What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chicago Cubs 2010 Bandwagon *** (1 Viewer)

Supposedly Soto has lost 30 pounds since the season ended and Zambrano claims he has abs (visible). Not sure how one can lose 30 pounds in 3 1/2 months if they aren't 400 pounds to start with but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt. There have been some whispers about Soto, how he came out of nowhere to put up big power #s in 2008. Hopefully it was legit.
He was never in good shape before 2007. Soto got much much fitter and it helped lead to a great minor league year and then even more fit in 2008, a great rookie year. He fell off last year and the extra weight could easily be seen. I assume a 800+ OPS rebound this year.

Second Base - ??? - Mike Fontenot fell apart in every way last year. The most significant drop was his walk rate and it was pretty easy to see him struggling to get ahead in the count all year. However, Jeff Baker was an above average offensive force in his partial Cubs debut. I have no idea what to expect from either of these players. But there is a small chance that Theriot is moved to 2B if Starlin Castro can prove in spring training that he should be the starting shortstop.
Curious about this guy. Anyone have the scoop?
Castro hit the ball well in High A, then improved in AA, and then destroyed the AFL with really good contact. He is described as a plus shortstop defender and good speed. He hasn't learned how to steal with great success (about 66%) and he isn't a slugger. But he is only 19 and scouts seem to think he will end up with Renteria/Jeter type power and become a 300-15 type hitter. He doesn't walk much but doesn't strike out much either. He is probably a half to full year away from the Cubs but he is invited to spring training so he will get his chance and we will get to watch him.

Thoughts on Randy Wells?

Apparently, he isn't a very hard thrower and relies on ground ball outs. Seems to have excellent control given his walk rate. My quick glance had him in the top 25 amongst pitchers with 150 innings or more last year.

K's aren't sexy at the big league level but was more than adequate in the minors.

Hard for me to see him duplicating last year, but I am hardpressed to consider him risky in the since of imploding. He seems like a guy who will be "plain jane" and put up decent, but not stellar stats.

Thoughts on Randy Wells?Apparently, he isn't a very hard thrower and relies on ground ball outs. Seems to have excellent control given his walk rate. My quick glance had him in the top 25 amongst pitchers with 150 innings or more last year.K's aren't sexy at the big league level but was more than adequate in the minors.Hard for me to see him duplicating last year, but I am hardpressed to consider him risky in the since of imploding. He seems like a guy who will be "plain jane" and put up decent, but not stellar stats.
I'm sure the stat guys will have more data for you, but from a purely "I watched the guy" perspective he's for real. Some guys just know how to pitch and he's one of them.Not to get crazy or anything, but he reminds me a lot of Greg Maddux.

Thoughts on Randy Wells?Apparently, he isn't a very hard thrower and relies on ground ball outs. Seems to have excellent control given his walk rate. My quick glance had him in the top 25 amongst pitchers with 150 innings or more last year.K's aren't sexy at the big league level but was more than adequate in the minors.Hard for me to see him duplicating last year, but I am hardpressed to consider him risky in the since of imploding. He seems like a guy who will be "plain jane" and put up decent, but not stellar stats.
I'm sure the stat guys will have more data for you, but from a purely "I watched the guy" perspective he's for real. Some guys just know how to pitch and he's one of them.Not to get crazy or anything, but he reminds me a lot of Greg Maddux.
I wouldn't go as far as Maddux but he was impressive last year in the forcing hitters to hit pitcher pitches a majority of the time. I do have to say though that I am hoping more than expecting a repeat performance.

Nady had a huge composite season in 2008: 37 doubles 25 HR 97 RBI .305 BA .510 slugging and .867 OPS. By the end of the year it will be interesting to see how much playing time he snags away from ####odome.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's healthy, he's a great platoon partner for Koske.
If healthy, he's a better player
Kosuke is the better fielder and the better on base guy. He was actually an OPS+ (104) hitter last year. 2008 was the only year that Nady was actually a noticably better hitter (OPS - 127) than what Kosuke did last year. Also, Kosuke might fit better in the lineup as the power slots are all taken and he fits much better at the top of the lineup.If Nady is showing his 2008 form, you have to get him in the lineup somewhere. But as it stands now, Kosuke is the better option until proven otherwise.

And the Cubs should retire his number anyways.
the headline on frak was funny.The Baseball Hall of Fame decides it would be less embarrassing for Andre Dawson to go into the Hall of Fame representing a team that no longer exists instead of the Cubs

joking aside, if you look at the numbers its probably the right decision, but an argument can be made for the Cubs since he was an MVP for them and with WGN he was brought more fame with the Cubs.

Cubs also added Chad Tracy on a minor league deal. After a great year in 2005 he has had injuries and below average performance at the plate. If he can show signs of life, he could challenge Hoffpauir at backup 1B with the additional ability to play 3rd.

the headline on frak was funny.The Baseball Hall of Fame decides it would be less embarrassing for Andre Dawson to go into the Hall of Fame representing a team that no longer exists instead of the Cubs

joking aside, if you look at the numbers its probably the right decision, but an argument can be made for the Cubs since he was an MVP for them and with WGN he was brought more fame with the Cubs.
I agree. Dawson was a better player with the Expos and his MVP year was not his best year. However, the gap isn't too wide and he will probably be remembered more as a Cub. By the way, how bad was Expos management that Dawson basically signed a blank contract to play with the Cubs. They offered him 500K and he thought he was going to an organization that would treat him better.

boubucarow said:
whitem0nkey said:
boubucarow said:
pantagrapher said:

I agree. Dawson was a better player with the Expos and his MVP year was not his best year. However, the gap isn't too wide and he will probably be remembered more as a Cub. By the way, how bad was Expos management that Dawson basically signed a blank contract to play with the Cubs. They offered him 500K and he thought he was going to an organization that would treat him better.
Dawson was a monster his first year with the Cubs and had basically no protection in the lineup. Really sucks that Montreal turf killed his knees.

Castro is getting almost universal recognition as the top shortstop prospect in the minors (ESPN, MLB, BA). His walk rate and power are the only concerns raised. Most will be stunned if he is the opening day shortstop but he appears to be headed towards a debut this year.

Castro along with 2009 #1 pick Brett Jackson, Josh Vitters, and Andrew Cashner are among the non-roster invites to spring training.

Looking at the team right now....

Catcher - Soto and Hill are basically a given. The Cubs do have a bunch of catcher prospects in camp this year including Chris Robinson, Steve Clevenger, Robinson Chirinos, and Welington Castillo who all could be MLB catchers in the near future and a could put up a fight for the backup job if given the chance.

Infield - Lee, Ramirez, and Theriot are set. I assume that Blanco is the backup SS this year unless Castro wins the SS job moving Theriot to 2B and backup SS. I wonder if the Cubs will keep Fontenot on the roster if Baker clearly wins the job. Hoffpauir and possibly Nady could back up Lee. Since Hoffpauir was a bit of a disappointment last year, Chad Tracy might be given a shot to take over the backup role to Lee and also should be able to play some 3B so the Cubs are stuck with the backup 2B as their primary backup.

Outfield - Assuming Nady passes his physical, he will join Soriano, Byrd, and Kosuke in what will probably look like a 4 man rotation. Assuming Kosuke is the backup CF, Hoffpauir could be the 5th OF. Fuld is also in the picture.

Starters - Zambrano, Dempster, Wells, and Lilly when healthy. Marshall should be the best option at #5 but Silva, Samardzija, Parisi, and Gorzelany appear to be in the battle that will also provide a #4 starter until Lilly is ready.

Relievers - Marmol at closer with Grabow and Guzman looking right now as the best options at set up. The Cubs appear to still be looking at relievers for that role though. Berg, Caridad, Gaub, Mateo, Parker, and Stevens along with the losers in the #5 starter battle seem to have a chance of sticking in the pen with good springs.

Buster Olney mentioned on "Baseball Tonight" that of the Cubs first 38 games only six are against teams who had a winning record in 2009.

And they don't visit St. Louis until early August.

I'll be at Wrigley on June 18-19th vs the Angels...can't wait! Nothing better than a day game, followed by Cubbie Bears, followed by wherever the rest of the night leads....

Anyone up for a wager on most wins this season, Cincy or Cubs?
what kind of bet?
Well, even though Pinny has the Cubs at 3 wins better than the Reds, I like my boy's chances this season and the next handful.So w/ that said, it could be something small (sig bet), up to $100 and I'm willing to take it on your word.
Make it a sig bet, and I'm inWe have a coupe months to hash out the details.

what kind of bet?
Well, even though Pinny has the Cubs at 3 wins better than the Reds, I like my boy's chances this season and the next handful.So w/ that said, it could be something small (sig bet), up to $100 and I'm willing to take it on your word.
Make it a sig bet, and I'm inWe have a coupe months to hash out the details.
:thumbup:

Finally watching some Cubs action today. Guzman sadly is out for at least half the year if not the whole season. Cashner struggled to find the plate and was hit hard a few times in two innings. He did use his slider/curveball to make some AA-AAAA hitters look foolish. Soto looks amazing. Silva is garbage. Marmol recovered from 2 bad misses early to have a clean inning using his 83 MPH slider and 95 MPH fastball with location. Colvin is about 25 lbs muscle heavier and apparently is looking good early but not much from him today.

Losing Guzman is very, very bad news. This bullpen is not looking very good.

Soto and my least favorite player in baseball (soriano), need to have HUGE years.

Marmol will be fine, but getting to him is going to be a huge problem. The starters need to have real good years and eat up a lot of innings.

Losing Guzman is very, very bad news. This bullpen is not looking very good. Soto and my least favorite player in baseball (soriano), need to have HUGE years. Marmol will be fine, but getting to him is going to be a huge problem. The starters need to have real good years and eat up a lot of innings.
I'm a big Guzman fan, and that loss hurts. I still think Marmol should be pitching the 8th. We'll see how it shakes out; bullpens can find a groove during the season. But I fear the end game is going to be ugly early on.

