity that the family identifies for donations.Thanks-Charlie's friends
Saw this for the first time today. Wow, just wow. I always liked shining path and drafted against him more than a few times. GB and RIP god buddy.Gator.

I have a really hard remembering or differentiating most of the FFA posters... no the case with Shining.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. 37?! ugh.

The one person who always was there to help encourage me to do start up my own fantasy football website to compete with this place was Shiny. He was the first person to sign up for my forum I tried to get off the ground last year and offered to help steer traffic to me. I made the decision at the time to hold off though. I could have gone the other way on that and he probably winds up co-modding with me or something. I worked more with him on that than anyone else.

Wow. I would've told you that you were crazy if you told me that hearing the news of someone dying that I only knew through the internet would've affected me this much. Very sobering news. Best wishes to his fiance and family.

RIP Shinging Path

SaveFerrisB said:
shiney was one of the smartest people I ever encountered.What struck me about him was the depth of his knowledge in his expert subjects:He had a Master's in biochem, and was pursuing a PhD in some science discipline I can't spell or pronounce.He was a walking encyclopedia of World War II.He would pick up on any Bloom County reference, no matter how subtle.He was a wealth of information on UNC basketball, past and present.He was one of the few on this board that regularly used SAT-level vocabulary words correctly in sentences.What made shiney different was how he handled his knowledge, and how he continued to feed his curiosity. shiney would take the time to explain basic concepts in an area of his expertise to someone with no formal knowledge of it without being a condescending #######. That was one of many things that separated him from a lot of the others on this board, including me. When shiney was in a discussion where we wasn't the expert, he would ask smart questions about it. He didn't need to be the most knowledgeable person in the conversation to participate in it.shiney was the recipient of the first PM I ever sent at FBG. It was in reaction to a thread where a local politician was getting tossed under the bus over public use of the phrase "tar baby". As the FFA Reflexively Irate were tripping over themselves to show who was most offended by the statement, shiney stepped in to explain a bit about the politician's background and the origin of the "tar baby" phrase. He signed off the post with the phrase, "Welcome to the big city, you poor *******."I guess you had to be there. It cracked me up. I was impressed with how much he knew about the subject, how he could explain how the controversy happened without being alarmist, and the entertaining conclusion. I sent him a PM telling him I was a fan.shiney was the mastermind behind the Russian Bride Draft. He made it happen. The RBD still cracks me up today. If I had to pick one thread in the history of the board as the Greatest Thread Ever, the Russian Bride Draft would be it. It's hard to call someone you never met in person, or even talked to on the phone, a friend. But that's how I would describe shiney. Other folks on this board have i-known him a lot longer than I did - some regulars and former regulars here have interacted with him since back in the cheatsheets.net days nine years ago. I'm sad that shiney is gone. I will miss him. My heart goes out to folks that knew him better than I did, especially those from his brick-and-mortar circles. Hearing the news took the wind right out of me - I can't imagine what it was like for people who knew him his whole life.
Great post Ferris.I can't believe this....Charles was the first guy I ever PM'd at FBG. :crazy: :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread