What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Perry (1 Viewer)

jamil

Footballguy
Are we starting to see the Chris Perry takeover in Cinci? He has been starting to get more and more work as the season progresses and finally scored his 1st TD this week. What's his outlook from here on out?

I think he stays about where he is right now through the whole season.Perry shoulda had like 3 TDs IIRC but because of penalties, they were called back.

rudi is still the primary ball carrier. perry's weeks will be up and down depending on the game situation, 3rd down opportunities, and if he finds the endzone. he has become a decent option in ppr leagues as a bye week filler, ect. but good luck guessing which weeks he'll be worthy of a normal start. id love to seem him continue the way he looked last week, but rudi has been plenty effective and shows no reason to give up any of his carries.

I agree that Rudi should remain the guy, but one injury or a couple of costly Rudi mistakes (e.g., fumbles), and it could open the door for Perry.While most of us FBGs were bashing Perry last year, Lewis has gone on record a few occasions about how much confidence he has in Perry.Now we're beginning to see why.

It’s very possible--if not probable that Perry will outscore Rudi the rest of the way in ppr leagues.You play to win the game and in that offense I believe Perry gives the Bengal’s a better chance to win.That’s my opinion of the situation

The Bengals have very consistent in giving Rudi ~20 carries, Perry ~5 carries, and another ~5 receptions every week.They're at 5-1 and in first place.Why would anyone anticipate any change in either guy's role going forward?

It’s very possible--if not probable that Perry will outscore Rudi the rest of the way in ppr leagues.

You play to win the game and in that offense I believe Perry gives the Bengal’s a better chance to win.

That’s my opinion of the situation
:goodposting: Perry is a playmaker the Bengles cannot afford to have on the bench. Period. I don't see him completely taking over unless Rudi gets a serious injury.

The Bengals have very consistent in giving Rudi ~20 carries, Perry ~5 carries, and another ~5 receptions every week.

They're at 5-1 and in first place.

Why would anyone anticipate any change in either guy's role going forward?
Very :goodposting:

The Bengals have very consistent in giving Rudi ~20 carries, Perry ~5 carries, and another ~5 receptions every week.

:goodposting:

rudi is still the primary ball carrier. perry's weeks will be up and down depending on the game situation, 3rd down opportunities, and if he finds the endzone. he has become a decent option in ppr leagues as a bye week filler, ect. but good luck guessing which weeks he'll be worthy of a normal start. id love to seem him continue the way he looked last week, but rudi has been plenty effective and shows no reason to give up any of his carries.
I agree. I started Perry as my RB3 last week in a non-PPR league only because I thought the matchup was really in his favor. That's the only way I could see starting him in a non-PPR league at this time given how Rudi is dominating the carries in the running game. I like the trend we're seeing with Perry in terms of his involvement but I think it's way too risky to count on a guy getting 4-5 carries a game in a non-PPR league. He's not going to catch 9 passes every week so unless he gets a TD (which may not happen very often with Rudi the better goal-line option) I think you're taking a risk starting Perry in most leagues unless it's a sweet matchup. And I also agree with the poster who said the Bengals obviously have a good thing going so why change. All of the folks clamoring for Perry to do more are ignoring the fact that Rudi is having a very good season as well.

Rudi owner?

It’s very possible--if not probable that Perry will outscore Rudi the rest of the way in ppr leagues.

You play to win the game and in that offense I believe Perry gives the Bengal’s a better chance to win.

:no: not a chance perry outscores rudi unless because of an injury.perry caught 9 balls last week, do you really think that will continue? 100+ on the year? :confused:

By Christian PetersonAssociate EditorOctober 17, 2005 4:00 PM ETHaving too many good running backs is never a problem. Just ask the Kansas City Chiefs. Or the Denver Broncos. Or, as is rapidly becoming the case, the Cincinnati Bengals.Shortly after trading Corey Dillon to the Patriots and anointing erstwhile backup Rudi Johnson the starter, the Bengals showed their (lack of) confidence in Rudi by drafting his predecessor, Chris Perry, with the 26th overall pick in the 2004 draft. At the time, the Bengals were undoubtedly worried about Johnson as their starter, especially since he was an unsigned free agent.After a breakout 2004 season, a season in which the rookie Perry played in a grand total of two games as he fought through an abdominal injury, the Bengals inked Johnson to a five-year, $26 million contract, thereby destroying any fantasy value Perry might have had. Right?Uh, not so fast.Perry not only scored his first career touchdown on Sunday, he was all over the field. Third down, first down, red zone, two-minute drill – you name it, Perry was involved. While Rudi still ran for over 80 yards for the fifth time in six games this season, it's become abundantly clear Perry has the type of game-breaking ability that will force the Bengals to get him touches on a regular basis. That's enough to make him our Pickup of the Week.It's not quite the same as the Larry Johnson – Priest Holmes or Tatum Bell – Mike Anderson situations in that Perry has a clearly defined role as the third down back and the Bengals are still at the point where they're picking their spots with Chris, rather than awarding him regularly-scheduled handoffs in an obvious split with Rudi, but such a split might not be far off.There has been no indication by head coach Marvin Lewis what his intentions for Perry might be, but his actions are speaking quite vociferously. Perry started off with 19 carries in his first four games, primarily spelling Rudi only to keep him fresh. He chipped in 16 receptions in third down duty, not including an electrifying 86-yard catch-and-run in week two that was called back because of a penalty, but it wasn't until the last two weeks that Perry began to really make his presence known.The former Michigan Wolverine, who was drafted just behind Steven Jackson and just ahead of Kevin Jones, has run 13 times for 83 yards in the last two games – a brisk average of 6.4 yards per carry. Not only that, he's grabbed 11 receptions for 66 yards, including his first career NFL score. In week six, he also had a nifty 10-yard touchdown run called back because of a penalty and a 43-yard reception negated by another infraction.Furthermore, the first two times the Bengals got inside the red zone on Sunday, it was Perry who got the call, not Johnson. The first such instance ended with a one-yard touchdown catch from Carson Palmer. The second was the aforementioned nullified touchdown run, followed by two more Perry runs and one more catch on three other plays inside the 10-yard line.We're not necessarily implying that Perry has taken over as the goal line runner. In fact, Johnson scored on a one-yard plunge later in the game, but at 6-0, 224 Perry definitely has the size and power to fill that role, and Lewis obviously isn't afraid to use him in that capacity.Even ignoring those red zone near-misses, when you add in the negated 86-yard touchdown scamper against the Vikings in week two, Perry could easily have three touchdowns already. That would be enough to tie him for 10th in the NFL among running backs.There is, of course, no guarantee that Perry will continue getting looks inside the 10-yard line, nor is there a guarantee that he'll continue getting as many touches as he has the last two weeks. However, it appears obvious the Bengals realize what they have in Perry, and will do whatever it takes to get him on the field.As another caveat, the Bengals' schedule turns brutal over the second half of the season, but one could argue Perry will be even more valuable as a change-of-pace and pass-catching back against stingy run defenses like the Steelers (twice), Colts, and Ravens (twice).Given how much Cincy has invested in Rudi and the fact that Johnson has produced solid numbers of his own, there is little danger that Perry will simply usurp the starting role, but the second-year man is a worthwhile addition to any fantasy squad in need of an emergency fill-in in case of injury or bye week issues.Even if you don't have a need for a player who may or may not produce fantasy points on a regular basis, you could do far worse than popping the question to a player who you could form a long-lasting, fulfilling relationship with, especially if you're in a keeper league.Who knows, you may even get hitched to the next Larry Johnson or Tatum Bell without even realizing it.

Rudi owner?
Actually, I've never had Rudi on any of my FFL teams - and I only have Perry on one of them.

lets make it a sig bet hurons. or are you scared to get stung in the #### by the Stinger!

:airhump:
Sig bet....give me a break. I dont do sig bets..I said probable if not possible. Did I say anything more?

Perry 32 149 4.7 0 REC 27 185 6.9 1

Rudi 128 544 4.3 2 REC 8 23 2.9 0

It will be close...

Last edited by a moderator:
lets make it a sig bet hurons.  or are you scared to get stung in the #### by the Stinger!

Sig bet....give me a break. I dont do sig bets..I said probable if not possible. Did I say anything more?
scared, i understand...gettin stung by the stinger can make you walk bull legged for a month.. ask jwvdcw.

and your exact words were not probable, if not possible, they were...

:own3d: icie pahts bichis!

lets make it a sig bet hurons. or are you scared to get stung in the #### by the Stinger!

scared, i understand...gettin stung by the stinger can make you walk bull legged for a month.. ask jwvdcw.

Stinger you need to relax....BTW in over the last 4 weeks in PPR leagues Perry is the 23rd best back and Rudi is the 25th.....and Perry had a 43yd rec and a 10 yard TD called back.

The ball dont lie

lets make it a sig bet hurons.  or are you scared to get stung in the #### by the Stinger!

bump1/10 rush/rec

6 td

1 ppr

I am in a league where these exact rules apply. Currently Rudi leads Perry 73-61 but the two are even if you throw out week one. From here on out I think it is a 50/50 prop that Perry will outscore Rudi in this type of format. I think Rudi might be in trouble five of the next six weeks when Cincy runs into run-stuffing Ds like Pittsburgh (twice), Baltimore (twice) and Indy. I also believe that Perry will be their feature RB when they are playing catch-up, which has rarely been the case in the first 6 games.

By Christian Peterson

Associate Editor

October 17, 2005 4:00 PM ET

Having too many good running backs is never a problem. Just ask the Kansas City Chiefs. Or the Denver Broncos. Or, as is rapidly becoming the case, the Cincinnati Bengals.

Shortly after trading Corey Dillon to the Patriots and anointing erstwhile backup Rudi Johnson the starter, the Bengals showed their (lack of) confidence in Rudi by drafting his predecessor, Chris Perry, with the 26th overall pick in the 2004 draft. At the time, the Bengals were undoubtedly worried about Johnson as their starter, especially since he was an unsigned free agent.
Is this a true AP article? I can't believe they'd let "predecessor" slip through when it should be "successor."

bump

1/10 rush/rec

6 td

1 ppr

I am in a league where these exact rules apply. Currently Rudi leads Perry 73-61 but the two are even if you throw out week one. From here on out I think it is a 50/50 prop that Perry will outscore Rudi in this type of format. I think Rudi might be in trouble five of the next six weeks when Cincy runs into run-stuffing Ds like Pittsburgh (twice), Baltimore (twice) and Indy. I also believe that Perry will be their feature RB when they are playing catch-up, which has rarely been the case in the first 6 games.

:goodposting:

I have Rudi and Perry in a PPR 12 Team Redraft.

Perry had 21 points on the bench while I started Rudi who scored 15.

I was thinking the same thing about the Bengals facing good run defenses. If Rudi gets stuffed I see them bringin' in Perry who is a threat to run/catch.

I watched a lot of the drives against TEN and was surprised to see Perry in the Red Zone on 1st down... :eek:

For them to sit Rudi after the big contract tells me we are going to see more and more of Perry.

I had Steven Jackson last year and waited all year for him to take over... :wall:

This is sad on so many levels. It's a "Stinger" cry for help :(

:no: not a chance perry outscores rudi unless because of an injury.perry caught 9 balls last week, do you really think that will continue? 100+ on the year? :confused:
Perry is slightly behind Rudi in my PPR league and has outscored him 3 of 6 weeks. He also had some big plays called back including an 86 yard TD reception and another 50 yarder. Not a stretch that he could outscore Rudi.And Perry is on pace to exceed 70 receptions.

Bengals.com reports Cincinnati RB Chris Perry has drawn the admiration of his teammates with his timely receiving and excellent speed. "I don't think we've really had anybody get to the corner like he can since I've been here with his speed," said center Rich Braham. "Oh man, he gets to that corner in a hurry." Perry leads all NFL running backs in receptions with 27.

Newbie stuff I guess.. Is this ebonics? If so I don't speak that language..

Another Perry article from the Blogger...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2199386

CINCINNATI -- There were furrowed brows when the Cincinnati Bengals overlooked some highly ranked defensive players and took Chris Perry in the first round of the 2004 draft.

Another running back? They already had Rudi Johnson, who was about to set the club's single-season rushing record. Why would they take Perry?

Six games into the season, he's starting to show why.

Perry has become an indispensable option in a high-powered offense, a shifty runner who can catch like a receiver and turn a modest play into a pivotal gain. He leads NFL running backs with 27 receptions, and is averaging 4.7 yards per carry.

Game by game, his role is expanding.

"Hopefully I can help the team a lot more," Perry said. "I think you can see the progress in me getting more touches, and hopefully I'm making enough plays to satisfy."

He had almost none as a rookie, when a pulled hamstring and a hernia limited the 26th overall pick from Michigan to two carries and three catches. It amounted to a lost year for Perry, who had surgery after the season.

Perry hasn't completely recovered, but he's healthy enough to give the offense a dimension it previously lacked. When quarterback Carson Palmer sees a defense taking away the downfield pass, he can lower his sights -- a checkdown, in football lingo -- and dump it off to Perry.

"He can turn a checkdown into a touchdown," Palmer said. "You get him one-on-one with a linebacker, and he can make him miss and get a first down. He can do a lot of things with a simple checkdown."

Perry and Johnson have been sharing a role. Johnson is a dependable straight-ahead runner. Perry is faster and more elusive, allowing him to get outside and go downfield.

"You interchange those guys in and out, and you've got power and speed and so forth," Palmer said. "We do a really good job offensively with our scheme and keeping those guys on their toes."

Linebacker Brian Simmons thinks Perry can develop into a versatile back like the Rams' Marshall Faulk, a first-rate runner and receiver.

"As he gets a little more mature and gets a little more grasp of it, that's the kind of edge he's going to give our offense," Simmons said. "He's just going to get better.

"I think he's finally feeling healthy. I don't think he's at his best right now. When you spend the whole offseason rehabbing, you're not able to get better per se. I think he's still trying to get back to ground zero."

Perry acknowledges he's not back to full strength, but won't estimate how much progress he can still make. He had his best game last Sunday in Tennessee, catching a team-high nine passes for 45 yards and carrying six times for 28 yards.

"I don't think I've had that much success," Perry said. "If I had nine catches for like 180 yards and two touchdowns, yeah. But you can always improve, and that's what I'm trying to do."

Asked if he lobbies for a bigger role in the offense or just lets his performance do his bidding, Perry said, "I do a little bit of both. I like the ball."

Like everyone else in the offense, he has to be content doing less than he'd like. The Bengals are 5-1 because Palmer has become adept at finding the open receiver -- 12 players have caught passes, six have run the ball.

Perry understands that the Bengals are tough to defend because they don't rely on one player to have a big game.

"Everybody can't be too upset when you're 5-1 and everybody's having a good year and Carson is spreading the ball around and everybody is getting catches and carries," Perry said. "It would be pretty selfish of you to be disappointed right now."

a cry for help that rudi will out score perry this year?

Who is Stinger and why does he keep humping the air? And do they have medicine they can give you to control that?
no medicine. the doc said not to try and stop it either. just let it go and it should should correct itself some day. he also mentioned to stay away from farm animals until it passes. :shrug:

more comments from teammates:Perry planned to drive Monday to Indianapolis to watch some friends when the Colts played the Rams on Monday night. One of them is the Rams’ Steven Jackson, the running back the Bengals were supposed to pick instead of Perry in the first round in 2004. But Bengals linebacker Brian Simmons sees another Rams running back when he sees Perry.“Not to say a Marshall Faulk,” Simmons said in simply comparing styles. “I think as he grows in the offense and gets a little more mature, and gets more of a grasp, I think that’s the type of edge he’s going to give our offense and that type of attack.”Palmer: “He’s electric on the field. He can make anything happen at anytime.”Perry ended his Sunday with more catches than any running back in the NFL. If not for two penalty flags, he would lead them all in receiving yards. Even the remarkable Brian Westbrook.

Another Perry article from the Blogger...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2199386

"I think he's finally feeling healthy. I don't think he's at his best right now. When you spend the whole offseason rehabbing, you're not able to get better per se. I think he's still trying to get back to ground zero."

Perry acknowledges he's not back to full strength, but won't estimate how much progress he can still make. He had his best game last Sunday in Tennessee, catching a team-high nine passes for 45 yards and carrying six times for 28 yards.

"I don't think I've had that much success," Perry said. "If I had nine catches for like 180 yards and two touchdowns, yeah. But you can always improve, and that's what I'm trying to do."
Pretty scary if Perry is performing at this level in a limited role and isn't 100% recovered from those injuries. Much like Chester Taylor in Baltimore, I wonder how long they can afford to not give this guy more touches? Yes, they are successful with Rudi and his "4 yards and a cloud of dust" routine. But, how much more explosive would their offense be with Perry getting the majority of the carries? :shock:

And for the record, I own both players in my keeper league.

Since these statements were made 2 games ago:Chris Perry 24 pts

Rudi Johnson 16 pts

Users who are viewing this thread