What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ciatrick Fason (1 Viewer)

Portis 26

Madden Freak
Watch out for Ciatrick Fason. He'd be an excellent player to trade for in dynasty leagues (if you can get him cheap) right now. And here's why.

Minnesota has a bunch of RBs, but Michael Bennett and Moe Williams are out of contract and will not be re-signed, so they're gone.

Onterrio Smith is a RFA and has the whole Whizzinator thing hanging over him. Given new coach Brad Childress' disciplinarian streak (as Terrell Owens discovered), I doubt he's in the picture.

Which means that the RB job for the Vikings comes down to:

a) Mewelde Moore

b) Fason

c) Someone else

Of course the Vikings could easily go for c).

But my suspicion is this. That Childress will think that in Moore and Fason he's got good fits for his offense which needs versatile, pass-catching backs, and they're both under contract and cheap.

Moore has already proved himself, but Fason is no slouch either. He was extremely highly touted coming out of college, and it looks like he would be a very nice fit for the offense.

Given the extent to which Fason is flying under the radar right now, it would be smart to get him now if you do it cheaply enough.

Fason is no slouch either.
Don't sell him short.... he's a tremendous slouch.1.17 - Minnesota Vikings - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnnesota

Ciatrick WHO???

I watched nearly all of Fason's carries last year. Impressive he was not. He was the goal line back for awhile with Moe Williams out of the picture, and he had some struggles in that area. Also, in the open field he was nothing special. He looked out of shape, and he tends to run with a "lumbering" style. He also won't make anyone miss. The good news is, chances are he'll improve on his 1.9 YPC average of '05.

If Maroney ends up in purple, sell your first-born to get him on your dynasty roster.

Maroney would be pretty solid here in a Vikings uniform with their blocking schemes, but you know Childress wants that pound-the-rock guy just as much as the end-around perimeter guy... Have to believe he'll want to give Fason/Moore a chance and go after a back who can pound it up the gut.

I don't believe he would spend a first round pick getting a 3rd unproven perimeter back.

I could be wrong though.

There is also potentially a lot of homer bias, being that Maroney played college ball in Minnesota.

Last edited:
Maroney would be pretty solid here in a Vikings uniform with their blocking schemes, but you know Childress wants that pound-the-rock guy just as much as the end-around perimeter guy... Have to believe he'll want to give Fason/Moore a chance and go after a back who can pound it up the gut.

I don't believe he would spend a first round pick getting a 3rd unproven perimeter back.

I could be wrong though.

There is also potentially a lot of homer bias, being that Maroney played college ball in Minnesota.
What makes you think Maroney is a one-trick pony? He seems to be a pretty effective between-the-tackles runner from what I saw. Purely from a size standpoint, Maroney is 5'11", 210. Emmitt Smith, as a comparison, was 5'9", 212. I think the kid can do it all.

By that logic, LenDale White ought to just cut himself now:

White: 6'1 235

Clarett: 5'11 230 :thumbdown:

Seriously though, there's a good chance they gamble on him, but a first year coach that has two guys of similar skill sets spending a first-round pick on a 3rd back?

And they lose their Moe Williams..... who's going to steal the goal-line carries? You? Me? LenDale White?

Last edited:
By that logic, LenDale White ought to just cut himself now:

White: 6'1 235

Clarett: 5'11 230 :thumbdown:

Seriously though, there's a good chance they gamble on him, but a first year coach that has two guys of similar skill sets spending a first-round pick on a 3rd back?

And they lose their Moe Williams..... who's going to steal the goal-line carries? You? Me? LenDale White?
I think the kid can do it all.
MUST you give me agita every evening?

He and that rook from Carolina(Shelton) better show up to camp rarin' to go. I think they left such a poor impression with their teams that the right FA or rookie could steal their job if they continue to play poorly.

Fason may have Bennett, Mewelde, and Onterrio ahead of him so he could have a tough road as it is.

Shelton with Davis gettin' hurt and Foster a FA may have a spot gift wrapped.

They did not live up to the hype they got here, that's for sure

IMO O smith has a better chance to start. Its MM or someone else. And trust me it will be someone else. They need to trade Williamson for D Davis.And stop talking about trading your only good player for a 2nd rounder. If they move Pepper, It wont matter if SA was their RB.They will suck. IMO they will anyway.

Fason is no slouch either.
Don't sell him short.... he's a tremendous slouch.1.17 - Minnesota Vikings - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnnesota

Ciatrick WHO???

I watched nearly all of Fason's carries last year. Impressive he was not. He was the goal line back for awhile with Moe Williams out of the picture, and he had some struggles in that area. Also, in the open field he was nothing special. He looked out of shape, and he tends to run with a "lumbering" style. He also won't make anyone miss. The good news is, chances are he'll improve on his 1.9 YPC average of '05.

If Maroney ends up in purple, sell your first-born to get him on your dynasty roster.
I think you should also keep in mind that Fason was far and away the most raw of any of the major rookie RBs this past year. He really wasn't expected to get much of a role as a RB in that crowded backfield and yet he did. Part of that was the ineptitude of the other RBs, but part of it could have been something he showed on the practice field. I am not saying he will set the league on fire, but perhaps after seeing what it takes to make in the NFL and an offseason to mature, will make a positive difference. :shrug:

I could be wrong though.

What makes you think Maroney is a one-trick pony? He seems to be a pretty effective between-the-tackles runner from what I saw. Purely from a size standpoint, Maroney is 5'11", 210. Emmitt Smith, as a comparison, was 5'9", 212. I think the kid can do it all.
I hate to be the fly in the ointment (OK, no I don't :P ) but being 2" taller and 2 lb lighter makes him skinnier than Smith. Unless being skinnier makes it easier for him to slip through holes? :D

I could be wrong though.

I hate to be the fly in the ointment (OK, no I don't :P ) but being 2" taller and 2 lb lighter makes him skinnier than Smith. Unless being skinnier makes it easier for him to slip through holes? :D
Putting 10lbs. on isn't too hard to do so it's not something to worry about. Cadillac was knocked last year because he weighed 205.

I could be wrong though.

Putting 10lbs. on isn't too hard to do so it's not something to worry about. Cadillac was knocked last year because he weighed 205.
Agreed, though IMO Maroney needs more than 10 lbs and I think 20 lb more might affect speed? (Not that I'm feeling ambitious enough to do it myself ATM, but I'd love to see a weight/speed comparison)

This is good food for thought. But the Vikings will definitely bring in another running back so Fason will still have to earn the position (if he were to start).

Ciatrick Fason, Minnesota Vikings – He never got a legitimate opportunity under Mike Tice, and his role is still up in the air with the Vikings. But with Mewelde Moore expected to be used on special teams, Fason should handle most of the snaps as the backup behind Chester Taylor. Considering Taylor's size, there is no guarantee he will be able to stand up with a full workload. Fason has good game speed and has potential as a flanker.

As I stated in another thread, here is a look at his 2005 numbers:

-Fason had a 1.9 YPC on the season

-He had 12 carries inside the five for a total of -1 yards.

-He gained zero or lost yards on 7 out of 12 carries inside the opp 5.

Ciatrick Fason, Minnesota Vikings – He never got a legitimate opportunity under Mike Tice, and his role is still up in the air with the Vikings. But with Mewelde Moore expected to be used on special teams, Fason should handle most of the snaps as the backup behind Chester Taylor. Considering Taylor's size, there is no guarantee he will be able to stand up with a full workload. Fason has good game speed and has potential as a flanker.
# 29 Chester Taylor Position: RB

Height: 5-11

Weight: 213

# 28 Curtis Martin

Position: RB

Height: 5-11

Weight: 210

:lmao: :lmao:

How good was the Vikings OL compared to this year? Weren't they near the bottom of the league in rushing?

That's generally what happens withshort yardage RBs, especially rookies with such a small sample size...

Bump for any more opinions on this guy. I have him on my roster, but I'm thinking about cutting him loose (I would only have him this year, then he becomes a FA).

Is he worth a roster spot? Or is he buried on the depth chart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump for any more opinions on this guy. I have him on my roster, but I'm thinking about cutting him loose (I would only have him this year, then he becomes a FA).

As always, it depends on who else would fill that roster spot.What you are really asking is a comparitive quesiton, so you need to compare Fason to somebody else.

Cut him loose. Too many bodies in MIN.

Bump for any more opinions on this guy.  I have him on my roster, but I'm thinking about cutting him loose (I would only have him this year, then he becomes a FA).

Is he worth a roster spot?  Or is he buried on the depth chart?
Cut him loose. Too many bodies in MIN.
I would agree. Plus you have a new coaching staff that didn't draft him and thus has no pre-existing ties to the guy.

With a new coaching staff in Minny it's definately hard to make any decisions about Fason I'd imagine ... Childress has indicated he'd like Chester Taylor to be his goto guy at RB and will give Chester every opportunity to be just that ... Fason was drafted by the Tice regeme so there are no ties to the coaching staff and the Vikings drafted a RB this year......

"69(42) Taurean Henderson, RB, MIN – Henderson was another casualty of the NFL’s disinterest in drafting late round RBs this year. He’s still one of the five best receiving backs in this draft class and there is not an established starter in Minnesota. Like most of the talents that went undrafted, he could be a viable stash and hold player in deep leagues if he makes a roster."

If I had Fason on my roster right now ... I'd be inclined to see how things shake out over the early summer and into the early pre-season games .. watch how Childress see's Fason fitting into his scheme then make your decision ... If you haven't let this guy go by now .. you have little to nothing to gain by cutting bait at this point.

:popcorn:

I have never seen a RB run as straight up as Fason...can't see him lasting long before he gets hammered and out with an injury.

Watch out for Ciatrick Fason. He'd be an excellent player to trade for in dynasty leagues (if you can get him cheap) right now. And here's why.

Minnesota has a bunch of RBs, but Michael Bennett and Moe Williams are out of contract and will not be re-signed, so they're gone.

Onterrio Smith is a RFA and has the whole Whizzinator thing hanging over him. Given new coach Brad Childress' disciplinarian streak (as Terrell Owens discovered), I doubt he's in the picture.

Which means that the RB job for the Vikings comes down to:

a) Mewelde Moore

b) Fason

c) Someone else

Of course the Vikings could easily go for c).

But my suspicion is this. That Childress will think that in Moore and Fason he's got good fits for his offense which needs versatile, pass-catching backs, and they're both under contract and cheap.

Moore has already proved himself, but Fason is no slouch either. He was extremely highly touted coming out of college, and it looks like he would be a very nice fit for the offense.

Given the extent to which Fason is flying under the radar right now, it would be smart to get him now if you do it cheaply enough.
I totally agree.Fason is a steal in the later

rounds of a dynasty draft.

Users who are viewing this thread