What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers, Closers in waiting, and Middle relief...... (1 Viewer)

I think they're going to stick with Dice-K. Apparently he's very finicky about getting enough warm-up time, and the only spot in the pen you can guarantee someone the full time they'll want to warm up is the closer's role.

Farnsworths velocity was down and he was seen shaken his arm after an appearance earlier this week, could be more to this.

Dice MFin K?
:goodposting:

Just got a save...
Proven closer Kyle Farnsworth pitched 3 out of the last 4 games.
So best odds are Farnsworth keeps the job for now...right? :oldunsure:
Not based on the last five years of Farnsy performance, not really.
Well it's not like recent history shines too brightly on Dice-K either...
What is Dice K's history as a short reliever?

Dice MFin K?
:goodposting:

Just got a save...
Proven closer Kyle Farnsworth pitched 3 out of the last 4 games.
So best odds are Farnsworth keeps the job for now...right? :oldunsure:
Not based on the last five years of Farnsy performance, not really.
Well it's not like recent history shines too brightly on Dice-K either...
What is Dice K's history as a short reliever?
It's short :shrug:

Josh Fields can go straight to hell.
I was really starting to think that maybe a solid closer had just slipped right under the radar in all this HOU mess.Now, he's given up 8R in his last 0.1 inning pitched.
I picked up Bass and Albers a while ago thinking one would get the job. But Bass sucks and Albers got hurt at the wrong time. I'm not sure there will be anybody in Houston worth holding onto.

I was really starting to think that maybe a solid closer had just slipped right under the radar in all this HOU mess.Now, he's given up 8R in his last 0.1 inning pitched.
I picked up Bass and Albers a while ago thinking one would get the job. But Bass sucks and Albers got hurt at the wrong time. I'm not sure there will be anybody in Houston worth holding onto.
Jesse Crain if/when he comes back

Still trying to decide whether to keep Fields or grab Qualls. I want out of this altogether, but I can't afford to cut spec saves (Frieri owner). No matter how desperate though, I will not own 2 HOU RP's. A man has to have standards.

I'll roll with Qualls, I think. He actually wasn't terrible last year, and he's you know, proven.

Hey, who do you guys "like" more Qualls or any of the OAK gaggle (Gregerson, Doolittle, Cook)?Gotta be Qualls, right?
maybe I'm on an island here, but I try to stay away from Qualls types this time of year, they can wreck your ratios while chasing saves. Establish ratios, chase saves later. Roster skills now.

Michael Kohn and Gonzalez Germen have missed a lot of bats and are in situations that could net them saves eventually. Deep league, but I added them today. Short term help with ratios and ks, potential long term save options. AJ Ramos too, but he is behind a more established closer.

Hey, who do you guys "like" more Qualls or any of the OAK gaggle (Gregerson, Doolittle, Cook)?Gotta be Qualls, right?
maybe I'm on an island here, but I try to stay away from Qualls types this time of year, they can wreck your ratios while chasing saves. Establish ratios, chase saves later. Roster skills now.
I'm sure it's league dependent, but I'm definitely in the "just chase saves" camp. Though I play in a league without generic "P" spots. If you go an extended period of time without 3 guys getting saves, you really can't make that up later in the season (unless you get a Dice-K and he's getting saves).

I'd love to protect the ratios, but it's almost impossible to walk through the saves minefield unscathed. Hell, this is one of the few seasons I actually paid a little bit for decent closers ($30/$200 for 5 guys) because it seemed to offer more value compared to other positions this year. Balfour, Nathan, and Frieri certainly aren't helping the ratios to this point (not that that's any big surprise on the latter).

Michael Kohn and Gonzalez Germen have missed a lot of bats and are in situations that could net them saves eventually. Deep league, but I added them today. Short term help with ratios and ks, potential long term save options. AJ Ramos too, but he is behind a more established closer.
Kohn misses bats along with everything else.

Raul Valdes (no relation to Juan or Ismael) in for the save for the Astros.

Here's an idea Dr D, drop all Astros relievers and don't pick up another one in 2014.

Thanks, Godspeed.

Farnsworth gets the 10th and gives up a jack to Salty

Dice K takes over, doesn't he?

Ridiculous value as a SP eligible guy.

OMG I have all these terrible closers on one particular team, just killing me. Santos meltdown tonight, I give up. I should have just punted saves. :bag:

Santos will not get Jays next save opp. If speculating, I'd grab Cecil but Loup Delabar could be in there too, get well soon Casey :(

Not groundbreaking and, for most, not terribly important, but Porter said Qualls and Bass will share closer duties.

I think I'm sticking with the proven closer Qualls. Bass seems keep getting used in multi-inning situations and doesn't strike anybody out. Or maybe Porter's old school and wants a closer out there 2-3 innings at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread