What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago LBs (1 Viewer)

Miro Z

Footballguy
With Urlacher's departure there are opportunities for someone to emerge. Is it going to be DJ Williams, James Anderson or someone else?

From the bigger picture, when you look at the retirements of both Ray Lewis and B. Urlacher and then their likely replacements (a mix of veterans and some rookies --arthur brown & john bostic) the chances are that the position for fantasy scoring won't come close to the predecessors. Fact is, pro bowl players from rounds 1/2 of the rookie draft might be 1 in 20.

So I certainly think that both the Ravens and Bears will rotate a number of people through the middle this year and while sure Bostic and Arthur Brown are the likely future replacements, it won't be worth all that much in year one as they are learning and acclimating. The chance that either are pro bowlers in the next three years seems about 20%; and that both would be is 5%.

More rookie's make the pro bowl than you think.

Bostic, if on the field will be a two down LB more than likely. My guess is DJ holds it down for one year with Briggs and Anderson having three down roles.

ffchamp1 said:
More rookie's make the pro bowl than you think.

Bostic, if on the field will be a two down LB more than likely. My guess is DJ holds it down for one year with Briggs and Anderson having three down roles.
my thinking as well, DJ will start the season and unless hes on fire Bostic will be rotated inthough out the season

I dont think you will see bostic get anywhere near 140+ tackles even if he starts the season as a 3 down LB. However I could see Ellerbe getting close because he will see the field alot and last year Dansby finished right behind wagner.

I would be very shocked if Bostic started week 1. My money is on DJ Williams being be back by then. I wouldn't waste a pick on Bostic. Bostic won't see the field if Williams is healthy. Prior to the injury, the Bears were extremely excited about how DJ Williams was playing. They viewed Williams as a significant upgrade to Urlacher. Bostic is a rookie.

I would be very shocked if Bostic started week 1. My money is on DJ Williams being be back by then. I wouldn't waste a pick on Bostic. Bostic won't see the field if Williams is healthy. Prior to the injury, the Bears were extremely excited about how DJ Williams was playing. They viewed Williams as a significant upgrade to Urlacher. Bostic is a rookie.

This is confusing. Why on Earth would the coaches say it was a wide open competition if they were that high on Williams? Why only sign him to one year if he was that much better than Urlacher? It just doesn't add up. In two more weeks, DJ Williwms may be out of a job if he doesn't pick himself up off the trainers table. Period.

Nearly half the Bear players are only under contract for this season. It's the strategy the GM wants to take this year. So I wouldn't read into that.

I was at the game last night (preseason game 2). Yes, Bostic had a highlight reel tackle and forced fumble. But he looks lost at times, especially in pass coverage. That being said, I agree with the comment that DJ Williams needs to get on the field for preseason game 3 or 4. Otherwise he may loose his job. I'd still stay away from this situation from an IDP perspective if you are in a redraft league.

I would say the opposite. Now is the time to take a flier on Bostic while there is even an ounce of uncertainty. Once he is annointed the starter (which I believe is now inevitable) it will be too late. Jump on him now!

I'm finding it hard to get a read on Bostic. In his latest article, Jene said that Bostic isn't going to play every down this year. If he wins the starting job over Williams, and the Bears see him as their MLB of the future, isn't there a good chance that he does get a full time role this year?

More broadly, I'm having a tough time figuring out who has the highest ceiling both for redraft and the next 2-3 years out of Bostic, Alonso and Moore.

My money is on DJ Williams being an outright cut by Sept. 5th. He lacks leadersrhip, he is old. Most importantly, they certainly don't need him with Bostic emerging.

Are there any updates on how Bostic played last night against the Raiders? And any solid reports indicating whether Bostic has moved passed DJ on the depth chart?

Well his stat line looked real good. I'm debating between him or Daryl Smith. Both are on waivers which have not started for my league and they went undrafted. I dont want to miss out on this guy and I would find it hard to believe that DJ would bump him once he comes back??

Last edited by a moderator:
Well his stat line looked real good. I'm debating between him or Daryl Smith. Both are on waivers which have not started for my league and they went undrafted. I dont want to miss out on this guy and I would find it hard to believe that DJ would bump him once he comes back??
in redraft smith is easy choice...

in dynasty, smith could be top 10-20 LB for next few years (31 this year?)... he was always a better actual football player than IDP weapon except for a season or two, but toiled in obscurity for some bad jaguars teams in recent years... as an ILB with great DL in front of him, this is likely the best positioned he has ever been for IDP production (and soon recognition)...

but in dynasty if outlook is 3+ years, bostic would seem to be no brainer...

he had some good big play stats at florida, speaking to his athleticism (i've heard some scouts say specifically better athlete than football player, but he has looked like he belonged in limited action for bears so far)... one think i noticed is he is a very explosive tackler (see recent ridiculous hit for which he was just fined, though consensus was it wasn't a dirty play)... some people fly in but don't deliver a big hit... possibly because he has a compact form, he can strike the ball carrier in control, waiting until the last moment to uncoil enabling "accuracy", delivering maximal force (a bruce lee short punch was reportedly devastating - he didn't need to wind up like a cartoon boxer) more efficiently with better leverage (squared up, feet set, knees bent, etc.), positioning, timing?

in dynasty, smith could be top 10-20 LB for next few years (31 this year?)... he was always a better actual football player than IDP weapon except for a season or two, but toiled in obscurity for some bad jaguars teams in recent years... as an ILB with great DL in front of him, this is likely the best positioned he has ever been for IDP production (and soon recognition)...
I see this as potentially one of Smith's best fantasy years as well. He was primarily the Sam throughout his career in Jax but when he did get opportunities to play the other spots his numbers were good.

I see this as potentially one of Smith's best fantasy years as well. He was primarily the Sam throughout his career in Jax but when he did get opportunities to play the other spots his numbers were good.
Good to see spirited discussion on Raven's LB in Bears LB thread :P

Signs are pointing towards DJ Williams being the Bears week 1 starter at MLB over Bostic.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4685415/briggs-says-d-j-williams-will-start-at-mlb
Yes. Sez here Bostic actually competing with Williams at MLB spot..

Bears | Teammate says D.J. Williams to start Thu Sep 5, 03:55 PM

Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs said LB D.J. Williams (calf) will start at middle linebacker Week 1. Head coach Marc Trestman said the team has not decided if Williams or LB Jonathan Bostic will start at middle linebacker.

Users who are viewing this thread