What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chimedrum Ndukwe (1 Viewer)

buck56

Footballguy
I see the current FBG projections have him in the top 10 for safeties, was wondering if anybody out there had any thoughts on this. The depth charts have him starting at strong safety. Haven't heard much on this guy, any thoughts or info would be appriciated.

Bengals | Ndukwe working with first-team defense

(KFFL) Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals FS Nedu Ndukwe was making the most of his chance to work with the first-team defense and his physical play stood out.

Ndukwe running as starting SS

(Rotoworld) Chinedum Ndukwe ran as the Bengals' first-team strong safety at OTAs.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been pimping him in our subscriber content and podcasts since the middle of last season. Has good size and speed and showed very good instincts as a nickel back before putting up 11 solos, a FF, a FR, 2 INT and 3 passes defended as a starter during the last two games of 2007. Looked to have the early line on a starting role this offseason and that's being confirmed in OTAs. The Bengals are a team that uses both safeties interchangeably to support the run (in the box and on blitzes) and pass rush frequently, which will give Ndukwe plenty of opportunity regardless of which starting slot he lands.

Ndukwe should have an excellent chance to reprise Madieu Williams' production in recent seasons -- 65-70 solos, a couple of sacks and 2-3 INTs with near double digit passes defended. It wouldn't be a shock to see him reach Norton's tackle projections with Dhani Jones at MLB.

Just picked him up for the minimum in Z30. Was kind of surprised that no one else bid on him. I swear that the harder it is to match a player's spelled name with the spoken name, the easier it is to grab them cheap.

He's a playmaker... always around the ball, hits hard, and always looking to pop it out. :thumbup:

tackles 75/20

sacks 3

FF 5

INT 3

TD 1

I got him for the minimum bid in z11 as well. This guy is really flying under the radar right now.

Justin Smith, Landon Johnson, Madieu Williams and Odell Thurman are all gone. Doesnt seem like rocket science to project nice production from Ndukwe.

For anyone interested, here's a pretty cool vid on Ndukwe.

I'm anxious to see him play in a more defined role this season, but also haven't forgotten about Marvin White, who I think has some interesting upside. I'm not thrilled with Dexter Jackson at all.

Bengals | Ndukwe likely to start

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:41:36 -0700

Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals FS Nedu Ndukwe is likely to be the team's starting free safety in 2008.

For some reason I thought Ndukwe was the SS.

Bengals | Ndukwe likely to startWed, 11 Jun 2008 11:41:36 -0700Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals FS Nedu Ndukwe is likely to be the team's starting free safety in 2008. For some reason I thought Ndukwe was the SS.
In this case, unless Mike Zimmer changes up the playbook from prior seasons, it doesn't matter much. Nominally, since Dexter Jackson is probably still considered a starter, it's the FS position that's open for Ndukwe. In reality, both positions are tasked with coverage and run blitz/support responsibilities. If Jackson starts, Ndukwe is clearly the player to own (as Madieu Williams was alongside the guys that the Bengals have used at SS in recent seasons). If Marvin White works his way into the mix, it's not as clear, though Ndukwe outpointed White when both got bunches of playing time toward the end of 2007.For now, it's hard to overlook the physical effort and playmaking talent that Ndukwe showed last year, especially since it translated well to the boxscores.

Jene Bramel said:
duece2626 said:
Bengals | Ndukwe likely to startWed, 11 Jun 2008 11:41:36 -0700Mark Curnutte, of The Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals FS Nedu Ndukwe is likely to be the team's starting free safety in 2008. For some reason I thought Ndukwe was the SS.
In this case, unless Mike Zimmer changes up the playbook from prior seasons, it doesn't matter much. Nominally, since Dexter Jackson is probably still considered a starter, it's the FS position that's open for Ndukwe. In reality, both positions are tasked with coverage and run blitz/support responsibilities. If Jackson starts, Ndukwe is clearly the player to own (as Madieu Williams was alongside the guys that the Bengals have used at SS in recent seasons). If Marvin White works his way into the mix, it's not as clear, though Ndukwe outpointed White when both got bunches of playing time toward the end of 2007.For now, it's hard to overlook the physical effort and playmaking talent that Ndukwe showed last year, especially since it translated well to the boxscores.
Yep. Ndukwe seemed to have a knack for the big plays. Last year I expected White to be more suited for the FS role and thought he had better coverage skills, but Ndukwe was more opportunistic. I'm still hoping that White can find his way into the lineup.

Dayton Daily News reporter suggests Marvin White and Dexter Jackson as starters

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Staff Writer

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Cincinnati Bengals safety Marvin White was a little-known player coming out of TCU when the team selected him in the third round of the 2007 draft. With one year under his belt, NFL teams will quickly learn what the hard-hitting safety is all about this season.

White made a name for himself as a rookie playing in a limited role on defense and started three games. Now the second-year man is looking to become the enforcer in the team's secondary as the likely starter opposite veteran safety Dexter Jackson.

"I have to be patient and just wait for my opportunity and take advantage of it," White said. "I was kind of down because I didn't get to play at the beginning of the season, but when I finally got my chance I showed them what I can do. Hopefully, I can carry that over to this season and gain a little more confidence from the coaches so they'll give me a shot to be out there and show them what I can do."

White brings a physical presence and leadership. He's relentless and willing to sacrifice his body to make a play. White has developed a reputation for laying bone-crushing licks on opponents. His biggest hit can be seen on YouTube as the Great White Hit. Bottom line: White is a player who will bring his A-game every day.

Expectations are high and things should be much different for the young safety this year than they were last season when he was still trying to grasp what was going on around him.

"Last year, I didn't know what to expect," White said. "Things were going so fast and so quick. Being out there, trying to make plays and all excited, kind of burned a lot of energy out of me. Now I'm a lot more comfortable and know what's going on. It's a big difference."

White and the team's defense had a good showing during OTAs and minicamp. The safety told me the defense is making a smooth transition to the new coaching philosophy.

"Everything is going pretty good learning a new defense," he said. "It's a lot of carryover from last year, but it's just different terminology. I think we have been picking up the scheme so far and that's what coach wants. Everything has been running smooth thus far. It's great."

White said the new coaching staff is more demanding about technique and wants the players on defense to be more vocal and communicate better on the field. "They are expecting a lot more out of us this year," he said.

White and Jackson would make for a nice safety tandem.

Carlos "Big C" Holmes covers the NFL for the Dayton Daily News.

Dexter Jackson is listed as the SS starter right now, but White and Ndukwe should take over both starting positions before long. Coupled with Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall, should be a strong, young secondary that Cincy has been needing for a long time.

Bengals SS Dexter Jackson (thumb) has been ruled out for Week 5. Ndukwe remains the starter...

so what is the word on his long term (rest of the season) hold on the starting job?

i am in a league where Free Agent pickups are extremely limited - i have five left for the whole season.

trying to decide who makes the better pickup between he and white.

the consistency of making tackles is usually pretty important in our league

tackle 3 pts, asst 1, Pass Def 3, Int 5, + other

thanks for any thoughts.

so what is the word on his long term (rest of the season) hold on the starting job?i am in a league where Free Agent pickups are extremely limited - i have five left for the whole season.trying to decide who makes the better pickup between he and white. the consistency of making tackles is usually pretty important in our leaguetackle 3 pts, asst 1, Pass Def 3, Int 5, + otherthanks for any thoughts.
I personally think White may be a bit more consistent in the tackle department, though perhaps only slightly. I expect Ndukwe to get more big play opportunities though, being sent to pass rush at times, and perhaps play up in the box. With the state of the Bengals right now, both have value.

so what is the word on his long term (rest of the season) hold on the starting job?i am in a league where Free Agent pickups are extremely limited - i have five left for the whole season.trying to decide who makes the better pickup between he and white. the consistency of making tackles is usually pretty important in our leaguetackle 3 pts, asst 1, Pass Def 3, Int 5, + otherthanks for any thoughts.
I personally think White may be a bit more consistent in the tackle department, though perhaps only slightly. I expect Ndukwe to get more big play opportunities though, being sent to pass rush at times, and perhaps play up in the box. With the state of the Bengals right now, both have value.
thanks rushmore.what do you think of ndukwe's job security?

Completely agree. In a normal situation, with decent LBs and a defense that can get off the field reasonably often, Ndukwe > White as, say, Harper > Kaesviharn. If Rivers begins to get it and the Bengals can start slashing their own tackle opportunity numbers, Ndukwe is the man to own. For now, both have solid value and will for the foreseeable future.Job security? Lewis likes vets and the team named Dexter Jackson a captain. He's likely to play on some base defensive downs, but Ndukwe should still see plenty of snaps. I'd risk Ndukwe's upside myself, but White's good enough that he may be the better play in your league.

Completely agree. In a normal situation, with decent LBs and a defense that can get off the field reasonably often, Ndukwe > White as, say, Harper > Kaesviharn. If Rivers begins to get it and the Bengals can start slashing their own tackle opportunity numbers, Ndukwe is the man to own. For now, both have solid value and will for the foreseeable future.Job security? Lewis likes vets and the team named Dexter Jackson a captain. He's likely to play on some base defensive downs, but Ndukwe should still see plenty of snaps. I'd risk Ndukwe's upside myself, but White's good enough that he may be the better play in your league.
thanks too jene. that is exactly the kind of info i needed.

Lewis likes vets and the team named Dexter Jackson a captain. He's likely to play on some base defensive downs, but Ndukwe should still see plenty of snaps. I'd risk Ndukwe's upside myself, but White's good enough that he may be the better play in your league
Interesting Jene, when Jackson returns to the line-up what do you see Ndukwe's role as? Play SS in passing situations only or would he play some snaps at FS ahead of White?Watching Ndukwe against the Giants week 3 he seemed to be around the ball a lot and just missed on some big plays. I didn't see him play last week but his sack and INT would seem to indicate that the coaches are trusting him a bit more to make plays.

Lewis likes vets and the team named Dexter Jackson a captain. He's likely to play on some base defensive downs, but Ndukwe should still see plenty of snaps. I'd risk Ndukwe's upside myself, but White's good enough that he may be the better play in your league
Interesting Jene, when Jackson returns to the line-up what do you see Ndukwe's role as? Play SS in passing situations only or would he play some snaps at FS ahead of White?Watching Ndukwe against the Giants week 3 he seemed to be around the ball a lot and just missed on some big plays. I didn't see him play last week but his sack and INT would seem to indicate that the coaches are trusting him a bit more to make plays.
At minimum, he's going to play on every nickel down and borderline passing situation. Captain or not, assuming Ndukwe doesn't blow any more high profile plays in the next week or two, it'll be very difficult for Jackson to get true starting snaps again.Ndukwe is playing a very similar role to what LeRoy Butler used to play in Green Bay -- plenty of run blitzes, some pass rush, in-the-box when behind in the second half, a good mix of zone coverages -- he's got a chance to be one of those rare Gibril Wilson types. 75 solos and a host of peripheral stats. We'll see how soon he'll have a chance to pull it off.

He was very active and all over the place last week. I knew he had more tackles than he got credit for, and John Norton said he had at least 6 solos in the first half and at least 9 in the game. I believe it. He looked fantastic.

He was very active and all over the place last week. I knew he had more tackles than he got credit for, and John Norton said he had at least 6 solos in the first half and at least 9 in the game. I believe it. He looked fantastic.
I read Norton's comments too. Is that normal for Cincinnati? Who keeps the stats at their home games? Would it make Ndukwe a better play when on the road? Jene?

Nothing to add here except after watching the CLE/CIN game, I have to say Ndukwe really stood out. His closing speed + killer instinct combo is incredible. My only worry would be that with his range, they may strand him in deep coverage a lot, but while the team is playing a lot of defense, it won't matter. I certainly made sure to add him in every league I could.

I read Norton's comments too. Is that normal for Cincinnati? Who keeps the stats at their home games? Would it make Ndukwe a better play when on the road? Jene?
Missing that many tackles? Not that I've noticed before. The only trend I've noted (along with Aaron) is that the stat crew tends to give out plenty of assisted tackles. I don't think it's worth worrying over too much.
Nothing to add here except after watching the CLE/CIN game, I have to say Ndukwe really stood out. His closing speed + killer instinct combo is incredible. My only worry would be that with his range, they may strand him in deep coverage a lot, but while the team is playing a lot of defense, it won't matter. I certainly made sure to add him in every league I could.
With the injury issues in the secondary, the Bengals were definitely playing a little more Cover-2 last week against the Browns. The Cowboys are a similar offensive team, so that could continue this week. Purely speculating, I don't think that hurts a safety too much when a team has a TE that can stretch the seam and corner.Since this is theoretically Zimmer's defense, now, I'd expect plenty more man coverage and in-the-box safety play when Joseph gets healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread