What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did anyone in Redraft pair Justin Fields with Anthony Richardson? What are your current options as you move forward? (2 Viewers)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I have no problem when guys want to take a shot and draft a high upside QB that comes with some heavy risk
I don't expect people to do it twice however on the same roster.
I cannot understand why folks thought Justin Fields was a safe bet coming off a year where it seemed FF'ers were more interested in his rushing totals.
It's a QUARTERBACK but apparently a hybrid Halfback is what is appealing to so many...some of you would have loved 1930s professional football
The Bears were coming off a 3 win season and a lot of folks thought they did lousy trading and moving their draft picks plus the actual selections, there wasn't a lot of Bears' sizzle
I'm not sure why people felt he was a safe play in the Top10 Quarterbacks list

All that said, fine. Just pair him with a solid vet so you have some back up in case things don't go as planned.
But why do that when you can draft Anthony Richardson, another questionable Quarterback that was not being hailed for much he could do with his arm but rather his legs.
I posted with many over the summer and was mostly painted as being out of touch with the modern NFL.
They pointed to Justin Fields as their yard marker for the marvels of ARich

And maybe they're right, maybe next year will be the year of the running QB but this year it feels like mobile QBs are getting hammered and a lot of it I put squraely on the OC/HC, this isn't a tear down of individual players as much as it is a lot of people falling for false propaganda. You gotta show the defense you can hurt them thru the air and then you start calling designed runs for the QB and I don't think those should be coming on 1st Down every time where they just take the snap and go...what is the difference between that and just push the pile? You are using the QB as a battering ram basically, i want no part of that.

-Let's discuss the holy grail of mobile QBs in my lifetime, I've never seen anyone better or nearly as good as Michael Vick being a dual threat.
What made Vick so amazing was that he could stand flat footed and launch the ball 70 yards, maybe not dead on the money but the guy could launch the ball and sometimes it felt like he was just flicking it 30-40 yds down the field. When he did run the ball, it usually was a scramble when the pocket broke down, that is where he was most effective IMHO.

And I have several Redraft leagues where this pairing was done at QB prior to Week 1 or shortly after, this wasn't just a handful of folks on a rogue message board, this was done in a lot of places.
I'm flabbergasted at what I thought was a basic rule everyone usually followed at QB. Pair upside with steady production and see what happens.
Instead it seems a lot of folks just went Upside-Upside and didn't look at any potential floor or problems that could rise due to injury
Lamar Jackson is maybe the best at Pass/Run right now and he hasn't finished the last couple of seasons only playing 12 games in a 17 game schedule or about two thirds.

I also wanted to have a thread where people can get it off their chests outside of individual player threads. It's not gonna do me much good to argue with folks still posting in those player threads since the 2023 season is over for ARich,,,and Fields also sounds like he might miss quite a bit of time. Folks posting in their have long term investments in Dynasty and they feel they've seen enough in Anthony Richardson to label him "Elite" so I already know ARich is going to be a Top 10 QB drafted net year in Redraft Leagues which is again perplexing to me.

I would like to hear some feedback without a lot of hostility but I understand
That's why i am trying to take it out of the specific player threads, folks are still tender from these injuries

Last edited:
And I would be a complete jerk if I didn't have something for those that went this route to shoot for, the purpose was not to make folks keep bleeding
It's not how many times you hit the canvas, c'mon! Get UP!!! Shake it OFF!

The SEASON is not OVER!!!

1st Target: Russ Wilson, you can laugh but he's had a couple nice games and coming off a poor performance, you can likely get him for a swan song right now, he's a back up on most rosters
The Denver schedule gets a little easier and I think they will look better the 2nd Half of the season.

Go get Russ is my 1st suggestion and see what unfolds.

2nd Target: Geno Smith, he's been quiet and I think his best days in '23 are ahead of him. Seattle is fighting for the Playoffs and I feel like he is due for a couple breakout games coming up.
I doubt he would cost much in a trade, some leagues he might even be sitting on the waiver wire if you have 15-16 man rosters where some only carry 1 QB

3rd Target but comes with even more risk

Baker Mayfield, oh yes! He stinks vs the better teams but he seems to do yeoman's work against average and subpar defenses
Look at Baker's schedule rest of the season, couple tough games but HOU, TEN, INDY, CAR, ATL, GB, JAX, NO and CAR to close out the season
2 games left that are just tough vs SF and they travel to Buffalo week 8 but otherwise you should feel OK at QB most weeks if you have a strong team

I assume if you did the Fields/Arich walk that you loaded up at RB and WR perhaps TE and you likely just need steady production at QB
Get UP!!

And I would be a complete jerk if I didn't have something for those that went this route to shoot for, the purpose was not to make folks keep bleeding
It's not how many times you hit the canvas, c'mon! Get UP!!! Shake it OFF!

The SEASON is not OVER!!!

1st Target: Russ Wilson, you can laugh but he's had a couple nice games and coming off a poor performance, you can likely get him for a swan song right now, he's a back up on most rosters
The Denver schedule gets a little easier and I think they will look better the 2nd Half of the season.

Go get Russ is my 1st suggestion and see what unfolds.

2nd Target: Geno Smith, he's been quiet and I think his best days in '23 are ahead of him. Seattle is fighting for the Playoffs and I feel like he is due for a couple breakout games coming up.
I doubt he would cost much in a trade, some leagues he might even be sitting on the waiver wire if you have 15-16 man rosters where some only carry 1 QB
Just picked Geno up to cover Cousins this week since he is playing SF without Jefferson. He got dropped by a team with heavy bye issues and injuries to cover. Good match up against the Cards this week and has Washington in three weeks. Plus his playoff schedule is Philly, who is giving up a lot of passing yards, Titans and Steelers. Not a bad option if you don't have a top QB.

If I get a high end QB, Mahomes, Josh Allen, I often won't even draft a backup qb. I drafted Fields in a league but he was a riskier QB (not due to injury but production concerns) which is why he was often drafted as a 8/9 QB. I did draft AR as well but it was an upside shot in the event Fields didn't work out. I have no interest in grabbing a top qb and clogging my roster with an ok #16-20 QB on my roster just in case. To me, safe is a waste...I can pickup safe / low production on the WW now.

It happened to work out that both Fields and AR got hurt but I wouldn't change my draft philosophy or strategy at all. If AR doesn't get hurt you have an incredible trade chip...he got hurt and it didn't work out but that's ok. Are AR/Fields more susceptible to injury than Mahomes, Lamar, Josh Allen, Hurts? Injuries happen....Trevor Lawrence, Carr, Daniel Jones, Gaoppolo, Deshaun Watson, Tannehill are all banged up this week. Most of those guys could be the "safe" option that you took in the event Fields got hurt and in the end you're in the same spot if you took AR as the backup. Football is a brutal game.

I'll admit to taking them both in a best ball. I also went Trevor Lawrence for the "safe" option. Took Fields at QB6, Lawrence at QB9 and Richardson at QB14.

The first two were around preseason ADP, and I believe Richardson was a value. Unlucky at the position but wouldn't hesitate to do it again (just probably with a more elite option like LJAX or Hurts in the 1st spot if possible)

I'll admit to taking them both in a best ball. I also went Trevor Lawrence for the "safe" option. Took Fields at QB6, Lawrence at QB9 and Richardson at QB14.

The first two were around preseason ADP, and I believe Richardson was a value. Unlucky at the position but wouldn't hesitate to do it again (just probably with a more elite option like LJAX or Hurts in the 1st spot if possible)
Best Ball is totally different format, I applaud you for going 1-2-3, that's a format I used to love and enjoyed taking big swings

In a 12-man redraft league with short benches, had AR paired with Dak. That's the category of safe route I think MoP is referring to.

Of course, Dak is on a bye this week, so had to scramble for a pickup. Got Dobbs, dropped AR. Decided to go all in and grab Kyler Murray, dropped Perine. Operating with a really thin bench now (no owners carry 3 QB in this format) but will drop Dobbs when Murray plays and hope to catch lightning in a bottle. Scrambling and gambling.

It's a shame because when AR was playing, he was really racking up the production. I have no regrets; I believe I took AR as QB 8 or 9. Thinking most probably took him in that range (redraft). He was a high risk/high reward proposition.

. I drafted Fields in a league but he was a riskier QB (not due to injury but production concerns) which is why he was often drafted as a 8/9 QB. I did draft AR as well but it was an upside shot in the event Fields didn't work out. I have no interest in grabbing a top qb and clogging my roster with an ok #16-20 QB on my roster just in case. To me, safe is a waste...I can pickup safe / low production on the WW now.
I guess this debate really comes down to your impression of Fields going into the season. I think MOP saw him as a big risk as an unproven player that gained most if not all of his value from his legs with very little from his arm. Not really a proven top tier QB. You seem to be more along the lines of Fields being more proven so taking the upside play of AR was worthwhile. If you believed Fields to be more of a proven commodity the upside play is more warranted.

For me, I was either taking AR as my upside play QB starter and followed with a safer guy like Dak or Stafford where I had a higher floor guy to insert in case of injury/failure. I did take AR as my 2nd QB in a couple places because I thought his value was too high for where I was getting him. I did that because I wanted to keep the upside (and subsequent value he became) away from someone else. I did that in a league where I had Herbert as my QB1.

Longtime deep league fantasy vet / rotoworld refugee lurker for the last few months.

I did this in both my leagues this year. Gambling for the legitimate upside of overall qb1 without having to break the bank. x2

But mostly it was because the NFC North and AFC South have cupcake schedules which I felt I could be exploited since SOS isn't baked into rankings. Never seen more brutal schedules than for AFC/NFC East.

Riding or dying with Carr now since I've got Olave and Kamara on both rosters. It's all or nothing which is how I roll anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread