What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coal, it's clean, right? (1 Viewer)

Generally speaking, when renewable energy is produced, it needs to be fed into the grid and used.  And that's a problem if the wind only blows at night like it does in, say, Texas.  So I think a battery storage for renewable energy is a problem to solve first (and it's getting there) and then we can address replacing coal. 
This is key. Good thing the American government is whole heartedly behind advancement in these fields and not clinging onto old tech, like coal.

Battery tech improvement would be a wothwhile "moon mission" that would propel the US to the forefront of tech. And maybe there are private companies on the cusp of solving that. But maybe those companies are in China or Germany or....

Interesting but this article doesn't discuss the cost to do something of this magnitude.   Or how much it would cost to maintain it.  And how we would get the power from the eSahara to the places that use it.  And the cost and maintenance of that.

Maybe it did...but I didn't see it there.  I mean we may as well say we could build a gigantic laser beam that pulls energy directly from the sun
So, today you learned that, WEF considers solar cheaper and a better investment than coal, that covering less than 1,5% of the Earth with solar panels could power the entire planet.

Wouldn't you sa that's a successful day?

We'll solve the rest tomorrow.

I think what's next is the bigger challenge we have with wind and solar and that's energy storage.  Generally speaking, when renewable energy is produced, it needs to be fed into the grid and used.  And that's a problem if the wind only blows at night like it does in, say, Texas.  So I think a battery storage for renewable energy is a problem to solve first (and it's getting there) and then we can address replacing coal. 

That's a lot of storage. I'm thinking a global power grid could significantly reduce the storage requirement. It's always sunny and/or windy somewhere.

Of course, the nations on this planet barely trust each other as it is so maybe I'm dreaming, but that seems like a more efficient solution to me.

What are the cheaper, cleaner and safer alternatives to coal?  And if they exist, why wouldn't we use them if they are cleaner safer and cheaper?  I ask this because I can't get the quote out of my head  "an electric car is a coal car".   

I don't think solar or wind are sufficient to get the same amount of energy.  Cleaner? You betcha.  Safer?  Maybe.  Cheaper...not by a long shot.  Nuclear?  Cheaper...By leaps and bounds...Cleaner?   to use yes, to dispose of no.   Safer?  Well that can be argued each way.  

I would think if there were a source that was all of those things, we would be using it.   I'm curious what that energy source is.
Why is coal dying then? I’m just pointing out that Trump ran on bringing back coal and more plants have closed. It’s obsolete.

Why is coal dying then? I’m just pointing out that Trump ran on bringing back coal and more plants have closed. It’s obsolete.
While coal production has definitely been on the decline, it's a huge stretch to say it's anywhere near dying or obsolete. Coal is still 30% of the US electricity mix. It is also currently experiencing a mini-boom in exports to Asia.

According to the 2017 EIA, coal will maintain its current production levels until 2050 (bringing back the CPP, however, could shave 40% off that).

Solar and wind are definitely coming down in price, but they suffer from two huge additional drawbacks...with no solutions anywhere on the horizon: 1) utility-scale plants require new transmission facilities and 2) variable generation.

Coal's huge advantage is to provide "baseload" electricity (i.e. not variable)...at a cheap price...with an existing transportation system (railroads) to take it to demand centers.

The forces that have caused coal to lose some recent market share are not near enough to send the industry to its grave. It will need a big push.

While coal production has definitely been on the decline, it's a huge stretch to say it's anywhere near dying or obsolete. Coal is still 30% of the US electricity mix. It is also currently experiencing a mini-boom in exports to Asia.

According to the 2017 EIA, coal will maintain its current production levels until 2050 (bringing back the CPP, however, could shave 40% off that).

Solar and wind are definitely coming down in price, but they suffer from two huge additional drawbacks...with no solutions anywhere on the horizon: 1) utility-scale plants require new transmission facilities and 2) variable generation.

Coal's huge advantage is to provide "baseload" electricity (i.e. not variable)...at a cheap price...with an existing transportation system (railroads) to take it to demand centers.

The forces that have caused coal to lose some recent market share are not near enough to send the industry to its grave. It will need a big push.
can you link to that?  TIA

msommer said:
So, today you learned that, WEF considers solar cheaper and a better investment than coal, that covering less than 1,5% of the Earth with solar panels could power the entire planet.

Wouldn't you sa that's a successful day?

We'll solve the rest tomorrow.
I don't think we came to the same conclusions.  But cool.  

Again, I wonder why major electric providers throughout the United States are not using solar and wind since it is cheaper, cleaner and safer..Many of these are pubicly traded entities and have a responsibility to their shareholders to reduce costs.  Why havent they changed?

I don't think we came to the same conclusions.  But cool.  

Again, I wonder why major electric providers throughout the United States are not using solar and wind since it is cheaper, cleaner and safer..Many of these are pubicly traded entities and have a responsibility to their shareholders to reduce costs.  Why havent they changed?
If as you imply there is something still wrong with renewable energy stopping implementation in the US, you might as well be wondering why companies in 2017 invested more than 360 bn in renewable energy when US providers only invested 40 bn (approx 11%).

FYI in 2018 the world installed 100GW of solar (highest ever), despite the investment in dollar terms dropped 24% (signifying further reduced prices...) 

Last edited by a moderator:
If as you imply there is something still wrong with renewable energy stopping implementation in the US, you might as well be wondering why companies in 2017 invested more than 360 bn in renewable energy when US providers only invested 40 bn (approx 11%).

FYI in 2018 the world installed 100GW of solar (highest ever), despite the investment in dollar terms dropped 24% (signifying further reduced prices...) 
I am not clear why it appears I am "implying there is something wrong with renewable energy stopping implementation in the US"     I would love to put soilar panels on my house and get off the grid..would LOVE to...Won't happen in Michigan. Or Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio.  etc etc.....So what are our options?

I am not clear why it appears I am "implying there is something wrong with renewable energy stopping implementation in the US"     I would love to put soilar panels on my house and get off the grid..would LOVE to...Won't happen in Michigan. Or Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio.  etc etc.....So what are our options?
Put them in a place with sun and transport the energy in, whatchamacallit, wires?

Put them in a place with sun and transport the energy in, whatchamacallit, wires?
Seems simple enough.  Jeez.....We should be doing this now!!  Oh wait...Isn't that easy.

It's sunny and HOT In death valley every single day...Why dont we just run wires to Detroit?  I mean heck!!

Put like whirligigthingys where there's wind, like in coastal areas, maybe?

Seems simple enough.  Jeez.....We should be doing this now!!  Oh wait...Isn't that easy
Ask your local power company.

Invest in power companies that do invest in renewables (for better future ROI)

Instead of just :shrug:  and ask to be spoonfed information

Ask your local power company.

Invest in power companies that do invest in renewables (for better future ROI)

Instead of just :shrug:  and ask to be spoonfed information
Fair.  My questions go beyond what you can answer... I had the impression this was a discussion thread..and I wasn't aware this was just here to agree without questioning.  But now I know.  Thank you for your time and happy hump day

The efficiencies from hydro, solar, and wind vs. creating thermal energy and then converting to electricity more than make up for the 8-15% loss in transmission lines.
What are you talking about?  Loss is relative to distance, voltage, etc.  The loss would be completely dependent on the specifics.  The point is, you can’t just put massive solar or wind facilities in one spot and funnel that power around.

What are you talking about?  Loss is relative to distance, voltage, etc.  The loss would be completely dependent on the specifics.  The point is, you can’t just put massive solar or wind facilities in one spot and funnel that power around.
The loss of electricity in transmission lines is 8-15%. The use of fuels ( coal, natural gas, petroleum or nuclear) to create thermal energy, that heats water to create steam, that drives a turbine and makes electricity, is in itself, inefficient. In this process, barely 2/3 of the energy in these fuels make it to the power grid. 

Might want to brush up on thermodynamics.

The loss of electricity in transmission lines is 8-15%. The use of fuels ( coal, natural gas, petroleum or nuclear) to create thermal energy, that heats water to create steam, that drives a turbine and makes electricity, is in itself, inefficient. In this process, barely 2/3 of the energy in these fuels make it to the power grid. 

Might want to brush up on thermodynamics.
Is that loss the same over any distance?  So a line that runs 5 miles loses the same electricity as one that runs 1000 miles?

Whats the point?  How many wind turbines do you think would be necessary to power a city like Toledo?

I am not here saying wind power doesn't exist..Was that your take?
Just making a correction. Coastline isn't necessary for wind farms. Drive in west Texas on I-10 between san antnio and el Paso and you'll see the worlds largest windfarm.

I'm not trying to argue here. Just adding information. :)

Just making a correction. Coastline isn't necessary for wind farms. Drive in west Texas on I-10 between san antnio and el Paso and you'll see the worlds largest windfarm.

I'm not trying to argue here. Just adding information. :)
Yes..I see them everywhere.   

Austin Energy buys wind power from farms near Brownsville and Amarillo.
I'm not sure if those posting these things are missing the point, or what.  I don't think there is any debate whatsoever that solar power and wind power exist.  Can we all agree this is true?  For me, the better question is--is it feasible as a full solution for the growing energy needs of the US?  I say no.  I say we will always rely on coal and other fossil fuels.  We use them today because, well mostly, they are cheap.  And everyone in a market economy cares about cheap!

Why what?  Why do people who live in a market economy care about cheap?
Sorry I'm on my phone..

Why do you think we will always rely on fossil, I mean despite that its logically impossible and that we just started alternative energy tech a few decades ago and are nearly the same at cost/kwhr

Scroll up.  I explained why in my post.

And the cost/kwhr is NOT THE SAME!!!   NOT NOT NOT....To make it--maybe--possibly..

The capital investment, the transportation, the storage must be included in this cost.  You can't ignore this.  Please.

Scroll up.  I explained why in my post.

And the cost/kwhr is NOT THE SAME!!!   NOT NOT NOT....To make it--maybe--possibly..

The capital investment, the transportation, the storage must be included in this cost.  You can't ignore this.  Please.
you're right.  its not the same.  the cost/kw-hr for wind in TX is less than coal.

Your 8%-15% is not a static number, it’s a function of our current delivery system where power is created near the end user.  If you change that and say, put them all “in a place with sun and transport the energy in, whatchamacallit, wires?” your loss rates are going to increase substantially.

Energy conversion efficiency is already factored into cost.
The current delivery system probably wouldn't be used for long-distance transmissions, though. Right? Just multiplying the current loss rate times a higher distance isn't necessarily the right way to look at it, if long-distance transmissions rely on a different technology (with different loss rates). China and Brazil are transmitting a few THOUSAND kilometers via HVDC.

I'I say we will always rely on coal and other fossil fuels.  We use them today because, well mostly, they are cheap.  And everyone in a market economy cares about cheap!
Fossil fuels are only cheap because the economic externalities of burning them have historically not been factored into their price.

That is changing. Fewer new coal plants are being built because of climate change investment risk...which will ultimately raise the cost of capital and work its way into the price of all fossil fuels.

Oh FFS.  I can’t tell if you are an idiot or just being obtuse.

Your 8%-15% is not a static number, it’s a function of our current delivery system where power is created near the end user.  If you change that and say, put them all “in a place with sun and transport the energy in, whatchamacallit, wires?” your loss rates are going to increase substantially.

Energy conversion efficiency is already factored into cost.
Please let's not do the "idiot" stuff. Thank you. 

The current delivery system probably wouldn't be used for long-distance transmissions, though. Right? Just multiplying the current loss rate times a higher distance isn't necessarily the right way to look at it, if long-distance transmissions rely on a different technology (with different loss rates). China and Brazil are transmitting a few THOUSAND kilometers via HVDC.
Sure.  If we build a new energy grid things could be different.  I don’t see that happening any time soon.

yeah...you're not being genuine.  out.
I just don't get it.  I'm being told by some here..That wind and solar are cleaner, cheaper, and safer.  Yet it isn't taking over.  That literally makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would a power company CHOOSE to not use a safer, cleaner and cheaper form of energy to supply their customers.  Don't you see hos weak of an argument that is?  There most  be something more.

Sure.  If we build a new energy grid things could be different.  I don’t see that happening any time soon.
Why is "a new energy grid" necessary? I'm no expert, but it looks like other countries are augmenting existing grids in this manner, not completely replacing whatever they had before.

Meanwhile, back on the topic of coal...

Trump just told TVA to keep a coal-fired power plant open. TVA responded with:

This is our response to the President's tweet earlier this evening: Mr. President, coal is an important part of TVA’s power generation mix and we will give serious consideration to all factors as we make this decision.
TVA board meets tomorrow to determine how they will proceed, but it looks like their research suggests closing that plant in KY (the one that buys coal from Trump's friend) and another coal-fired plant in TN. We'll see what they decide.

Decent overview of the situation and history of the (potentially) affected plants.

:confused:

Not what when burning coal?
Electricity from burning coal surely doesn't get lost in the wires, right (and the trucks/trains that drive the coals around surely doesn't use any energy, considering you are moving to a more olistic approach)?

I just don't get it.  I'm being told by some here..That wind and solar are cleaner, cheaper, and safer.  Yet it isn't taking over.  That literally makes no sense whatsoever.  Why would a power company CHOOSE to not use a safer, cleaner and cheaper form of energy to supply their customers.  Don't you see hos weak of an argument that is?  There most  be something more.
Dude, you've been told that power companies invested 40 bn in renewable energy in 2017. You've even been shown a graph (if you clicked on the link) that showed the increasing investments in renewables since 2004. And for every piece of information you revert to "I just don't get it - why isn't it already here". 

Why do you insist that Rome has to be built in one day?

And this is why people disengage 

Electricity from burning coal surely doesn't get lost in the wires, right (and the trucks/trains that drive the coals around surely doesn't use any energy, considering you are moving to a more olistic approach)?
There you go!!! Total cost!! Excellent point!  Coal must be trucked and/or railed to destination....Solar and wind, of course do not.   Good point.  Not sure the total impact there, but that's a good one.  That's a lifetime cost of burning coal.  

So interesting for me would be to lay out the year over year of coal transportation Vs the up front capital investment for solar and wind and see where that lays out.  Lots to do in that there but I applaud you finally looking beyond what feels good.

Users who are viewing this thread