What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Claude Wroten, DT LSU, busted for marijuana posession. - 2006 (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
LSU DE Wroten Jr. arrested on drug charges
STERLINGTON, La. -- LSU defensive end Claude Wroten Jr. was arrested on a drug charge after police stopped him for speeding and found marijuana in his car, authorities said Thursday.Wroten, 22, of Bastrop, was booked late Wednesday for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and was released on $3,000 bond from the Ouachita Correctional Center, police said.Officers stopped Wroten on U.S. 165 around 11:35 p.m. Wednesday just north of Sterlington High School, Police Chief Barry Bonner said. He was clocked at 77 mph in a 65 mph zone, Bonner said.When asked if he had anything illegal in the car, Bonner said Wroten admitted having marijuana for personal consumption. Officers found one bag inside the car in plain view and discovered another tucked in his shoe.Wroten also had $4,000 in cash, which he said was a loan from his financial adviser to prepare for NFL training, the chief said. Police were unable to immediately contact the adviser, whose name was not released.Wroten, a senior, played on the LSU team that defeated the University of Miami in the Dec. 20 Peach Bowl. Wroten was credited with 45 tackles and five sacks this season. Early NFL draft predictions had Wroten being picked in early rounds.He could not be reached for comment. His father, Claude Wroten Sr., answered the phone at the family's home in Bastrop on Thursday."I believe he was set up because Claude is not a drug dealer," the elder Wroten said in an interview with The Associated Press. "But that's what happens when kids don't listen to their parents."Wroten's father said he and his wife had been discussing their son's future with an agent, whom he wouldn't name, but Claude Jr. decided to go his own way. "He was talking to some fellow in New York who opened his eyes so wide," he said. "When he started making his own decisions, this is what happened."The Wrotens said they had not yet spoken with their son, who lives with them. He said he did not know if an attorney had been assigned to the case and was unsure what would happen next.LSU Sports Information Director Michael Bonnette said Wroten had completed his athletic eligibility.
Does Mary Jane really make you feel so good that you'll throw away millions for it?Sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Throw away millions? Please.
Maybe I should bump Rod Wright back into round 1. I did have Wroten near the end of the first. What a fool. A rookie DL in the drug program. He probably has cost himself millions.

:(

He def cost himself millions. On the other hand, does anyone else think whatever cop did this is kind of a #####? He was doing 77 in a 65. Any of the 65 mph zones by me (highways obviously) everyone cruises at 75-80, and the only people who EVER get pulled over are the ones doing 85+.I dont even know what race this man is, but does anyone else smell a little DWB?Also, the man had two small dime bags, and they book him on intent to sell? Weak. Before anyone else jumps down my throat for defending this guy, If it was me, and I smoked alot of dope, and I had managed to get through college undetected, I would quit just long enough before I got that first gauranteed contract. If the risk of losing the millions this man will lose isnt worth it to you to quit for a few months, then you might actually have a problem.

He def cost himself millions.

On the other hand, does anyone else think whatever cop did this is kind of a #####? He was doing 77 in a 65. Any of the 65 mph zones by me (highways obviously) everyone cruises at 75-80, and the only people who EVER get pulled over are the ones doing 85+.

I dont even know what race this man is, but does anyone else smell a little DWB?

Also, the man had two small dime bags, and they book him on intent to sell? Weak.

Before anyone else jumps down my throat for defending this guy, If it was me, and I smoked alot of dope, and I had managed to get through college undetected, I would quit just long enough before I got that first gauranteed contract. If the risk of losing the millions this man will lose isnt worth it to you to quit for a few months, then you might actually have a problem.
Who's to say that he was not cool to the cop? There was a reason the cop searched the car. They do not search the car every time they give speeding tickets on the highway.

On the other hand, does anyone else think whatever cop did this is kind of a #####? He was doing 77 in a 65. Any of the 65 mph zones by me (highways obviously) everyone cruises at 75-80, and the only people who EVER get pulled over are the ones doing 85+.

I dont even know what race this man is, but does anyone else smell a little DWB?

Also, the man had two small dime bags, and they book him on intent to sell? Weak.

Before anyone else jumps down my throat for defending this guy, If it was me, and I smoked alot of dope, and I had managed to get through college undetected, I would quit just long enough before I got that first gauranteed contract. If the risk of losing the millions this man will lose isnt worth it to you to quit for a few months, then you might actually have a problem.
You're fishing here. He got pulled over just outside of Monroe. Monroe is 80 percent black, so is there police department. I know.....I live in West Monroe which is 90 percent white, 2 different towns.

If the man can play football, he will not lose much.
Sadly I disagree. This will cause his draft stock to fall quite a bit, where as last year you had a guy get caught for performance enhancing drugs and he still stayed in the first round.

Ive seen him going to KC in many mocks.......not happening now I am sure of that. Look at how far Antajj Hawthorne fell last year after off-field crap before the combine, etc.

Not encouraging smoking weed - especially while driving and/or with so much to lose otherwise - but why give the cop permission to search the car? :wall:

Not encouraging smoking weed - especially while driving and/or with so much to lose otherwise - but why give the cop permission to search the car? :wall:
Because the weed was visible in a shoe in the backseat.

Not encouraging smoking weed - especially while driving and/or with so much to lose otherwise - but why give the cop permission to search the car?  :wall:
Oh, well then, that's more understandable. :mellow:

Not encouraging smoking weed - especially while driving and/or with so much to lose otherwise - but why give the cop permission to search the car?  :wall:
"Look at the feet! Look at the feet!"

Unbelievably stupid. Just cataclysmically moronic, IMO.Back in the day, I loved weed as much as anyone. But, if I were looking for a new job, or planned to start one, I would put the bong down for a month plus, just to make sure my habits didn't cost me a chance to get ahead in life. This is over a $30,000/yr. job, not the money that comes along with being a first-round NFL draft pick. This kind of lack of self-discipline is galling.And for those crying foul over the 'intent to sell' charge - that's the way it goes. One bag (under a certian amount, I believe 50g) - possession. Multiple bags, or a large quantity - intent to distribute.

Just to clarify - I am by no means a proponent of the current drug laws. I think marijuana should be decriminalized, and theoretically, this bust SHOULDN'T affect Wroten. Hell, Warren Sapp was a weedhead, and he managed a nice career for himself. All I am commenting on here is that, in light of the laws of this country, and what was/is at stake for this young man, he made about as foolish a decision as one can make. THAT alone would factor into my thinking if I were a scout for an NFL team, more so than a player's desire to get stoned now and again.

Even if you refuse a search, they will just make you wait there until they obtain a search warrant. You really can't keep them from searching you, your house, or your car if they want to.

Even if you refuse a search, they will just make you wait there until they obtain a search warrant. You really can't keep them from searching you, your house, or your car if they want to.
Not unless there's probable cause to search, which is not automatic if there's merely a traffic stop. Where was the probable cause? 'It's a moot point anyway as he had the junk hidden in plain view. What a maroon! :o

they need more reason then you simply denying them permission to search. A Judge isn;t going to give a warrant just because you were going 77 in a 65.

You're fishing here. He got pulled over just outside of Monroe. Monroe is 80 percent black, so is there police department. I know.....I live in West Monroe which is 90 percent white, 2 different towns.
Now I understand your Avatar. I lived in Monroe when Tommy Banks was still playing for West Monroe. :thumbup:

This will cause some teams to hesitate and downgrade him, but he isn't likely to lose more than a round to probably late-2nd through mid-3rd.I guess he didn't listen to pops about giving up the ganja.The greatest problem I would have is the lack of judgement. What are you doing driving around with it as a young black man? Pulled over for being BAD (Black After Dark). All the cops had to do to make a legal search is say they smelled dope.

very similar to what happened to Luis Castillio last year.
I actually view this a bit more harshly than Castillo's case, which involved 'roids. At least Castillo on some level was trying to improve his performance as a football player, however misguided the effort was. This bozo is simple smoking his mind, football career be damned.

I don't mind NFL players smoking the leaves of a plant that work as well as any "legal" painkiller on the market. Obviously the NFL doesn't feel the same way. Hopefully the government changes its policy, but it appears as though logic is thrown out the window in many instances.

If anything this slips him to the top of the 2nd round. Correct me if I'm wrong, but until he signs an NFL contract he can't be penalized under the NFL's drug program.

What a dumb ###From PFT -

WROTEN SUSPENDED FOR A YEARPosted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2008, 7:02 p.m. Rams defensive tackle Claude Wroten, a player with first-round potential who slid to round three in 2006 because of an on-again, off-again relationship with that Mexican girl named Mary Jane, now has an on-again, off-again relationship with the NFL.For the next 12 months, it’s off-again.The Rams have announced that Wroten has been suspended for one year due to a violation of the substance-abuse policy. He’ll be eligible to apply for reinstatement after the suspension ends. In the interim, he must comply with any applicable treatment plan and pass all drug tests administered by the NFL.The former LSU standout was suspended for four games in 2007.Wroten appeared in 15 games as a rookie and 11 in his second NFL season. He has zero career starts.
Like I asked two years ago - How much did loving marijuana cost a kid like this? How much will it cost others? When will teams stop drafting turds?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a dumb ###From PFT -

WROTEN SUSPENDED FOR A YEARPosted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2008, 7:02 p.m. Rams defensive tackle Claude Wroten, a player with first-round potential who slid to round three in 2006 because of an on-again, off-again relationship with that Mexican girl named Mary Jane, now has an on-again, off-again relationship with the NFL.For the next 12 months, it’s off-again.The Rams have announced that Wroten has been suspended for one year due to a violation of the substance-abuse policy. He’ll be eligible to apply for reinstatement after the suspension ends. In the interim, he must comply with any applicable treatment plan and pass all drug tests administered by the NFL.The former LSU standout was suspended for four games in 2007.Wroten appeared in 15 games as a rookie and 11 in his second NFL season. He has zero career starts.
Like I asked two years ago - How much did loving marijuana cost a kid like this? How much will it cost others? When will teams stop drafting turds?
It's one of those things where the guy kept falling and the Rams hoped that they could turn him around. At some point the turd is worth a flier. The guy looked promising on the field so this is a real shame. Have a nice season guy :shrug:

Andy Dufresne said:
When will teams stop drafting turds?
When turds stop producing like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall, Sgt. Kellen Winslow II, the late Sean Taylor, Lawrence Taylor, or a long litany of past and present players. Heck, even the second-tier turd talents like Randy McMichaels will keep getting shots. And it's not just players, either- there are all sorts of coaching turds cycling through the system, too: Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, etc.Teams take turds because they don't want to be #2.

Wow, how did I get through an entire post about turds without mentioning Najeh Davenport? :goodposting:

Andy Dufresne said:
When will teams stop drafting turds?
When turds stop producing like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall, Sgt. Kellen Winslow II, the late Sean Taylor, Lawrence Taylor, or a long litany of past and present players. Heck, even the second-tier turd talents like Randy McMichaels will keep getting shots. And it's not just players, either- there are all sorts of coaching turds cycling through the system, too: Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, etc.Teams take turds because they don't want to be #2.
I suppose you're right. There are turds in any business but high profile athlete turds are just that much more visible by nature. I guess you take your chances with turds. Some work out, some don't. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread