What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Polk, RB (HOU) (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Chris Polk appeared to move ahead of Bryce Brown in Sunday's Week 15 loss at Minnesota.

The Eagles coaches have been talking up the play of Polk lately. On Sunday, neither backup runner recorded a carry, but Polk played more snaps and saw one target. It's an indictment of Brown, who has rushed 64 times for just 188 yards (2.93 YPC) on the season. He's drawn to the sideline like a magnet while Polk hits holes hard inside.

Related: Bryce Brown

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

In a TD league, is Polk worth a shot for the desperate? The Bears run D is juicy. Thinking there might be opportunity for whoever is running #2 behind McCoy get a red zone TD. Snow or not, have to think Philly approaches this game like the Detroit game.

Rotoworld:

Eagles blogger Sheil Kapadia believes Chris Polk has a better shot at the No. 2 RB job than Bryce Brown in 2014.

Brown had an alarmingly disappointing season in 2013. Continuing to try to bounce virtually every run outside, he was stuffed for no gain or a loss 15 times on just 75 carries. If not for one 65-yard run against the Bears' historically bad rush defense, he would have averaged just 3.36 YPC despite running behind one of the game's premier offensive lines. Brown has plenty of game-breaking talent, but he might not be a fit for Chip Kelly. A trade ahead of May's draft would make sense.

Related: Chris Polk

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Chris Polk is expected to have a more prominent offensive role in 2014.
The Eagles are expected to try and trade Bryce Brown this offseason after he proved to be a poor fit in coach Chip Kelly's offense. Brown simply wastes too many yards going East-West, and Kelly prefers Polk's North-South running style. Polk is already a solid special teamer and averaged 8.9 YPC on 11 totes in 2013.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, the offseason shoulder surgery Chris Polk underwent was "major."
The Eagles never revealed the exact nature of the shoulder injury that Polk sustained in Week 8. All we know is that he began to siphon off a few snaps from Bryce Brown down the stretch and then went under the knife following the Wild Card loss to the Saints. It's possible Polk had surgery to prevent the shoulder from popping out of place going forward. Regardless, he should be healthy enough to battle Brown for a backup job in camp -- assuming Brown is still on the team.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Five under-the-radar Eagles to watchExcerpt:

Chris Polk, running back: Polk contributed last season, rushing 11 times for 98 yards and three touchdowns. The Eagles’ backfield is even more crowded this season with the addition of Darren Sproles, but look for Polk to earn more playing time in 2014. Polk joined the Eagles as an undrafted rookie in 2013 and made the roster, but he remained behind Bryce Brown on the depth chart. Both Polk and Brown are talented players – I think Brown has the better chance of being an impact starter in the NFL – but Polk is an intriguing player. He improved from his rookie year to his second season. He has a rugged running style that produces positive yards, and the coaching staff wanted to get him on the field.

I’m curious to see if the Eagles move Brown on draft day. He has the talent to start elsewhere, with an age and a contract that would be appealing for a team look for a cost-effective running back. Sproles will be used mostly as a pass catcher, so he shouldn’t take too many carries. Polk will certainly get the opportunity to be the No. 2 rusher next season, and he would fit well in that role.

From Rotoworld:

Eagles RB Chris Polk would likely lead a committee if LeSean McCoy got hurt.

Darren Sproles might see a slight bump in carries in the event of a Shady injury, but his role as a strict passing back would stay mostly intact. Polk is the traditional back that impressed coaches last year, starring on special teams and averaging 8.9 yards on his 11 carries. With Bryce Brown gone, Polk is the handcuff for McCoy owners. He's past his offseason shoulder surgery and participating fully in OTAs. Jun 12 - 9:18 AM
What does Polk become with a Shady injury? I'd say low to mid RB2.

From Rotoworld:

Eagles RB Chris Polk would likely lead a committee if LeSean McCoy got hurt.

Darren Sproles might see a slight bump in carries in the event of a Shady injury, but his role as a strict passing back would stay mostly intact. Polk is the traditional back that impressed coaches last year, starring on special teams and averaging 8.9 yards on his 11 carries. With Bryce Brown gone, Polk is the handcuff for McCoy owners. He's past his offseason shoulder surgery and participating fully in OTAs. Jun 12 - 9:18 AM
What does Polk become with a Shady injury? I'd say low to mid RB2.
Polk would become a must start unless you are otherwise stacked at RB.

Rotoworld:

CSN Philly's Geoff Mosher believes Eagles RB Chris Polk could average "between six and eight touches per game."

It's hard to imagine with Darren Sproles added to Philly's backfield. That said, Polk is now the Eagles' primary backup to LeSean McCoy with Bryce Brown gone to Buffalo. While he will not carry much re-draft value on his own, Polk is the handcuff to target for McCoy owners.

Source: CSN Philly

Jul 7 - 9:34 AM

Rotoworld:

Eagles RB Chris Polk (hamstring) plans to resume practicing next week even if he's not 100 percent.

Polk believes his roster spot is in danger. "There’s nothing guaranteed," Polk said Tuesday. "I wasn’t drafted. I’m not LeSean McCoy, Nick Foles, I’m not guaranteed anything." It's an admirable, but risky, attitude. Polk would ultimately have more to lose than gain by practicing at less than 100 percent. The Eagles are unlikely to let him. Polk's injury has opened the door for second-year UDFA Matthew Tucker.

Source: Ed Kracz on Twitter

Aug 19 - 5:14 PM

Ok so Polk officially made the 53 man roster and is mccoys direct handcuff.

This kid is on my waiver wire rt now and I suspect many others.

Not wishing an injury on McCoy, just stating the obvious, which is that he had a HUGE workload last year and has already had a few little minor nagging things this preseason like the toe.

Polk needs to be rostered rt? Even if you don't own McCoy. He is a McCoy injury away from being a too 10 back.

The question is who is the type of player that you drop for him.

Polk was finally active last week on Monday night. With 2 of the consensus top 4 RBs going down for one reason or another already and their handcufffs being very viable starting material, I feel that the handcuff for McCoy should be mandataory for all McCoy owners. I'm assuming Polk is still that guy? If McCoy were to go down I could see Sproles gettign 3-6 more touches a game, but that would still leave a good 20-25 touches for Polk in one of most high powered offenses in the nfl.

Any reason not to assume Polk is the guy?

Polk was finally active last week on Monday night. With 2 of the consensus top 4 RBs going down for one reason or another already and their handcufffs being very viable starting material, I feel that the handcuff for McCoy should be mandataory for all McCoy owners. I'm assuming Polk is still that guy? If McCoy were to go down I could see Sproles gettign 3-6 more touches a game, but that would still leave a good 20-25 touches for Polk in one of most high powered offenses in the nfl.

Any reason not to assume Polk is the guy?
The fact they kept him when he was hurt over guys who looked good in preseason (Josey, Tucker) is all you need to know. But your estimate for touches is a bit high. More like 15, mostly carries. Very similar to the Dallas situation with Dunbar/Randle but obviously Sproles is killing it far more than Dunbar.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't think Sproles gets the majority of rushes if McCoy went down.
Maybe because Sproles is 31, 5'6", 180 pounds, and has never carried the ball more than 93 times in 8 prior NFL seasons? Just a guess.
And? I never said he would receive all of the touches. There's no way he doesn't receive the majority.
Week 1, Sproles and Mccoy combine for 35 touches

Week 2, Sproles and Mccoy combine for 42 touches

I can see Sproles getting maybe 20 touches a game MAX, that leaves 15-20 touches for someone else.

But still, 20 touches for Sproles is stretching it

I don't know why anyone wouldn't think Sproles gets the majority of rushes if McCoy went down.
Maybe because Sproles is 31, 5'6", 180 pounds, and has never carried the ball more than 93 times in 8 prior NFL seasons? Just a guess.
And? I never said he would receive all of the touches. There's no way he doesn't receive the majority.
You said "the majority of rushes." The Eagles were 4th in the NFL last year with 500 rushing attempts. Sproles isn't going to triple his previous career best out of the blue at age 31.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said "the majority of rushes." The Eagles were 4th in the NFL last year with 500 rushing attempts. Sproles isn't going to triple his previous career best out of the blue at age 31.
Where did I say he was? I'm stating that Polk hasn't done anything to receive more touches than Sproles.

Very small sample size, but man has he done a lot with his touches to date: 7.3/carry and 12.3/catch with four TDs on 27 touches. Plus a kickoff return for a TD.

He's a nice stash in dynasty.

Very small sample size, but man has he done a lot with his touches to date: 7.3/carry and 12.3/catch with four TDs on 27 touches. Plus a kickoff return for a TD.

He's a nice stash in dynasty.
Can't stay healthy.
He's also seems to be pretty much a straight-ahead runner, not much burst or wiggle. He's made his plays, but some of it was kind of broken plays on the defense, especially in the last game. I wouldn't be too excited.

Injury concerns are definitely real but any talent concerns shouldn't be. There's a reason PHI stuck with Polk even though he was essentially shelved during the entire preseason with his torn hammy. He's a strong inside runner with good vision and instincts but also has legit straight line speed making him a home run threat. He also has relatively fresh legs at this point in the season; I wouldn't be surprised to see him siphon off 5-10 carries moving forward, especially if PHI leans a bit more on the run with Foles out for the season.

McCoys contract 2015:

2015: $9.75 million in base salary, of which $1 million is fully guaranteed, a $250,000 workout bonus and $250,000 in per game active roster bonuses ($15,625 per game). If McCoy is active for all 16 games, his 2015 cap number will be $11.95 million.

Maybe a split next year? Keeper value?

McCoys contract 2015:

2015: $9.75 million in base salary, of which $1 million is fully guaranteed, a $250,000 workout bonus and $250,000 in per game active roster bonuses ($15,625 per game). If McCoy is active for all 16 games, his 2015 cap number will be $11.95 million.

Sneaky suspicion this is why Polk is getting more time suddenly. Dress rehearsal to not only see what he looks like in game action but also as a sign. McCoy is more likely to restructure with PHI after seeing this unfold than if he were having a history season with no other threats.

slackjawedyokel said:
Gvindy said:
McCoys contract 2015:

Sneaky suspicion this is why Polk is getting more time suddenly. Dress rehearsal to not only see what he looks like in game action but also as a sign. McCoy is more likely to restructure with PHI after seeing this unfold than if he were having a history season with no other threats.
I agree. Looks like Chip's trying to send a message to Shady with regard to stop tap-dancing and just hit the hole hard.

Shady didn't make a concerted effort to punch the ball in the end zone when he ran out of bounds at the 1 on Sunday night. Polk's a bruiser and effective in short-yardage, but he isn't a long-term answer. Probably someone like Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin would be, but I doubt he'll be on the board when the Eagles draft.

The one good move I made this season was dumping McCoy. I had surprising clarity on that one. Of course trading Lacy and a draft pick for McCoy last offseason offsets any gains I made.

Shady is what he is. I'd think next season is going to be more of the same. Very few receptions or touchdowns, that's tough sledding for a fantasy back. Give me a guy like Crowell or Hill any day.

The one good move I made this season was dumping McCoy. I had surprising clarity on that one. Of course trading Lacy and a draft pick for McCoy last offseason offsets any gains I made.

Shady is what he is. I'd think next season is going to be more of the same. Very few receptions or touchdowns, that's tough sledding for a fantasy back. Give me a guy like Crowell or Hill any day.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but how do you explain his 2013 season then?

I agree. Looks like Chip's trying to send a message to Shady with regard to stop tap-dancing and just hit the hole hard.

Shady didn't make a concerted effort to punch the ball in the end zone when he ran out of bounds at the 1 on Sunday night. Polk's a bruiser and effective in short-yardage, but he isn't a long-term answer. Probably someone like Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin would be, but I doubt he'll be on the board when the Eagles draft.
This was exactly what I was thinking too when I was watching the game. I had McCoy in the semis in my most important league and 2 more TDs would have won it for me, but I can't really blame the Eagles for pulling McCoy at the goalline with how indecisive he has looked at times. Annoying as hell but it makes sense, really.

I saw McCoy was laughing about it though, makes it seem like this likely isn't a big deal.

What is up with the love affair for Crowell? I'm just not seeing it. Now Hill on the other hand...

LeSean McCoy admitted that Chris Polk is taking over as the Eagles' primary goal-line back.
Polk played three snaps in Week 15, turning two of them into short touchdowns. A third goal-line carry went to Darren Sproles. "Polk's obviously a little bit more powerful back, so they've been giving him some of the runs in short-yardage in a couple games, especially last game. ... "There's just some plays on 3rd-and-1 type of situations where I probably wouldn't have gotten it, where I see him kind of hit a guy, drag a guy and get in there," McCoy candidly conceded.

slackjawedyokel said:
Gvindy said:
McCoys contract 2015:

He's not getting a ton of work though. He had 0 carries two weeks ago, and only broke double digit carries once (the win over Dallas). It's clear Chip likes Polk because they kept him on the team even when he was hurt and guys in training camp looked good enough to fill his spot. But I don't see it as opening up a huge role for Polk. He is what he is, solid fill in, nice all around player, big enough for goal line. Could definitely see them moving on from McCoy next year, but if they did they'd bring in someone. RB is too important to the offense.

LeSean McCoy admitted that Chris Polk is taking over as the Eagles' primary goal-line back.
Polk played three snaps in Week 15, turning two of them into short touchdowns. A third goal-line carry went to Darren Sproles. "Polk's obviously a little bit more powerful back, so they've been giving him some of the runs in short-yardage in a couple games, especially last game. ... "There's just some plays on 3rd-and-1 type of situations where I probably wouldn't have gotten it, where I see him kind of hit a guy, drag a guy and get in there," McCoy candidly conceded.
LeSean McCoy doesn't mind ceding goal-line work to Chris Polk

Rotoworld:

Chris Polk rushed seven times for 38 yards with a touchdown in Sunday's Week 17 win over the Giants.

Polk once again stole goal-line work from LeSean McCoy, punching in a 1-yard score in the fourth quarter. The Eagles didn't hide the fact that the talented, 222-pounder is now their preferred option in short-yardage situations. So even though Polk's third NFL season finishes with just 46 carries for 172 yards and three touchdowns, his fantasy value is greater than that looking ahead. Polk, a restricted free agent, will get goal-line scores and is an excellent handcuff to McCoy in 2015.

Dec 28 - 7:01 PM

Rotoworld:

Chris Polk - RB - Eagles

After dealing LeSean McCoy, the Philadelphia Inquirer expects Eagles coach Chip Kelly to "more evenly distribute the carries to three tailbacks as he did at Oregon."
Beat writer Jeff McLane expects the Eagles to "add a lead back" in free agency or the draft. We wouldn't be shocked if Philly brought in two more running backs of relatively high quality, as Darren Sproles is going on age 32 and Chris Polk is an oft-injured restricted free agent. Either way, we'd be stunned if Polk or Sproles entered 2015 as the Eagles' lead runner.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer
Mar 4 - 10:58 PM

Rotoworld:

The Eagles reportedly plan to offer restricted free agent RB Chris Polk a one-year, $1.6 million tender.

The Eagles aren't showing running backs much love this offseason. They traded LeSean McCoy to Buffalo and now they're tendering short-yardage back Polk at the lowest possible level. If the Eagles don't match Polk's best offer, they won't be entitled to any compensation. If they had offered Polk a second-round tender ($2 million), they could have gotten a second-round pick. Philadelphia's running back situation has never been less clear.

Source: NJ.com
Mar 5 - 8:23 AM

Maybe the Eagles are gunning for drafting an RB rather than Mariota. They won't need to trade up to get one.

Rotoworld:

The Eagles reportedly plan to offer restricted free agent RB Chris Polk a one-year, $1.6 million tender.

The Eagles aren't showing running backs much love this offseason. They traded LeSean McCoy to Buffalo and now they're tendering short-yardage back Polk at the lowest possible level. If the Eagles don't match Polk's best offer, they won't be entitled to any compensation. If they had offered Polk a second-round tender ($2 million), they could have gotten a second-round pick. Philadelphia's running back situation has never been less clear.

Source: NJ.com
Mar 5 - 8:23 AM
That's not a good omen. Sure - it gives him a chance in this dandy offense.

But if he was set to get the bulk of the carries (or even a high number of reps) the team would have gotten more years out of it.

This looks as if its a placeholder move only ... and to keep some depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread