What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chicago Public Schools & Rahm Emmanuel have gone insane (1 Viewer)

So I think this got blown out of proportion by sloppy journalism. Here is a better article

Kids need one of the following:

• College acceptance letter

• Military acceptance/enlistment letter

• Acceptance at a job training program, like a coding bootcamp

• Acceptance into a trades apprenticeship or pre-apprenticeship program

• Acceptance into a "gap-year" program

• Current job or job offer letter.

As mentioned before, Chicago colleges are automatically admitted to Chicago city colleges so that is really easy for the kids to use. The article also raises the very important issue of school counselors. CPS has had the budget cut and many schools lack the counseling staff needed to provide quality guidance for kids to develop a post secondary plan. 

Oh Jesus Christ.  This is the kind of excuse every lefty with a cause-of-the-week likes to use to make life miserable for everyone.  #### that - it's nothing but bs to force control from you to them.
Tone down on the hysteria and fake outrage, Max.

So I think this got blown out of proportion by sloppy journalism. Here is a better article

As mentioned before, Chicago colleges are automatically admitted to Chicago city colleges so that is really easy for the kids to use. The article also raises the very important issue of school counselors. CPS has had the budget cut and many schools lack the counseling staff needed to provide quality guidance for kids to develop a post secondary plan. 
This is actually what I initially thought from a policy this bad. It sounded like budget politicking, through and through. There's just no way this flies.  

Yes, that's what he is doing. He's trying to solve a societal problem by using the totality of the state. 

Forced until sixteen, no benefits unless satisfying the ever-reaching requirements of of it. It's total. My professors and friends admit measures like these are totalitarian in every sense of the word; not sure why you'd laugh. 
No benefit from school? Even if someone doesn't graduate, they have likely gotten many benefits from school. Where does social contract end and totalitarianism begin?

This is actually what I initially thought from a policy this bad. It sounded like budget politicking, through and through. There's just no way this flies.  
I think we can all agree that counseling, especially for kids form poor less educated districts, is important. 

No benefit from school? Even if someone doesn't graduate, they have likely gotten many benefits from school. Where does social contract end and totalitarianism begin?
No societal tangible benefit for work screening and labor -- I should qualify. 

If I could explain the social contract, autonomy, and totalitarianism, I'd be in the anarchism thread. It's a PhD thesis or eight away from being nigh impossible.  

What we do have is an innate sense of the 14th Amendment and Substantive Due Process according to natural law. And that probably covers that if an eighteen year-old has been compelled to go to school for sixteen years, he or she ought see the fruits of their schooling be rewarded without an extra onerous step such as this one. 

If I were a judge, I'd simply rule it right, just, and be on your way, camper.  

No societal tangible benefit for work screening and labor -- I should qualify. 

If I could explain the social contract, autonomy, and totalitarianism, I'd be in the anarchism thread. It's a PhD thesis or eight away from being nigh impossible.  

What we do have is an innate sense of the 14th Amendment and Substantive Due Process according to natural law. And that probably covers that if an eighteen year-old has been compelled to go to school for sixteen years, he or she ought see the fruits of their schooling be rewarded without an extra onerous step such as this one. 

If I were a judge, I'd simply rule it right, just, and be on your way, camper.  
That will be the key right there for a judge to decide. Is it onerous. 

I think we can all agree that counseling, especially for kids form poor less educated districts, is important. 
Yes. That's what this sounded like. An attempt to streamline otherwise personalized attention due to budgetary constraints. 

Still, these kids are mostly seventeen or eighteen. You don't want them lost in the system, but you can't deny them the very thing that assures it.  

Like I said before, the mayor is trying to actually do something positive. he's going at it the wrong way, i think, but he's giving CPS students - overwhelming minority, poor - every reason to stick it until graduation. he's giving them every reason to go beyond that point too. it's a bit of a play from the "tough love" playbook found in community organizations and churches but then, like i said, he's pandering. he needs to get more kids off the corners and into something that can offer a future. it's a way to drive enrollment to the city colleges too. 

Yes. That's what this sounded like. An attempt to streamline otherwise personalized attention due to budgetary constraints. 

Still, these kids are mostly seventeen or eighteen. You don't want them lost in the system, but you can't deny them the very thing that assures it.  
This really will be a "burden" for the schools. The schools are under pressure to graduate kids so they are going to have to make sure they get every kid on board. I have a hard time seeing any kid not graduating because of this. The kids are automatically accepted into Chicago colleges so the schools can always just check that box. 

Parents need to start parenting...until that happens nothing else matters...
Good parenting certainly helps, but there are lots of kids putting in the work and bettering themselves with limited to negative help from their parents. 

Good parenting certainly helps, but there are lots of kids putting in the work and bettering themselves with limited to negative help from their parents. 
It more than helps...it provides the foundation for what you become later on in life...there are too many d-bags neglecting their responsibilities as a parent...these people are scum and should be treated as such... 

• College acceptance letter

• Military acceptance/enlistment letter

• Acceptance at a job training program, like a coding bootcamp

• Acceptance into a trades apprenticeship or pre-apprenticeship program

• Acceptance into a "gap-year" program

• Current job or job offer letter.

I knew the bolded had to be included, despite claims to the contrary that kids with jobs wouldn't qualify.

It more than helps...it provides the foundation for what you become later on in life...there are too many d-bags neglecting their responsibilities as a parent...these people are scum and should be treated as such... 
Yes, super important. I'm just disagreeing with your statement that "nothing else matters". 

1 hour ago, Uwe Blab said:

Probably about as easy as it is for an adult to get an ID card for voting
Got em
A specious argument.

An adult would have to take time off from work (which their employer might not grant) and lose hours of work waiting in line at the DMV to get an ID card (and those hours may not be paid for by their employer). However it is not nearly as burdensome for a 17/18 year old to simply send out a letter of application to the local JC or CC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, super important. I'm just disagreeing with your statement that "nothing else matters". 
I was generalizing...should have said most important...sure kids can overcome it but they are starting in the hole and it just isn't fair to them...

Money driven?....Illinois is broke... Do they somehow get extra funds?
Yes and no. This is also a way for more money to flow into those programs and schools. There are economies of scale that work in their favor. CPS is doing everything that it can to get money into the system. IB accreditation, for example, is just hooey but maybe they get more money for it. Same with districts that offer free lunch system-wide (like CPS). While it serves a valuable service, it also gets more money into the system and certain efficiencies can come into play that districts can (mis)use.

A specious argument.

An adult would have to take time off from work (which their employer might not grant) and lose hours of work waiting in line at the DMV to get an ID card (and those hours may not be paid for by their employer). However it is not nearly as burdensome for a 17/18 year old to simply send out a letter of application to the local JC or CC.
:lmao:

The lobbyist for the Illinois Association of Community Colleges just deposited one hell of a bonus check. 

A specious argument.

According to you noone can EVER get to the DMV, yet everytime anyone ever goes there its packed

Money driven?....Illinois is broke... Do they somehow get extra funds?
I would think they are just genuinely trying improve the future of the city. Last year they set-up a scholarship fund so any student with a 3.0 and proficient in math and English can attend Chicago Colleges for free. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever dreamed this up should be set on fire. On that note, some kid should put 'arsonist' on the form and do just that.
It's a terrible idea. Emmanuel did say where he got it.

Chicago would be the first city to implement such a requirement, although Emanuel said it’s an idea he borrowed from charter schools.

Democrats, fighting the good fight to help poor minorities by making a diploma more likely attained. 

Wait, wat? 

Users who are viewing this thread