What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization V announced. :nerd:^10000 (1 Viewer)

culdeus

Footballguy
2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc, today announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V, the newest entry from the genre-defining strategy-based franchise, is currently in development at Firaxis Games for PC. Civilization V reinvigorates the classic turn-based strategy genre with an astonishing new engine built from the ground-up for this flagship edition of the Civilization franchise. Players are introduced to an entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of entertainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known.

Civilization V takes this definitive strategy game series in new directions with the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire. The brand new engine orchestrates a spectacular visual experience that brings players closer to the Civ experience than ever, featuring fully animated leaders interacting with players from a screen-filling diplomatic scene and speaking in their native language for the first time. Wars between empires feel massive as armies dominate the landscape, and combat is more exciting and intense than ever before. The addition of ranged bombardment allows players to fire weapons from behind the front lines, challenging players to develop clever new strategies to guarantee victory on the battlefield. In addition to the new gameplay features debuting in Civilization V, an extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements will also make an appearance.

"Sid Meier's Civilization franchise has been recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all time with millions of units sold worldwide," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "Civilization V takes the franchise further by offering players a more immersive experience with deeper strategies; heightened tactical combat; vast, realistic landscapes to explore, battle over and claim as their own; and an in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other without leaving the game. This marks a new era that will forever change the franchise responsible for sleep deprivation and reduced productivity for nearly two decades."

"Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenges for our team," said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. "Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing. From fully animated leaders and realistic landscapes, new combat tactics, expanded diplomacy and shared mods, we're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

In addition to Civilization V, Firaxis Games is also currently developing Sid Meier's Civilization Network, a Civ game for Facebook. With Sid Meier leading design, Civilization Network will offer yet another option for world domination to both the casual gamer and the biggest fans of the series. It's another way to access the famously addictive world of Civilization.

Civ5 Website

Well, between this and a new Fallout game coming out I might as well say goodbye to the wife and kid for a couple years.

:angry:

Yep, saw a release on it. Been waiting for awhile. Heck there haven't been any good games in awhile. I think this Fall will have several I'll be interested in though (Fallout: New Vegas, possibly Starcraft 2).

:thumbup:

Never played a Civ game. I was more into SimCity and back in the day I was into SimGolf plenty. I am also a Mac guy so games tend to not be too high on the priority list. Sadly, I know my Powerbook (circa 2005) will not be able to handle Civ 5 or possibly even Civ 4 if I was to download it. I won't go out and buy a new computer just to play this game but am interested in seeing what this game can do and who you can play as. I enjoyed Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds when it came out and I would like to play that one again.

CIV IV is the only game I currently have on my computer that I still play. I'm really looking forward to the new hexagon tiles and ranged bombardment. Can't wait to see how the hexagons alter the "fat cross" and how your city tiles get effected and will be nice to actually be able to protect your ranged units.

Would also like some tweaking of the tech tree and further improvements of the online multiplayer system, some new wonders and a better air/sea battle environment. I just hope I don't need to spend too much $$$ upgrading my system. But then again, I'm sure Starcraft 2 will so I guess that won't actually be an issue.

Great now I need to change my pants.

:shrug: :thumbdown: :excited: :excited: :excited:

I've been playing Civ IV BtS a lot the past few months. Civilization is the only game I own that I'll go back to and play month after month after month.

I imagine the 'fat cross' will just be a big hex now.

Hopefully they provided more strategy options in the default tech tree rather than just 'race straight to Liberalism'.

I wasted a lot of time last summer playing CivIV with the 'Rise of Mankind 2' mod.

CIV IV is the only game I currently have on my computer that I still play. I'm really looking forward to the new hexagon tiles and ranged bombardment. Can't wait to see how the hexagons alter the "fat cross" and how your city tiles get effected and will be nice to actually be able to protect your ranged units. Would also like some tweaking of the tech tree and further improvements of the online multiplayer system, some new wonders and a better air/sea battle environment. I just hope I don't need to spend too much $$$ upgrading my system. But then again, I'm sure Starcraft 2 will so I guess that won't actually be an issue.
Most project the city to have a 19 tile FC rather than 21.

I imagine the 'fat cross' will just be a big hex now.Hopefully they provided more strategy options in the default tech tree rather than just 'race straight to Liberalism'.
I doubt that changes much. I can't even fathom trying to win at immortal or higher without that with the original game. In BTS you do have espionage options which somewhat obsolete liberalism as a dead end.

Speaking of.... what is the better, most cost effective way of getting your computer up to date so it can actually play these games? My 'gaming' PC is about 7 years old and even though I have Civ IV, it can not handle it. Do I need to just buy a new hard drive or processor etc or is it just better to buy a new one? If I buy a new one, what is the best thing to do with the old one? Recycle in some way? Donate?

Speaking of.... what is the better, most cost effective way of getting your computer up to date so it can actually play these games? My 'gaming' PC is about 7 years old and even though I have Civ IV, it can not handle it. Do I need to just buy a new hard drive or processor etc or is it just better to buy a new one? If I buy a new one, what is the best thing to do with the old one? Recycle in some way? Donate?
The problem with CIV was the core was not designed in time to properly address the on board GPUs+multi-core processors which became prevalent almost immediately after launch. I don't think they adequately foresaw their market as primarily notebook based either. They did nothing to address this problem in later updates, and in many ways some of the later updates made this worse.If nothing else CV should allow better processor utilization, but swapping to a machine using a stand-alone GPU would obviously be preferable.

The problem with CIV was the core was not designed in time to properly address the on board GPUs+multi-core processors which became prevalent almost immediately after launch. I don't think they adequately foresaw their market as primarily notebook based either. They did nothing to address this problem in later updates, and in many ways some of the later updates made this worse.If nothing else CV should allow better processor utilization, but swapping to a machine using a stand-alone GPU would obviously be preferable.
:goodposting: Great. Now can someone translate that into English for me?

About the only thing you could salvage from that would be the CD drive which is like 20 bucks anyway. Civ games arent really all that hardware intensive. Its easy enough to get a low end comp from a manufacturer, then replace the power source and graphics card, as no major computer brands make actual gaming comps for a decent price. Made my last comp that way for maybe 1200 a few years ago. It was a good rig at the time and only really needs an upgrade to better RAM to be viable for several more years.

I remember spending hours on Civ II. I had the whole tech tree poster taped above my pc.

The hexagons remind me of a Settlers board.

I still play CivII a few times a week - it's pretty much become the "solitare" time waster on my computer when I want to veg for few seconds. I think I melted my Civ III cd I played it so much but I never did get to CivIV.

My problem is I just don't think I have the time to invest in one of these things again. I remember a good CivIII game took months to get through.

;) question:

i read on the Civ V forums that having hexagonal tiles could make it possible to create a true globe map, instead of the cylindrical maps that have been so typical of the Civ I-IV series. Can anyone shed light on this?

FWIW, I doubt you can make a globe with all hexagons. A soccer ball has 20 hexagons and 12 pentagons, so unless there's a way to put all the pentagons at the poles so most of the playable tiles are hexagons, a true globe map might still not be possible.

It would be cool to do a Northern Passage game on Civ V (where the ice lanes north of the Canadian mainland melt and ships take shortcuts from N. America to Russia).

Last edited by a moderator:
I so wish there were a demo out there for this. Started a new game of CivIV over the weekend for the first time in over a year. Made me long for a new version.

:) Great. Now can someone translate that into English for me?
Simply speaking, a multi-core processor can dedicate resources to keep your computer up and running, and then dedicate resources to running games. For your current system, it would be like adding a totally new processor to your existing one.

Yeah, I still play Civ II. Didn't really like III and never tried IV.
I just started a game of Civ II a few days ago. After not playing for a year. My old roommate had Civ III, never partook. I ignored Civ IV. But I am excited about Civ V, will definitely buy.

Civ 3 was very disappointing but IV knocked it out of the park. Read this article a week or two ago and was so excited I almost downloaded CIV IV direct to drive since I sold my copy on ebay ages ago.

:thumbdown: to removing Religion, I thought that was a really neat aspect that they incorporated into IV.

I'm just now starting to seriously mess around with religion, espionage and corporations in Civ IV. I don't like the idea of removing the extra dimensions religion and espionage give you.

Seems like the main selling point of this version so far is the improved graphics. I don't really need spiffy graphics on my turn based strategy game. There are plenty of other games/movies that lend themselves to shiny graphics - I tend to disable that stuff in Civ as I find it a waste of time/distracting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just now starting to seriously mess around with religion, espionage and corporations in Civ IV. I don't like the idea of removing the extra dimensions religion and espionage give you.Seems like the main selling point of this version so far is the improved graphics. I don't really need spiffy graphics on my turn based strategy game. There are plenty of other games/movies that lend themselves to shiny graphics - I tend to disable that stuff in Civ as I find it a waste of time/distracting.
Between the hexes, revamped culture expansion, massively overhauled combat and seemingly greatly improved AI, seems to me that there is plenty new in the game other than graphics. Plus, espionage was more or less useless in the initial version of Civ IV and the articles indicate religion and espionage may not exactly be scrapped, may just be on the back burner until expansions are released.

Users who are viewing this thread