What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (14 Viewers)

Unfortunately, the Bears get screwed every single year due to always having a tougher SOS than other teams with the same record as they have and always get punished with a worse draft pick because of it.
That's why they keep trading their draft picks away <insert meme of the smiling guy pointing to his head>

The season is somewhat of a success though- they have a qb and have a top 3-5 pick. This will be a big off-season and they cannot afford to blow it.
Absolutely - and next years draft is jam packed with talent - although unfortunately not at OT, where they could use it. I'd love to see Jalen Carter drop to them - that'd be perfect.

The season is somewhat of a success though- they have a qb and have a top 3-5 pick. This will be a big off-season and they cannot afford to blow it.
Absolutely - and next years draft is jam packed with talent - although unfortunately not at OT, where they could use it. I'd love to see Jalen Carter drop to them - that'd be perfect.
Gonna be hard to pass up Will Anderson, if he's there. Huge talent

Surely, they'll load up on OL and wr in the upcoming draft. Could use FA for the defensive side of the ball.
One or two of our top draft picks are going to DEF. Mark that down. We need a 3T DL and help on the Edge, probably another LB as well. This is why I'm really hoping we can trade down a few spots to pick up one of the top Edges (or Jalen Carter if he's not gone already) and some later 1st/2nd draft capital.

Surely, they'll load up on OL and wr in the upcoming draft. Could use FA for the defensive side of the ball.
One or two of our top draft picks are going to DEF. Mark that down. We need a 3T DL and help on the Edge, probably another LB as well. This is why I'm really hoping we can trade down a few spots to pick up one of the top Edges (or Jalen Carter if he's not gone already) and some later 1st/2nd draft capital.
Not as big of a year this year but Anderson is still the concensus top pass rusher.

Not as big of a year this year but Anderson is still the concensus top pass rusher.
Love Anderson, but there are 3-4 1st round quality Edges in this draft as opposed to 1-2 1st round quality 3 tech DTs. If the Bears can manage to pull one of each as well as a top tier WR in the first two rounds I will be impressed with Poles.

Trade that early pick to a team looking for a franchise QB and load up on picks. There will be a ton of talent available on the 2nd day.
This will be one of the more interesting first rounds in some time. Seattle, Detroit, Houston, and Philly all have 2 1st rounders, each will one in the top 10.

Love Anderson, but there are 3-4 1st round quality Edges in this draft as opposed to 1-2 1st round quality 3 tech DTs. If the Bears can manage to pull one of each as well as a top tier WR in the first two rounds I will be impressed with Poles.
Agreed

Bears still on track for a top 3 pick. Top 5 at worst. They always get punished in the draft for having a tougher SOS than everyone. So dumb to be penalized for that.

Fun stat: Justin Fields has 50+ rushing yards and a TD, in 6 straight games. Matt Forte never did that, Neal Anderson never did that, hell Walter Payton never did that. You have to go all the way back to Gale Sayers in 1969.

ETA: Also the first QB with a rushing TD in 6 straight games, since Johnny Lujack in 1950.

Never been happier about the Bears future/terrible season. I think that anyone who has been paying attention can clearly see the freaking huge step forward Fields has made over the past two years/3 months/last week. The kid just keeps getting better and better and I think the Bears have finally found a true stud/franchise player at the QB spot for the next decade barring catastrophic injury. They will get their franchise player on the defensive side of the ball come spring and I think the rise from bad team to yearly playoff contender should be fairly swift. Never would have thought such a bad team could have me feeling so confident about their future.

Never been happier about the Bears future/terrible season. I think that anyone who has been paying attention can clearly see the freaking huge step forward Fields has made over the past two years/3 months/last week. The kid just keeps getting better and better and I think the Bears have finally found a true stud/franchise player at the QB spot for the next decade barring catastrophic injury. They will get their franchise player on the defensive side of the ball come spring and I think the rise from bad team to yearly playoff contender should be fairly swift. Never would have thought such a bad team could have me feeling so confident about their future.
And don’t forget, fun as heck to watch. I’m not a Bears fan but Fields is exciting

Yesterday's game is a microcosm of how awful the WR room is. It needs to be addressed in both the draft and free agency and needs to be a priority.

Not much to pick from in FA in the WR market. I'm all for throwing the bank at OL and going hard at WR and defense in the draft.

Best case scenario here. Now, we need to trade back, get a huge 23 and 24 haul for that #1 and stock up on studs over the next 2 years to put QB1 in a position to bring us a Superbowl.

Texans were the only team with two 4th-and-10 conversions in the same game this year... and they did them on the same drive in the fourth quarter of Week 18 to ensure they didn't get the No. 1 pick.

The Texans 4th-and-20 TD pass to lose the No. 1 pick was literally the only 4th-and-20+ conversion in the NFL all season long. Everybody else was 0-for-9 in that scenario

Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

Bears can certainly take Will Anderson Jr. with No. 1 overall pick. He's worth the selection. Though the organization may not want to risk losing him. At the same time, the Bears MUST build around Justin Fields and have needs everywhere, which makes a trade-down tantalizing.

I like the idea of trading down with the Colts at #4. Young and Stroud will go 1 and 2. Leaving either Carter or Anderson for the Bears. Irsay has already been vocal about no more stop gap QBs and they want to draft one.

I'd be disappointed if we trade back past 5 unless it is an incredible haul.

FA Moves:
Upgrade at RB - Jacobs, Sanders, Barkley (maybe Pollard). I'd welcome Monty back at a hometown discount.

Get a #3 WR - I love how Ju-Ju would fit in this offense. Lazard or Jakobi Meyers might be worth looks.

DL - Sounds like DeRon Payne is the prize FA. As long as they dont break the bank, I'm good with it. This could change if they are high on Carter though.

OL - upgrades and depth

I like the idea of trading down with the Colts at #4. Young and Stroud will go 1 and 2. Leaving either Carter or Anderson for the Bears. Irsay has already been vocal about no more stop gap QBs and they want to draft one.

I'd be disappointed if we trade back past 5 unless it is an incredible haul.
This. A trade back but within the top 4 is the dream scenario.

This organization and fan base needs Anderson or Carter. Desperately need a big gun to rally around on D.

Let's hope it was the Ravens 2, not ours.
Sleeper reporting its the Bears pick
That seems like it will be too valuable a pick for this guy. We'll see.
It was absolutely too valuable a pick. 32nd pick for Chase freakin Claypool. This guy better be a monster next year.
Plus, the first pick of the 2nd round is a great trade chip in today's NFL where everyone gets to have a full day to regroup after round one. Lot of offers come in for that pick.

As an outsider, didn't get the trade when they made it. They knew it would be a top 5 pick in 2nd round, and other than a few flashes, Claypool hasn't shown much, plus only one year left on his rookie contract. I know they wanted to give Fields another option, but a really high cost. Patience would have been a better path there.

As an outsider, didn't get the trade when they made it. They knew it would be a top 5 pick in 2nd round, and other than a few flashes, Claypool hasn't shown much, plus only one year left on his rookie contract. I know they wanted to give Fields another option, but a really high cost. Patience would have been a better path there.
Won't find many that disagree. Poles blew that one when he's otherwise been very patient.

I heard Joe Banner on a podcast say he did a study on teams with a lot of draft picks and that they tended to move those picks cheaper then teams with a normal draft allotment(I've noticed this in fantasy as well). I think once they got the second for Roquan Smith that Poles fell into this mental trap.

One of the challenges in trying to gauge the NFL Draft for the bears is all this cap space.
Until they spend half of it in free agency and plug a few gaping holes they have everywhere, kinda hard to project what is the best game plan starting with the No 1 pick

Despite the Texans winning vs the Bears late in the year, I don't understand why people think the Bears cannot squeeze the Texans out of a '24 Draft pick and something perhaps in the 2nd or 3rd round this year to swap spots. Especially if the Bears can work out a trade with Indy at No 4 which is the next safe spot for them to land and still get a quality player for the DL/OL, that's where they need the most help.

What I am saying is the Bears should be able to leverage the 2 and 4 picks against each other and if need be they can look to Seattle at 5 and Carolina at No 9 would likely trade quite a lot lot move up to No 1, Two 1st Rd picks for starters and then likely their 2nd Rd pick this year.

It would be nice for the Bears to have a couple 1st round picks in the '24 and '25 Draft as back up in case Fields does not make the leap to franchise QB.
That Chi-Hou game means nothing right now other than the 1 and 2 spot.
The Texans cannot rig games or lose on purpose so don't blame them for wanting to secure the No 1 spot now so they can have their pick of the QB Draft Class

2-Hou
4-Indy
5-Seattle
7-Vegas
9-Carolina

There's the attack list for trade partners.

I'm really disappointed with the Jalen Carter news and DeRon Payne getting the franchise tag.

As an average fan, the thought has always been a trade back to #4 would at least land them Anderson or Carter. I'm thinking Carter drops substantially based on what we know today. This makes that Indy pick less appealing. However the Bears are rumored to be looking hard at Tyree Wilson who could be a top 5 pick.

Bears have plenty of cap space and I don't think they even know where they are going to spend the money.

We probably overpay for an OT and DT at this point. McGlinchy or McGary and Possibly Dremont Jones at DT.

I think the Bears set the RB market this off-season. A couple big names could be in play. I don't think Montgomery is worth bringing back unless they get a hometown discount.

WR market improved with Robert Woods' release. I like him or JuJu to round out a 3 WR set. No stud #1 there, but Mooney, Claypool and woods/smith is a solid group.

This leaves Edge rusher as the most glaring need. There are probably 3 guys who go in the top 10 of the Draft and the Bears need one of them.

I'm still on board with a trade down to 4, but I think that draft slot lost value with the Carter news. Indy needs to bring a strong offer.

I'm really disappointed with the Jalen Carter news and DeRon Payne getting the franchise tag.

As an average fan, the thought has always been a trade back to #4 would at least land them Anderson or Carter. I'm thinking Carter drops substantially based on what we know today. This makes that Indy pick less appealing. However the Bears are rumored to be looking hard at Tyree Wilson who could be a top 5 pick.

Bears have plenty of cap space and I don't think they even know where they are going to spend the money.

We probably overpay for an OT and DT at this point. McGlinchy or McGary and Possibly Dremont Jones at DT.

I think the Bears set the RB market this off-season. A couple big names could be in play. I don't think Montgomery is worth bringing back unless they get a hometown discount.

WR market improved with Robert Woods' release. I like him or JuJu to round out a 3 WR set. No stud #1 there, but Mooney, Claypool and woods/smith is a solid group.

This leaves Edge rusher as the most glaring need. There are probably 3 guys who go in the top 10 of the Draft and the Bears need one of them.

I'm still on board with a trade down to 4, but I think that draft slot lost value with the Carter news. Indy needs to bring a strong offer.
First, Jalen Carter was charged with two misdemeanors. Honestly (fair or not), I don't think it will really affect his draft stock much. If it does, there are several DTs in the first round that the Bears can go after if they so choose. Byran Bresee is one that comes to mind who's projected into the upper middle first round.

Second, I can't imagine Poles doesn't have a plan already. My guess is they will evaluate the rookies who attend the combine and then weave that into their strategy for drafting and acquiring FAs. Whether it's a good plan or not, who knows? Poles has talked a good bit about building through the draft. I'm not sure what I expect from him in the FA market this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make a lot of huge splash signings. Probably a veteran OT, maybe an Edge and LB. I wouldn't expect them to be the biggest names on the FA market either.

Finally, I'm concerned with picking up a FA WR. None of them really give the Bears what they need, which is a big, alpha WR. I'd like to see them take a WR in the mid to lower 1st round this year. Someone along the lines of Quentin Johnson would be perfect.

Payne getting the tag is great news in my opinion. I don't think he's all that good. He's the 4th best DL on Washington, and would have looked a ton worse seeing double teams on the Bears.

McGlinchey would be a solid signing. I'd like to see them just roll with Khalil Herbert at RB, and maybe draft a mid round guy in a deep draft.

I think Marcus Davenport, and Jamel Dean are interesting FAs, who are likely to hit the market given NO and TB's cap issues.

I'd want to aim high at WR. Maybe a deal for Hopkins/Cooks?

I think with the Carter news, I'd be happy to trade down lower than 4. If they ended up at #8 or #9 or still got say Tyree Wilson, Devon Witherspoon, or Christian Gonzalez.

Users who are viewing this thread