I'll be at Wrigley on June 18-19th vs the Angels...can't wait! Nothing better than a day game, followed by Cubbie Bears, followed by wherever the rest of the night leads....
Memorial Day weekend against the Cards. I'm pretty stoked. :shrug:

If we take the Cubs, what do we have to give you, 12-14 wins? We'll put up a Malnati's pizza. What do we get in return? 2 cans of Skyline?

Anyone see how Castro looks in the field??
Covers much better ground than Theriot and has a strong arm (though not a 90 arm like Dunston). He was a bit wild with his throws in today's game. It looks like he can make the deep play in the hole with some consistency.

Wrigley said:
Is it September already?
lol
Get back over to your sux threadunless you have some free golf passes for say, the Bolingbrook GC
how about I save you 75% off at about 35 or so courses around Chicago?p.s. I just drafted M. Byrd.
I'm really hoping Byrd comes through for you and the Cubs this year...........They will really need it.I'd be interested in saving on golf............and I'd like to try out some new coursesshot a 39 on the front at Tamarack(Naperville) yesterday. Not a bad first 9 for the year.PM the details on the golf :veryinterested:

82 1/2 wins is very hittable for them, IMO. This organization clearly does not handle high expectations well (not that there were any until recent years). But the expectations are gone now, and the pressure that goes with that. So many players combined to have subpar seasons at once last year. Are they just over the hill and lost it simultaneously? Maybe but I doubt it. Supposedly Soriano played hurt all last year. I realize he will always make dumb mistakes but his power numbers should come back. Soto lost weight after being out of shape last year. Bradley was a huge disappointment at the plate and a clubhouse cancer so getting rid of him is a big plus. There are some weaknesses: the bullpen becomes a bigger ? following Guzman's injury; there is no "true" lead off man, 2nd base is patchwork, and a .260 BA with 10-12 HRs is poor production for a right fielder making $12 million a season. Ramirez and Lee, as solid a corner infield combo as anywhere, are getting older. But taking all that into account, over 82 1/2 looks to easy, IMO. Pittsburgh is still in their division, Houston is on the downside, Milwaukee has a great lineup but a weak rotation. Cincinnati is the so-called "wise guy" pick but a lot of that seems to be based on the Cuban signee. I'll take a wait and see approach on them.

82 1/2 wins is very hittable for them, IMO. This organization clearly does not handle high expectations well (not that there were any until recent years). But the expectations are gone now, and the pressure that goes with that. So many players combined to have subpar seasons at once last year. Are they just over the hill and lost it simultaneously? Maybe but I doubt it. Supposedly Soriano played hurt all last year. I realize he will always make dumb mistakes but his power numbers should come back. Soto lost weight after being out of shape last year. Bradley was a huge disappointment at the plate and a clubhouse cancer so getting rid of him is a big plus. There are some weaknesses: the bullpen becomes a bigger ? following Guzman's injury; there is no "true" lead off man, 2nd base is patchwork, and a .260 BA with 10-12 HRs is poor production for a right fielder making $12 million a season. Ramirez and Lee, as solid a corner infield combo as anywhere, are getting older. But taking all that into account, over 82 1/2 looks to easy, IMO. Pittsburgh is still in their division, Houston is on the downside, Milwaukee has a great lineup but a weak rotation. Cincinnati is the so-called "wise guy" pick but a lot of that seems to be based on the Cuban signee. I'll take a wait and see approach on them.
Actually, it has to do w/ them being a very young, but fantastic defensive team. They were 2nd in the NL in defense last season and that's with Tavares for a large part in CF and Encarnacion @ 3B. The rotation is going to be very good and the BP and defense are both back (with improvements) from last year. If Bruce, Votto, Stubbs, and Dickerson hit, the Reds are going to be very dangerous.

Actually, it has to do w/ them being a very young, but fantastic defensive team. They were 2nd in the NL in defense last season and that's with Tavares for a large part in CF and Encarnacion @ 3B. The rotation is going to be very good and the BP and defense are both back (with improvements) from last year. If Bruce, Votto, Stubbs, and Dickerson hit, the Reds are going to be very dangerous.
Don't forget Gomes.....this guy can be had at the end of most fantasy drafts.....he can rake

Very good is way too strong for the Reds rotation.

ZiPs projections for Reds and Cubs #1-#4 starters

Average ERA and WHIP - Reds 4.31 1.34 Cubs 3.83 1.29

Arroyo 4.20 ERA 1.33 WHIP

Harang 3.96 1.27

Cueto 4.08 1.29

Bailey 4.98 1.47

Zambrano 3.67 1.33

Dempster 3.70 1.29

Lilly 3.70 1.18

Wells 4.26 1.36

I think the Cubs will have a good rotation once Lilly is back in late April. The Reds are at least a notch below at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread