What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chromebook -- Highly recommend (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I've always been curious about these, and even though I don't have a need for another laptop right now, can't hurt to have a spare around the house/for the commute -- saw a used Samsung Chromebook on eBay for $150 and snatched it up. Got it today.

Great device. About the same size as my Macbook Air, keyboard is just as good. Chrome OS is great. Simple and streamlined.

I think this is the future of laptop computing, and for most of us probably does everything we need. 99.9% of what I do on my computer is:

- Gmail
- Web browsing
- Youtube
- Google Docs/Drive
- Spotify for all my music (there's a Chrome web app, works great)
- Chromecast (I was using this to beam stuff from my Macbook to my TV, works the same from my Chromebook)
- I haven't tested it yet, but I just installed the Citrix app, which means I can do all my remote work as I would from my Macbook.

Awesome, best $150 I've spent on technology in a while. The only downsides I've found so far are that it is a little slower (slightly) than my Macbook, and it doesn't allow 3 finger gestures like a Macbook. Otherwise a slam dunk. As for not having local storage, I don't store much locally anymore anyway, and if I ever have a desperate need, this has an SD Card slot and USB port for a big thumb drive if needed.

Highly recommend one of these if you're on the market for a small laptop and want something inexpensive.

YWIA

I've used the Citrix app on my Chromebook for access to my work computer. Works as expected. I haven't really used it much for work since the screen is so small. I prefer my larger laptop for working.

I find myself grabbing the Chromebook more often than the Ipad when I just want to quickly hop on the internet. It's great for sitting around on Sundays on the couch while watching football.

Sounds negatives that I've found:

Can't get Watch ESPN to work on it.

NFL.com only displays their mobile site on Chromebook and I can't get to their full site.

I've used the Citrix app on my Chromebook for access to my work computer. Works as expected. I haven't really used it much for work since the screen is so small. I prefer my larger laptop for working.
Good to know -- I'm having some hiccups getting it to work, but it's probably my config and the fact that my IT dept. just rolled out a new remote system. I'm sure I can work through it. re: screen size, I don't have a home office or a desktop set up, so all my work has always been done from my Macbook anyway.

This thing is great. Spotify app really rounds it out for me -- that's the only thing I had any concern about, but it's available and works great.

Google is going to take over the universe.

Does it do anything at all if you aren't online? My biggest issue with looking at one is that I write a lot without Internet connectivity using word or notepad.

Have one of the initial pilot devices. Like all technology that's a waste, I dumped it on my kids. She uses it every now and then, but as a whole it sits there.

I got one of these and I use it all the time, probably more than my expensive laptop. It's incredibly light, and it does pretty much everything I need from my computer, except for allowing me to play games (it has no CD drive).

They are great for people that basically use their computer as a portal to access the Internet. You can do basic Office tasks (Google Docs), email, web browsing, there are even quite a few online games you can play in the browser. And you really can't get a virus, if somehow your system does get fouled up, it takes like 90 seconds to "powerwash" it back to a fresh install, and you don't lose anything (unless you store stuff locally that isn't on removable media).

Great device, I actually looked at the ChromeBook Pixel when I was laptop shopping, but I needed to be able to install things for web development. Plus it was $1300 and my budget was $1000 +/- just a little. I'd like to see more mid-range options ($300-$600), maybe there are now as I haven't checked in a few months.

Can you download torrents with one of these?
This is basically my only question as well. If I could hook it up to my external hard drive, download torrents, and use a simple video program like VLC, I'd be in.

Does it have an HDMI port?
Has HDMI and USB.

Right now I have an external hard drive connected by USB and I can view 3gp videos (which were taken with an android phone). I can hear avi files, but I don't see a picture for some reason. I have a couple movies ripped onto this external hard drive (IFO files, I think) and they don't launch at all. MPEG video files don't launch but the MPEG audio (my itunes files) play audio.

Not sure if there are apps that can help some of these or not.

ETA: Just saw some MOV quicktime videos that played successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys were looking at some expensive ones. This thing goes for I think $250 brand new.

I find myself grabbing the Chromebook more often than the Ipad when I just want to quickly hop on the internet. It's great for sitting around on Sundays on the couch while watching football.

Sounds negatives that I've found:

Can't get Watch ESPN to work on it.

NFL.com only displays their mobile site on Chromebook and I can't get to their full site.
Never thought about using these with Citrix. A portable dumb terminal that you can actually get some work done on when out of the office. And cheaper than the Wyse terminals to boot. Gonna have to look into these to see if it's a good solution where I work.

You guys were looking at some expensive ones. This thing goes for I think $250 brand new.
And you can find great deals with a little bit of effort. Both these deals are dead right now but in this past month they were pretty amazing for pre-BlackFriday deals and if Haswell chromebooks are just around the corner I imagine deals at least his good will resurface before xmas....

http://slickdeals.net/f/6329630-hp-pavilion-14-chromebook-w-intel-cpu-4gb-ram-16gb-ssd-wi-fi-refub-180

http://slickdeals.net/f/6288202-acer-11-6-c710-2856-chromebook-100-walmart-ymmv

I still say an affordable tablet is a better experience when on the couch but at these prices a chromebook is a perfect computer to keep in your car and compliment your cell phone when you are out of the house.

Concept is great...

I bought one and the screen broke when I dropped it. Have to say it is very cheaply made - you get what you pay for.

Concept is great...

I bought one and the screen broke when I dropped it. Have to say it is very cheaply made - you get what you pay for.
I dunno about that. These things are often more plastic and lighter than much more expensive items so they withstand a fall better.

Just about everyone I know that has an iphone has at some point or another had a cracked screen with one of them(which is why I think glass screens are a ridiculous choice for children). But I don't think the cause is they are cheaply made. Drop almost any piece of electronics and based on a bunch of variables you might be screwed.

And you can find great deals with a little bit of effort. Both these deals are dead right now but in this past month they were pretty amazing for pre-BlackFriday deals and if Haswell chromebooks are just around the corner I imagine deals at least his good will resurface before xmas....

http://slickdeals.net/f/6329630-hp-pavilion-14-chromebook-w-intel-cpu-4gb-ram-16gb-ssd-wi-fi-refub-180

http://slickdeals.net/f/6288202-acer-11-6-c710-2856-chromebook-100-walmart-ymmv

I still say an affordable tablet is a better experience when on the couch but at these prices a chromebook is a perfect computer to keep in your car and compliment your cell phone when you are out of the house.
I just need a real keyboard to do the most of things I do -- we had an iPad, and it was fine, but I can get a lot more done, and a lot more quickly, with a keyboard.

I strongly considered this, as my computer work habits are much like Otis'.

But I found a little HP Folio that only weigh 1# more, has a hdd and OS, much more connectivity & storage options, and the biggest thing for me a backlit keyboard. Its portability and usage in a dimly lit or darkened room greatly enhances the situations where I can use it. Also the 13.3 screen is a huge plus. It cost me about $400 with a lot of shopping.

If the Chrome could keep its price point and add a backlit keyboard, it would have been a tougher decision.

Good thread, I was just looking at one of these - I have a 7 inch tablet but feel like this is way more useful for a comparable price.

They just came out with a few new ones -

HP - similar specs to the one Otis described, but I believe the screen is supposed to be pretty improved

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/hp-chromebook-11/

Acer - my understanding is this processor is supposed to be able to handle a little more than the HP/Samsung versions.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html#ac-c720

Samsung - Believe this is what Otis has. Seems to have good feedback, and (I think?) same internals as the new HP with a lesser screen, but can be had for a good bit less if you look around. (seems like ~$150ish used)

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html#ss-cb

I think the Pixel version is a lot nicer but costs way more - believe all of these can be had for under $300 brand new. I am looking at the cheap ones so don't know anything about that.

You can also do this -
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

I'm not very technically inclined, but my understanding is that will basically give you closer to a full OS experience than Chrome OS, although it seems like Chrome OS covers most everything I'd do.

Can I use a USB mouse on one of these? The mouse pad gets tiresome.

Also... how hard it is to set it up to access a wireless printer?

You can also do this -
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

I'm not very technically inclined, but my understanding is that will basically give you closer to a full OS experience than Chrome OS, although it seems like Chrome OS covers most everything I'd do.
Excellent. Will probably end up doing the above.

Just pulled the trigger on one on Ebay. With Ubuntu or Chrome, I should be able to access our VPN.
What's the difference between ChromeOS and it's browser? To me, it seems better to buy a budget lappy with an i3 that can boot into Windows and Linux, and just use the Chrome browser with it's apps. I understand those who may prefer ChromeOS to Win 8 as far as needs, but the Chromebook seems like another generation of the netbook, which is what tablets took over.

You can also do this -

Just pulled the trigger on one on Ebay. With Ubuntu or Chrome, I should be able to access our VPN.
They make that Linux install look pretty easy. Sort of tempting, but I'm not sure I really need to do it for anything...

You can also do this -

What's the difference between ChromeOS and it's browser? To me, it seems better to buy a budget lappy with an i3 that can boot into Windows and Linux, and just use the Chrome browser with it's apps. I understand those who may prefer ChromeOS to Win 8 as far as needs, but the Chromebook seems like another generation of the netbook, which is what tablets took over.
My understanding is the ChromeOS is their version of an OS, like Windows - and the OS is basically centrered around the Chrome browser and its apps. I think it's a really stripped down OS focused on google products. I am actually not very familiar with it but have been reading up as I am contemplating getting one.

I have a tablet but I find myself not really using it as I don't enjoy the overall experience, but the laptop I have now is really big. Completely understand why people see no need for these things, but I personally waste enough time online I am considering the investment. I'm mainly interested in the smaller size and the price - I am leaning heavily towards the Acer one that went on pre-sale last week which is $250 new.

Is there a good mail app that is similar to Outlook? Am thinking about one of these for my mother, and she is confident with Outlook. I need ability to use my own imap servers, since I have my own domain.

Wife bought me a Samsung Chromebook this summer for my birthday. Works well for a laptop in my den. However, I bought a small cheap USB mouse to hook up to it. Causes the OS to crash way too often. Not a problem when the mouse isn't plugged in. Brought a more expensive wireless Logictech mouse from work and tried it out. No crashes.

Very tempted by the HP Chromebook 14 that is coming out now. Very.

Supposedly the 14 and the new Acer one will have a couple of minorly different varriations out next month, so I'm waiting. The 14 may have a version with a backlit keyboard, the Acer may have a touchscreen version, and they both may have versions with a higher screen resolution. If so, I'm definitely jumping in.

I don't like how there is so many models because I'm dumb.

I'm thinking about getting the 11 or acer c720. Will probably just use it for browsing emailing. Would like to hack into my work computer from home if needed.

How does this compare to the iPad for dicking around on the Internet?

I'm thinking about getting the 11 or acer c720. Will probably just use it for browsing emailing. Would like to hack into my work computer from home if needed.

I think better, because the lack of a keyboard on the iPad always drove me bananas. If you don't care about typing, then iPad is fine.

I think better, because the lack of a keyboard on the iPad always drove me bananas. If you don't care about typing, then iPad is fine.
You have giant hands like I do. How's typing on the Samsung?

I'm really leaning towards the new HP Chromebook14 mostly because the keyboard would be normal sized. Otherwise I think I'd get the Acer 720.

Users who are viewing this thread