What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cliff Branch, **** Vermeil selected as finalists for Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2022 (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Former Raiders wide receiver Cliff Branch and 15-year NFL head coach **** Vermeil were selected Tuesday as the Senior Finalist and Coach Finalist, respectively, for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2022.  Branch, a 5-foot-11, 170-pound speedster, is credited with stretching opposing defenses over 14 seasons in the 1970s and 1980s, helping teammates Fred Biletnikoff and Dave Casper to put together their own Hall of Fame resumes.  In 183 regular-season games, Branch caught 501 passes for 8,685 yards (17.3 yards per catch) and 67 touchdowns.  Vermeil won 120 games in the regular season, leading the Philadelphia Eagles (1980) and St. Louis Rams (1999) to Super Bowl appearances.  His "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV 23-16 over the Tennessee Titans.  "Cliff Branch changed the game,"  Mark Davis, principal owner of the Raiders, said upon receiving a congratulatory phone call from David Baker, President & CEO of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  "Safeties had to be aware of him."  Branch was especially dangerous in the playoffs.  In 22 career postseason games, he caught 73 passes for 1,289 yards (17.7 average) and scored five touchdowns.  A three-time Super Bowl champion, Branch led the NFL in touchdowns twice and eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards twice.  He led the league with 1,092 receiving yards and 13 receiving touchdowns in an All-Pro 1974 season.  Overall, Branch was named All-Pro three times and selected to play in four Pro Bowls.  Vermeil had been a longtime college and pro assistant when he became head coach at UCLA (1974-75).  He used a 15-5-3 record as a springboard to the head coaching job in Philadelphia.  His ability to reconstruct the culture of the long-struggling franchise produced a winning record and playoff appearance by his third year.  His success in St. Louis followed a similar three-year timeline.  Vermeil also coached for five seasons in Kansas City.  Overall, his teams won 10 or more games six times.

Does everyone think that both Cliff Branch and **** Vermeil will be in the Hall of Fame in 2022?

Branch is long overdue. He was the best WR of the 1970's in my opinion, and has 3 rings. I was surprised Pearson got in before him, as they pretty much overlapped, and Branch was both better and more successful, and I'm of the opinion Pearson deserved to be in as well.

Vermeil I'm kinda meh on. 1 ring, 6 playoff appearances in 15 seasons, barely over .500 record. I'd say no to him.

**** Vermeil is my dark horse pick for head coach. His teams during his second stint were offensive powerhouses. We all make fun of the crying but he loved his players and they loved him and type of culture in the Locker room breeds success. 

Branch is just long overdue. Criminal he’s had to wait this long. 

Agree with consensus here on Branch.

I'm surprised Vermeil would be nominated ahead of these coaches, all of whom I think are more worthy:

• Mike Shanahan
  • Mike Holmgren
  • Tom Coughlin
  • Don Coryell

I think this is the senior committee but your point on Coryell stands. 

I read it as Senior Finalist = Branch and Coach Finalist = Vermeil. I didn't read it as Coach Finalist = Senior Coach Finalist.

I could be wrong about this, in which case maybe it explains why Vermeil would be nominated ahead of Shanahan, Holmgren, and Coughlin, but, as you acknowledged, that doesn't explain Vermeil ahead of Coryell.

I suppose they could be possibly going with Vermeil now due to age to try to get him in before he passes, since he is at least 10 years older than Shanahan, Coughlin, and Holmgren, and Coryell has already passed... but that is a tricky thing. Any of those guys could pass at any time for any number of reasons, so it seems like they should do it based on merit rather than age considerations.

I read it as Senior Finalist = Branch and Coach Finalist = Vermeil. I didn't read it as Coach Finalist = Senior Coach Finalist.

I could be wrong about this, in which case maybe it explains why Vermeil would be nominated ahead of Shanahan, Holmgren, and Coughlin, but, as you acknowledged, that doesn't explain Vermeil ahead of Coryell.

I suppose they could be possibly going with Vermeil now due to age to try to get him in before he passes, since he is at least 10 years older than Shanahan, Coughlin, and Holmgren, and Coryell has already passed... but that is a tricky thing. Any of those guys could pass at any time for any number of reasons, so it seems like they should do it based on merit rather than age considerations.
I like the old standard line of “Can you write the history of the NFL without including this guy?”

Coryell has to be included.

3 all pros in 14 seasons?  Very good, but not HOF IMHO

120 wins…barely over .500….nope. Nice guy, but average NFL head coach.  

Users who are viewing this thread